RealGM
And1: 5,345

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#321 » by doclinkin » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:44 pm

nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

This is still really strange. They way they are progressing him in an extremely slow manner really looks like it's a recovery from physical injury, not a mental health issue.

Actually treating performance anxiety is very similar to treatment of physical injury, though for different reasons. You want normal basketball activities to become a familiar routine. As the athlete becomes re-acclimated you can increase the weight load on their expectations. Even in practice, you start with coaches etc in an empty gym, then slowly ramp them up to more exposure to team activities. Eventually you can surround them with crowds in no-pressure no-expectations situations, etc. so they get used to that as well, even working out in front of crowds before a game.

Think of it like treating a mental injury and as a fan you may be less impatient. That or treating the wild untamed part of their brain as if it were a powerful racehorse that gets spooked by crowds. Exposure lessens the fear. I don't know that this is what Rui is dealing with but if you look up sports related performance anxiety you can find a few trainers who specialize in this sort of thing, and what they say to do as therapy pretty closely resembles Rui's regimen so far.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#322 » by doclinkin » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:49 pm

Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm confused. If all he's progressed to is 3 on 3 practices, why did they bother activating him? If he's only doing 2 on 2's and 3 on 3's, then how is he even close to being ready to play NBA games?

Normalizing the idea that he could be activated. Wearing the uniform, warming up pre-game. All the things he used to do. I wonder if the Wiz knew of his anxiety issues and that this may have played a factor in their selection of Kispert. If so they'd get a two-fer: a player who is a solid talent, fills a need, and also makes life a little more comfortable for their blue-chip talent from a prior draft.

If this is something he has been dealing with all along, playing with Westbrook must have been trial by fire. Perfectionist anxiety, playing next to a guy with all-time HOF competitive intensity and expectations. Impossible to match.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,784

Post#323 » by CobraCommander » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:20 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'm confused. If all he's progressed to is 3 on 3 practices, why did they bother activating him? If he's only doing 2 on 2's and 3 on 3's, then how is he even close to being ready to play NBA games?

Normalizing the idea that he could be activated. Wearing the uniform, warming up pre-game. All the things he used to do. I wonder if the Wiz knew of his anxiety issues and that this may have played a factor in their selection of Kispert. If so they'd get a two-fer: a player who is a solid talent, fills a need, and also makes life a little more comfortable for their blue-chip talent from a prior draft.

If this is something he has been dealing with all along, playing with Westbrook must have been trial by fire. Perfectionist anxiety, playing next to a guy with all-time HOF competitive intensity and expectations. Impossible to match.

With that said, Rui balled in the Olympics. I hope we find out the cause. If it’s mental and based on some form of performance anxiety, basketball at this level might not be for him. People would respect it if he walked away and did something else with his life. If it’s mental, it will be hard for a team to invest the money his talent warrants based on the real possibility that he may not be able to play at crucial times
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#324 » by daSwami » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:26 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

And they've since added ANOTHER of his former teammates, Ayayi, - that's a lot of roster spots to accommodate one player's anxiety disorder. This tells me the franchise has his back.

Also, the weight of expectations of having to fill the "National Hero" role in his home country during the Olympics must've been hell for him, an anxious person.
:banghead:
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#325 » by payitforward » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:35 pm

Why would anyone think that either the choice of Kispert or signing Ayayi has anything to do with Rui?

Not a chance.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#326 » by smoothSeph » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:11 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Hopefully he’s asymptomatic and this doesn’t set him back.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#327 » by Ruzious » Sat Jan 1, 2022 12:26 am

smoothSeph wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Hopefully he’s asymptomatic and this doesn’t set him back.

Good info. I noticed on the box score that Bryant was also listed as out for Covid protocol rather than for an injury - not that that means that he would have been activated if not for the Covid protocol.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Post#328 » by Frichuela » Sun Jan 9, 2022 10:58 pm

It seems Rui is finally back tonite against the Magic. Very interesting to see how he does…
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#329 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Jan 9, 2022 11:37 pm

Pretty dang rusty.
In Rizzo we trust
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#330 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:27 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#331 » by Dark Faze » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:49 pm

It's only one game, but I didn't see anything new. His 3pt shot form looked different on each attempt with none of them looking good, he's still moving around like he's ankle weights on (and thus limits his potential to play the 3), idk.

I'll give him more time but I think it's important to at least do some preliminary speculation on what we could get if we move him this summer.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#332 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:05 pm

Dark Faze wrote:It's only one game, but I didn't see anything new. His 3pt shot form looked different on each attempt with none of them looking good, he's still moving around like he's ankle weights on (and thus limits his potential to play the 3), idk.

I'll give him more time but I think it's important to at least do some preliminary speculation on what we could get if we move him this summer.

If we got Gafford for Troy Brown...

Hmmm...
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#333 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:21 pm

rusty, but he might be able to help the team once he gets into game shape. looks a little thicker than when we saw him last
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#334 » by prime1time » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:13 pm

Dark Faze wrote:It's only one game, but I didn't see anything new. His 3pt shot form looked different on each attempt with none of them looking good, he's still moving around like he's ankle weights on (and thus limits his potential to play the 3), idk.

Perhaps better to just cut him. I mean one game back and he's not a star why keep him on the team at all?
prime1time
Analyst

Post#335 » by prime1time » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:21 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

If we got Gafford for Troy Brown...

Hmmm...

There really isn't much "hmmm" to be had here tbh. Athletic non-skilled centers are a dime a dozen. But now that we have we don't need another. So all you're going to get for Hachimura is a player that another team doesn't really want. But here's my question. Why not just sign him to a normal roleplayer contract and move on? Is he so bad and problematic that his presence makes our team worse? Is there not a value amount that would make it a good contract?
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#336 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:35 pm

prime1time wrote:There really isn't much "hmmm" to be had here tbh. Athletic non-skilled centers are a dime a dozen. But now that we have we don't need another. So all you're going to get for Hachimura is a player that another team doesn't really want. But here's my question. Why not just sign him to a normal roleplayer contract and move on? Is he so bad and problematic that his presence makes our team worse? Is there not a value amount that would make it a good contract?

Kevin Huerter contract should be the ceiling.

Rui hasn’t proven to be average yet in the NBA.
prime1time
Analyst

Post#337 » by prime1time » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:42 pm

prime1time wrote:

Perhaps better to just cut him. I mean one game back and he's not a star why keep him on the team at all?

In addition I have to question some of your underlying arguments. We've already seen Rui hold his own not just against 3's but also small guards.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/scott-brooks-impressed-how-rui-hachimura-just-keeps-getting-better
"Despite all of that, he has continually taken steps forward in his game. Just look at some of the defensive matchups he's had this season, per NBA tracking stats: Kevin Durant - 3-11 FG Damian Lillard - 0-8 FG Kawhi Leonard - 2-6 FG Jimmy Butler - 4-10 FG Carmelo Anthony - 2-8 FG (via NBA tracking stats) Those players can all score and range in height from 6-foot-3 (Lillard) to 6-foot-10 (Durant), with all different skill sets. "[His defense] getting better every day, every game. That’s what I love about Rui. He wants to improve and has the desire to get better," Brooks said.

If Rui's foot speed is so slow then how do you explain the above? Just luck? Is his foot speed that much slower than Kuzma? Kispert? Avdija?

As far as his shot goes the last time we saw him he went 9/15 from 3 in the playoffs. And when you add in his last 11 games of the regular season he was 17/35 from 3 for his last 16 games of the year. In addition we have comments from this from beat reporters.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Now does this mean he's going to be a great shooter? No. But it strikes to the heart of what you're trying to insinuate which is that he stinks. Here's a question. What would Rui have to do for you to say that he doesn't suck?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#338 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:11 pm

I thought Rui looked a little bit doughy in his first outing. He wasn't quite as cut as he was last season. Presumably, he'll trim down a bit more as he continues to play and work out.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#339 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:32 pm

With Rui now having played 9 games, we are starting to see some patterns develop. Overall, they're actually quite promising. Here are his per 36 numbers:

His points and rebounds are up pretty dramatically, and the increase in points look to be coming the right way. He is launching 3-pointers much more readily, and hitting them at a totally respectable clip. His FTA's are up too. Those are real good signs if he sustains them.

His overall TS% is only .514 (down from his career average of .541), but that's because he has been very inefficient on 2-pointers. His shot distribution isn't all that different from last year (except for the greater 3PA's). The problem is mostly that he is missing around the rim, which is probably just rust and a lack of basketball rhythm:

If he can get his FG% by distance back to the levels of last year, he might become a real offensive asset.

Like last year, his anemic foul rate suggests he is too conservative on defense, never getting steals or blocks. I'd like to see him take a few more prudent gambles on D. I'd rather see him commit 3 fouls per 36 while getting more than 1 steal and 1 block.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#340 » by DCZards » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:34 pm

Rui has been solid thus far. He's showing increased confidence in his 3 ball. He needs to consistently knock down that midrange jumper which could be one of his strengths given his ability to flash into the paint for open shots.

Given that he missed almost the entire first half of the season, I'm eager to see how well Rui plays after the all-star break.

Return to Washington Wizards