Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Re: The Official Jazz Off-Topic Thread 

Post#621 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Jan 1, 2022 7:15 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Started watching season 2 of The Witcher. Unfortunately, same issues from season 1 persist so far. And man, do I hate the casting in this show. Other than Cavill who does a good job (and a few others like Jaskier/Dandelion and Ciri, though they made her much older than what she is in the books at this point of the story) they cast so many people who don't fit their role and have no charisma of gravitas that it undermines the entire show.

God I hate Jaskier, lol, I wish they'd just cut him from the show. I've enjoyed it, but never played the games or read the books.

TL;DR
If you haven't read the books, don't let this show impact your view on the source material. Read the books and play the games. They are amazing.

I finished watching season 2 and I have absolutely no faith in the show runners, who should be replaced immediately. They've done a terrible job on so many fronts. The casting is terrible. I'm trying not to break my own rules when it comes to injecting politics here, I only wish the show runners had done the same and did not sacrifice the quality of the show in order to further a real world social/political agenda in a fantasy show by casting actors and actresses that don't fit. The books and games left them a fantastic template and a strong foundation for how to approach this show and they simply ignored it.

As I mentioned earlier, imho most of the characters on the show are miscast. I'm not crazy about Jaskier's casting decision either because I don't think the way he is portrayed is very faithful to the books, but I think the actor has enough comedic talent to make it work with what he's given. But other than Cavill and the actress who portrays Ciri, there is zero charisma and screen presence.

I don't think the show is redeemable at this point. Other than the first episode, the writers completely ignored the books and had the arrogance to write their own story which obviously is much inferior to the source material (books) or the games. And the showrunner had the unmitigated gull to speak before the season aired about how important it is to her to stick to the books and that she doesn't see the need to add anything to them, only to then completely discard what happens in the books. For the record, other than the first episode, nothing in season 2 happens in the books, in case this season turns people off of reading the books. They just took some important plot points from the books and wrote an entirely different story.

On that note, straying that far from the books and completely ignoring them is unforgivable, but also incredibly stupid. When Game of Thrones ran out of source material after season 5 (?), there was huge drop in the writing quality and the show became pretty bad, because the writers had to write their own stories around general plot points they got from GRR Martin, and obviously they weren't nearly as talented. But they had an excuse--they simply outpaced the books and ran out of source material. This isn't the case here. The book saga is finished. They have all the source material they could ever need, and yet, they decided to ignore all of it already in season 2. How arrogant do you have to be to think you could write something better, and why would you even try when the saga is complete and so good? Nobody is watching this show to see what stories the writers will invent from thin air--the reason they have an audience in the first place is because of the books and the games.

The reason I don't think the show is redeemable is the showrunner isn't going to be replaced, and that they have already strayed too far from the books and managed to reveal very important things that don't happen until the end of the last book while only in season 2, with weak reveals to boot. Also, the tone of the show is all over the place, and it sometime looks like something silly for teens like those Xena and Hercules shows instead of being much more serious like Game of Thrones, or The Wheel of Time (it's pretty good, I have to say).

Anyway, I've ranted long enough, even though I have so much more to say. If anyone managed to get through all of this and is looking for one takeaway, it's this--read the books and play the games. They are both amazing. The show does them no justice. They are incredible. No need to wait for the author to finish them either--the story is complete. Don't let the show mar your opinion of this franchise and dissuade you from checking it out. Do it--you won't regret it. Start with the books--they are awesome and my personal favorite fantasy series. And if anyone is wondering: yes, they are better than the A Song of Ice and Fire books (Game of Thrones).
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#622 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Jan 1, 2022 7:31 pm

On a related note (sort of) regarding books, I just finished The Three-Body Problem (the first of the three books in the series) by Liu Cixin, and I really liked it. Anyone who likes hard science fiction should check it out. Already started with the second book.

BTW, the books are being adapted to the screen both by Netflix with the Game of Thrones writers David Benioff and D. B. Weiss and since the books are complete, there's a chance that it'll actually be good, since they won't have to invent anything themselves. Tencent is also making its own adaptation (there is a already a trailer), so it's possible at least one of them will be released in 2022.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#623 » by El Hespiritu » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:31 pm

I guess I'm not the only one watching Peacemaker.

It's good.
Like astonishing good.

Best Original Soundtrack TV Serie
Ever.

Prove me wrong.

Read on Twitter

(This is the official theme song for this season's Nomades Indianos Ghost Bandwagon)
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#624 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:48 am

Yeah, Peacemaker is great. It's hilarious. Highly recommended.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#625 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:15 pm

So I finally finished the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy (The Three-Body Problem, The Dark Forest, Death's End) by Cixin Liu and while I have some issues with it (mainly the third book), I came away very impressed. It's an excellent series that deserves the hype. While I know the first book has already been filmed, I think this trilogy is going to be very challenging for screen adaptation (it's being adapted by Netflix by the Game of Thrones creators), especially the third book.

I can't really talk about this series without spoiling things, including saying what it's about since that will spoil the first book, but I can wholeheartedly recommend this series to anyone who likes science fiction--it's very much worth a read.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#626 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:45 am

I watched 'Hustle' yesterday, and I have to say that I enjoyed it. It's been a while since I last watched a sports movie.

It is starring GobertReport's favorite, Adam Sandler, who is doing a good job in a serious role. And...it's also starring our very own Juancho Hernangómez in a lead role, and he's doing a very good job, so much respect.

Of course, the movie has many NBA cameos throughout, and it's quite fun.

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#627 » by AingesBurner » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:53 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I watched 'Hustle' yesterday, and I have to say that I enjoyed it. It's been a while since I last watched a sports movie.

It is starring GobertReport's favorite, Adam Sandler, who is doing a good job in a serious role. And...it's also starring our very own Juancho Hernangómez in a lead role, and he's doing a very good job, so much respect.

Of course, the movie has many NBA cameos throughout, and it's quite fun.

Hahahaha :lol: best Adam Sandler movie since That’s My Boy.
Ingles is cooked.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#628 » by FJS » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:27 pm

No movement sin June 21st.

Time to standard topic.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#629 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:04 pm

I'm contemplating investing time in watching House of the Dragon, but am somewhat leery given how the last several Game of Thrones seasons ended up (sucking). Has anyone watched it? Is it worth my time?

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#630 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:25 pm

Since it's the season for this kind of stuff, I thought give my thoughts on a few recent horror movies:

1. Terrifier 2 - I waited three years for this one, and having seen it, I'm satisfied. While it has improved on many aspects from the first movie, I don't know if I would say it's necessarily better, but it's not a knock because I really liked the first Terrifier. It's definitely gory but I think it's a little over-hyped in that regard (good PR though) but still, I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who likes horror movies and isn't squimish/likes gore. It's good to have Art the Clown back, that's all I'll say.

2. Barbarian - over-hyped. I saw raving reviews about this one everywhere. Couldn't find a bad one. While it's well-directed, well-shot, and well-acted, it is overall a disappointment. I wouldn't say it's a bad movie, but it's not a very good one either. I starts well and is intriguing, but falls apart halfway through and stops making much sense. While it is unpredictable to some degree I didn't like the direction the movie chose to go. I'll honestly say you can skip this one and not feel like you missed anything.

3. Halloween Ends - it sucks. Don't watch it.

4. Deadstream - it's a cute movie with an Evil Dead vibe. The best part of it is the house it takes place in, it look absolutely phenomenal. Doesn't take itself too seriously, it's kind of a horror comedy almost.

5. Hellraiser (2022) - it's a competent movie from a technical standpoint. It looks good and is well-directed. Alas, the story itself is very different from the book or the first movie, and the main protagonist is very unlikable in my opinion and I don't relish the thought of potentially following this character for several movies. The Cenobites are hit and miss imho, who look more like some kind of androids than kinky S&M hell servants (especially the Hell priest). I will say that the actress who plays pinhead does a good job, though. Their design is very clean and clinical almost, in sharp contrast to other movies in this franchise. Their designs are ok, but don't feel icky or bloody at all. Overall, is it better than first movie? No. Is it better than Hellraiser 2? No. Is it the best movie in the franchise other than the first two movies? Yes, but that's because the bar is very low and the rest of the movies in that franchise suck.

6. Pearl - the good: The movie is absolutely gorgeous, with great visual style and vivid colors. Very well-directed. It would never happen, but it should win some awards for how visually beautiful it is. Mia Goth is phenomenal and should be nominated for an Oscar for her performance. It is a very good movie. The bad - much like The Babadook and The Nightingale, it's not a good horror movie. These movies work well as dramas, but not as horror movies. Having said that, it's a really good movie that I highly recommend. And even though X came first, it would actually make more sense to watch Pearl first and then watch X.

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#631 » by AingesBurner » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:06 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:Since it's the season for this kind of stuff, I thought give my thoughts on a few recent horror movies:

1. Terrifier 2 - I waited three years for this one, and having seen it, I'm satisfied. While it has improved on many aspects from the first movie, I don't know if I would say it's necessarily better, but it's not a knock because I really liked the first Terrifier. It's definitely gory but I think it's a little over-hyped in that regard (good PR though) but still, I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who likes horror movies and isn't squimish/likes gore. It's good to have Art the Clown back, that's all I'll say.

2. Barbarian - over-hyped. I saw raving reviews about this one everywhere. Couldn't find a bad one. While it's well-directed, well-shot, and well-acted, it is overall a disappointment. I wouldn't say it's a bad movie, but it's not a very good one either. I starts well and is intriguing, but falls apart halfway through and stops making much sense. While it is unpredictable to some degree I didn't like the direction the movie chose to go. I'll honestly say you can skip this one and not feel like you missed anything.

3. Halloween Ends - it sucks. Don't watch it.

4. Deadstream - it's a cute movie with an Evil Dead vibe. The best part of it is the house it takes place in, it look absolutely phenomenal. Doesn't take itself too seriously, it's kind of a horror comedy almost.

5. Hellraiser (2022) - it's a competent movie from a technical standpoint. It looks good and is well-directed. Alas, the story itself is very different from the book or the first movie, and the main protagonist is very unlikable in my opinion and I don't relish the thought of potentially following this character for several movies. The Cenobites are hit and miss imho, who look more like some kind of androids than kinky S&M hell servants (especially the Hell priest). I will say that the actress who plays pinhead does a good job, though. Their design is very clean and clinical almost, in sharp contrast to other movies in this franchise. Their designs are ok, but don't feel icky or bloody at all. Overall, is it better than first movie? No. Is it better than Hellraiser 2? No. Is it the best movie in the franchise other than the first two movies? Yes, but that's because the bar is very low and the rest of the movies in that franchise suck.

6. Pearl - the good: The movie is absolutely gorgeous, with great visual style and vivid colors. Very well-directed. It would never happen, but it should win some awards for how visually beautiful it is. Mia Goth is phenomenal and should be nominated for an Oscar for her performance. It is a very good movie. The bad - much like The Babadook and The Nightingale, it's not a good horror movie. These movies work well as dramas, but not as horror movies. Having said that, it's a really good movie that I highly recommend. And even though X came first, it would actually make more sense to watch Pearl first and then watch X.

Halloween Ends was terrible, they should have killed off Curtis.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#632 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:20 pm

AingesBurner wrote:Halloween Ends was terrible, they should have killed off Curtis.

I doubt they would ever do that (no cajonas), but it does actually makes sense, since we all know there will be more Halloween movies. She was also a very annoying an unlikable character in this recent trilogy, I was honestly rooting for Michael Myers.

Regardless, it was a movie that betrayed it's own ethos and made very little sense, and had very little of the main draw, which is Michael Myers.

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#633 » by AingesBurner » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:54 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:Halloween Ends was terrible, they should have killed off Curtis.

I doubt they would ever do that (no cajonas), but it does actually makes sense, since we all know there will be more Halloween movies. She was also a very annoying an unlikable character in this recent trilogy, I was honestly rooting for Michael Myers.

Regardless, it was a movie that betrayed it's own ethos and made very little sense, and had very little of the main draw, which is Michael Myers.

I agree with every single point. Killing her off would have extended the franchise to a new era.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#634 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Nov 2, 2022 2:26 pm

It was announced recently that Henry Cavill will leave The Witcher after season 3.

A lot of fans are mad that he's being replaced by Liam Hemsworth but imho that's missing the point because even if he'll be just as good as Cavill, the show will suck, just as it does with Cavill. It's such a poorly written show. Respect to Cavill (who is very passionate about the Witcher books and games) for recognizing that the showrunner and the writers have already ruined this show beyond the point of salvation and for choosing to leave instead of being forced to continue to contribute to the debasement of the source material.

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#635 » by AingesBurner » Wed Nov 2, 2022 6:49 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:It was announced recently that Henry Cavill will leave The Witcher after season 3.

A lot of fans are mad that he's being replaced by Liam Hemsworth but imho that's missing the point because even if he'll be just as good as Cavill, the show will suck, just as it does with Cavill. It's such a poorly written show. Respect to Cavill (who is very passionate about the Witcher books and games) for recognizing that the showrunner and the writers have already ruined this show beyond the point of salvation and for choosing to leave instead of being forced to continue to contribute to the debasement of the source material.

I watched two episodes and could not handle any more.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#636 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Nov 2, 2022 7:12 pm

AingesBurner wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:It was announced recently that Henry Cavill will leave The Witcher after season 3.

I watched two episodes and could not handle any more.

I envy you. I wish I could have spared myself from seeing them destroy my favorite fantasy book series.

ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#637 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:14 am

Return to Utah Jazz