ImageImage

TRADE DEADLINE FEB 10TH.

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

What SHOULD we do?

1. Changes by making every big player but Dame, available for trade.
63%
2. Changes by making just Dame mostly, available for trade.
21%
3. Stay the course with the roster and try to win as many as we can.
No votes
4. Stay the course with the roster, but tank. Get management. Get Healthy. Get Pick.
8%
5. OTHER. Maybe 1&2. 2&4. Is there a 5th PATH? Sell the team?
8%

Total votes: 24

GEE
Starter
And1: 333

TRADE DEADLINE FEB 10TH. 

Post#1 » by GEE » Sun Jan 2, 2022 6:27 pm

It's a new year and the trade deadline is less than 40 days away. I wanted to see what direction fans would like to take this team, as I feel we are at a major cross roads. With the deadline approaching, I added a poll to show what I think are the four basic paths this team can take. Trade ideas welcome as always, but I'm really curious what you all think we SHOULD Do(poll Q), but also, what you think we WILL Do.

Tough choices ahead for this franchise. Hoping in 2022, Jody can make some good ones. GO BLAZERS!
GEE
Starter

Re: TRADE DEADLINE FEB 10TH. 

Post#2 » by GEE » Sun Jan 2, 2022 7:10 pm

I don't have much faith in our front office right now to pull off anything too elaborate, so if it were up to me, I would start with moving Dame. Sell high. If I can get Simmons/Drummond and 2 FRPs for Dame/Zeller, I'm taking it! Of course I'd try for more, but I'm happy enough with this. This trade is likely available today. It's fairly simple in form, but provides the major shakeup this roster so desperately needs. Maybe the hardest move to do (saying GB to Dame), but also the least complicated, and in my unpopular opinion, the one that moves the needle making us competitive again almost overnight.

I really think we would still have great shooters in CJ, Powell, ANT & MAC and would greatly balance and strengthen the roster in the areas that are currently weak. ROCO, Little, Nance & Simmons at the forwards, and THE BEAST(29mpg) and Drummond(19mpg) at the C should be far better than what we currently have. I feel we should try this out for the rest of season and see if it clicks. I think it could be fairly dominating on both ends of the floor for a change. If it fails... revisit and continue making changes.

CJ / ANT / (DSJ)
Powell / MAC
ROCO / Little
Simmons / Nance / (Brown)
Nurkic / Drummond
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#3 » by Blazinaway » Sun Jan 2, 2022 8:44 pm

6. Blow it the F up! Including trading Dame
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,164

Post#4 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Jan 2, 2022 9:36 pm

Short of a "too good to say no" trades (like Gerald Wallace for a lottery pick previously or something like CJ for Simmons) the team is almost certainly going to stay the course until we get a new GM.

While larger questions do surround this team I suspect they will be mostly addressed in the off-season (at least IMO mid-season changes come off as rash and reactionary), one of the major decisions that DOES need to be made at this trade deadline is what to do with Roco and Nurkic. Both are expiring, need significant new contracts that would put us even further into the luxury tax.

If we had a serious shot at a playoff run it might be worth keeping them, doing as well as possible and then letting them walk, but since its looking like we wont have much chance in the playoffs this year, we cannot leave assets on the table. If we are not prepared to overpay to keep them (which we should not) then we need to make some value out of them. At the very least I imagine we move Roco for a cheaper player to duck the luxury tax.

Of course, when we start looking at making win-later value off win-now players and our franchise guy is over 30 and showing signs of age we do need to address the larger issues. How great is the chance at a repivot this summer? Even if we pick up a lottery pick and trade it for help for Dame, our window is closing very fast. We maybe have one more shot next summer and if that fails then its time to seriously re-evaluate if our relationship with Lillard has reached a mutually agreed end.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#5 » by Norm2953 » Mon Jan 3, 2022 3:00 am

I'm skeptical they will do more than getting under the tax line. That's doable with their two expiring
contracts. Portland will just sit Dame but will play CJ when he is cleared to play with the hope of
getting something worthwhile.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,355

Post#6 » by JRoy » Mon Jan 3, 2022 5:37 am

Blazinaway wrote:6. Blow it the F up! Including trading Dame

Blow it up and start over.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

It’s not happening with this squad and the sooner this is broken up into rebuilding pieces the better.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#7 » by Case2012 » Mon Jan 3, 2022 6:14 am

Shut down Dame so he can get surgery… Trade everyone except Little and Nance for expiring deals and as many picks as possible, fire Billups, get an experienced GM, get a top 5 pick to trade or keep and build around Dame. This shouldn’t be too hard to accomplish… You have to try for at least ONE SEASON to give Dame a cast he can compete with.
Instagram: @casetwelve
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#8 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Jan 3, 2022 9:51 pm

Case2012 wrote:Shut down Dame so he can get surgery… Trade everyone except Little and Nance for expiring deals and as many picks as possible, fire Billups, get an experienced GM, get a top 5 pick to trade or keep and build around Dame. This shouldn’t be too hard to accomplish… You have to try for at least ONE SEASON to give Dame a cast he can compete with.

It takes time to build a competent championship worthy team. That doesn't come together in just one season, especially right after tearing things down and being a lottery team. Rookies take a couple years to contribute at a high level if they ever do, role players need time to fit in, coaches aren't plug-n-play and need to develop schemes and see what works and what doesn't work with their roster. We tear things down with expiring deals and we are limited to what free agents we can get with capspace which has historically been very little.

I just don't see it. If we had a good 3-4 years to give a new team time to gel then it would make sense but that window closed in like 2020. The half tear-down you propose is just step one of an actual rebuild, the benefit is in giving us time to shop our pieces for maximum value, not any real chance at shooting the moon with a completely overhauled roster. The NBA is just too unpredictable, with role players not fitting, rookies not developing and the ever present threat of injuries that banking on a one year window is insanity, the hubris to think every single damn thing is going to go right, but reality is disappointing and it takes time to stack enough good moves together to have something legit.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to shutting down Dame and getting a good pick this year, especially if we can flip that pick for win-now talent, just that tearing down ALL our supporting pieces for expiring's and late draft picks and thinking we can replace them ALL in one offseason is unlikely. I would say our best bet is in moving CJ for a lateral piece, Roco for some salary relief and maybe a younger player while keeping most of Powell, Nance, Nurkic, Simons and Little or equivalent players is the play, even that is unlikely but its not stacking all your chips on one summers worth of moves.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,461

Post#9 » by Pattycakes » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:02 am

:oops: It’s pretty simple. We can go from piss-poor to one of the most promising up-and-coming situations practically overnight. Will the franchise have the cajones to disappoint a majorly fair weather fan base long enough to do what’s right? We’ll see. I know how few people were there when we were rolling out Telfair and Webster, and more or less were looking at needing to be back there but with better front office/draft moves.

The pandemic really happened at the height of our “window” as unfortunate as it is, and the fact we’ve even gotten the results we have during that time is a huge testament to the guys on the court and Stotts maximizing our chances.

Myself, I see us rolling out the same crap plans a few more seasons and maybe get another conference finals in there best case - like 10% chance and a lot of work. Not too appealing. By then we probably lose Nas and Ant to better situations and be a full on bottom feeder.
GEE
Starter

Post#10 » by GEE » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:52 am

I love that some of you are big thinkers and can see the bigger picture. I try. I just wanted to explore what the options are that Jody will likely be given. I like a two-phase approach to tearing things down: Dame, then other pieces in the summer as needed. But I also agree that this franchise won't likely have the stones to do such a thing, and more importantly... simply won't as long as their Cash-Cow is still producing... Cash (and Ls). They may just milk it dry for the next several years (Extension?) which I think is a mistake.

I like most of our current Blazers and think we have solid talent, young and old. but think people need to realize the true trade values of guys like ROCO(EXP), CJ and even Dame. And should keep in mind our current front office situation.

Sadly, I too think we'll just see the can get kicked into next summer, which will only continue to deflate all of our players' values. MORE TREADMILL, but I think we clearly miss the playoffs this year. But we'll get lotto fever, which as pointed out, doesn't help at all for at least two years (Bigs take longer).

Oh well, at least Dame's numbers are climbing back to an All-Star selection level. Gotta have that. :nonono:
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#11 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Jan 4, 2022 3:16 am

GEE wrote:I love that some of you are big thinkers and can see the bigger picture. I try. I just wanted to explore what the options are that Jody will likely be given. I like a two-phase approach to tearing things down: Dame, then other pieces in the summer as needed. But I also agree that this franchise won't likely have the stones to do such a thing, and more importantly... simply won't as long as their Cash-Cow is still producing... Cash (and Ls). They may just milk it dry for the next several years (Extension?) which I think is a mistake.

Amen. Cant say that I have ever wished our franchise would get sold but I do wish someone with an interest in basketball was signing the checks, conducting year-end reviews and holding peoples feet to the fire.

Oh I'm sure Jodi is a good sport about it but I doubt she has the passion of someone who has bought into an NBA franchise and yeah, as long as we aren't a complete laughing stock and making money I just don't know that there will be an internal fire to tear up the treadmill and endure lean times again.
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Case2012 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 3:17 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Case2012 wrote:Shut down Dame so he can get surgery… Trade everyone except Little and Nance for expiring deals and as many picks as possible, fire Billups, get an experienced GM, get a top 5 pick to trade or keep and build around Dame. This shouldn’t be too hard to accomplish… You have to try for at least ONE SEASON to give Dame a cast he can compete with.

It takes time to build a competent championship worthy team. That doesn't come together in just one season, especially right after tearing things down and being a lottery team. Rookies take a couple years to contribute at a high level if they ever do, role players need time to fit in, coaches aren't plug-n-play and need to develop schemes and see what works and what doesn't work with their roster. We tear things down with expiring deals and we are limited to what free agents we can get with capspace which has historically been very little.

I just don't see it. If we had a good 3-4 years to give a new team time to gel then it would make sense but that window closed in like 2020. The half tear-down you propose is just step one of an actual rebuild, the benefit is in giving us time to shop our pieces for maximum value, not any real chance at shooting the moon with a completely overhauled roster. The NBA is just too unpredictable, with role players not fitting, rookies not developing and the ever present threat of injuries that banking on a one year window is insanity, the hubris to think every single damn thing is going to go right, but reality is disappointing and it takes time to stack enough good moves together to have something legit.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to shutting down Dame and getting a good pick this year, especially if we can flip that pick for win-now talent, just that tearing down ALL our supporting pieces for expiring's and late draft picks and thinking we can replace them ALL in one offseason is unlikely. I would say our best bet is in moving CJ for a lateral piece, Roco for some salary relief and maybe a younger player while keeping most of Powell, Nance, Nurkic, Simons and Little or equivalent players is the play, even that is unlikely but its not stacking all your chips on one summers worth of moves.

It’s absolutely insane to not try and build an Olsheyless roster around dame for the next 2 or 3 years… You have to at least tryyyyyy. That’s all I’m saying. Don’t let Olshey win man, this is what he wants lol
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#13 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Jan 4, 2022 4:22 am

Case2012 wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

It’s absolutely insane to not try and build an Olsheyless roster around dame for the next 2 or 3 years… You have to at least tryyyyyy. That’s all I’m saying. Don’t let Olshey win man, this is what he wants lol

:lol: :lol: fair enough, just saying I don't think there is enough time for expirings or draft picks help us, our answer will be in trades at this point.
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Case2012 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 4:25 am

We’re in the infamous “asset acquisition “phase right now… I would actually rather not use any of the picks but trade them for proven win now players unless it’s obvious they can start day 1 like Dame did. What could we realistically get with a top 5 pick?
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#15 » by PDXKnight » Tue Jan 4, 2022 5:09 pm

Where is the option to trade everyone? I did option 2 because i think dame should be dealt, but i also think this entire mess of a roster other than anfernee and little needs to be destroyed
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#16 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jan 4, 2022 5:28 pm

Oden2 wrote:Where is the option to trade everyone? I did option 2 because i think dame should be dealt, but i also think this entire mess of a roster other than anfernee and little needs to be destroyed

But is it smart to move Dame when his value is arguably the lowest its been ever?

I am leaning towards a full retool around Dame in the way GSW did so after losing KD and letting Steph sit out basically a season.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#17 » by Goldbum » Tue Jan 4, 2022 8:58 pm

Would RoCo for Bagley get us under the tax? Feels like the type of deal Cronin could get behind. I'd give up a second if we go under the tax...
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#18 » by Goldbum » Tue Jan 4, 2022 9:19 pm

A crazy blow it up idea:

Portland Trail Blazers Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: -20.2 ppg, -4.0 rpg, and -7.2 apg.

Incoming Players
Ben Simmons
25 year old, 6-10, 240 lb PF from LSU
No games yet played in 2021-2022
Tyrese Maxey
21 year old, 6-2, 195 lb PG from Kentucky
16.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.5 minutes in 2021-2022
Kevin Love
33 year old, 6-8, 247 lb FC from UCLA
14.6 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 2.1 apg in 21.4 minutes in 2021-2022
Isaac Okoro
20 year old, 6-5, 225 lb SG from Auburn
9.0 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.9 apg in 28.4 minutes in 2021-2022
Marvin Bagley III
22 year old, 6-11, 240 lb PF from Duke
8.3 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 0.7 apg in 20.3 minutes in 2021-2022

Outgoing Players
Damian Lillard
31 year old, 6-2, 195 lb G from Weber State
24.0 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 7.3 apg in 36.4 minutes in 2021-2022
C.J. McCollum
30 year old, 6-3, 190 lb G from Lehigh
20.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 4.5 apg in 35.3 minutes in 2021-2022
Robert Covington
31 year old, 6-7, 209 lb F from Tennessee State
6.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.2 apg in 27.6 minutes in 2021-2022
Jusuf Nurkic
27 year old, 7-0, 290 lb FC from Cedevita (Croatia)
13.5 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 2.5 apg in 25.6 minutes in 2021-2022
Tony Snell
30 year old, 6-6, 213 lb G from New Mexico
2.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.6 apg in 12.6 minutes in 2021-2022
Keljin Blevins
26 year old, 6-4, 200 lb G from Montana State
2.0 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.3 apg in 4.7 minutes in 2021-2022

Philadelphia Sixers Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +11.5 ppg, +2.5 rpg, and +3.8 apg.
Incoming Players
Damian Lillard
31 year old, 6-2, 195 lb G from Weber State
24.0 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 7.3 apg in 36.4 minutes in 2021-2022
Tony Snell
30 year old, 6-6, 213 lb G from New Mexico
2.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.6 apg in 12.6 minutes in 2021-2022
Keljin Blevins
26 year old, 6-4, 200 lb G from Montana State
2.0 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.3 apg in 4.7 minutes in 2021-2022

Outgoing Players
Ben Simmons
25 year old, 6-10, 240 lb PF from LSU
No games yet played in 2021-2022
Tyrese Maxey
21 year old, 6-2, 195 lb PG from Kentucky
16.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.5 minutes in 2021-2022

Cleveland Cavaliers Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +3.6 ppg, -2.1 rpg, and +1.7 apg.

Incoming Players
C.J. McCollum
30 year old, 6-3, 190 lb G from Lehigh
20.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 4.5 apg in 35.3 minutes in 2021-2022
Robert Covington
31 year old, 6-7, 209 lb F from Tennessee State
6.6 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.2 apg in 27.6 minutes in 2021-2022

Outgoing Players
Kevin Love
33 year old, 6-8, 247 lb FC from UCLA
14.6 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 2.1 apg in 21.4 minutes in 2021-2022
Isaac Okoro
20 year old, 6-5, 225 lb SG from Auburn
9.0 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.9 apg in 28.4 minutes in 2021-2022

Sacramento Kings Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +5.2 ppg, +3.5 rpg, and +1.7 apg.

Incoming Players
Jusuf Nurkic
27 year old, 7-0, 290 lb FC from Cedevita (Croatia)
13.5 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 2.5 apg in 25.6 minutes in 2021-2022

Outgoing Players
Marvin Bagley III
22 year old, 6-11, 240 lb PF from Duke
8.3 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 0.7 apg in 20.3 minutes in 2021-2022

Picks would be involved.

PG Maxey/Ant/DSJ
SG Powell/Ant/Mclemore
SF Okoro/Little
PF Simmons/Nance/Brown
C Bagley/Love/Zeller
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#19 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jan 5, 2022 4:05 am

Rebuilding around Bagley and Simmons would make me want to hurl
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#20 » by PDXKnight » Wed Jan 5, 2022 9:59 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Oden2 wrote:Where is the option to trade everyone? I did option 2 because i think dame should be dealt, but i also think this entire mess of a roster other than anfernee and little needs to be destroyed

But is it smart to move Dame when his value is arguably the lowest its been ever?

I am leaning towards a full retool around Dame in the way GSW did so after losing KD and letting Steph sit out basically a season.

I think superstars especially ones that aren’t disgruntled hold massive value and teams are more often willing to overlook an injury to some extent. I’m not sure if his value is hurt but even if it is it’s probably only incremental

Return to Portland Trail Blazers