The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Bol 

Post#21 » by The Rebel » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:03 am

THE J0KER wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:
THE J0KER wrote: Bol Bol's value during Orlando-bubble was close to lottery pick or proven veteran.

That's wishful thinking, his value was nowhere near that or he would've been traded for a "proven veteran" long time ago.

All 7 games that season he played was from a bubble after Millsap injury where everyone sees that he is actually healthy and despite very limited minutes from Malone his per-36 stats was close to 20-10-3 with about 45% from 3pt. There are big "next Porzingins" expectations from him around the league and he was put as TOP10 by bookmakers for next season ROY award (bubble was not officially counted) and with Grant didn't resign and Millsap looking washed people expected to see him as a new forward starter (with MPJ) or at least backup with 25+ mpg. But Malone has zero plans with him, so between the 2020 draft and the start of the 2020-21 season he should be traded. His value at the time was what I said.

Do you remember the Beasley case who finished the 2018-19 season with almost 50-40-90 perfect percentages, there are big expectations from him, but Malone of course gives an advantage to his favorite Barton and killed fastly trade value of Beasley during 1st half of the upcoming season on his contract year. It is legit if the coach has his own plans, but FO should not wait for that player with rising expectations around the league losing it all. There is a Juancho example after the FIBA world cup where he was part of Spain BIG3 who won the tournament, Malone didn't use him when next season started so we traded him for nothing. Mudiay was #7 pick which finished the rookie season with promising numbers, in his case Malone correctly gives an advantage to better and more talented Murray so he should be traded during his sophomore season, or the very next postseason when his trade value was still decent, not waiting to disappear. Faried and Nurkic are maybe the most extreme cases where we are from at some point notable players making them as a negative value and losing 1st round pick to get rid of them.

There is a long history of miscommunications between Malone's long-term plans with young players and FO's too-late decisions to try to fix it.

Bol fell in the draft because of attitude/entitlement issues and worries from front offices that he was unwilling to put in the work. Those bubble games where Bol went off were scrimmages, they weren't real games, maybe a team loved him and would have gave up a late 1st but that wasn't enough for most. I doubt he was ever worth a lotto pick, we signed him that next offseason for a little over $2 million per year for 2 years, and if I remember a lot of people liked the deal. I still say they should have traded him as soon as he showed up with an attitude at training camp, but nobody would have traded him sooner. Why draft and re-sign him if you didn't like his potential and think he was showing signs? The issue with Bol started his 2nd training camp when he showed up with attitude. It got worse as he had an attitude and showed little/no interest early in the season. He lost all value immediately, because he got a check and suddenly showed why nobody else drafted him. It was all over the place that we were trying to trade Bol last year weeks before the deadline, nobody would give us anything worthwhile.

There are some huge differences between Bol and Beasley. Beasley showed his scoring ability in real games, he was great the season before we traded him. FAct is Malone was never going to make him a starter, and today he comes off the bench due to his lack of defensive effort, and we all knew it. Once it became obvious they were not going to re-sign him he should have been traded because he had just proved he could be a difference maker for about half a season of real games. He lost real value over the span of the next season.

Like Beasley the other trades are on the front office. If the coach does not think a guy will help him win than they should be traded immediately. You either want the coach to win games or you want him to showcase players for trade, you can't have him doing both. Once the decision is made the trade should be done as realistically as soon as possible, but since the Melo deal our team ownership seems to drag deals out as long as possible.
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#22 » by DaFan334 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:08 am

The enigma that is Bol is gone! He might be good, but he's probably not. We got out of paying for him for 2 more years to give questionable effort. His player's option was definitely something we wanted out of and we got out of and got value back. Cousins potentially coming in is a big win. We finally may have an answer to Joker off the floor. I assume after evaluating McGruder and probably cutting him, Cousins will sign for the rest of the season.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Post#23 » by Richard Miller » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:39 am

THE J0KER wrote: and with Grant didn't resign and Millsap looking washed people expected to see him as a new forward starter (with MPJ) or at least backup with 25+ mpg. But Malone has zero plans with him, so between the 2020 draft and the start of the 2020-21 season he should be traded. His value at the time was what I said.

Do you remember the Beasley case who finished the 2018-19 season with almost 50-40-90 perfect percentages, there are big expectations from him, but Malone of course gives an advantage to his favorite Barton and killed fastly trade value of Beasley during 1st half of the upcoming season on his contract year. It is legit if the coach has his own plans, but FO should not wait for that player with rising expectations around the league losing it all. There is a Juancho example after the FIBA world cup where he was part of Spain BIG3 who won the tournament, Malone didn't use him when next season started so we traded him for nothing.

Nobody expected Bol plays 25+ mpg, let alone starter minutes, come on. Beasley fetching a 1st is ok value for a backup that he is - he played starter minutes for the Wolves and the results were kinda meh, this season he's not even starting anymore if I'm not mistaken. Juancho sucked last few years and now he's barely getting garbage time minutes in Boston.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#24 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:11 am

Honestly, if the Nuggets just decided to waive Bol, what would they be missing out on ?? a late 2nd ?? the remaining $1M paycheck ?? another undersized wing ? Just coming to the realization that Bol playing ANY consistent mins is a pipedream.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#25 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:54 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Honestly, if the Nuggets just decided to waive Bol, what would they be missing out on ?? a late 2nd ?? the remaining $1M paycheck ?? another undersized wing ? Just coming to the realization that Bol playing ANY consistent mins is a pipedream.
It's probably the move now

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#26 » by DaFan334 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:47 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Honestly, if the Nuggets just decided to waive Bol, what would they be missing out on ?? a late 2nd ?? the remaining $1M paycheck ?? another undersized wing ? Just coming to the realization that Bol playing ANY consistent mins is a pipedream.
It's probably the move now

Yeah, Vic Lambardi was hinting hard that the Bol situation was holding up Boogie being signed. If that is the case, we might as well release him now. He's probably not tradable and Boogie would definitely be a bigger contributor to the team.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#27 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:36 am

Bol undergoing foot surgery, out 8-12 weeks.....didn't see that one coming but par for the course. Maybe we'll get to sign Cousins on another hardship contract.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#28 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:24 pm

Do the Celtics plan on keeping him?
Will they resign him if he doesn't play this season?

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#29 » by The Rebel » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:49 am

DoItALL9 wrote:Do the Celtics plan on keeping him?
Will they resign him if he doesn't play this season?

You will have to ask Celtic fans what they think, to me the deal looks like a straight salary dump for the Celtics, and I have seen some speculation that they will try to trade one of Bol or Dozier to get completely under the tax.

If anybody gives him a deal next year it will be a minimum deal or a 2 way deal again, between this injury and his attitude in Denver I doubt he will get much interest.

Return to Denver Nuggets