Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,832

Re: Delaware Bluecoats Discussion 

Post#41 » by mjkvol » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:16 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:Reed in the G-league is pointless. I have my doubts he'll ever be an NBA rotation player but you have to give him run and let him make mistakes. If the Covid situation had him mostly nailed to the bench I don't see any hope he'd get a fair shake. May as well trade him for a couple of good 2nds. Some tanking team like the Rockets could try to see if they can create a player.

This exactly. He has shown an ability to guard good players and he provides a ton of energy. I don't get how a guy like that isn't worth having on the end of the bench for certain spots. He's not learning a thing dominating the G-League.

Him toiling away on the bench and playing mop up duty during prime development years isn't optimal, either. I'd rather him in the G-league playing 30 mpg than the alternative. Same goes for Bassey and Joe. Can't waste development time with young players.

That makes sense, but are you planning on bringing him up at some point? Kid has the potential to be a stopper, which is an invaluable post season asset.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#42 » by stormi » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:33 pm

I wonder what exactly our skills & player development team looks like.

There needs to be some sort of plan in place for our young players to eventually develop into cogs on a winning / championship team.

When I look at guys like Shake and Thybulle, the amount of maturation in their games year to year is disappointing. Shake still handles the ball like a grenade and moves around the court like he's laboring in pain. Also rampant tunnel vision dribbling and refusing to take 3's.

Thybulle even more drastically. Who told him that it was ever beneficial for him to pump fake at the 3 point line and put the ball on the floor. His form isn't even bad too so I'm not sure why he's so gunshy.

Reed is suffering the same fate. When he's in the game he has no idea what he should and should not do. It's unorganized chaos that sometimes comes to a positive result. He should be doing nothing but guarding opposing teams best forwards and standing in the corner. Or develop him like a big and let him work down low. Or give him the creative freedom if you think there's a point forward in there.

That's the issue I guess with attempting to win while also dispersing young talent into your roster pool. But then again, Masai and co. did it with Siakam, FVV, Powell and OG and it ultimately aided a championship, so I'm not buying that.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,731

Post#43 » by Mik317 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:53 pm

young guys are scared to **** up because Doc will pull them and never play them again. Joe lost all of his mojo from preaseason. Maxey is the least shook because there aren't any other options but if Shake wasn't buns and put together a nice streak...he'd be starting.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#44 » by Kobblehead » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:53 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
This exactly. He has shown an ability to guard good players and he provides a ton of energy. I don't get how a guy like that isn't worth having on the end of the bench for certain spots. He's not learning a thing dominating the G-League.

Him toiling away on the bench and playing mop up duty during prime development years isn't optimal, either. I'd rather him in the G-league playing 30 mpg than the alternative. Same goes for Bassey and Joe. Can't waste development time with young players.

That makes sense, but are you planning on bringing him up at some point? Kid has the potential to be a stopper, which is an invaluable post season asset.

Yeah, once he develops a reliable jumpshot so he contribute on the offensive end by spacing the floor. Otherwise, in the halfcourt, he's just in the way.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by mjkvol » Wed Dec 1, 2021 6:34 am

Watching these G-League clips is like watching a playground game with good players. Why aren't the coaches working on developing players, improving their weak points and stressing the things they need to do to land with the big club and become solid pros?

Springer should be taking some 3's and floaters - we know he can beat up on those guards, but he's not going to be able to do that routinely in the NBA. Same goes for Reed - work on catch and shoot 3's to become an asset on offense. These games are more like scrimmages with no rhyme or reason.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,742

Post#46 » by Negrodamus » Fri Dec 3, 2021 2:20 pm

Lol, Miles McBride is going complete animalistic mode in the G League right now. 3 games, 28ppg, 5rpg, 8 apg, 2spg.

Overqualified for the G League but unfortunately has a head coach who is diametrically opposed to playing rookies. Lets see how the Knicks botch this career.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,742

Post#47 » by Negrodamus » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Oh, my, god. It’s happening.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,808

Post#48 » by Stanford » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:06 am

oh ffs
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#49 » by Kobblehead » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:09 am

Honestly, this will improve the product. Powell is pretty fun to watch. He bombs away and gets red hot. Happy for Negro finally getting his guy in the organization!
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#50 » by Skates » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:39 am

Riller out 4-6 months with a shoulder injury. Had to fill that spot with a playable body.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#51 » by Kobblehead » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:11 pm

Mavs took Charlie Brown from us. Signed him to a 10 day.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#52 » by stormi » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:28 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Lol, Miles McBride is going complete animalistic mode in the G League right now. 3 games, 28ppg, 5rpg, 8 apg, 2spg.

Overqualified for the G League but unfortunately has a head coach who is diametrically opposed to playing rookies. Lets see how the Knicks botch this career.

Feels good being on team Miles. You def sold me on him and going into the draft I saw no difference in the caliber of prospect between him and Davion. Besides first step explosiveness I think Miles has him edged in every other offensive category. Saw no reason Davion was consistently ranked as a semi high lottery pick and Miles into round 2.

Tracking Springer vs. Hyland / McBride / Cooper / Butler / Mann over the coming years will be extremely fun and hopefully not too painful.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#53 » by Kobblehead » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:04 pm

I wonder if Haywood Highsmith will eventually get a look this year. With his size and newfound jumpshot, maybe he can bring something to the table.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,713

Post#54 » by phillynative » Mon Jan 3, 2022 11:38 am

Kobblehead wrote:I wonder if Haywood Highsmith will eventually get a look this year. With his size and newfound jumpshot, maybe he can bring something to the table.

Don't understand why he hasn't been called up yet
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#55 » by Tomjas » Mon Jan 3, 2022 9:37 pm

phillynative wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:I wonder if Haywood Highsmith will eventually get a look this year. With his size and newfound jumpshot, maybe he can bring something to the table.

Don't understand why he hasn't been called up yet

Signed by Heat

https://www.nba.com/heat/news/heat-signs-haywood-highsmith
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#56 » by Kobblehead » Mon Jan 3, 2022 11:03 pm

Daryl let our two most NBA ready G-Leaguers get snatched up.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#57 » by Monix » Tue Jan 4, 2022 12:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,808

Post#58 » by Stanford » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:40 pm

Read on Twitter

SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,536

Post#59 » by SixthStreet » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:04 pm

I'm not a Springer fan but he looked pretty good in those highlights.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by mjkvol » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:19 pm

We already knew Springer could beat up on G-League guards and get to the rim, but it's nice to see some perimeter scoring from him. I still wish he had spent one more season at UT, but he was always going to be a one-and-done.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers