Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#161 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 2:32 pm

psman2 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:BOS/MEM/ORL
BOS in: Tyus
MEM in: Lopez, Pick swap with Boston (Lottery protected, if the swap doesn't convey we get a complicated 2023 Hou 2nd)
ORL in: Juan, cash, rights to swap 2nd rounders of some sort

I know Tyus highly likely outprices us this offseason and we lose him for nothing (or maybe get a 2nd in a S&T), but I still would be hesitant to move him unless we are blown away with an offer. I don't know if the above offer gets it done for me but thought I'd try to be creative. Watching teams that lack a quality backup PG struggle, I think I'd rather keep one of the best backup PGs for the season to keep pushing for home court this playoffs. If we could win a playoff series I think the experience would be invaluable for the rest of our young guys. Bane can cover backup PG enough that we probably still hold onto the 4th seed, but I think having Tyus helps our chances in the playoffs. Then this offseason we draft a PG to have as a cheap backup (Kennedy Chandler or TyTy Washington perhaps?).

Anderson has been really good too but I feel like we can replace his production much easier than Tyus so I'm more open to moving him. I don't think we can get a 1st but who knows. Maybe Chicago does DJJ+Por 1st for Anderson+two 2nds? Sac does Bagley+two 2nds? I'm fine if we sit pat because there isn't an offer that excites us.

I doubt Boston would do a 1st swap for Jones, that swap could be 5-10 spots in the 1st which is more than I think Jones could pull.

Here is my favorite trade with Orlando.
Tor in: Adams, future 2nd from Memphis
MEM in: Garry Harris, Bamba
ORL in: Dragic (buyout) and the better of the Mem/Utah pick

Harris has rebounded somewhat this year and would open up an Anderson trade. Bamba I think can really expand his game playing for some competent teammates, he has never played with a even average PG before. JJJ/Bamba can stretch the floor and protect the rim. 5 out all day and they could share the floor. Hopefully since there isn't a lot of cap space available this offseason we can retain him on a discount. I like 4/40 for him.

This opens up a big chuck of cap space and I think we put a big contract on Cam Johnson and steal him away from Phoenix since they will be a a big salary crunch with Ayton wanting the max and already paying Bridges. Cam is shooting lights out and has a well rounded game. There is not a lot of good FA targets this year, I am really zeroing on Cam as a guy we could land.

Harris has played well this year but barring an injury I'm not sure how much run he'd get for us seeing as our SG rotation is pretty full, not that it matters much since he is an expiring and Bamba is the prize. I think Bamba will want a deal similar to WCJ so it may be close to 4/50 to retain him. I do like the idea of Cam as a target though.

If we did move Tyus then maybe we try to get Dragic ourselves and send Culver to Orlando as the salary filler while keeping the rest of the trade intact. We also really need a consolidation trade especially if we do add Cam in the offseason. JJJ, Clarke, Cam, Tillie at PF assuming we move Anderson. Bamba, Tillman, Santi?, and some JJJ at center.

As for the Boston deal I was kind of struggling with the compensation component. I think to get Tyus it will take an overpay but it has to be a reasonable overpay since Tyus may just be a rental for Boston. Boston is too bad for a 1st to make sense so was trying to see if a swap might be better. They need to right the ship and Tyus would help with a lot of what they need. Boston also is super low on 2nds. I think they have like 3-4 total available to be traded but maybe two 2nds would work for us depending on the 2nds? The pick swap protections can be increased a bit as well to help. I tried to leave it mildly vague on purpose, but would prefer the pick swap to be on our pick next season seeing as we already have so much draft capital in this draft. It also lets Boston have a clean slate at sending a lower pick to us and on their end maybe they feel Memphis will be swapping them a better pick next year as the West gets healthier. I'd be willing to go up some on the protections anyway. Top 16-18 protected? I feel like moving up 5 spots in the draft is very reasonable for Tyus, but moving up 10 not so much.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,790

Post#162 » by psman2 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 5:59 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
psman2 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:BOS/MEM/ORL
BOS in: Tyus
MEM in: Lopez, Pick swap with Boston (Lottery protected, if the swap doesn't convey we get a complicated 2023 Hou 2nd)
ORL in: Juan, cash, rights to swap 2nd rounders of some sort

I know Tyus highly likely outprices us this offseason and we lose him for nothing (or maybe get a 2nd in a S&T), but I still would be hesitant to move him unless we are blown away with an offer. I don't know if the above offer gets it done for me but thought I'd try to be creative. Watching teams that lack a quality backup PG struggle, I think I'd rather keep one of the best backup PGs for the season to keep pushing for home court this playoffs. If we could win a playoff series I think the experience would be invaluable for the rest of our young guys. Bane can cover backup PG enough that we probably still hold onto the 4th seed, but I think having Tyus helps our chances in the playoffs. Then this offseason we draft a PG to have as a cheap backup (Kennedy Chandler or TyTy Washington perhaps?).

Anderson has been really good too but I feel like we can replace his production much easier than Tyus so I'm more open to moving him. I don't think we can get a 1st but who knows. Maybe Chicago does DJJ+Por 1st for Anderson+two 2nds? Sac does Bagley+two 2nds? I'm fine if we sit pat because there isn't an offer that excites us.

I doubt Boston would do a 1st swap for Jones, that swap could be 5-10 spots in the 1st which is more than I think Jones could pull.

Harris has rebounded somewhat this year and would open up an Anderson trade. Bamba I think can really expand his game playing for some competent teammates, he has never played with a even average PG before. JJJ/Bamba can stretch the floor and protect the rim. 5 out all day and they could share the floor. Hopefully since there isn't a lot of cap space available this offseason we can retain him on a discount. I like 4/40 for him.

This opens up a big chuck of cap space and I think we put a big contract on Cam Johnson and steal him away from Phoenix since they will be a a big salary crunch with Ayton wanting the max and already paying Bridges. Cam is shooting lights out and has a well rounded game. There is not a lot of good FA targets this year, I am really zeroing on Cam as a guy we could land.

Harris has played well this year but barring an injury I'm not sure how much run he'd get for us seeing as our SG rotation is pretty full, not that it matters much since he is an expiring and Bamba is the prize. I think Bamba will want a deal similar to WCJ so it may be close to 4/50 to retain him. I do like the idea of Cam as a target though.

If we did move Tyus then maybe we try to get Dragic ourselves and send Culver to Orlando as the salary filler while keeping the rest of the trade intact. We also really need a consolidation trade especially if we do add Cam in the offseason. JJJ, Clarke, Cam, Tillie at PF assuming we move Anderson. Bamba, Tillman, Santi?, and some JJJ at center.

As for the Boston deal I was kind of struggling with the compensation component. I think to get Tyus it will take an overpay but it has to be a reasonable overpay since Tyus may just be a rental for Boston. Boston is too bad for a 1st to make sense so was trying to see if a swap might be better. They need to right the ship and Tyus would help with a lot of what they need. Boston also is super low on 2nds. I think they have like 3-4 total available to be traded but maybe two 2nds would work for us depending on the 2nds? The pick swap protections can be increased a bit as well to help. I tried to leave it mildly vague on purpose, but would prefer the pick swap to be on our pick next season seeing as we already have so much draft capital in this draft. It also lets Boston have a clean slate at sending a lower pick to us and on their end maybe they feel Memphis will be swapping them a better pick next year as the West gets healthier. I'd be willing to go up some on the protections anyway. Top 16-18 protected? I feel like moving up 5 spots in the draft is very reasonable for Tyus, but moving up 10 not so much.

A future swap would be great too with Boston, I just don't see Tyus as the player Boston would target to fix their woes and pay this price. A couple 2nds sure or maybe as you alluded to having the swap more protected could be enough though.

Harris can swing up a little to guard 3's, short wingspan though. So if we moved Anderson in another trade then Harris might still be able to carve out 10-15 minutes at the 2-3 when we are fully healthy. But keeping Dragic would be fine or even better if he wants to play, which I don't really understand why he is not playing in Toronto, it not like it is a John Wall situation there.

I am all for an consolation deal, however we can only make the deals that become available. I would make a strong offer for Simmons, Turner, Towns, or even Wood. I want no part of Randle or CJ and I don't like the Sabonis likely price tag or defensive pairing with Ja. Grant I am more indifferent on, if the price is cheap enough I would do it but likely passing on him.

However as of right now FA looks to be the clearest path to adding talent and honestly with the way Bane is playing and the performance decline of Beal I don't think I would want to sign Beal to his next max even if we could open up the space for free. But maybe if we could flip Bane+ for a 4/3 upgrade then it is something we have to consider. I don't think any other of the top names make sense or would sign here.

I messed up on Cam....I really thought he was a RFA this coming year...I not sure if we can pay Miles Bridges enough to make Charlotte not match. Sexton as a super sixth man (doubt he wants that role), Warren maybe on a shorter or well protected contract. Brunson maybe as a sixth man target...even Schroeder if the agrees to a 3/32 would be ok. Bamba on a 4/50 would still be fine if that is the cost.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#163 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 9:15 pm

psman2 wrote:
Spoiler:
VCfor3 wrote:
psman2 wrote:

A future swap would be great too with Boston, I just don't see Tyus as the player Boston would target to fix their woes and pay this price. A couple 2nds sure or maybe as you alluded to having the swap more protected could be enough though.

Harris can swing up a little to guard 3's, short wingspan though. So if we moved Anderson in another trade then Harris might still be able to carve out 10-15 minutes at the 2-3 when we are fully healthy. But keeping Dragic would be fine or even better if he wants to play, which I don't really understand why he is not playing in Toronto, it not like it is a John Wall situation there.

I am all for an consolation deal, however we can only make the deals that become available. I would make a strong offer for Simmons, Turner, Towns, or even Wood. I want no part of Randle or CJ and I don't like the Sabonis likely price tag or defensive pairing with Ja. Grant I am more indifferent on, if the price is cheap enough I would do it but likely passing on him.

However as of right now FA looks to be the clearest path to adding talent and honestly with the way Bane is playing and the performance decline of Beal I don't think I would want to sign Beal to his next max even if we could open up the space for free. But maybe if we could flip Bane+ for a 4/3 upgrade then it is something we have to consider. I don't think any other of the top names make sense or would sign here.

I messed up on Cam....I really thought he was a RFA this coming year...I not sure if we can pay Miles Bridges enough to make Charlotte not match. Sexton as a super sixth man (doubt he wants that role), Warren maybe on a shorter or well protected contract. Brunson maybe as a sixth man target...even Schroeder if the agrees to a 3/32 would be ok. Bamba on a 4/50 would still be fine if that is the cost.

Agreed with the first two paragraphs.

As for a consolidation deal I agree you can only make the deals available. Of the potential targets:
-Brown/Tatum - IF IF IF Boston decides to break it up I would be all over this
-Ingram - Another target that is likely not available. I think they want to see more Zion with Ingram, but if they want to reset things a bit maybe he shakes loose.
-Grant - The GrizzlyBearBlues crew seems to be all in on Grant but like you I am indifferent. If he is cheap then sure, but he isn't someone I want to pay a lot to go get. His efficiency has been creeping down and he left a good Denver team for a bigger role. I don't know if he will be happy going back to a role player type role with us.
-Towns - I'm down to go after him but I don't think he will become available.
-Sabonis - I agree that I don't think he fits well enough with us to justify the price it would take to get him. If he ends up surprisingly cheap then sure take a look, but I think if Indy would pivot and move Levert and Turner for cheap and keep Sabonis if the offers aren't what they want.
-Turner - I like the idea of trying to get him if he is as cheap as some of us suspect.
-CJ - Pass. Too old and expensive and honestly I prefer Bane.
-Beal - I agree that his next contract is a potential death sentence to an organization. He looked better here super recently so I'll hold off on judging him for the moment.
-Wood - I would prefer to target others over Wood. Seems like he may bring some drama to a locker room that is all about each other
-Simmons - If the price is reasonable sure, but I doubt we can get him given what Philly wants in return
-Randle - He had one good year and has not been super great otherwise. I'd stay away from him
-Cam Reddish - Not really a consolidation target but I guess if we can take a cheap flyer on him I would be okay with it. He isn't my ideal target though.
-SGA - I don't see OKC moving him anytime soon but would send them a lot in order to get him. ALLL the picks ha

Yeah I don't see any great FA targets. I agree Bridges will be hard to get from Charlotte. I'd rather resign Tyus over Schroeder even if he is a little more expensive. Sexton wants to start somewhere so I doubt he is okay as a 6th man. Bamba seems the only decent target right now. I'd definitely give LaVine a call though I fully expect him to stay in Chicago. Would you try to throw a max deal at Ayton? We would have to pay to dump someone to increase space and I doubt he lives up to that contract
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#164 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jan 9, 2022 8:32 pm

I like Tyus Jones for Boston as a great backup who could be an ok starter we could live with if we traded Smart. I don't see you having the pieces to get Brown or Tatum. What's the status of Kyle Anderson? You'd want a 1st and no one wants to give one up for an expiring guy, so you keep him all season?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#165 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:22 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:I like Tyus Jones for Boston as a great backup who could be an ok starter we could live with if we traded Smart. I don't see you having the pieces to get Brown or Tatum. What's the status of Kyle Anderson? You'd want a 1st and no one wants to give one up for an expiring guy, so you keep him all season?

I actually think Memphis would have a competitive Brown/Tatum package if they were willing to part with Bane, multiple firsts, and some combination of prospects/other quality players, but until the Boston FO decides to break up the Jays it is totally irrelevant. It isn't a "blow you away" deal that you would consider unless you are actually ready to make a trade. Bane has some playmaking and is one of the best shooters in the league so would help with quite a few of your problems. If I was Boston though I would see if there was a better path to finding a true 1a/1b to Tatum before going for Bane who is maybe a #3 type guy.

As for Tyus I thought he would be a good target for you that wouldn't break the bank, but I don't know if he actually helps enough to be worth the deal unless, like you said, Smart was moved. Tyus has been big for Memphis so I doubt they move him unless it is an overpay since he really helps our chances of making and competing in the playoffs.

Anderson is likely pretty available but the FO has no pressure to move him. He has been a huge part of our bench and starts fairly frequently whenever another starter is out. He is a good player but one that we may not be able to retain this offseason. I think we would be looking for an expiring in return for him (we are set to have like $20m in cap space this offseason) and then add in some sort of draft compensation. A first would be great, but I don't see a team actually willing to offer a 1st for him. I don't know what the threshold is for our FO to move him, but maybe something like two 2nds (that aren't both super late) or a pick swap gets it done. For Boston, your pick is probably too high to do a pick swap with unless it is protected so I'd look at going the 2nds route if you were interested.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#166 » by Andrew McCeltic » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:42 am

Boston has a trade exception they could use to absorb KA, if you don't want an actual rotation player back. Takes Boston deeper into the tax, but if it were me I'd give up two 2nd-rounders in that case.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#167 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:26 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Boston has a trade exception they could use to absorb KA, if you don't want an actual rotation player back. Takes Boston deeper into the tax, but if it were me I'd give up two 2nd-rounders in that case.

Sounds like a pretty easy yes for Memphis. We can then maybe take a salary dump into the TPE. I think Boston is the hard sell. I feel like you guys are going to be pretty focused on getting out of the tax if you are able.
psman2
General Manager

Post#168 » by psman2 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:11 am

VCfor3 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:Boston has a trade exception they could use to absorb KA, if you don't want an actual rotation player back. Takes Boston deeper into the tax, but if it were me I'd give up two 2nd-rounders in that case.

Sounds like a pretty easy yes for Memphis. We can then maybe take a salary dump into the TPE. I think Boston is the hard sell. I feel like you guys are going to be pretty focused on getting out of the tax if you are able.

With Brooks out the odds of us taking 2nds for Anderson are really low now if we would have considered it to start. So unless we are getting a 1st or swap, or part of bigger deal, odds are Anderson stays through the deadline.
psman2
General Manager

Post#169 » by psman2 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:30 am

VCfor3 wrote:
psman2 wrote:
Spoiler:
VCfor3 wrote:Harris has played well this year but barring an injury I'm not sure how much run he'd get for us seeing as our SG rotation is pretty full, not that it matters much since he is an expiring and Bamba is the prize. I think Bamba will want a deal similar to WCJ so it may be close to 4/50 to retain him. I do like the idea of Cam as a target though.

As for a consolidation deal I agree you can only make the deals available. Of the potential targets:
-Ingram - Another target that is likely not available. I think they want to see more Zion with Ingram, but if they want to reset things a bit maybe he shakes loose.
-Grant - The GrizzlyBearBlues crew seems to be all in on Grant but like you I am indifferent. If he is cheap then sure, but he isn't someone I want to pay a lot to go get. His efficiency has been creeping down and he left a good Denver team for a bigger role. I don't know if he will be happy going back to a role player type role with us.
-Sabonis - I agree that I don't think he fits well enough with us to justify the price it would take to get him. If he ends up surprisingly cheap then sure take a look, but I think if Indy would pivot and move Levert and Turner for cheap and keep Sabonis if the offers aren't what they want.
-Turner - I like the idea of trying to get him if he is as cheap as some of us suspect.
-Beal - I agree that his next contract is a potential death sentence to an organization. He looked better here super recently so I'll hold off on judging him for the moment.
-Wood - I would prefer to target others over Wood. Seems like he may bring some drama to a locker room that is all about each other
-Simmons - If the price is reasonable sure, but I doubt we can get him given what Philly wants in return
-Randle - He had one good year and has not been super great otherwise. I'd stay away from him
-Cam Reddish - Not really a consolidation target but I guess if we can take a cheap flyer on him I would be okay with it. He isn't my ideal target though.
-SGA - I don't see OKC moving him anytime soon but would send them a lot in order to get him. ALLL the picks ha

Yeah I don't see any great FA targets. I agree Bridges will be hard to get from Charlotte. I'd rather resign Tyus over Schroeder even if he is a little more expensive. Sexton wants to start somewhere so I doubt he is okay as a 6th man. Bamba seems the only decent target right now. I'd definitely give LaVine a call though I fully expect him to stay in Chicago. Would you try to throw a max deal at Ayton? We would have to pay to dump someone to increase space and I doubt he lives up to that contract

I don’t really understand the appeal of Ayton on a max. His D is good, not great and I don’t think he has a lot of growth in his offensive game to see him as a easy max guy. I guess we would consider it, but that is more to do with the lack of good FA targets than Ayton’s value. I really rather stretch the floor out for Ja, that’s why i like Bamba and even Woods as a target. But if we could get off Adams cheap enough I guess I could see us offering him a max and maybe bribe Phoenix with a LP #1. However I think Phoenix is going to be forced to match and keep him even if they don’t love him at that number. They are too close to winning to penny pinch, but they do have a notoriously cheap owner so there is a chance.

Maybe if Ja ran the PNR with more frequency and efficiently I would like Ayton more as a target. He has never had a PNR center as good as Ayton before so maybe that could open up Ja’s game some more.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#170 » by VCfor3 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:58 pm

psman2 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
psman2 wrote:
Spoiler:

I don’t really understand the appeal of Ayton on a max. His D is good, not great and I don’t think he has a lot of growth in his offensive game to see him as a easy max guy. I guess we would consider it, but that is more to do with the lack of good FA targets than Ayton’s value. I really rather stretch the floor out for Ja, that’s why i like Bamba and even Woods as a target. But if we could get off Adams cheap enough I guess I could see us offering him a max and maybe bribe Phoenix with a LP #1. However I think Phoenix is going to be forced to match and keep him even if they don’t love him at that number. They are too close to winning to penny pinch, but they do have a notoriously cheap owner so there is a chance.

Maybe if Ja ran the PNR with more frequency and efficiently I would like Ayton more as a target. He has never had a PNR center as good as Ayton before so maybe that could open up Ja’s game some more.

Low key expect that if we got Ayton we would eventually use his salary in a deal for a better fitting piece (ideally a wing) down the road. Like if Boston decided to break up Tatum and Brown, we could do something like Brooks+Ayton+multiple 1sts (depending on what is left on their contract). I think Ayton gets a bit better simply because he is young, but agree that his ceiling is likely not a lot more than what he has already shown. Not my favorite FA target but one of the few high end young guys that may be attainable. Would be okay if we end up just resigning our guys to team friendly deals if nothing better materializes.
psman2
General Manager

Post#171 » by psman2 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:01 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
psman2 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Agreed with the first two paragraphs.

Low key expect that if we got Ayton we would eventually use his salary in a deal for a better fitting piece (ideally a wing) down the road. Like if Boston decided to break up Tatum and Brown, we could do something like Brooks+Ayton+multiple 1sts (depending on what is left on their contract). I think Ayton gets a bit better simply because he is young, but agree that his ceiling is likely not a lot more than what he has already shown. Not my favorite FA target but one of the few high end young guys that may be attainable. Would be okay if we end up just resigning our guys to team friendly deals if nothing better materializes.

I just don't see Phoenix letting him go unless someone presented them with a huge return on a SNT which is something I am against doing.

If Warren comes back and looks close to what he did in the Bubble would you be interested in him? I think we really need a bucket getter on the 2nd team. Healthy is obviously a concern so the contract would have to reflect that. Anderson would have to be let go, but with Clarke looking like part of the future again I am ready to move Anderson for assets now or a better fitting FA in the offseason.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#172 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:34 am

psman2 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
psman2 wrote:

I just don't see Phoenix letting him go unless someone presented them with a huge return on a SNT which is something I am against doing.

If Warren comes back and looks close to what he did in the Bubble would you be interested in him? I think we really need a bucket getter on the 2nd team. Healthy is obviously a concern so the contract would have to reflect that. Anderson would have to be let go, but with Clarke looking like part of the future again I am ready to move Anderson for assets now or a better fitting FA in the offseason.

I'm fine getting him in FA. There aren't really better options and if he can stay healthy is a really good player. Problem is how unhealthy he has been of late. If the contract is cheap enough to account for that fact I'm game. Him and Tyus on team friendly deals that decline would be an acceptable FA for me given what is likely available.

As for moving Anderson now, I'd be open to it if we can get back a decent asset. I love how Anderson is fairly good at so many aspects of the game, but him not being a reliable 3pt shooter really hurts at times. Ideally only one (or none) of the players on the court at any given time lack some sort of gravity, but we put out a lineup at one point yesterday of Ja, Konchar, Ziare, Anderson, and Adams which is very little spacing. They had Ja locked down tight via Ayo and occasional help plus packing the paint. We were relying on Ziaire to generate all our offense for a stretch since we couldn't get Ja the ball and no one could draw defenders away by being a shooting threat. In general we are one of the worst shooting teams in the league from 3. Finding a way to replace Anderson with a good player who can also shoot makes sense.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#173 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:48 am

psman2 wrote:

Your boy Bamba went off on offense tonight. Embiid went off against him but that is because Embiid does that to everyone ha
psman2
General Manager

Post#174 » by psman2 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:05 am

VCfor3 wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Your boy Bamba went off on offense tonight. Embiid went off against him but that is because Embiid does that to everyone ha

Yep. I think we would miss Adams big body in some matchups but I think as both JJJ/Bamba grow into their big boy pants they should be able to hold down the fort and stretch the floor for Ja. I am really likely my Adams/LAL1st for Bamba/Harris trade right now. Maybe be able to do if for the cheaper Mem or Utah pick if Toronto or Char is interested in Adams. Follow that up with a Warren or best sixth man iso guy we can get in FA and still have money to bring back one of Jones or Anderson.

I think if we are not going to give Melton consistent playing time it might be time to move on from him while he still has trade value. He just cannot find his shot when his minutes are inconsistent.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#175 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:33 pm

Mo just got hot from three, that's the least impressive thing a young player can do offensively.
psman2
General Manager

Post#176 » by psman2 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:29 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Mo just got hot from three, that's the least impressive thing a young player can do offensively.

Not sure about that statement, but I think there is still a good amount of growth in Bamba's game. He has never been supported by his team and never played with good distributors. I think getting him for the equilvant of a very late 1st (paying some to get off Adams) and bringing him in to be a 25+ player on a contract just north of the MLE is a risk worth taking. Having 48 minutes of open lanes for Ja, Bane, and Brooks to drive in is my goal here. IF his talent was fully flushed out then we wouldn't have a shot to get him at these prices, sometimes you have to take a calculated risk, and I think Bamba is a good target for Memphis given the current options this offseason.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#177 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:47 pm

Isn’t Adams a big part of what MEM is doing? Especially since JJJ doesn’t rebound much..

Bamba is plenty interesting, I just meant those points aren’t meaningful - a hot night hitting open threes is different from scoring on a variety of moves.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#178 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:00 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Isn’t Adams a big part of what MEM is doing? Especially since JJJ doesn’t rebound much..

Bamba is plenty interesting, I just meant those points aren’t meaningful - a hot night hitting open threes is different from scoring on a variety of moves.

Adams is right now though I think long term we either let him walk in FA or bring him back for cheap as a backup center depending on the roster.

As for Bamba, a young 3&D center with decent rebounding for relative cheap is really all we are hoping for. If there were truly better options in FA we would gladly pivot to that, but if there aren't then a quality young center on a good contract isn't a bad option. Would either let us use Adams as salary filler with a replacement on the roster or Bamba could be good matching salary down the road in the event we do keep Adams. After this year I don't forsee us being a cap space team again for a while. Having matching salary in a deal that isn't a big negative will be important down the road if we want to make upgrades via trade. Resigning Anderson and Tyus are also options, but it depends on their price. There is a real chance they price us out.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#179 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:17 pm

Idk, I love Adams. You all want to trade him for Horford?

Bamba’s going to have a market, but.. Okafor and Noel put up more consistent numbers, on awful teams with much less talent.. Per 36 double double is good, but he hasn’t figured out the rest of the game. with a three ball and that wingspan - he’s probably going to stick around at least as a backup for a few years. It’s a good bet for Memphis and it fits with your cap sheet.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#180 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:48 pm

Horford is good but I doubt we do a Horford/Adams swap. Adams has been great for us so far and no need to rock the boat without reason. Adams is also a lot cheaper. I know Horford's guarantee is a lot less, but that only matters if he is getting waived which I don't expect. It would take an incentive that likely doesn't make sense for Boston in order for that deal to make sense for Memphis.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies