Game 39: Portland vs Sacramento 6:00pm Root, Root+ 

Post#1 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Jan 9, 2022 5:41 pm

vs

Time: 6:00pm
Place: Moda Center
TV: Root,Root+

GLB of the game Samara Weaving
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Re: Game 39: Portland vs Sacramento 6:00pm Root, Root+ 

Post#2 » by ducler » Sun Jan 9, 2022 8:27 pm

Read on Twitter
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#3 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:59 am

1st quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#4 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:35 am

2nd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#5 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:12 am

3rd quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#6 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:51 am

4th quarter GLB pic
Spoiler:
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Post#7 » by Norm2953 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:55 am

Amazing to see a more or less full strength NBA team losing by 18 to the guys Portland is playing tonight
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,221

Post#8 » by monopoman » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:58 am

I will say no matter how this season ends this is great experience for Simons, and even if we end up trading him we will have added a lot to his value if he keeps playing like this.

I would vastly prefer to keep him since we really only have 2 young prospects on the team though.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#9 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:19 am

Victory GLB pic
Spoiler:
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#10 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:43 am

monopoman wrote:I will say no matter how this season ends this is great experience for Simons, and even if we end up trading him we will have added a lot to his value if he keeps playing like this.

I would vastly prefer to keep him since we really only have 2 young prospects on the team though.

Yeah i’d say keep simons, i think with where we are at would make more sense to get a rebuild package for dame and give anfernee the reigns as the starting pg to see if he can do this consistently than to deal simons. I don’t see dame and simons being super compatible so i think if we can get a great return for dame to kick start a rebuild it could really get us in the right direction. Simons, while probably not the next dame, has shown he can be quite an effective scorer and at least at this point looks like a great asset going forward. Definitely already looks better than prospects along the lines of sebastian telfair or allen crabbe, maybe at this point he’s on a similar level to gtj but personally i think simons has more potential as a go to guy with his speed.and physical talent
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,221

Post#11 » by monopoman » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:57 am

Oden2 wrote:
monopoman wrote:I will say no matter how this season ends this is great experience for Simons, and even if we end up trading him we will have added a lot to his value if he keeps playing like this.

Yeah i’d say keep simons, i think with where we are at would make more sense to get a rebuild package for dame and give anfernee the reigns as the starting pg to see if he can do this consistently than to deal simons. I don’t see dame and simons being super compatible so i think if we can get a great return for dame to kick start a rebuild it could really get us in the right direction. Simons, while probably not the next dame, has shown he can be quite an effective scorer and at least at this point looks like a great asset going forward. Definitely already looks better than prospects along the lines of sebastian telfair or allen crabbe

Either way I am fine with it, a Simons+CJ trade means we move all in on Dame's final years and I would be perfectly fine with that depending on the player we trade for. Now if we decide to blow it up we keep Simon's and trade Dame which I would have trouble coming to grips with more because I really like Dame, but depending on the package it would make me more fine with it.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#12 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:58 am

Norm2953 wrote:Amazing to see a more or less full strength NBA team losing by 18 to the guys Portland is playing tonight

Wouldn’t be surprising if e cards were flipped and the blazers lost to rookies lol
    PDXKnight
    RealGM

Post#13 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:00 am

monopoman wrote:
    Oden2 wrote:

Yeah i’d say keep simons, i think with where we are at would make more sense to get a rebuild package for dame and give anfernee the reigns as the starting pg to see if he can do this consistently than to deal simons. I don’t see dame and simons being super compatible so i think if we can get a great return for dame to kick start a rebuild it could really get us in the right direction. Simons, while probably not the next dame, has shown he can be quite an effective scorer and at least at this point looks like a great asset going forward. Definitely already looks better than prospects along the lines of sebastian telfair or allen crabbe

Either way I am fine with it, a Simons+CJ trade means we move all in on Dame's final years and I would be perfectly fine with that depending on the player we trade for. Now if we decide to blow it up we keep Simon's and trade Dame which I would have trouble coming to grips with more because I really like Dame, but depending on the package it would make me more fine with it.

Yeah it 100 percent depends on the return either way.
    BlazersBroncos
    RealGM
    And1: 7,806

Post#14 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:57 pm

The most impressive improvement I have seen from Simons is his confidence and passing. We all knew he could shoot, but he is doing other things at a passable level that allows him to stay on the floor and max his elite shooting.

I still see him as more of a super 6th man type. Ideally we can move CJ and use Simons as the backup PG/SG. Even assuming Dame and Norm get around 34mpg that leaves 28mpg for Simons, and that is assuming Norm plays no SF minutes (Which he will). Simons could easily get 30-32mpg as a bench guy.
    Wizenheimer
    RealGM
    And1: 7,313

Post#15 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:02 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:The most impressive improvement I have seen from Simons is his confidence and passing. We all knew he could shoot, but he is doing other things at a passable level that allows him to stay on the floor and max his elite shooting.

I still see him as more of a super 6th man type. Ideally we can move CJ and use Simons as the backup PG/SG. Even assuming Dame and Norm get around 34mpg that leaves 28mpg for Simons, and that is assuming Norm plays no SF minutes (Which he will). Simons could easily get 30-32mpg as a bench guy.

that is still 3 crappy defenders in the back court (Norm is not a good defender at all). It's also putting too much of the scoring and usage on 3 guys under 6'4. That's bad roster balance and that bad balance has been the main issue for Portland since Aldridge left. And, assuming Simons gets a contract at about Powell's level, that's still 90M a year for 3 guards. That's too much....it just perpetuates the kind of olshey-vision that created this shtshow
    PDXKnight
    RealGM

Post#16 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:16 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
    BlazersBroncos wrote:The most impressive improvement I have seen from Simons is his confidence and passing. We all knew he could shoot, but he is doing other things at a passable level that allows him to stay on the floor and max his elite shooting.

that is still 3 crappy defenders in the back court (Norm is not a good defender at all). It's also putting too much of the scoring and usage on 3 guys under 6'4. That's bad roster balance and that bad balance has been the main issue for Portland since Aldridge left. And, assuming Simons gets a contract at about Powell's level, that's still 90M a year for 3 guards. That's too much....it just perpetuates the kind of olshey-vision that created this shtshow

Yes the roster composition is odd but I’m not prepared to let a 22 year old playing at this level walk away for nothing. Simons, unlike other tweener guards we’ve had, seems like he’s got a real chance to be a stud moving ahead. And if we get off our butts and rebuild finally, he looks like he can develop into a starting pg. If we can get anything that isn’t negative for cj trading him would be a good chance to thin the herd. Yeah the return probably won’t be great but feels like someone has to go and norm on a value deal seems better to keep around
    Wizenheimer
    RealGM
    And1: 7,313

Post#17 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:13 pm

Oden2 wrote:Yes the roster composition is odd but I’m not prepared to let a 22 year old playing at this level walk away for nothing. Simons, unlike other tweener guards we’ve had, seems like he’s got a real chance to be a stud moving ahead. And if we get off our butts and rebuild finally, he looks like he can develop into a starting pg. If we can get anything that isn’t negative for cj trading him would be a good chance to thin the herd. Yeah the return probably won’t be great but feels like someone has to go and norm on a value deal seems better to keep around

Portland's starting PG is Dame. And a Dame/Simons back court just reboots the exact same problem of the 7 years of the Dame/CJ back court. And a Dame/Powell/CJ back court rotation is a defensive disaster and invests way too much usage and salary cap in 3 under 6'4 guards. Like I said...that is just imbalance and the Dame/CJ era has proven that kind of imbalance is toxic to contending

What is Simons' role going to be? 6th man like Lou Williams? Williams never made more than 8M dollars. Simons will likely double that
    BlazersBroncos
    RealGM
    And1: 7,806

Post#18 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:20 am

One thing to note is that only DET, SAS and ORL are projected to have cap space in 2022.

SAS and ORL seem flush with guard prospects so from the outside DET seems like the top suitor. I bet some other teams can make space relatively easy, but at this early time those are the only 3 players.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers