ImageImageImageImage

Anyone else can't wait for Fultz to bench Cole Anthony?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

fateis007
Rookie
And1: 813

Anyone else can't wait for Fultz to bench Cole Anthony? 

Post#1 » by fateis007 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:43 am

This dude i the biggest chucker we have had in years and it's getting old already. Like congrats, you are a 20PPG scorer with low efficiency and dont bother getting your team involved.

Please come back Fultz and show this guy how to get others involved, and put this man on the bench where he belongs.
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,799

Re: Anyone else can't wait for Fultz to bench Cole Anthony? 

Post#2 » by IllMagic04 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:26 am

Im pretty sure the plan is to start him with Cole. But yes Im def looking foward to seeing Fultz back.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Post#3 » by Statlanta » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:06 am

Cole is actually growing with confidence even with the brick he's been laying. I'm apathetic that we have to restart Fultz development on this team all over again.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#4 » by PrimeThyme » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:12 am

Fultz is on the other end of the spectrum though. Hesitant shooter/scorer who when you look at the advanced numbers really doesn't make an impact on either side of the court.

I'm not expecting any of those aspects of his game to be improved after coming off of another major injury.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#5 » by basketballRob » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:18 am

The team was much better when Fultz was on the floor before his injury. I'd imagine it won't take him long to beat out Cole for the starting PG

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#6 » by Horcy » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:27 am

basketballRob wrote:The team was much better when Fultz was on the floor before his injury. I'd imagine it won't take him long to beat out Cole for the starting PG

Even I prefer Fultz's style to run a team the comparison is senseless. The teams were drastically different. Fultz was running a team with Vucevic (an all star), Gordon, Fournier...full of no great but at least proven veterans. Anthony is running one of the worst teams in magic histoy.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#7 » by Max Power » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:13 am

It’s nice to see people realizing Cole Anthony’s flaws in here now. Now don’t take that statement to mean I don’t like Anthony. I think the guy is perfect to be what T-Ross has been here the last few years, a designated scorer from the bench. In my eyes, the Allen Iverson super scorer approach only worked once, with Allen freaking Iverson. Players like that aren’t usually the key piece to winning teams. I do like that Anthony does a lot of good things as far as rebounding, and he plays with an inferno in his gut.

With all that being said, when the time comes, Markelle Fultz needs to be the starting point guard for the team. When he was healthy with us during the Vuc era, Markelle was really playing well. For the betterment of the entirety of the young roster, we need a player who’s naturally inclined to make the right basketball play, and not worry about their digits, and that player is Fultz. I’d rather see his instincts lead to better play from the rest of the guys on the floor. I can’t wait for Fultz and Franz to start making plays. Assuming he’s healthy and hopefully got an improved jumper, I truly think Markelle can be an 18 and 9 guy or better for the team.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#8 » by Skin » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:36 am

fateis007 wrote:This dude i the biggest chucker we have had in years and it's getting old already. Like congrats, you are a 20PPG scorer with low efficiency and dont bother getting your team involved.

Please come back Fultz and show this guy how to get others involved, and put this man on the bench where he belongs.

Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#9 » by pepe1991 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:30 am

We won't bench him tho, we don't have coach with autorithy to sit 20 ppg player, even if it's Monta Ellise less talented clone.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#10 » by basketballRob » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:14 am

Horcy wrote:
basketballRob wrote:The team was much better when Fultz was on the floor before his injury. I'd imagine it won't take him long to beat out Cole for the starting PG

Even I prefer Fultz's style to run a team the comparison is senseless. The teams were drastically different. Fultz was running a team with Vucevic (an all star), Gordon, Fournier...full of no great but at least proven veterans. Anthony is running one of the worst teams in magic histoy.
Fultz can run a team much better. It doesn't matter which team it is. We'll look way better with him as PG over Cole.

pepe1991
RealGM

Post#11 » by pepe1991 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:25 am

basketballRob wrote:
Horcy wrote:

Fultz can run a team much better. It doesn't matter which team it is. We'll look way better with him as PG over Cole.

What sucessful teams Fultz runned?
42-40 Magic where he was 5th most important starter?

Or mediocre college team 6 years ago?

Or running 76ers fans mad counts as running sucessful offense?

Fact that fanbase is expecting from 10 points, 49% TS point guard to save their franchase says a lot. We are not getting Ja Morant back, we are getting Eric Bledso-lite back.

I'm not big fan of Cole at all, but Cole is running offense with bunch of non nba bodies, fringe nba rotation players while Fultz actually had nice team to play with. Gordon, Vuc, Evan, Ross, isaac, Ennis, MCW, Augustin... far cry from Mo Bamba , g league players, Okeke and RJ Hampton.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#12 » by basketballRob » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:37 am

pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Horcy wrote:

Fact that fanbase is expecting from 10 points, 49% TS point guard to save their franchase says a lot. We are not getting Ja Morant back, we are getting Eric Bledso-lite back.

I'm not big fan of Cole at all, but Cole is running offense with bunch of non nba bodies, fringe nba rotation players while Fultz actually had nice team to play with. Gordon, Vuc, Evan, Ross, isaac, Ennis, MCW, Augustin... far cry from Mo Bamba , g league players, Okeke and RJ Hampton.
The team was better when he was running as opposed to not. I'm not saying he's been Chris Paul. He is a way better passer than anyone on this team.

Fultz will probably start out on the bench until he beats out Cole.

pepe1991
RealGM

Post#13 » by pepe1991 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:10 am

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Fultz can run a team much better. It doesn't matter which team it is. We'll look way better with him as PG over Cole.

The team was better when he was running as opposed to not. I'm not saying he's been Chris Paul. He is a way better passer than anyone on this team.

Fultz will probably start out on the bench until he beats out Cole.

Fultz will start off bench because he will probably be on 15-20 min restriction.
I'm very curious about situation when Cole, Fultz and Suggs are all back. Who ends up riding bench and how that guy handles it.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#14 » by drsd » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:29 pm

Long term, Fultz is a pick and roll PG. That is a better fit with F-Wagner. But what really matters in this Anthony vs. Fultz conversation is "who is the SG"?

The answer to that question is probably not Harris. If it is Suggs, then, this question of Anthony vs. Fultz is even more complicated.

I see 4 potential starting fives to open next year:

1) Anthony/Suggs/F-Wagner/Isaac/Carter
2) Fultz/Suggs/F-Wagner/Carter/some-Center
3) Fultz/Anthony/Suggs/F-Wagner/Carter
4) Suggs/some-SG/F-Wagner/Isaac/Carter

((It is certain for me that Suggs, F-Wagner and Carter will be starters opening night of 2022/23))

There is a lot for Management to decide this off-season.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#15 » by drsd » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:35 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Fultz will start off bench because he will probably be on 15-20 min restriction.
I'm very curious about situation when Cole, Fultz and Suggs are all back. Who ends up riding bench and how that guy handles it.

To agree with Mr. Pepe and add a thought: Anthony has exceeded expectations. It does not make sense to bench him for a Fultz that is going to be very rusty.

basketballRob
RealGM

Post#16 » by basketballRob » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:38 pm

drsd wrote:Long term, Fultz is a pick and roll PG. That is a better fit with F-Wagner. But what really matters in this Anthony vs. Fultz conversation is "who is the SG"?

The answer to that question is probably not Harris. If it is Suggs, then, this question of Anthony vs. Fultz is even more complicated.

I see 4 potential starting fives to open next year:

1) Anthony/Suggs/F-Wagner/Isaac/Carter
2) Fultz/Suggs/F-Wagner/Carter/some-Center
3) Fultz/Anthony/Suggs/F-Wagner/Carter
4) Suggs/some-SG/F-Wagner/Isaac/Carter

((It is certain for me that Suggs, F-Wagner and Carter will be starters opening night of 2022/23))

There is a lot for Management to decide this off-season.

I think it be Fultz/Suggs/Wagner/Isaac/WCJ.

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#17 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:42 pm

Fultz needs to prove that he can stay healthy before any of that happens.
aka: prorl
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#18 » by Def Swami » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:43 pm

The depth will help. I'm don't think there will be any real tangible difference in the outcome of these games.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#19 » by PrimeThyme » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:36 pm

Cole is a better player than Fultz. The romanticization of Fultz since his injury has been really interesting to watch. Wanting him to come back to supplant Frazier as a depth piece is one thing, but acting like he's a savior for this franchise is another. He's not a starting point guard, unless he's made an unexpected jump during his 12+ month rehab from a major knee injury.

Hate on Cole all you want, I certainly have since we drafted him, but he's putting up legitimate starting guard stats this year. From a box score and advanced stat perspective. He's top 15 among guards in years 1-4 from a Raptor ranking perspective.

In year two he has a positive BPM and Vorp. He's been a top 5 player from a good draft class. I'm way more encouraged with his future prospects than I am with Fultz's.
fateis007
Rookie
And1: 813

Post#20 » by fateis007 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:06 pm

The eye test shows me a chucker that is stat padding. I don't care what advanced stats say, but I do know if I had to choose right now, on who i want to develop. I would rather the ball be in other prospects hands. Fultz is still very young, and much bigger then Cole. He has a simple game, with a lot of pick and pops, post ups, and bully ball. Suggs has dissapointed, but he has also been set aside and played second fiddle to him (playing out of position as a rookie). I am sure I am not the only one excited about our future watching Franz run the offense and high pick and rolls with Carter, during Cole's absense.

I think Cole needs to hit the weight room, seems like he tries to play bully ball, but he is quite thin and small. If he puts on 20 lb's, maybe his style of play would transend. No way he is more then 180 soaking wet right now.

He is not a leading guard on a playoff team type of talent yet imo, I am just not seeing it. Dude has the ultimate green light, and any playoff coach is getting the ball out of his hands so much. He is one bad game away from being a 39% shooting lead guard.

I don't care if you put more talent around him. He literally plays exactly like most high volume spark plugs off the bench, but not as skilled yet or efficient.

Return to Orlando Magic