ImageImageImage

Marquese Chriss

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Marquese Chriss 

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:44 pm

What do you all think of Marquese Chriss? Should the Mavs keep him? If so, then who should they move on from and how?
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Re: Marquese Chriss 

Post#2 » by fuller4379 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:53 pm

Read on Twitter
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,398

Post#3 » by gottamakeit » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:02 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:What do you all think of Marquese Chriss? Should the Mavs keep him? If so, then who should they move on from and how?

I think we should let him go.
He has no synergy with the guys when we're playing organized bball. He's too foreign to our system.
And while he plays okay'ish when we're in a pickle, i'd rather not cut a guys to create a roster spot for him.
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,424

Post#4 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:38 pm

Unpopular opinion, I'd take last year WCS over Chiss anyday and twice on Sunday, Im not sue what's wrong with him this year
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,040

Post#5 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:53 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#6 » by fuller4379 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:26 pm

I prefer Chriss to keeping WCS because Chriss actually shows up to the games. I don't know what WCS's issue is, but he seems to always have one.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#7 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:19 pm

fuller4379 wrote:I prefer Chriss to keeping WCS because Chriss actually shows up to the games. I don't know what WCS's issue is, but he seems to always have one.

I think WCS' personal issues have to do with his family. I think I read something about his mom being sick last year and I believe he became a father last year as well.

I like WCS, but the Mavs already have Powell, Kleber, KP, Moses Brown, and Boban. If the Mavs can trade WCS and other pieces/contracts for a wing, then I'd do it and sign Chriss for the rest of the season so he can become more familiar with the system. The synergy will come if he's given the opportunity to gel with the rest of the roster.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#8 » by LAL1947 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:01 pm

I think the Mavs absolutely have to keep Marquese Chriss for the remainder of the season. He is young, mobile, has played better than Bobi, and plays harder than WCS (who seems quite soft). Chriss needs to continue playing hard on both ends, continually improve his game, and take advantage of this opportunity. There aren't many better opportunities than to be a Center receiving passes from Luka.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#9 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:28 pm

LAL1947 wrote:I think the Mavs absolutely have to keep Marquese Chriss for the remainder of the season. He is young, mobile, has played better than Bobi, and plays harder than WCS (who seems quite soft). Chriss needs to continue playing hard on both ends, continually improve his game, and take advantage of this opportunity. There aren't many better opportunities than to be a Center receiving passes from Luka.

Even Cuban understood that. I know it's incredible :lol:
Mr B
RealGM

Post#10 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:52 pm

So I’m reading that they can keep Chriss for the remainder of his 10 day contract but he has to be inactive. If they are truly trying to use WCS’s contract in a trade I could see that happening before finally releasing WCS and signing Chriss for the remainder of the season.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#11 » by Pinkyring » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:48 pm

He needs to not only be kept but locked up a few yrs, worst case he's a great 3rd big for the minimum
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,828

Post#12 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:32 pm

Pinkyring wrote:He needs to not only be kept but locked up a few yrs, worst case he's a great 3rd big for the minimum

Agree. Sign him for 3/4 years with a low cost contract is a easy smart move. He is young and talented.
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,396

Post#13 » by Forbes » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:07 pm

Yes I see no reason to keep WCS. He basically doesn’t do anything good. Chriss atleast can put up couple points up and can be useful as he seem a little more athletic
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#14 » by Warriors Analyst » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:27 pm

Have the Mavs used Chriss at all in DHO or high post sets? From what I’ve seen in the last few years from Dallas, I understand that the offense is very Luka centric and that big men are typically used as screen setters and rim runners. I don’t get the sense that the Mavs bigs get many chances to play make, which is a shame because Chriss is an excellent passer for his position.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,250

Post#15 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:02 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:Have the Mavs used Chriss at all in DHO or high post sets? From what I’ve seen in the last few years from Dallas, I understand that the offense is very Luka centric and that big men are typically used as screen setters and rim runners. I don’t get the sense that the Mavs bigs get many chances to play make, which is a shame because Chriss is an excellent passer for his position.

Nope. He has not played a lot with Doncic because of injuries. He is basically a backup that sets screens, plays some defense, and score when he is in the right position. He is in no position to have the ball in his hands considering his role this far. The Mavs is also based a lot on Doncic and Brunson creating from the wing. When Chriss has been playing it has been with Brunson.
I assumed he was like 28/29 since nobody had picked him up. What happened to him in Golden State?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,424

Post#16 » by Mavrelous » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:20 am

Looks like he'll come handy tomorrow with Kleber's injury yesterday.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:43 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:Have the Mavs used Chriss at all in DHO or high post sets? From what I’ve seen in the last few years from Dallas, I understand that the offense is very Luka centric and that big men are typically used as screen setters and rim runners. I don’t get the sense that the Mavs bigs get many chances to play make, which is a shame because Chriss is an excellent passer for his position.

Nope. He has not played a lot with Doncic because of injuries. He is basically a backup that sets screens, plays some defense, and score when he is in the right position. He is in no position to have the ball in his hands considering his role this far. The Mavs is also based a lot on Doncic and Brunson creating from the wing. When Chriss has been playing it has been with Brunson.
I assumed he was like 28/29 since nobody had picked him up. What happened to him in Golden State?

That’s a damn shame. Chriss is one of the better passing C’s in the league. That’s no exaggeration. He’s quite smart at making passes off of dribble hand offs and he was such a good passer from the elbow that he would lead cutters into his passes. Chriss was legitimately the best passing big we had had since prime Bogut and his development was the only real bright spot in the 2019-20 season.

This highlight reel has some of the nice passes:

So what happened to him?

He came to the Warriors at age 22 as a training camp body and wow’d the coaching staff with his passing and athleticism and had his career changed overnight by playing up the 5 where his BBIQ and athleticism were considerably more useful than they were at the 4. He grew a lot with us and went through some contract BS to stick around and then Warriors drafted Wiseman and after a solid training camp where Chriss was bombing threes at a high rate, he broke his leg at practice two games into the season and so we traded him at the deadline for tax purposes.

And now, this Warriors’ team desperately needs a center because Wiseman is unlikely to play before the ASB and because Draymond has a nerve issue that’s messing with his calf. But the Warriors, and Joe Lacob in particular, had no interest in putting up and boundaries to Wiseman’s playing time and that’s how you end up with a roster where you have only two healthy centers, neither of whom you want playing more than 25 minutes a game max, and otherwise run oversized wings at the 5.

I understand that in retrospect if we'd signed Chriss to a camp deal we wouldn't have Gary Payton II and that would be a huge loss. But not signing Chriss on a hardship deal as it became clear Wiseman would miss more time was ridiculous. Wiseman had a second surgery in December. We signed our first hardship deal some time before Christmas. It's been known for over a month that Wiseman was unlikely to return prior to the All-Star break. And now Draymond's body has worn down, Looney is about to play lots more minutes and he's already injury prone, and we're going to have to ask lots of minutes of Otto Porter Jr. and Kuminga and Juan Toscano-Anderson at the 4/5. Signing Chriss would have been a slam dunk for a team like ours that needs a vertical threat. Chriss already knows the system and he was one of the better passing C's we'd ever had. He just had the misfortune of getting injured at the wrong time and playing the same position as Joe Lacob's #1 boy in James Wiseman.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,250

Post#18 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:13 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:

That’s a damn shame. Chriss is one of the better passing C’s in the league. That’s no exaggeration. He’s quite smart at making passes off of dribble hand offs and he was such a good passer from the elbow that he would lead cutters into his passes. Chriss was legitimately the best passing big we had had since prime Bogut and his development was the only real bright spot in the 2019-20 season.

So what happened to him?

He came to the Warriors at age 22 as a training camp body and wow’d the coaching staff with his passing and athleticism and had his career changed overnight by playing up the 5 where his BBIQ and athleticism were considerably more useful than they were at the 4. He grew a lot with us and went through some contract BS to stick around and then Warriors drafted Wiseman and after a solid training camp where Chriss was bombing threes at a high rate, he broke his leg at practice two games into the season and so we traded him at the deadline for tax purposes.

And now, this Warriors’ team desperately needs a center because Wiseman is unlikely to play before the ASB and because Draymond has a nerve issue that’s messing with his calf. But the Warriors, and Joe Lacob in particular, had no interest in putting up and boundaries to Wiseman’s playing time and that’s how you end up with a roster where you have only two healthy centers, neither of whom you want playing more than 25 minutes a game max, and otherwise run oversized wings at the 5.

I understand that in retrospect if we'd signed Chriss to a camp deal we wouldn't have Gary Payton II and that would be a huge loss. But not signing Chriss on a hardship deal as it became clear Wiseman would miss more time was ridiculous. Wiseman had a second surgery in December. We signed our first hardship deal some time before Christmas. It's been known for over a month that Wiseman was unlikely to return prior to the All-Star break. And now Draymond's body has worn down, Looney is about to play lots more minutes and he's already injury prone, and we're going to have to ask lots of minutes of Otto Porter Jr. and Kuminga and Juan Toscano-Anderson at the 4/5. Signing Chriss would have been a slam dunk for a team like ours that needs a vertical threat. Chriss already knows the system and he was one of the better passing C's we'd ever had. He just had the misfortune of getting injured at the wrong time and playing the same position as Joe Lacob's #1 boy in James Wiseman.

Thanks for the reply. He has been playing very well. He is basically putting up the same numbers as Powell, just that he is playing half the minutes. Just weird how he has bounced around so much so early in his career. The pickup by the Mavs also looked a bit random and it looked like he was the only guy left after everybody had been signed.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:30 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:

So what happened to him?

Thanks for the reply. He has been playing very well. He is basically putting up the same numbers as Powell, just that he is playing half the minutes. Just weird how he has bounced around so much so early in his career. The pickup by the Mavs also looked a bit random and it looked like he was the only guy left after everybody had been signed.

Chriss has said that his temper was an issue in the past. But the thing he said that really turned his career around in Golden State was playing at the 5 rather than the 4. Prior to his Warriors' stint, he'd been used almost exclusively at the 4 where his ball-handling and shooting really didn't stack up compared the oversized wings that comprise the majority of the 4's in the modern NBA.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#20 » by Mr B » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:51 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:

So what happened to him?

Part of the problem Chriss has had is he can’t stay out of foul trouble. If he was able to stay on the court for any length of time we might be able to see some of the other things he can do. He’s a walking foul machine at this point though.

Return to Dallas Mavericks