80%

Total votes: 5

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Deal Or No Deal, Utah Edition 

Post#1 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:00 am

Humor me for one more poll thread.

Here is a deal that I think helps both contenders come closer to their goals. Let me know your thoughts:

Harris/Carter/Johnson for Ingles/Hughes/Butler/3 2nds

The deal saves Brooklyn $8mil in current cap, which I know is not a sexy selling point. But if we lock up the Big 3 next summer, we're going to need financial flexibility. Losing our Joe hurts, but getting the Australian Joe could add a dimension of playmaking and post defense makes up for the dip in shooting. Butler is a very mature and skilled PG, while Hughes is a rangy wing, both cheap for their production.

Soooo? Better or worse than the Cleveland deal in your opinion, and why?
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Re: Deal Or No Deal, Utah Edition 

Post#2 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 2:00 am

Kristian Winfield seems to know of an imminent trade, could this be it? We were in on Ingles this offseason, when it looked like Utah was ready to move him.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#3 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 5, 2022 6:33 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:Kristian Winfield seems to know of an imminent trade, could this be it? We were in on Ingles this offseason, when it looked like Utah was ready to move him.

Hos news wasnt trade related, it was that he now has an all-star vote.

Ingles for Harris makes some sense... It would get us off 2 years/40 million of Harris, which helps the Tax and Ingles is expiring. Ingles is also bigger and a (much?) better defender. Not a big drop off... 41% career from three on decent volume. could see the fit for sure.

I'd think the Jazz probably need to chip in more since Ingles would be a rental and Harris is alot younger.

Ingles + Paschall + pick?
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#4 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 8:33 am

^
Well, Paschall is nice but he's Donovan's childhood friend, they'll never trade him. But yes, I would love a deal like that. Harris is great, but Ingles is a bit better for our needs IMO.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#5 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 5, 2022 2:37 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:^
Well, Paschall is nice but he's Donovan's childhood friend, they'll never trade him. But yes, I would love a deal like that. Harris is great, but Ingles is a bit better for our needs IMO.

I like ingles alot... but they would need to pony up something else of value too. Were still giving them Harris who is 4 years younger and 2 years left on his deal for an expiring 34 year old who while probably a better fit overall is the same class of player.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#6 » by GYK » Wed Jan 5, 2022 5:54 pm

I like Ingles but that’s a downgrade and a lateral move at best.
I don’t understand why we are desperately looking to cut cost. I understand we are expensive team but not as much as the Warriors who look better than us and on a hunt for their 4th ring. I 100% believe moving Spencer and DJ contract for nothing was ultimately the wrong move. We would’ve made up that cost if we became the dynasty we could be.
Anywho Joe is our fourth core contract moving him for next season vet minimum is ridiculous. The Big 3 would have an even larger carry job instead of buzzsawing the league depleting the support around them.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#7 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Jan 5, 2022 7:17 pm

This does not move the needle at all for the Nets. I don't see the point of this other than saving money, which would upset me a lot and start to sour on T'sai.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#8 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 2:27 am

^
You guys realize that GSW only has a $6mil higher payroll than us, we're 2nd in the league. Fiscal responsibility by *slightly* drawing down payroll is not a white flag, it's sound business. And the Warriors don't need to re-sign anyone significant this summer, while we could be looking at 8-figure extensions for Claxton and Brown. If so, we'll have the most expensive roster in the league by a country mile.

Keeping guys like Dinwiddie, Jordan and Shamet would not have saved this season. I actually would have hated the fit of Spencer next to Harden, and there's no point in having a $20mil backup to 2 of your 3 most expensive players. Also, keeping Dinwiddie probably would have meant we don't get Mills, who has outplayed him at 1/3 the cost.
-- Steve Martin
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#9 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:25 am

You guys realize that GSW only has a $6mil higher payroll than us, we're 2nd in the league. Fiscal responsibility by *slightly* drawing down payroll is not a white flag, it's sound business. And the Warriors don't need to re-sign anyone significant this summer, while we could be looking at 8-figure extensions for Claxton and Brown. If so, we'll have the most expensive roster in the league by a country mile.

Keeping guys like Dinwiddie, Jordan and Shamet would not have saved this season. I actually would have hated the fit of Spencer next to Harden, and there's no point in having a $20mil backup to 2 of your 3 most expensive players. Also, keeping Dinwiddie probably would have meant we don't get Mills, who has outplayed him at 1/3 the cost.

Brown is not sniffing 8 figures.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#10 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:37 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:

Talen Horton-Tucker got 3yrs, $31mil last offseason. I definitely think that Bruce's agent is going to say that that's the floor for Brown's market value. I would expect Sean to drive a hard bargain in the other direction, but Bruce is a better player in a similar mold and team situation. We're talking non-taxpayer MLE money, it's really not a stretch to see Brown earning it for somebody.
-- Steve Martin
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,826

Post#11 » by Karate Diop » Thu Jan 6, 2022 4:34 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:

Talen Horton-Tucker got 3yrs, $31mil last offseason. I definitely think that Bruce's agent is going to say that that's the floor for Brown's market value. I would expect Sean to drive a hard bargain in the other direction, but Bruce is a better player in a similar mold and team situation. We're talking non-taxpayer MLE money, it's really not a stretch to see Brown earning it for somebody.

THT was paid off potential as he was only 20nat the time... Brown will be 26 I believe by the time the off-season rolls around. Brown is better but I don't know of be has that kind of market given that he's not a true 3 or D player.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#12 » by Prokorov » Thu Jan 6, 2022 5:08 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:This does not move the needle at all for the Nets. I don't see the point of this other than saving money, which would upset me a lot and start to sour on T'sai.

you want harden/kyrie/KD locked up long term?

thats 700M over 4 years plus the tax on it.

the repeater tax is brutal. Tsai even extending those 3 is honestly absurd
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#13 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Jan 6, 2022 6:15 pm

Karate Diop wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:Brown is not sniffing 8 figures.

THT was paid off potential as he was only 20nat the time... Brown will be 26 I believe by the time the off-season rolls around. Brown is better but I don't know of be has that kind of market given that he's not a true 3 or D player.

Everyone, Marks included, thought Brown was going to get handsomely paid this past offseason. He was an afterthought as teams viewed him as a gimmick player. He hasn't done as much this season, and partially guaranteed, minimum salaried Bembry is basically putting up the same stat line.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,826

Post#14 » by Karate Diop » Thu Jan 6, 2022 7:21 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:Talen Horton-Tucker got 3yrs, $31mil last offseason. I definitely think that Bruce's agent is going to say that that's the floor for Brown's market value. I would expect Sean to drive a hard bargain in the other direction, but Bruce is a better player in a similar mold and team situation. We're talking non-taxpayer MLE money, it's really not a stretch to see Brown earning it for somebody.

Everyone, Marks included, thought Brown was going to get handsomely paid this past offseason. He was an afterthought as teams viewed him as a gimmick player. He hasn't done as much this season, and partially guaranteed, minimum salaried Bembry is basically putting up the same stat line.

Exactly. I think Brown is a decent bench player to have, but nobody is going to break the bank for him... If he has to sign the minimum it wouldn't be surprising.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#15 » by Prokorov » Thu Jan 6, 2022 7:30 pm

Karate Diop wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:

Exactly. I think Brown is a decent bench player to have, but nobody is going to break the bank for him... If he has to sign the minimum it wouldn't be surprising.

I'm not worried about Brown. Bembry is the better player 1 year older and likely wont require much money.

Brown is a Forward in a Guards body who doesnt shoot it well from three, love the dude but thats not the type that gets paid 10M annually.

Return to Brooklyn Nets