ImageImageImage

Time to discuss josh Green

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Time to discuss josh Green 

Post#1 » by Pinkyring » Sat Jan 8, 2022 5:47 am

I think we can mostly agree we assumed he was a bust and while bane and bey would have been better picks, I think green is showing something. he isn't going to be an all star but i think considering him being drafted with no real camp nor summer league last season and this season (Olympics) he's developing fine. the main two major flaws i see are he plays too fast needs to slow down and of course his 3 point shot. He's surprise good as a playmaker; he's a good defender and has a good motor; i could see him being a 20mpg rotation guy as soon as next season with a bit growth, your thoughts?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,336

Re: Time to discuss josh Green 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Sat Jan 8, 2022 9:16 am

Absolutely, he needs confidence, he passes too many open looks that he should be shooting, he's not good enough to not be a threat from 3 pt, and he's too erratic and fast.
On the bright side, he has very good handles, great vision, and very good foot speed.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#3 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 9:26 am

I cheer for him.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,856

Post#4 » by dirkules_41 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 10:52 am

Always liked him. Remember he was a very young rookie in comparison to some others when we drafted him so imo he always needed some time. But his fundamentals are great and he seems to just need playing time and confidence to become a valuable asset.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#5 » by leolozon » Sat Jan 8, 2022 12:33 pm

Bane was never close to being in the discussion and we can't say that Bey is a better pick anymore. Green has shown more this year while Bey hasn't shown more so far. Considering that Green is a year younger, he just has more upside right now.

I'll say this again, because I've been one of the few Green defenders: if he gets to 35% from 3, he can become a rotation guy on a championship team. He has a lot of tools and energy, plus he's still young.

That's a big if, but I still rather roll the dice with Green than Bey right now.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 1:36 pm

leolozon wrote:Bane was never close to being in the discussion and we can't say that Bey is a better pick anymore. Green has shown more this year while Bey didn't. Considering that Green is a year younger, he just has more upside right now.

I'll say this again, because I've been one of the few Green defenders: if he gets to 35% from 3, he can become a rotation guy on a championship team. He has a lot of tools and energy, plus he's still young.

That's a big if, but I still rather roll the dice with Green than Bey right now.

Exactly, he has a lot of tools that he can develope at high level.
I don't know if he can do that or if he will became an all arounder but not enough good in nothing.

Now it's all on him, practice practice practice.
Go Josh we have faith in you!
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#7 » by Darren » Sat Jan 8, 2022 3:11 pm

Green finally figures out how to stay in front of the offensive player. I make thing looks easy for both end. I think Green is already a rotation guard. Green make actually surpass Bullock. Don't forget that Bullock is pretty limited putting the ball on the ground. Green and DFS are significantly better in this regards.
deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#8 » by deb » Sat Jan 8, 2022 4:14 pm

leolozon wrote:Bane was never close to being in the discussion and we can't say that Bey is a better pick anymore. Green has shown more this year while Bey didn't. Considering that Green is a year younger, he just has more upside right now.

Did he really? Green's played 270 mins this season, averages 3.6 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1.1 apg. Saddiq Bey averages 14.8 ppg and 6.3 rpg and Green's showed more than him? Don't get me wrong, it's great we finally get to see some signs of life from the mavs' 18th pick, but it's a small sample size and he needs to not only maintain this but get better to even get in the conversation with Bane and Bey.

The positive is, he at least looks like a basketball player now...
leolozon
General Manager

Post#9 » by leolozon » Sat Jan 8, 2022 5:23 pm

deb wrote:

Did he really? Green's played 270 mins this season, averages 3.6 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1.1 apg. Saddiq Bey averages 14.8 ppg and 6.3 rpg and Green's showed more than him? Don't get me wrong, it's great we finally get to see some signs of life from the mavs' 18th pick, but it's a small sample size and he needs to not only maintain this but get better to even get in the conversation with Bane and Bey.

I said that he has shown more vs his first year, not that he has shown more than Bey. Bey isn't better than last year, he's just playing more minutes. His advanced stats and efficiency are down.

I wouldn't use MPG to compare an older player on a bad team and a player who is more raw but with better tools. The trajectory is the most important thing and we have seem some growth from Green. Considering I'm not that high on Bey who is a negative player right now, I rather gamble on a player with more upside even if the odds aren't great that he becomes a good player.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#10 » by Bob8 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 6:03 pm

leolozon wrote:
deb wrote:

I said that he has shown more vs his first year, not that he has shown more than Bey. Bey isn't better than last year, he's just playing more minutes. His advanced stats and efficiency are down.

I wouldn't use MPG to compare an older player on a bad team and a player who is more raw but with better tools. The trajectory is the most important thing and we have seem some growth from Green. Considering I'm not that high on Bey who is a negative player right now, I rather gamble on a player with more upside even if the odds aren't great that he becomes a good player.

The trajectory from 0 will always be positive. How many good games did Green really had this year? He made 4 3s this year, which is a big improvement from last year, but the number is still laughable low.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#11 » by fuller4379 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 6:23 pm

At least he has a chance under Kidd. Carlisle is not a good coach for a project player. Green would be spending half the season in Carlisle’s Dog House.
leolozon
General Manager

Post#12 » by leolozon » Sat Jan 8, 2022 6:36 pm

Bob8 wrote:
leolozon wrote:
deb wrote:

The trajectory from 0 will always be positive. How many good games did Green really had this year? He made 4 3s this year, which is a big improvement from last year, but the number is still laughable low.

We know you don't like him.

No one is saying that he has a good chance of being a good player, but he does have a chance and he does have good tools.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#13 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 8, 2022 10:06 pm

Pinkyring wrote:I think we can mostly agree we assumed he was a bust and while bane and bey would have been better picks, I think green is showing something. he isn't going to be an all star but i think considering him being drafted with no real camp nor summer league last season and this season (Olympics) he's developing fine. the main two major flaws i see are he plays too fast needs to slow down and of course his 3 point shot. He's surprise good as a playmaker; he's a good defender and has a good motor; i could see him being a 20mpg rotation guy as soon as next season with a bit growth, your thoughts?

His court vision is better than I thought it was.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#14 » by Pinkyring » Sat Jan 8, 2022 10:37 pm

Mr B wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:I think we can mostly agree we assumed he was a bust and while bane and bey would have been better picks, I think green is showing something. he isn't going to be an all star but i think considering him being drafted with no real camp nor summer league last season and this season (Olympics) he's developing fine. the main two major flaws i see are he plays too fast needs to slow down and of course his 3 point shot. He's surprise good as a playmaker; he's a good defender and has a good motor; i could see him being a 20mpg rotation guy as soon as next season with a bit growth, your thoughts?

His court vision is better than I thought it was.

Yeah that surprised us all i think, he can be more than a 3d guy if he gets the 3 down obviously lol.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,923

Post#15 » by Archx » Sat Jan 8, 2022 11:13 pm

The fact that he is not hesitating when he has an open shot, is a huge improvement for him. Can only go up from here.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#16 » by Darren » Sun Jan 9, 2022 12:02 am

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenjo02.html

Per 36 mins,

Green averages 121 OFF 106 DEF
16 points, 5.9 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.6 steals, 0.7 blocks on 53.8% from 2P, 28.6% from 3P, 75% from FT with 4.3 PF and 1.3 TO

That's significant improved. If you only count last 2 games, the statistics is significantly different as well.

From eye test,

Green improves in staying in front of offensive player, make decision to shoot or drive decisively, shoot with good mechanics, move off balls, cut down turnovers...

If Green can continue the trend, that's already a rotation player in a making. With a perimeter % over 33%, then Green is already ahead of Bullock in depth chart.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#17 » by Bob8 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 7:52 am

Darren wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenjo02.html

Per 36 mins,

16 points, 5.9 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.6 steals, 0.7 blocks on 53.8% from 2P, 28.6% from 3P, 75% from FT with 4.3 PF and 1.3 TO

That's significant improved. If you only count last 2 games, the statistics is significantly different as well.

From eye test,

Green improves in staying in front of offensive player, make decision to shoot or drive decisively, shoot with good mechanics, move off balls, cut down turnovers...

If Green can continue the trend, that's already a rotation player in a making. With a perimeter % over 33%, then Green is already ahead of Bullock in depth chart.

It's 11.5 not 16 points and in last disastrous year it was 8.2, just to show how useless is per 36 minutes for players that play very little. Boban is avg. 30 points per 36 minutes. ;)

We have to understand that level of basketball in last month is the lowest in Nba history. It's somewhere in between Nba and G-league. Many players look better than they really are.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 10:30 am

Bob8 wrote:
Darren wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenjo02.html

Per 36 mins,

From eye test,

It's 11.5 not 16 points and in last disastrous year it was 8.2, just to show how useless is per 36 minutes for players that play very little. Boban is avg. 30 points per 36 minutes. ;)

We have to understand that level of basketball in last month is the lowest in Nba history. It's somewhere in between Nba and G-league. Many players look better than they really are.

That's the problem, how reliable can those numbers be?
Lance drops 30points and 16+14 last 2games... And he was out of NBA 5days ago.
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#19 » by juanc » Sun Jan 9, 2022 12:35 pm

I need to say a few things about my boy Josh Green. Watching the past few games and I am more and more impressed with his understanding of the game(especially on offense). There are so many little things that he shows/makes, that have the potential to make a huge difference. And what once were only flashes that he has shown, are now stretches, and that is huge IMO.

For example this play. He immediately recognizes that KP is left alone for a second and about to have a missmatch in the post and gives a sign to Bullock. Great at recognizing advantages and communicating. This play was at around 6:10 in the 2nd quater vs SAC

Now we all know that he is a good cutter, but let me tell you something else. He is great! Once again great at realizing that his defender has lost him, he cuts and then our favourite former Mav HB has no other choice than to help. Which leaves DFS wiiiiiiiideeeeeeee open for the 3.

As for the other aspects of his game... First of all let me say, that he basically had no offseason to work on his game. The first year was the COVID lockdown, a really uniqe situation, and the last offseason, he was with the Aussies at the Olympics. There are no major tournaments this year, so he should have time to work on his game this following offseason. I think there are 2 major aspects of his game that need to be polished:
1st one is ballhandling - He gets sloppywith the ball and attacking the basketball. A better handle would work miracles for him. It would be easier forhim toattack the basket, to pass, basically everything would be easier.
2nd one is shooting and I think that I don't need to explain that part. He was able to shoot in college, he can hit his freethrow, he just needs to work on it,becouse he has shown in the previous years that he can shoot.

Oh and something for my friend Bob... He is still half a year younger than Bey when he played his first NBA game...
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#20 » by arkuo » Sun Jan 9, 2022 4:19 pm

Green should be a nice DFS replacement if somr team offers DFS $18M or something similar to Jerami Grant money.

Return to Dallas Mavericks