ImageImageImageImage

Fultz's 3PT shot (Video from 1/12/22)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,360

Fultz's 3PT shot (Video from 1/12/22) 

Post#1 » by Knightro » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:47 pm

Read on Twitter

I think it's fair to say that "Washington Fultz" no longer exists and is never going to exist again, at least from a perimeter shooting perspective.

Good to see him practicing at least. He looks close to a return.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Re: Fultz's 3PT shot (Video from 1/12/22) 

Post#2 » by Skybox » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:20 pm

We need shooters. I believe Fultz can be an effective offensive hub just penetrating & kicking with a deadly midrange game, but we need legit "hang out here with your hands up" shooters. RJ for Kispert? Nesmith? are they're any other Curry brothers? take Duncan Robinson's deal off of MIA?
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#3 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:24 pm

I legitimately feel for anyone out there who was still holding out hope for “Washington Fultz”. I mean guys, we are 5 years and two major injuries removed from that player.

The current Fultz has a long, uphill battle to even prove himself to be a starting level guard in this league.

At this point, I think a player like Andre Miller is his best comparison. If we can develop him into a quality rotational guard and have him be useful when we’re finally ready to win games, I’ll be happy.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,160

Post#4 » by zaymon » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:41 pm

Doesnt it look smoother than his midrange shot we saw not long ago ? Miss is a miss, but the shot looks kind of good to me.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,783

Post#5 » by Audi » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:42 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:I legitimately feel for anyone out there who was still holding out hope for “Washington Fultz”. I mean guys, we are 5 years and two major injuries removed from that player.

The current Fultz has a long, uphill battle to even prove himself to be a starting level guard in this league.

At this point, I think a player like Andre Miller is his best comparison. If we can develop him into a quality rotational guard and have him be useful when we’re finally ready to win games, I’ll be happy.

Andre Miller is an ironic comp considering his penchant for avoiding injury made him particularly special.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#6 » by swarlesbarkley » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:50 pm

zaymon wrote:Doesnt it look smoother than his midrange shot we saw not long ago ? Miss is a miss, but the shot looks kind of good to me.

I thought so too but I'm not sure if I'm seeing that just because I want it to be.

TBH it looks a lot closer to Steph's form when Fultz used to be closer to Kobe's form. Not comparing them as players but Kobe would jump then shoot while Steph does it in one fluid motion. From the previous practice vid it looked like Fultz is still using the Kobe form on jumpers inside the 3pt line so that's still pretty weird.

The 2 main things are - can he hit the shot above 35% and can he get off a 3 pointer with a defender in his face? Doesn't matter what the shot looks like if he can do these 2 things.
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#7 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:06 pm

Audi wrote:Andre Miller is an ironic comp considering his penchant for avoiding injury made him particularly special.

Dependability is the next step for him. The comp was more in terms of playing style, trajectory, and role on the team.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Post#8 » by tiderulz » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:52 pm

Skybox wrote:We need shooters. I believe Fultz can be an effective offensive hub just penetrating & kicking with a deadly midrange game, but we need legit "hang out here with your hands up" shooters. RJ for Kispert? Nesmith? are they're any other Curry brothers? take Duncan Robinson's deal off of MIA?

why do people think he has some great mid-range game. in 2019-2020, he shot 37% from 10-16 ft. that isnt deadly.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 661

Post#9 » by RichCollab » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:34 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think it's fair to say that "Washington Fultz" no longer exists and is never going to exist again, at least from a perimeter shooting perspective.

Watching that shot broke my heart. Not sure why I had higher expectations.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#10 » by basketballRob » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:37 pm

Lol. Can't help laughing at some of these reactions to a couple of shots. Why don't we wait until they play 20 games before we make any assumptions?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,009

Post#11 » by Ducklett » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:50 pm

basketballRob wrote:Lol. Can't help laughing at some of these reactions to a couple of shots. Why don't we wait until they play 20 games before we make any assumptions?

I mean DID YOU SEE THE SHOT!? GOOD LORD CUT HIM ALREADY!
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,728

Post#12 » by thelead » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:56 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

This makes me so incredibly bummed. I knew it was HIGHLY improbable for his old form to return but I still held onto hope mostly due to the contract that the FO gave him. Sigh....

At least the shot looks faster. At the end of the day, I need to see if he can shoot it off the dribble. As a guard, he is going to have the ball in his hands and needs to be able to shoot off the dribble.
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#13 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:40 pm

thelead wrote:This makes me so incredibly bummed. I knew it was HIGHLY improbable for his old form to return but I still held onto hope mostly due to the contract that the FO gave him. Sigh....

I resigned myself to the fact that this kid legitimately wrecked his shoulder when he first came back for us and his shot was still in the state that it was in.

I think the sooner that we accept this and not that he has the “yips” or some mental block the easier it will be to let go of the Washington Fultz thing.

He will never be that player. The shoulder injury really destroyed his chances at ever becoming it, and his ceiling is what it is at this point. If he becomes so elite at the playmaking and defensive aspects of his game that he becomes an average starting guard, it will be a win in my eyes.

Even that is a long way off though.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#14 » by swarlesbarkley » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:50 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
thelead wrote:This makes me so incredibly bummed. I knew it was HIGHLY improbable for his old form to return but I still held onto hope mostly due to the contract that the FO gave him. Sigh....

I resigned myself to the fact that this kid legitimately wrecked his shoulder when he first came back for us and his shot was still in the state that it was in.

I think the sooner that we accept this and not that he has the “yips” or some mental block the easier it will be to let go of the Washington Fultz thing.

He will never be that player. The shoulder injury really destroyed his chances at ever becoming it, and his ceiling is what it is at this point. If he becomes so elite at the playmaking and defensive aspects of his game that he becomes an average starting guard, it will be a win in my eyes.

Yeah, he never had the yips or any mental block, but there was hope that the TOS would be managed to a point where it wouldn't be notable in his shot. I've resigned to the fact that his Washington 3pt shot won't be coming back but I still have some hope that he can make this new version of it work.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#15 » by BCS » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:02 pm

I don't know why I did it, but just went to watch some of his highlights in Washington to compare his shot release...smh, what a mistake, just sad now...lol.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Post#16 » by tiderulz » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:07 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:

Yeah, he never had the yips or any mental block, but there was hope that the TOS would be managed to a point where it wouldn't be notable in his shot. I've resigned to the fact that his Washington 3pt shot won't be coming back but I still have some hope that he can make this new version of it work.

i still wonder about the rumor that he crashed a motorocycle between college and the NBA, causing him to adjust his shooting motion.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#17 » by basketballRob » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:26 pm

Lol

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,151

Post#18 » by Def Swami » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:26 pm

Thats a really low release.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,351

Post#19 » by tooler » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:56 pm

I have a hard time even connecting emotionally to Fultz's presence on the team. They took a flyer on him. He got our mess of a team organized on offense, which was nice to see. He's only on a 3-year contract. He could turn into a pumpkin tomorrow and I wouldn't bat an eye. Not because I'm a hater or skeptic or in denial, I just see him as a low risk play at a position where we have a couple of other options anyway.

In summary: *shrug*
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,632

Post#20 » by Skybox » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:13 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Skybox wrote:We need shooters. I believe Fultz can be an effective offensive hub just penetrating & kicking with a deadly midrange game, but we need legit "hang out here with your hands up" shooters. RJ for Kispert? Nesmith? are they're any other Curry brothers? take Duncan Robinson's deal off of MIA?

why do people think he has some great mid-range game. in 2019-2020, he shot 37% from 10-16 ft. that isnt deadly.

No doubt he hasn't delivered on any consistent basis...but I have seen him look really really good on occasion. I guess I've given up on the 3 and would settle for the midrange pull-ups, which have always LOOKED good. I'm really rooting for him, but this is it for me, if he doesn't come through really soon, no question it's a done deal for him.

Return to Orlando Magic