ImageImageImage

Curry and Embiid?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,471

Curry and Embiid? 

Post#1 » by youngcrev » Sun Jan 9, 2022 3:30 am

We do enough hating on guys around here, time for a little love. Obviously Embiid has been a beast, and gets his proper due for such, but man, Seth has been really freaking good this year.

As of today he's at 16.3 PPG, .411 from 3, .600(!) from 2, .873 from the line (.634 TS).

I think he's been clearly the second best/most important player on the team this year, and his chemistry with Embiid in the 2 man game continues to grow.

In addition to his .411 from 3, he's also shooting .595 on his pull up 2s, which puts him in elite territory in that category (highest mark over 100 attempts in the 9 years of tracking data per Rich Hoffman). Let's just say the dude can shoot.

He still disappears far more often than I'd like, so I'd like to see him be more aggressive, but man was he a great acquisition by Morey. Hyper efficient and typically makes the right play.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Re: Curry and Embiid? 

Post#2 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 9, 2022 6:08 am

This is why Morey is going hard for Dame.

He gets this chemistry while also getting a guy who can carry the team when Biid is physically or spiritually not available.

People dont talk so much about how special Embiid’s screens are. His defender is usually the opponent’s defensive anchor, and that guy has to be glued at him. That defender can’t step out or switch off the 2 man screen play, and this lead to a lot of open looks for Seth. Maxey also benefits a lot from this.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#3 » by Sportfan73 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 6:19 am

76ciology wrote:This is why Morey is going hard for Dame.

He gets this chemistry while also getting a guy who can carry the team when Biid is physically or spiritually not available.

People dont talk so much about how special Embiid’s screens are. His defender is usually the opponent’s defensive anchor, and that guy has to be glued at him. That defender can’t step out or switch off the 2 man screen play, and this lead to a lot of open looks for Seth. Maxey also benefits a lot from this.

Off ball wise besides curry I would say Beal is actually the best possible fit with Biid 2 man game. Dude is great at moving off ball
76ciology
RealGM

Post#4 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 9, 2022 6:21 am

Sportfan73 wrote:

Off ball wise besides curry I would say Beal is actually the best possible fit with Biid 2 man game. Dude is great at moving off ball

Yeah Im also Ok with him

But im a little uneasy with his inability to be a good 3pt shooter.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by Sportfan73 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 6:40 am

76ciology wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:

Yeah Im also Ok with him

He’s definitely not number one total on my like total list but he’s above dame. I think he and Joel would make a great 1-2 punch
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,880

Post#6 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 9, 2022 2:23 pm

Sportfan73 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:Off ball wise besides curry I would say Beal is actually the best possible fit with Biid 2 man game. Dude is great at moving off ball

Yeah Im also Ok with him

He’s definitely not number one total on my like total list but he’s above dame. I think he and Joel would make a great 1-2 punch

Just due to age alone I'd far prefer Beal to Lillard. Still, give me Ingram as the top target, or a Halliburton package.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by Sportfan73 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 4:56 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Yeah Im also Ok with him

Just due to age alone I'd far prefer Beal to Lillard. Still, give me Ingram as the top target, or a Halliburton package.

100 percent those are mine as well. Think playing with Joel in Philly could be perfect storm for ingrams development
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,538

Post#8 » by SixthStreet » Sun Jan 9, 2022 4:59 pm

I want Curry traded. All this shooting he does is mitigated and worse when a nobody like Huerter can hunt and annihilate you in a playoff series and make Curry a liability even accounting for the fact Curry was himself shooting lights out in the series.

He's a functional, useful player for this roster. Is he good? No.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#9 » by kuclas » Sun Jan 9, 2022 5:25 pm

SixthStreet wrote:I want Curry traded. All this shooting he does is mitigated and worse when a nobody like Huerter can hunt and annihilate you in a playoff series and make Curry a liability even accounting for the fact Curry was himself shooting lights out in the series.

Was curry the problem? Who fouled huerter with sixer down by 1 and 8 seconds left on shot clock giving then 3 foul shots ?

The problem in hawks series wasn’t curry. It was doc rivers refusing to recognize he should stick with Milton or Maxey at the point guard in the 4th quarter.

Sixers had retaken a 4 point lead early in the fourth. Sixers with Milton running the point were up 81-77 (9 point swing when milton Was running the point guard position and Simmons at his natural power forward position).

The problem is running ben at the point guard position down the stretch. Not curry.

Notice we won games 2 with Milton on fire. And Maxey in game 6 (not by choice but by Simmons in foul trouble)

That tells you all you need to know. Unless sixers comfortable ahead. It’s hard to play ben down the stretch. But ben is needed if he can play hard for 30 minutes but just can’t be the primary ball handler in the last 5 minutes of close games.

Plus doc in catch-22 without Danny green playing thybulle for defense plus Simmons on the court. Two non shooters.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by mjkvol » Sun Jan 9, 2022 5:45 pm

SixthStreet wrote:I want Curry traded. All this shooting he does is mitigated and worse when a nobody like Huerter can hunt and annihilate you in a playoff series and make Curry a liability even accounting for the fact Curry was himself shooting lights out in the series.

The problem was not having anyone else who could get us a bucket other than Curry. If he's off the floor, who was providing any offense other than Embiid? The problem was Doc leaving him on an island to get roasted as well as having Simmons as the PG.

We need functional, useful role players, and Curry fits that to a 'T' at a great price. But we've learned the hard way over and over that being overly dependent on role players in the biggest spots is the surest way to never winning playoff series against good teams.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#11 » by 76ciology » Sun Jan 9, 2022 6:58 pm

You will not get a value as good as Curry is in return if you trade him.

The best set-up, and I will guess that Morey knows this. Is you get someone like Dame or Beal. Let him run Seth’s role with the starter. Then stagger Dame or Beal with Biid, where you have Dame or Beal running PnR with a good back-up C like Drummond and Biid running DHO with Seth.

Its easy to imagine how good that will be.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#12 » by TTP » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:21 am

Huerter didn't annihilate Curry in the series. Curry clearly had the better series of the two individually. The Sixers were +59 with Curry on the floor that series too - we dominated his minutes as a team so he clearly wasn't dragging us down (and the Hawks finished negative in Huerter's minutes). Curry was very clearly a huge net positive and the Sixers second best player that series.

Our playoff problems are what they've always been - the dudes that can't get it done with Embiid off the floor, which isn't Curry because we generally play them together. Hopefully Maxey is the solution for that going forward because it's definitely not Harris.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,538

Post#13 » by SixthStreet » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:21 am

You refuted your +59 in your own post by saying Curry's minutes are tied to Embiid. Anyone's +/- is going to be well above water if they only play with Joel and it isn't instructive in any manner.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#14 » by Heezzi » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:03 pm

Huerter is 6'7". Curry is 6'2". So he is supposed to guard a player 5 inches taller than him? Green being out hurt the Sixers. Ben only scoring 5 points didn't help.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,490

Post#15 » by elchengue20 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:10 am

Yeap, Biid makes life way easier to any guard who can shoot. That's why its a shame we never had a really good guard scorer playing next to him.

If a journemay like Seth is playing very well, imagine what he could do with a player like Dame or Beal.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,479

Post#16 » by GoSixersBro » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:25 pm

elchengue20 wrote:

Yeap, Biid makes life way easier to any guard who can shoot. That's why its a shame we never had a really good guard scorer playing next to him.

If a journemay like Seth is playing very well, imagine what he could do with a player like Dame or Beal.

Essentially wasting Embiid's prime if we're being honest. Morey HAS to go get the guy. Our organization has wasted nearly half a decade now on Simmons.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,034

Post#17 » by Murray_17 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:40 pm

elchengue20 wrote:

Beal has become a worse 3 point shooter progressively since 2017, to the point he's just trash at it the last 2 seasons, why? who knows :lol: :lol:

It's one fo the reasons i don't know how much he will fit with Joel.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,490

Post#18 » by elchengue20 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:25 pm

Thats a major question mark.

When we talk about Dame or Beal we imagine the player they were 1 or 2 seasons ago.

In this season both are having a big decline in their games, in both cases it looks like they have some kind of physical issue. Dame has been terrible since the Olyimpics and is now having surgery, he ll be out for nearly two months.

Both are small guards entering their 30's who never were nothing special from an athletic standpoint. Those kind of players can decline very fast, specially if they are facing injury problems. Beal is 3 years younger but has a worse injury history than Dame.

I think Dame case is more concerning because hes going to be 32 in July. And hes having a bigger decline than Beal, i think Beal shot has to get better eventually, otherwise he isnt been that bad.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by mjkvol » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:53 pm

I'll be very happy if it's neither Beal or Lillard when all is said and done. My hope is to land a player or players that give us more than a 1-2 year window to compete, a chance to continue building something here.

Give me Ingram or even Haliburton without having to empty our cupboard, and then any kind of decent fitting piece for Harris, and I'm good to go.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,408

Post#20 » by Jailblazers7 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:09 pm

Seth is just a classic example of a good player being asked to do too much. He shouldn’t be playing 35 mins and having a huge portion of the offense dependent on his two man game with Embiid. Get a star-caliber guard on this team and Seth gets to slot into a more natural role for him.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers