ImageImage

Do you support the Blazers tanking this season?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

GOBlazers
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Do you support the Blazers tanking this season? 

Post#1 » by GOBlazers » Wed Jan 5, 2022 3:01 pm

https://www.blazersedge.com/2022/1/4/22867864/damian-lillard-injury-latest-news-chauncey-billups-quote-abdomen-rest-portland-trail-blazers

Recent articles on Blazersedge and Ripcityproject have suggested that the Blazers may rest at least Lillard, and tank the rest of the season. The idea is to get a high draft pick, as well as, have healthy/rested veterans for next season.

I saw that we have the easiest strength of schedule for the rest of the season. If we don't start winning soon, or if a big trade to bring in an all-star isn't imminent, then I'd support resting Dame and CJ and giving up on the playoffs for this season.

Would you support a tank this season?
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,252

Re: Do you support the Blazers tanking this season? 

Post#2 » by JRoy » Wed Jan 5, 2022 3:06 pm

Yes.

We suck already without tanking, let’s do what we need to do and flush this season.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#3 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jan 5, 2022 3:12 pm

100%.

We are already basically tanking. Might as well save Dame for next year.

And please move CJ while we are at it. I wont follow through but right now I wish I had the willpower to not watch this team in 22/23 if CJ is still a member. He needs to go.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 534

Post#4 » by Goldbum » Wed Jan 5, 2022 3:31 pm

Prediction: We rest Dame, CJ's trade value soars, CJ in moved for package of bigger and younger players. I don't hate KP as a target for him.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
GOBlazers
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#5 » by GOBlazers » Wed Jan 5, 2022 3:56 pm

Goldbum wrote:Prediction: We rest Dame, CJ's trade value soars, CJ is moved for a package of bigger and younger players. I don't hate KP as a target for him.

I like your prediction. Nothing against CJ, but I'd be really happy if we could trade him for a big.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,314

Post#6 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jan 5, 2022 4:52 pm

right now, the best asset the Blazers have is the potential for a high draft pick. Why waste that chasing another first round exit?

rest Dame...have him get surgery if it's needed. trade CJ, RoCo, and possibly Nurkic. Maybe even Powell and Nance if the return is good enough. Then hope for success in the lottery. If Dame has issues with that kind of a major reset...which Portland so obviously needs...then he can ask for a trade and the Blazers can oblige.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#7 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jan 5, 2022 5:20 pm

Goldbum wrote:Prediction: We rest Dame, CJ's trade value soars, CJ in moved for package of bigger and younger players. I don't hate KP as a target for him.

I would love to turn CJ into KP and find some value for RoCo + Nurkic in other deals. Dont think DAL would be interested but something like:

CJ, Nurkic for KP, DFS (I presume DAL would rather move Bullock but this is fantasy)

RoCo for Saric, 3 Future SRP

Draft Jabari

G - Damian Lillard / Anfernee Simons
G - Norman Powell / Anfernee Simons
F - Dorian Finney-Smith / Nassir Little
F - Jabari Smith Jr / Dario Saric
C - Kristaps Porzingis / Larry Nance Jr
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,843

Post#8 » by JasonStern » Wed Jan 5, 2022 9:43 pm

It's impossible to say without knowing what options are available. If the Blazers can somehow be opportunistic buyers at the trade deadline, then make a run and try to keep the playoff streak alive. Odds are that tanking will just land another role player that won't peak during what is left of Dame's prime.

But realistically, the Blazers are 14-22 - 12th in the West, only ahead of teams that are actively trying to tank. It doesn't look like there will be a lot of sellers at the trade deadline. And the play-in concept just makes teams that should probably blow it up less likely to do so.

That said, none of this likely matters. Blazers need Dame to score like 40+ points every night just to have a chance to win. That's not sustainable. So the tank might be on even if it's unintentional.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,400

Post#9 » by Blazinaway » Thu Jan 6, 2022 2:58 pm

Yes, because "tanking" for the most part is being done "naturally" given Dame's injury and others, a piss poor constructed roster etc. So we should do nothing to stop the natural course of things {this year} and part of that is not playing Dame one minute unless he is 100% healthy and that likely eans the rest of the season. Also no short term "bandaid" trade should be done, we should only do trades that get us better in following years - but Roco/CJ should be the focus on moving, probably Nirk as well.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,381

Post#10 » by Myth » Thu Jan 6, 2022 8:31 pm

Definitely. Dame needs to get healthy, CJ needs to get healthy (whether it is to help the team directly or to trade him off), this season is lost. I'm looking forward to next season with either a rookie to be excited about or a star we traded that pick for that can help a healthy Dame.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,935

Post#11 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 6, 2022 9:34 pm

Absolutely. It's a good draft and Blazers get to keep their pick if it's in the lottery. It will arguably be the best trading chip at the draft to get Dame immediate help the team has ever had and even though they can't trade it pre-draft, they can agree to a trade before the draft, pick for the other team and complete the trade post-draft.

And as others have said, this isn't like a traditional "tank", it's just been a bad season all around from injuries to style of play changes, to COVID challenges, so this season can get **** as far as I'm concerned.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,221

Post#12 » by monopoman » Fri Jan 7, 2022 6:51 am

I think a top 5 pick is a hell of a lot more valuable than 8th seed that the Blazers would likely get if they make the playoffs. This team has dug such a huge hole that it would take a heroic effort even to nab that 8th seed.

Now with the play-in tournament it's easier to get the 8th or 7th seed since you can be 9th or 10th and make it, but still. The 1 and 2 seeds would likely steam roll us and we have seen enough of the Warriors vs. Blazers to last a lifetime.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#13 » by GEE » Sat Jan 8, 2022 2:41 am

Simply... No, I don't support Tanking, but as pointed out already, It's happening naturally. With a weak GM and front office, I expect few to no changes in roster and I also have little faith in drafting smart at this point. I think it's more TREADMILL for the time being, and that will result in missing the playoffs whether we try or not.

The deal I suggested is a hard pivot move that will totally shake our team up, with an offer that we all know is likely on the table right now. We could get out of the quicksand we are in, balance the roster, and IMO become playoff CONTENDERS overnight. Along with Drummond, we should also be able to get two addition FRPs to play with.

I'd prefer to just make the tough decision now and move us to a post Dame era, which will be sad for all until we see the change it would bring. Deal CJ in the summer if it fails to impress, which I highly doubt would be the case. I just know in my Black and Red heart this move is the one.
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#14 » by zzaj » Sat Jan 8, 2022 6:48 am

If it means Lillard can get healthy? Then yes...
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,043

Post#15 » by sisibilio » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:59 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Goldbum wrote:Prediction: We rest Dame, CJ's trade value soars, CJ in moved for package of bigger and younger players. I don't hate KP as a target for him.

I would love to turn CJ into KP and find some value for RoCo + Nurkic in other deals. Dont think DAL would be interested but something like:

CJ, Nurkic for KP, DFS (I presume DAL would rather move Bullock but this is fantasy)

Draft Jabari

C - Kristaps Porzingis / Larry Nance J
G - Norman Powell / Anfernee Simonsr

Saric at SF is a terrible idea, he's not Lauri. :lol:

I could see Dallas doing that with Bullock, maybe including Powell x Nance. And Snell to get Portland below the tax
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#16 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:43 pm

sisibilio wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

Draft Jabari

C - Kristaps Porzingis / Larry Nance J
G - Norman Powell / Anfernee Simonsr

Saric at SF is a terrible idea, he's not Lauri. :lol:

I could see Dallas doing that with Bullock, maybe including Powell x Nance. And Snell to get Portland below the tax

That F spot w/ Smith JR and Saric is meant to be PF w/ DFS/Little as SF. I would probably play Saric defending the C and playing more of a PF role w/ Nance the opposite in terms of bench minutes.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 534

Post#17 » by Goldbum » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:15 pm

I'm starting to really like Keegan Murray. I think he's a sleeper to be a top 2 or 3 player in this draft long term.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed

Return to Portland Trail Blazers