ImageImageImage

Jason Kidd Head Coach - Discussion

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Re: Jason Kidd Head Coach - Discussion 

Post#21 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Nov 1, 2021 4:35 pm

Imon wrote:I hate to be the downer here but has there been any evidence in Kidd's short coaching career that he'll make a good head coach?
His time with the Nets ended poorly and his stint with the Bucks was mediocre and when Budenholzer took over the Bucks saw some real success.
I remain skeptical of Kidd - we'll see as the season progresses.

Playing all 15 guys is a weird move - I don't like it. It might make guys feel good temporarily but Kidd obviously can't keep this up for the entire season. No player on any team seriously expects that they deserve playing time without having to earn it. Again, the season is young and we still don't know the identity of the team but a meeting with the "leadership council" of the team 3 games in? C'mon.

Just wait until next time when the player council requests that all 15 players start the next game...

As a symbolic team-building thing to start the new season I think that was kind of cool. The most important thing is winning the game, but I think it shows some togetherness and leadership.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#22 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Nov 1, 2021 5:57 pm

Kidd needs to make the offense similar to Carlisle's, but just make sure that if a player can pump fake or otherwise get an open mid-range J, then they take it. So the default is the 3 ball, but if they get an open Mid-Range J via pump fake, PnR, PnP, trailing, etc., then they should just take it.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#23 » by Mr B » Mon Nov 1, 2021 6:57 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:Kidd needs to make the offense similar to Carlisle's, but just make sure that if a player can pump fake or otherwise get an open mid-range J, then they take it. So the default is the 3 ball, but if they get an open Mid-Range J via pump fake, PnR, PnP, trailing, etc., then they should just take it.

They ran a lot of P&R yesterday. I noticed Powell setting a lot of high screens for Luka.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,796

Post#24 » by 41Dirk41 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 3:59 am

THJ is a 6th man at best, when he isn't hot for 3 is pretty useless. Move to the bench.
DFS and Powell are 10/15 minutes role players.

This rotation make me lose pleasure of watching the games, try something new as fast as possible...against bad team Luka can win alone, we need try different players. Nothing to lose.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#25 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 5, 2022 3:22 am

Mavs are a top 10 defense? Is that true?

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,489

Post#26 » by Maverick41 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 5:16 am

Mr B wrote:Mavs are a top 10 defense? Is that true?

Yup top 10 in defensive rating as of last game. Posted that in the Denver game thread. See stats below:

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced/?sort=PACE&dir=-1
Mr B
RealGM

Post#27 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 5, 2022 9:41 am

Maverick41 wrote:
Mr B wrote:Mavs are a top 10 defense? Is that true?

Yup top 10 in defensive rating as of last game. Posted that in the Denver game thread. See stats below:

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced/?sort=PACE&dir=-1

So in spite of how the season has gone Kidd is actually accomplishing what he’s set out to do and that’s make this a better defensive team. I’m sure that’s going to set a lot of people off around here.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#28 » by Mr B » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:54 am

Holding the Warriors to 82 points is pretty good!
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 8:34 am

Mr B wrote:Holding the Warriors to 82 points is pretty good!

Good job by Jason...
Mr B
RealGM

Post#30 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 7, 2022 8:06 am

41Dirk41 wrote:

Good job by Jason...

His goal for the team seems to be coming to fruition. It will be interesting to see how this team does if they can acquire some better defensive players. I’m still hoping they can find a way to trade for a Myles Turner.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,338

Post#31 » by Mavrelous » Fri Jan 7, 2022 12:33 pm

Mr B wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

Good job by Jason...

His goal for the team seems to be coming to fruition. It will be interesting to see how this team does if they can acquire some better defensive players. I’m still hoping they can find a way to trade for a Myles Turner.

It is the 3rd game in a row where teams look really bad against the Mavs, we wrote off OKC as bad team, Nuggets and backcourtless team and now the Warriors, it's becoming a pattern I hope it stays this way.
One thing that won't stay the same, is the swarm defense he's been using these 3 games won't work with KP/Brunson combination.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#32 » by Mavrelous » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:10 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=ucIyM8D1lFwj3QhKukQrig&s=19

Interesting stat
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,205

Post#33 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:58 pm

I think what Kidd has done is pretty impressive. He basically turned a team that was super efficient on offense into a defensive team. It's kinda crazy to see how two coaches can do such a different job, but both came up with more or less the same result. What is interesting is that we know this team got offensive potential, but it is hard for us fans to fathom what it is like to play either way. Like why does the shooting suddenly become so bad? Does playing defense take so much energy out of you? Is it because the team does not practice it as much?
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:25 pm

Happy to see Jason does an amazing job with Mavs.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,928

Post#35 » by Archx » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:55 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:I think what Kidd has done is pretty impressive. He basically turned a team that was super efficient on offense into a defensive team. It's kinda crazy to see how two coaches can do such a different job, but both came up with more or less the same result. What is interesting is that we know this team got offensive potential, but it is hard for us fans to fathom what it is like to play either way. Like why does the shooting suddenly become so bad? Does playing defense take so much energy out of you? Is it because the team does not practice it as much?

Shooting the ball poorly has nothing to do with Kidd. KP is below 30% and so was Luka few days ago. These two were both 35% last season without so many quality looks.
By all metrics Luka generates insane amount of open looks for DFS, Maxi and even KP. But Mavs are bottom 5 in making them. There are also Bullock and THJ, both struggled with their shooting. I haven't seen an NBA team in my 30 years of following NBA miss so many quality shoots over extended period of the season.

I'm not sure people are aware of this but out of players with extended minutes, Powell is Mavs best % 3pt shooter for the season at 41%. I mean w00t :o For a team that is suppose to rely on Luka to create open looks and then to knock them down, no wonder Mavs are so bad on offense, couple that with Doncic's own struggles with his shot it's a miracle Mavs have this record.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#36 » by Mavrelous » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:15 pm

Archx wrote:I'm not sure people are aware of this but out of players with extended minutes, Powell is Mavs best % 3pt shooter for the season at 41%.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, shooting has been aweful regardless of defense, THJ and Bullock were logging 20-25 MPG and still bricking.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,981

Post#37 » by Apz » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:29 pm

Hope that was the game that bullock needed to unlock his normal production
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:50 pm

Apz wrote:Hope that was the game that bullock needed to unlock his normal production

Me too.

Probably THJ out is helping him a lot... And maybe us too :lol:
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#39 » by fuller4379 » Mon May 9, 2022 9:35 pm

Kidd seems to have hit his stride in his third stint as a head coach. He has been great at making adjustments during half time of games and between games during the post season. The Mavs are a much better team on defense now.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue May 24, 2022 1:31 pm

I don't understand why he never tried Chriss or Boban for that 8/10 minutes a game instead than Powell.
He gived us nothing in 3 PO series. NOTHING.

It's unbelieveble...Probably it is a players choice and not Kidd one. Anyway it is his fault because he is the HC and screwed the team is bad.

Return to Dallas Mavericks