ImageImage

2022 NBA Draft - Prospects Discussion

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Re: 2022 NBA Draft 

Post#41 » by ReginaldDwight » Tue Jan 4, 2022 7:46 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:I know he wanted to play for his dad and they had the confidence they could do something special, but going to play for UWM was an absolute lose-lose scenario from the perspective of NBA prospecting. If you're great, you were supposed to be; if you suck...well, ****.

Yeah its looking pretty silly now, they had a nice crowd for the first home game and laid an egg. I think they could still rally and make the tourney by winning the horizon, they havent had their full lineup at all this year and PBJ has been out for awhile.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,361

Post#42 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 4, 2022 7:48 pm

Baldwin giving off some serious Cam Reddish vibes, but at least Reddish was doing it against ACC competition. It's a big red flag for me when a talented/athletic 6'10 dude settles for as many jumpers as he does. And it's not like he gets to the line a ton (4.4 attempts per-36) to make up for it.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach

Post#43 » by ReginaldDwight » Wed Jan 5, 2022 12:32 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Baldwin giving off some serious Cam Reddish vibes, but at least Reddish was doing it against ACC competition. It's a big red flag for me when a talented/athletic 6'10 dude settles for as many jumpers as he does. And it's not like he gets to the line a ton (4.4 attempts per-36) to make up for it.

Once he starts playing again I should have more details but the dude hasnt played in many games.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,497

Post#44 » by ShootingtheJ » Wed Jan 5, 2022 1:32 am

Ron Swanson wrote:Baldwin giving off some serious Cam Reddish vibes, but at least Reddish was doing it against ACC competition. It's a big red flag for me when a talented/athletic 6'10 dude settles for as many jumpers as he does. And it's not like he gets to the line a ton (4.4 attempts per-36) to make up for it.

Agree, but also I think Reddish is a better athlete. I've never seen explosiveness from PBJ in HS or college.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,744

Post#45 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 5, 2022 4:25 pm

Davis up to #7 on DX's list.

Davis had the single-most impressive performance of the season thus far -- a 37-point, 14-rebound explosion -- in a 74-69 road win over No. 3 Purdue.

The 19-year-old wasn't particularly well regarded coming out of high school, and showed few signs of turning into one of the best players in college basketball as a freshman, averaging 7 points per game coming off the bench. After helping USA basketball win a gold medal at the FIBA U19 World Cup this past summer, he has progressed into a likely All-American candidate.

Davis displays an ideal combination of defensive toughness, transition scoring and playmaking ability for himself and others. He is Wisconsin's de facto point guard and generally makes solid decisions in creating open looks for teammates while putting nonstop pressure on the defense. Davis can operate out of the post or attack out of pick-and-roll, with the ability to connect from long range, hit midrange pull-ups and finish with either hand around the basket.

While his scoring efficiency (48% from 2, 31% from 3) isn't ideal and he is inconsistent in generating assists compared to other combo guard prospects, he plays a winning style of basketball. Being forced to play an outsized role with little help around him will benefit his long-term development. The fact that he expends as much energy on the defensive end, especially in crashing the glass, is notable.

Playing in the brutal Big Ten will test Davis, while also providing an ideal platform for scouts to evaluate him against a slew of projected draft picks. The fact that he doesn't turn 20 until the end of the college season will help his cause, as he will be one of the youngest sophomores projected to be drafted this summer.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#46 » by buckboy » Wed Jan 5, 2022 4:36 pm

I still think Davis settles in the mid first round area. I still don't believe in his jumper and I think further evidence of that lack of a jumper will cause him to slide a little as the season progresses.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#47 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 5, 2022 9:58 pm

buckboy wrote:I still think Davis settles in the mid first round area. I still don't believe in his jumper and I think further evidence of that lack of a jumper will cause him to slide a little as the season progresses.

I have him around 10th. I don't think he has great size or athleticism, but he plays with such confidence in his ability to score - that it's going to be hard for teams to pass on him. Listed at 6'5, I would have guessed he's 6'4 at the most. Either way, he'll be long gone by the time the Bucks pick.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by ReginaldDwight » Thu Jan 6, 2022 4:52 am

Ruzious wrote:
buckboy wrote:I still think Davis settles in the mid first round area. I still don't believe in his jumper and I think further evidence of that lack of a jumper will cause him to slide a little as the season progresses.

I have him around 10th. I don't think he has great size or athleticism, but he plays with such confidence in his ability to score - that it's going to be hard for teams to pass on him. Listed at 6'5, I would have guessed he's 6'4 at the most. Either way, he'll be long gone by the time the Bucks pick.

Where do you have Pat Baldwin Jr.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 6, 2022 11:11 am

ReginaldDwight wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I figure he's a poor man's Michael Porter Jr - just don't know how poor. I'd say late 1st now with a chance to move up quickly.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#50 » by emunney » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:06 pm

As long as we're talking Jr.s, I could absolutely be down for taking Michael Foster, Jr.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by ReginaldDwight » Thu Jan 6, 2022 7:28 pm

Ruzious wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I have him around 10th. I don't think he has great size or athleticism, but he plays with such confidence in his ability to score - that it's going to be hard for teams to pass on him. Listed at 6'5, I would have guessed he's 6'4 at the most. Either way, he'll be long gone by the time the Bucks pick.

I figure he's a poor man's Michael Porter Jr - just don't know how poor. I'd say late 1st now with a chance to move up quickly.

He cant stay on the floor so its hard to get a good judge on his game. Dudes ankle is a major red flag
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 6, 2022 7:32 pm

ReginaldDwight wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:Where do you have Pat Baldwin Jr.

He cant stay on the floor so its hard to get a good judge on his game. Dudes ankle is a major red flag

See that, he's injury-prone just like MPJ (no relation to any of the Kevin Porters). :D
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 6, 2022 7:43 pm

emunney wrote:As long as we're talking Jr.s, I could absolutely be down for taking Michael Foster, Jr.

Kinda looks like a young Zach Randolph. Seems like he does most of his damage inside the paint - not sure if that's gonna work for him in the NBA - probably needs to develop a consistent 3 ball.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,361

Post#54 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:04 pm

Trevor Keels giving me some Lu Dort vibes.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:24 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Trevor Keels giving me some Lu Dort vibes.

I'm not a fan. Real strong build, but he's short for a 2 and a very inconsistent shooter. Good defender but doesn't stand out, imo. But Coach K seems to like him more than Griffin.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:19 pm

Yahoo's latest mock has Tari Eason going 25th.

Tari Eason — No. 25 (new to list)
Eason transferred to LSU from Cincinnati this season and has found more freedom in Will Wade's offense, averaging 16.3 points per game during conference play. Eason is a tremendous athlete and loves to play above the rim whenever possible. He looks significantly more comfortable on the court compared to last season and has good pace and patience to his game. Eason recorded two double-doubles in the past six games and had one of the most impressive dunks in transition in a win over Tennessee last week.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#57 » by emunney » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:37 pm

Eason is really interesting. He's a long 6-8, kind of reminds of John Collins in some ways, but he's a very different kind of player. Collins' touch inside has always been great; Eason is just alright there, but he's got some instincts and wiggle attacking off the bounce that can be pretty eye-popping. Quick hands, too. I'd be pretty excited to bring him in. I don't think it's crazy to say he's got Kawhi level upside.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,830

Post#58 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:18 pm

ReginaldDwight wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:I haven't seen UW-M play. Why is Baldwin not absolutely dominating?

Hes had covid, and their lineup has been in shambles and a lack of someone to break a full court press are the biggest problems. Hes had a couple moments where you see the shot making potential though which will be enough for him to stay in the late lotto IMO. FYI tickets are dirt cheap for UWM games worth checking him out in person.

Bought 4th row tickets (agree dirt cheap). Thought it would be great if he made them a top 50 team (I would think a prospect of his caliber would bring in a solid JUCO transfer and make a decent team). Nope, total waste of time and money. Even when Baldwin was playing, they are bad. His teammates cant even break a full court press. It was embarrassing the games I was at. RPI is 329. Just a bad team.

As for Baldin, he isnt the star I was hoping he would be. Still could be great but just doesnt have the dire on the court. Heard some rumblings that there are chemistry issues where he might be deferring too much to make up for it? But he isnt dominating like he should. Giannis (I know, not fair) was putting up some 15/8 game against the Spurs at the same age. No reason PBJ shouldnt be dominating this competition. That said, hell yeah I would take him if he fell to the end of the first round. Can't have enough shooting big men to pair with Giannis.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by ReginaldDwight » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:10 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:I haven't seen UW-M play. Why is Baldwin not absolutely dominating?

Hes had covid, and their lineup has been in shambles and a lack of someone to break a full court press are the biggest problems. Hes had a couple moments where you see the shot making potential though which will be enough for him to stay in the late lotto IMO. FYI tickets are dirt cheap for UWM games worth checking him out in person.

Bought 4th row tickets (agree dirt cheap). Thought it would be great if he made them a top 50 team (I would think a prospect of his caliber would bring in a solid JUCO transfer and make a decent team). Nope, total waste of time and money. Even when Baldwin was playing, they are bad. His teammates cant even break a full court press. It was embarrassing the games I was at. RPI is 329. Just a bad team.

As for Baldin, he isnt the star I was hoping he would be. Still could be great but just doesnt have the dire on the court. Heard some rumblings that there are chemistry issues where he might be deferring too much to make up for it? But he isnt dominating like he should. Giannis (I know, not fair) was putting up some 15/8 game against the Spurs at the same age. No reason PBJ shouldnt be dominating this competition. That said, hell yeah I would take him if he fell to the end of the first round. Can't have enough shooting big men to pair with Giannis.

For the 9 dollars a ticket it cost me to sit 2nd row I cant complain really. Its frustrating seeing as the team could easily be at the top of the horizon if they just recruited SE wisconsin better. So much talent coming out of the area now and UWM can only bring in guys who should be playing at Point or something.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,588

Post#60 » by tski1972 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:12 pm

ReginaldDwight wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:Hes had covid, and their lineup has been in shambles and a lack of someone to break a full court press are the biggest problems. Hes had a couple moments where you see the shot making potential though which will be enough for him to stay in the late lotto IMO. FYI tickets are dirt cheap for UWM games worth checking him out in person.

For the 9 dollars a ticket it cost me to sit 2nd row I cant complain really. Its frustrating seeing as the team could easily be at the top of the horizon if they just recruited SE wisconsin better. So much talent coming out of the area now and UWM can only bring in guys who should be playing at Point or something.

Hey, I went to Point!
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes

Return to Milwaukee Bucks