GT #40, Cavaliers @ Warriors, 9 January 2022, 8:30 PM ET 

Post#1 » by ducler » Sun Jan 9, 2022 8:24 pm

Read on Twitter
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Re: GT #40, Cavaliers @ Warriors, 9 January 2022, 8:30 PM ET 

Post#2 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Jan 9, 2022 11:25 pm

Can LAmar Stevens defend guards? Basketball Reference is calling him a power forward.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#3 » by El Hespiritu » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:04 am

His defensive range goes from Trae Young to Domantas Sabonis.

Anyway, team defense switches a lot, even on mismatch... La Mar (like Kokoro) usually takes a deeper look on most dangerous players not immediately reachable by the Three Bigs but that's all.

Addendum: He's good on jumping to double defense and recovering after that but J.B. just used this tactic sparsely... don't know if we'll see it against Steph.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Post#4 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:17 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Can LAmar Stevens defend guards? Basketball Reference is calling him a power forward.

Well he can give effort, play physical, and rely on three 7fters having his back .... trying to decide if klay will score 50?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:59 am

Lauri and Love together doesn't work against athletic teams. Also, we need Okoro back and Windler needs to stay healthy.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:06 am

Also, if they're not going to call moving screens Stevens should just run through a couple of them.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by El Hespiritu » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:42 am

La Mar scored double than Klay at first half with 100% efg.

Just sayin'...
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#8 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:23 am

They need to talk to Evan about coping with opposing bigs pushing him around.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#9 » by KuruptedCav » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:40 pm

JonFromVA wrote:They need to talk to Evan about coping with opposing bigs pushing him around.

I didn’t catch the game, what do you mean coping?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#10 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:28 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:They need to talk to Evan about coping with opposing bigs pushing him around.

We had a lot of problems securing rebounds, not only were the Warriors very aggressive on the boards they were in some cases simply pushing our bigs out of the way so they could secure boards.

Obviously Evan isn't strong enough to be pushing and shoving full grown men in the paint yet, but I suspect there's some stuff over the history of the NBA that's been done to cope with playing against bigger stronger players that could be taught/applied even if it's flailing around like he's been murdered when he gets shoved.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by El Hespiritu » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:07 pm

Moble had yesterday pretty much same problems Allen had.
Let alone Laurita and Amor.

Probably same for Tweedle Dean or EDavis had they played tho EDavis' fang might had help a bit.

Gwarriors outplayed us all over the second half: they moved our Bigs all around and exploited the holes left behind faster than we could close them.

And they played physically tougher than us saving for La Mar and Darius (who is by no means a hustling-body type).
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#12 » by KuruptedCav » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:25 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:

We had a lot of problems securing rebounds, not only were the Warriors very aggressive on the boards they were in some cases simply pushing our bigs out of the way so they could secure boards.

Obviously Evan isn't strong enough to be pushing and shoving full grown men in the paint yet, but I suspect there's some stuff over the history of the NBA that's been done to cope with playing against bigger stronger players that could be taught/applied even if it's flailing around like he's been murdered when he gets shoved.

JonFromVA wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:

Gotcha. I was worried he was shying away or sulking or getting small or some other negative type response

I was more shocked by Allen not rebounding better.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#13 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:42 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:I didn’t catch the game, what do you mean coping?

JonFromVA wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:I didn’t catch the game, what do you mean coping?

Gotcha. I was worried he was shying away or sulking or getting small or some other negative type response

Nah, nothing to worry about. Time, physical development, and experience will fix it if JBB can't, but opponents are going to get physical with us to counter our length and the challenge is convincing the refs to blow their whistle. Easier said than done in front of a hyped up crowd against one of the top teams in the league; but we're not exactly talking elite big men here in Looney, Toscano-Anderson, Poole, etc.

On another topic, anyone else notice that nba.com has shrunk our big men? Mobley, Markkanen, and Allen all lost an inch compared to BBR, but everyone else is the same.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,637

Post#14 » by toooskies » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:53 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

JonFromVA wrote:

Nah, nothing to worry about. Time, physical development, and experience will fix it if JBB can't, but opponents are going to get physical with us to counter our length and the challenge is convincing the refs to blow their whistle. Easier said than done in front of a hyped up crowd against one of the top teams in the league; but we're not exactly talking elite big men here in Looney, Toscano-Anderson, Poole, etc.

On another topic, anyone else notice that nba.com has shrunk our big men? Mobley, Markkanen, and Allen all lost an inch compared to BBR, but everyone else is the same.

A problem this Cavs team has is that they DON'T foul much legitimately, so to be "fair" with whistles, the refs either don't call everything on the other team (i.e. shoves on rebounds) or call touch fouls on us illegitimately (Love had back-to-back foul calls with absolutely nothing there both times) to even out the numbers some.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#15 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:19 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:

A problem this Cavs team has is that they DON'T foul much legitimately, so to be "fair" with whistles, the refs either don't call everything on the other team (i.e. shoves on rebounds) or call touch fouls on us illegitimately (Love had back-to-back foul calls with absolutely nothing there both times) to even out the numbers some.

You hope in the long run the refs get used to seeing us not foul and eventually start assuming we didn't foul (this worked for the Spurs), but there is a "meta" game I'd like to see JBB show he can play/teach rather than just complaining to the refs non-stop.

The nba refs baffle me on what's legal .vs. illegal contact, and given it changes game to game; it's something the coach has to suss out and be able to change the team's approach on the fly.

Our 2016 championship team wasn't exactly loaded with thugs, but Lue got them playing physical defense against Steph and Klay and fortunately the refs were in the mood to let them get away with it.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#16 » by JonFromVA » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:38 am

Too bad with so many eyes on this game none of our potential All-Stars did very much.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#17 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:44 am

Cavs did not shoot well but the Warriors shot worse than the Cavs
Warriors winning the offenve rebound numbers 22 to 8 is the main reason the Warriors won.
Looney got 9 offensive boards. Looney maybe stronger than Mobley but Otto Porter got 5 offensive rebounds and he isn't stronger than Mobley. Warriors fans had some concern about Ayton being stronger than Looney.Looney is underated and gets the job done but he isn't as strong as as Ayton or Stevie Adams.

Next thought:
Markkanan isn't a small forward. He shot 3s at 40% as a stretch power forward and now while being defended by small forwards he is only shooting 3s at 3% You would think he could bring a defending small forward to the 3 point line and then rush to the paint to catch an entry pass and overpower the defending small orward but if Allen's and Mobley's defender are already in the paint they are potential help defenders that can stop Markkanan from posting up a small forward.

I thinking Markkanan has trade value as a stretch 4 but I think the Cavs are wasting him at small forward because with Allen, Mobley and Love there are no minutes for Markkannaon at power forward.Trade him and Rubio and Sexton and a 1st round pick for a top level off guard if you can.

Keep Rondo as your back up point guard. A back up point guard does not need to be great. I think Rondo may have 3 years left in his body before he is to old to play.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers