ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Nets vs. Grizzlies 1/3/2022 7:30pm EST (YES, NBA TV)

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Re: GT: Nets vs. Grizzlies 1/3/2022 7:30pm EST (YES, NBA TV) 

Post#121 » by GTR11 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 10:56 am

Karate Diop wrote:What's most frustrating is that nothing comes easy... Even in wins it seems like this team will rarely blow anyone out, it's always a 2 minute scramble at the end regardless of what happened the rest of the game.

Teams figured way to play us which is, pack the paint and send double at KD at all times. It's a copy cat league. With all respect to KD and his game,, his not a natural playmaker. More often than not good things will happen if you send double team with none spacing out there. Grizz did nothing different than Clippers night before. I mean Joe can help a lot here, it's just problem lays beyond that.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#122 » by GTR11 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 12:37 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Unlike Rodi this kid has reliable 3 point shot that can keep him on the floor. I just don't know why not give this kid chance right now and see.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,862

Post#123 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 4, 2022 1:53 pm

Saying that the lack of rebounding had nothing to do with why we got killed is incorrect when the Grizz scored 40 second chance points.

But what is killing us offensively is the spacing. Having 3 to 4 non shooters on the floor is detrimental to the team. Harden and KD are facing walls of white jerseys because the opponents are daring people to shoot. If Patty and Durant are off, forget about it. I said earlier in the season that Marks needed to add another veteran shooter to this roster and I stand by that.

You absolutely have to play Kessler Edwards. He has shown that he can hit shots. We can't keep playing Brown, Bembry and Johnson on the floor at the same time.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#124 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:32 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Saying that the lack of rebounding had nothing to do with why we got killed is incorrect when the Grizz scored 40 second chance points.

But what is killing us offensively is the spacing. Having 3 to 4 non shooters on the floor is detrimental to the team. Harden and KD are facing walls of white jerseys because the opponents are daring people to shoot. If Patty and Durant are off, forget about it. I said earlier in the season that Marks needed to add another veteran shooter to this roster and I stand by that.

You absolutely have to play Kessler Edwards. He has shown that he can hit shots. We can't keep playing Brown, Bembry and Johnson on the floor at the same time.

I honestly disagree on both counts. The second chance points didnt help but we scored just 104 extremely inefficient points. Even with their second chance points we had a billion opportunities to close their lead and take one of our own. We are always going to give up a ton of rebounds because of how are team is built, this was way more then ideal, but its something we often overcome....

Also, i think the biggest reason they outrebounded us is because our offense couldnt play their bigs off the floor. I GUARANTEE you if we dropped 35 in the 1st we wouldnt have seen adams again until the second half and maybe not at all. and they were -6 without adams on the floor.

We really did nothing to attack adams. We didnt put him in pick and rolls, we didnt hunt him on switches we didnt go KD at the 5 to make him gaurd on the perimeter. we tried nothing.

I also dont buy the spacing argument. its one thing to lack elite spacing... i dont think we have that with joe/kyrie out and carter not a factor this season. but we dont have some god awful spacing either. I mean we had Harden out there for 40 minutes with an elite sniper in patty on one side and a GOAT level shooter in KD on the other. Claxton may not shooting but he is a rim runner and a threat in the dunker spot. That trio played almost the entirety of non-garbage time.

if you want to tell me our spacing goes to hell if patty or KD sit thats fine, but that was like 6 minutes of non-garbage time and we got destroyed when they were in the lineup too its not like we stunk once patty sat we stunk with him out there.

For camparison the Grizz start 2 non-shooters in Adamas/Tille and their first 2 guys off the bench are also no shooters in Culver and Clarke (Bembry/Johnson/Brown are better this year and career from three then Tille/Culver/Clarke). The grizz shot worse then us from three.

They didnt seem to have any spacing issues. Because they have a coach who isnt a moron and uses banes gravity and ja's penetration to create good looks and make defenses work.

Were super predictable and do nothing to make defenses move. even if KD drops like 45 the defense isnt like working or distraught. its just KD hitting jumper after jumper and they just run back full steam the other way as our guys fall asleep from standing still.

Here is an excersize. of all the teams who played last night, here is the amount of players per team who shoot under 32% from three/non threats from three:

Nets - 2

Rockets -2
Sixers - 1
Hornets - 2
Wiz - 3
Grizz - 2
Magic - 3
Bulls - 2
Pistons -3
Bucks - 1
Jazz - 2
Pelicans - 3
Nuggets - 2
Heat - 2
Warriors - 2

Somehow the rest of the league finds ways to score without 4-5 shooters on the floor. again you can point out when we go to our bench we lack shooting, but we dont go to our bench and our starters have sucked offensively as a unit.

A team with KD/Harden and 13 fat 40 year olds from my YMCA should have a top 10 offense. the fact that we dont is criminal.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#125 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:35 pm

Jay555 wrote:Not sure how true this is.

[tweet]
Read on Twitter
[/tweet]

Irrelevant. Neither Kyrie or the Nets are rulebreakers or sneaky like that. Both are stand up and open. Kyrie goes against the grain, but he doesnt do it in some scummy fashion.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#126 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:44 pm

I just hope Nash doesn't overreact and remove Bembry/Claxton from the lineup for shooters. I'm on board with more Kessler Edwards for sure... not just his shooting but his athleticism is something we dont have alot of... he has bounce.

But Bembry is a dog and a huge part of why we are top 5 defensively. Same with Claxton whose rim rolling is critical for opening open threes. The adjustment should be 6 through 9 not the starters (other then inserting kyrie of course)

I also subscribe to start out with defense. if you start out with defense and your offense sticks you may fall behind but it wont be huge. you can add shooting and figure it out. you start with no defense and you could be down 15+ early. and then its hard to comeback with a defensive heavy lineup.

Either way, figure it out offensively. More plays that take advantage of KD/Mills gravity. WE NEED MORE LAYUPS. if you have KD and Harden you should be getting a ton more layups. Harden lives in the paint, find a way to get guys open when he breaks the defense down. KD has gravity and is doubled, find ways to get layups off that.

We are getting beaten up by mediocure teams on the road on back to backs missing tons of key players. while we are relatively healthy compared to them.

Gross.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#127 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Jan 4, 2022 3:12 pm

I just don't understand why we have been so much worse the last 3 games than we were all season.

Something is off. Why do we all of a sudden suck defensively? It makes no sense.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#128 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 4, 2022 3:16 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Saying that the lack of rebounding had nothing to do with why we got killed is incorrect when the Grizz scored 40 second chance points.

I honestly disagree on both counts. The second chance points didnt help but we scored just 104 extremely inefficient points. Even with their second chance points we had a billion opportunities to close their lead and take one of our own. We are always going to give up a ton of rebounds because of how are team is built, this was way more then ideal, but its something we often overcome....

Also, i think the biggest reason they outrebounded us is because our offense couldnt play their bigs off the floor. I GUARANTEE you if we dropped 35 in the 1st we wouldnt have seen adams again until the second half and maybe not at all. and they were -6 without adams on the floor.

We really did nothing to attack adams. We didnt put him in pick and rolls, we didnt hunt him on switches we didnt go KD at the 5 to make him gaurd on the perimeter. we tried nothing.

I also dont buy the spacing argument. its one thing to lack elite spacing... i dont think we have that with joe/kyrie out and carter not a factor this season. but we dont have some god awful spacing either. I mean we had Harden out there for 40 minutes with an elite sniper in patty on one side and a GOAT level shooter in KD on the other. Claxton may not shooting but he is a rim runner and a threat in the dunker spot. That trio played almost the entirety of non-garbage time.

if you want to tell me our spacing goes to hell if patty or KD sit thats fine, but that was like 6 minutes of non-garbage time and we got destroyed when they were in the lineup too its not like we stunk once patty sat we stunk with him out there.

For camparison the Grizz start 2 non-shooters in Adamas/Tille and their first 2 guys off the bench are also no shooters in Culver and Clarke (Bembry/Johnson/Brown are better this year and career from three then Tille/Culver/Clarke). The grizz shot worse then us from three.

They didnt seem to have any spacing issues. Because they have a coach who isnt a moron and uses banes gravity and ja's penetration to create good looks and make defenses work.

Were super predictable and do nothing to make defenses move. even if KD drops like 45 the defense isnt like working or distraught. its just KD hitting jumper after jumper and they just run back full steam the other way as our guys fall asleep from standing still.

Here is an excersize. of all the teams who played last night, here is the amount of players per team who shoot under 32% from three/non threats from three:

Nets - 2

Rockets -2
Sixers - 1
Hornets - 2
Wiz - 3
Grizz - 2
Magic - 3
Bulls - 2
Pistons -3
Bucks - 1
Jazz - 2
Pelicans - 3
Nuggets - 2
Heat - 2
Warriors - 2

Somehow the rest of the league finds ways to score without 4-5 shooters on the floor. again you can point out when we go to our bench we lack shooting, but we dont go to our bench and our starters have sucked offensively as a unit.

A team with KD/Harden and 13 fat 40 year olds from my YMCA should have a top 10 offense. the fact that we dont is criminal.

I don't think we have to have 4 shooters on the floor at all times but its bad when we have KD or Harden out there alone with three guys that can't shoot. Obviously, Kyrie and Joe can fix that, but til then I would at LEAST give Edwards a shot at helping to provide space.

I agree with you about not attacking the match ups. Nash is an idiot dude, I don't know what else to say at this point. He is unqualified to do this job.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#129 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 4, 2022 3:18 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I just don't understand why we have been so much worse the last 3 games than we were all season.

Something is off. Why do we all of a sudden suck defensively? It makes no sense.

Something is going on internally. Harden has been throwing Nash under the bus in the post game pressers and rightfully so.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#130 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 4, 2022 3:25 pm

Prokorov wrote:I just hope Nash doesn't overreact and remove Bembry/Claxton from the lineup for shooters. I'm on board with more Kessler Edwards for sure... not just his shooting but his athleticism is something we dont have alot of... he has bounce.

But Bembry is a dog and a huge part of why we are top 5 defensively. Same with Claxton whose rim rolling is critical for opening open threes. The adjustment should be 6 through 9 not the starters (other then inserting kyrie of course)

I also subscribe to start out with defense. if you start out with defense and your offense sticks you may fall behind but it wont be huge. you can add shooting and figure it out. you start with no defense and you could be down 15+ early. and then its hard to comeback with a defensive heavy lineup.

Either way, figure it out offensively. More plays that take advantage of KD/Mills gravity. WE NEED MORE LAYUPS. if you have KD and Harden you should be getting a ton more layups. Harden lives in the paint, find a way to get guys open when he breaks the defense down. KD has gravity and is doubled, find ways to get layups off that.

We are getting beaten up by mediocure teams on the road on back to backs missing tons of key players. while we are relatively healthy compared to them.

Gross.

Claxton and Bembry absolutely need to play. That is a non starter discussion. The issue I have is the fact that Bembry and Brown are redundant. They should never be on the floor at the same time. I love Bruce, but when Nash limited us to an 8 man rotation that including zero shooting in the three subs (Blake, JJ, Brown), that is absolutely hurting us. There is no reason for an 8 man rotation in JANUARY especially when we are missing Kyrie, LMA and Joe.

Give me Harden/Mills/Bembry/Durant/Claxton w/ LMA, Blake, Edwards, and either Cam or DDJr mixed in until we get Kyrie/Joe back. I think DDJr should be given a shot to spell Harden at PG during home games when Kyrie is out because he actually moves the ball better than the other reserve guards.

All three of these games were winnable. It's inexcusable. It's like Nash sees us doing something good and decides to make a change for no reason which sets us back

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#131 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 4, 2022 3:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I don't think we have to have 4 shooters on the floor at all times but its bad when we have KD or Harden out there alone with three guys that can't shoot. Obviously, Kyrie and Joe can fix that, but til then I would at LEAST give Edwards a shot at helping to provide space.

I agree with you about not attacking the match ups. Nash is an idiot dude, I don't know what else to say at this point. He is unqualified to do this job.

I agree KD/Harden with 3 non-shooters is not ideal. BUT, that hasnt really happened alot since Nash is running an 8 man rotation. for example, last nights game was basically over 2 minutes into the 4th quarter when he pulled everyone and emptied the bench.

So thats 38 minutes.

KD/Harden/Mills played 29 minutes together. in those 29 minutes they were a -15 and our offense was putrid. In fact the only time our offense looked a bit competent was late in the first with johnson in for mills where bembry/KD had a great defensive stretch and we scored a bunch in transition.

So its hard for me to point fingers at "spacing" when our offense is blah even when Harden/KD/PAtty on the floor and in the first quarter when you cant blame fatigue yet.

Nash is basically asking elite mid range shooters to be basically perfect to outpace offenses that shoot threes and generate a ton of layups. and you just can run an offense like that even with KD/LMA. Harden/KD should be getting close to 11 threes a game by themselves, let alone just 11 a game as a team.

Our first option on offense cant be working super hard to get a mid range shot regardless of if its KD shooting it or not
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#132 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 4, 2022 3:27 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:I just hope Nash doesn't overreact and remove Bembry/Claxton from the lineup for shooters. I'm on board with more Kessler Edwards for sure... not just his shooting but his athleticism is something we dont have alot of... he has bounce.

Gross.

Claxton and Bembry absolutely need to play. That is a non starter discussion. The issue I have is the fact that Bembry and Brown are redundant. They should never be on the floor at the same time. I love Bruce, but when Nash limited us to an 8 man rotation that including zero shooting in the three subs (Blake, JJ, Brown), that is absolutely hurting us. There is no reason for an 8 man rotation in JANUARY especially when we are missing Kyrie, LMA and Joe.

Give me Harden/Mills/Bembry/Durant/Claxton w/ LMA, Blake, Edwards, and either Cam or DDJr mixed in until we get Kyrie/Joe back. I think DDJr should be given a shot to spell Harden at PG during home games when Kyrie is out because he actually moves the ball better than the other reserve guards.

All three of these games were winnable. It's inexcusable. It's like Nash sees us doing something good and decides to make a change for no reason which sets us back

Not just winnable, but games we should win. mediocure teams on back to backs in our building.

i agree bembry/brown shouldnt play together. that doesnt make sense.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 645

Post#133 » by NetsJets » Tue Jan 4, 2022 3:49 pm

I said this months ago the way we were playing was unsustainable
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#134 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Jan 4, 2022 6:28 pm

Prokorov wrote:

[tweet]
Read on Twitter
[/tweet]

Irrelevant. Neither Kyrie or the Nets are rulebreakers or sneaky like that. Both are stand up and open. Kyrie goes against the grain, but he doesnt do it in some scummy fashion.

There's no way that Tsai or the NBA wants to very publicly violate city regulations. Especially not in early January with cases peaking. I do think it's reasonable that they can lobby for a change if cases drop a bit so that the PR isn't as bad. The other option is for Kyrie to challenge/exploit potential loopholes. I'm not a baseball fan, and I have no clue what the vaccination statuses of the Met & Yankee players would be, but it's possible that the mandate revision lobby gets stronger come spring.

2 items from the mandate that could be challenged:
Loophole:
Worker does not include:
i. an individual who works from their own home and whose employment does
not involve interacting in-person with co-workers or members of the public;
ii. an individual who enters the workplace for a quick and limited purpose; or
iii. non-City residents who are performing artists, college or professional
athletes
, or individuals accompanying such performing artists or college or
professional athletes who do not have to display proof of vaccination
pursuant to the Key to NYC program, Emergency Executive Order No. 316
and successor Orders.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/covid/covid-19-vaccination-workplace-requirement.pdf

The way this reads, Kyrie should be able to declare himself as an NJ resident & thus be excluded.

The other item given the Omicron contagiousness that could seemingly be challenged by somebody (Doubt it would be the Nets or Kyrie) now:
WHEREAS, pursuant to Section 556 of the Charter and Section 3.01(c) of the Health
Code, the Department is authorized to supervise the control of communicable diseases and
conditions hazardous to life and health and take such actions as may be necessary to assure the
maintenance and protection of public health; and

WHEREAS, Section 17-104 of the New York City Administrative Code (“Administrative
Code”) directs the Department to adopt prompt and effective measures to prevent the
communication of infectious diseases such as COVID-19, and in accordance with Section 17-
109(b) of Administrative Code, the Department may adopt vaccination measures to effectively
prevent the spread of communicable diseases;

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/covid/covid-19-vaccination-workplace-requirement.pdf

^The executive Order cites the "control of communicable diseases" and "preventing the spread of communicable diseases." While I won't argue against the fact that the current vaccines help prevent severe disease, somebody could legally fight the mandate stating that it's not effective in control or prevention which are two of the reasons cited enabling the mayor to implement the mandate.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#135 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 4, 2022 7:22 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

[tweet]
Read on Twitter
[/tweet]

There's no way that Tsai or the NBA wants to very publicly violate city regulations. Especially not in early January with cases peaking. I do think it's reasonable that they can lobby for a change if cases drop a bit so that the PR isn't as bad. The other option is for Kyrie to challenge/exploit potential loopholes. I'm not a baseball fan, and I have no clue what the vaccination statuses of the Met & Yankee players would be, but it's possible that the mandate revision lobby gets stronger come spring.

2 items from the mandate that could be challenged:
Loophole:
Worker does not include:
i. an individual who works from their own home and whose employment does
not involve interacting in-person with co-workers or members of the public;
ii. an individual who enters the workplace for a quick and limited purpose; or
iii. non-City residents who are performing artists, college or professional
athletes
, or individuals accompanying such performing artists or college or
professional athletes who do not have to display proof of vaccination
pursuant to the Key to NYC program, Emergency Executive Order No. 316
and successor Orders.

The way this reads, Kyrie should be able to declare himself as an NJ resident & thus be excluded.

The other item given the Omicron contagiousness that could seemingly be challenged by somebody (Doubt it would be the Nets or Kyrie) now:
WHEREAS, pursuant to Section 556 of the Charter and Section 3.01(c) of the Health
Code, the Department is authorized to supervise the control of communicable diseases and
conditions hazardous to life and health and take such actions as may be necessary to assure the
maintenance and protection of public health; and

WHEREAS, Section 17-104 of the New York City Administrative Code (“Administrative
Code”) directs the Department to adopt prompt and effective measures to prevent the
communication of infectious diseases such as COVID-19, and in accordance with Section 17-
109(b) of Administrative Code, the Department may adopt vaccination measures to effectively
prevent the spread of communicable diseases;

^The executive Order cites the "control of communicable diseases" and "preventing the spread of communicable diseases." While I won't argue against the fact that the current vaccines help prevent severe disease, somebody could legally fight the mandate stating that it's not effective in control or prevention which are two of the reasons cited enabling the mayor to implement the mandate.

Kyrie and the Nets should be attempting to challenge the 1st point you bring up, because Kyrie is a New Jersey resident and therefore should be exempt since he is a professional athlete. I think they need to appeal at this point.

The 2nd one is getting into semantics which probably would not be wise for them to even challenge because "control of communicable diseases" also includes ensuring that hospital systems don't become overwhelmed, which is what vaccines are helping right now.

I think the rule is absolutely stupid regarding visiting athletes being able to be unvaccinated while everyone else has to be. Either mandate a vaccine for anyone who enters Barclays or drop it.

Evalar
Freshman
And1: 52

Post#136 » by Evalar » Tue Jan 4, 2022 7:47 pm

What worries me about Nash is his in game decision making he either can't or won't adjust to the way things are playing out in front of him. The game with KD and the rookies is the only game in my memory where we have looked fresh and quick and that situation was forced on Nash something has to change or we could be wasting another year of KD, Harden etc.
Jay555
Sixth Man
And1: 857

Post#137 » by Jay555 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 7:59 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:I just don't understand why we have been so much worse the last 3 games than we were all season.

Something is going on internally. Harden has been throwing Nash under the bus in the post game pressers and rightfully so.

Harden is the sort of guy who would keep these kind of things to himself unless it’s got to a point he can’t tolerate. For him to say this publicly, this “internal” issue would have to be really bad. I hope it’s just coaching. I have a feeling it’s to do with some players but I am just speculating.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#138 » by MGrand15 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 9:45 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Nets - 2

Rockets -2
Sixers - 1
Hornets - 2
Wiz - 3
Grizz - 2
Magic - 3
Bulls - 2
Pistons -3
Bucks - 1
Jazz - 2
Pelicans - 3
Nuggets - 2
Heat - 2
Warriors - 2

???

Where are these numbers coming from?

Last night alone we ran an 8 man rotation that included

Brown - 31% from 3 on 1 attempt per game
Johnson - 25% from 3 on 1 attempt per game
Blake - 22% from 3 on 3 attempts per game
Claxton - 0% no attempts

Bembry is shooting 46% from 3 but only takes .8 per game and no one guards him.

That's everyone but KD + Mills + Harden.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#139 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 4, 2022 10:21 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Nets - 2

Rockets -2
Sixers - 1
Hornets - 2
Wiz - 3
Grizz - 2
Magic - 3
Bulls - 2
Pistons -3
Bucks - 1
Jazz - 2
Pelicans - 3
Nuggets - 2
Heat - 2
Warriors - 2

???

Where are these numbers coming from?

Last night alone we ran an 8 man rotation that included

Brown - 31% from 3 on 1 attempt per game
Johnson - 25% from 3 on 1 attempt per game
Blake - 22% from 3 on 3 attempts per game
Claxton - 0% no attempts

Bembry is shooting 46% from 3 but only takes .8 per game and no one guards him.

That's everyone but KD + Mills + Harden.

and LMA shoots 34% on 1 attempt per game (which isn't bad for him).

It's kind of hard to score when the ball doesn't move, and you have 3 to 4 non shooters standing around. Asking Harden to drive against 3 defenders and score or KD to take contested mid rangers over two guys and be able to do that over 40mpg is unsustainable. We've got to mix in the young guys til we get Joe and Kyrie back in consistently. At least Cam can get his own mid range shots one on one and Kessler appears to be a decent 3 point shooter.

Return to Brooklyn Nets