Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Re: Johnny Davis - Wisconsin 

Post#81 » by clyde21 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 10:10 pm

EMG518 wrote:Davis > Ivey

this you from earlier in this thread?

EMG518 wrote:Ehh, don't see anything that really gets me excited. Looks like he may be a role player for a team if anything.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#82 » by EMG518 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 10:38 pm

clyde21 wrote:

EMG518 wrote:Ehh, don't see anything that really gets me excited. Looks like he may be a role player for a team if anything.

You know it is lol. I hadn't seen much of him at that point and people's views do change.

I still do wish he moved a bit smoother but can't deny he looks like he will be an above average defender, potentially even good, and has the type of game that bodes well for the league. He is going to score alot. Just needs to clean up the shot a bit but he should be above average there and good at creating.

Ivey feels like a player who needs the ball to really put his impact on the game and just isn't the type of player who develops a diverse offensive skill set.

To me he still reminds me of Westbrook with a little Ja to him. Westbrook as great of an athlete as he is has always been limited.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#83 » by zimpy27 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 5:28 am

EMG518 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

You know it is lol. I hadn't seen much of him at that point and people's views do change.

I still do wish he moved a bit smoother but can't deny he looks like he will be an above average defender, potentially even good, and has the type of game that bodes well for the league. He is going to score alot. Just needs to clean up the shot a bit but he should be above average there and good at creating.

Ivey feels like a player who needs the ball to really put his impact on the game and just isn't the type of player who develops a diverse offensive skill set.

To me he still reminds me of Westbrook with a little Ja to him. Westbrook as great of an athlete as he is has always been limited.

If Ivey keeps looking average in conference games and Davis looks excellent then a lot more people will be converted.

There's a significant skill and arsenal difference between Davis and Ivey that's showing out in conference games where Ivey needs more than just his speed and the hot shooting streak to look like the best on the floor.

If the draft happened right now I'm not taking Ivey top 5 and no chance do I take him over Davis. Maybe Ivey can diversify over the season still or maybe an NBA team sees that they can develop him and over reaches.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#84 » by jman3134 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:14 pm

Both Ivey and Davis are top 10 picks. I don't expect Ivey to show out as much as we might expect at Purdue due to their spacing. Totally different story with more open lanes in the NBA.

Davis is a straight killer. Extremely well rounded game. He plays tough defensively w/ good hands and instincts, hits from three open or off the bounce, and can create for his teammates. Not many obvious flaws.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,041

Post#85 » by The-Power » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:22 pm

jman3134 wrote:Both Ivey and Davis are top 10 picks. I don't expect Ivey to show out as much as we might expect at Purdue due to their spacing. Totally different story with more open lanes in the NBA.

Fully agreed.

jman3134 wrote:Davis is a straight killer. Extremely well rounded game. He plays tough defensively w/ good hands and instincts, hits from three open or off the bounce, and can create for his teammates. Not many obvious flaws.

Agreed as well. I guess his main flaw is his propensity to take a lot of tough and low-efficiency shots. He really is a bit like Westbrook in his overall approach, for the better or worse. Shot selection is teachable to some extent, though, and if he can score at just average efficiency while keeping his energy up on both ends, he'll be a good contributor at the next level.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#86 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:35 am

The-Power wrote:
jman3134 wrote:Both Ivey and Davis are top 10 picks. I don't expect Ivey to show out as much as we might expect at Purdue due to their spacing. Totally different story with more open lanes in the NBA.

Fully agreed.

jman3134 wrote:Davis is a straight killer. Extremely well rounded game. He plays tough defensively w/ good hands and instincts, hits from three open or off the bounce, and can create for his teammates. Not many obvious flaws.

Agreed as well. I guess his main flaw is his propensity to take a lot of tough and low-efficiency shots. He really is a bit like Westbrook in his overall approach, for the better or worse. Shot selection is teachable to some extent, though, and if he can score at just average efficiency while keeping his energy up on both ends, he'll be a good contributor at the next level.

Yeah I watched him the other night and was a bit worried about how much he shoots. He's talented but my God he shoots everytime he touches the ball it feels like.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#87 » by yoyoboy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:55 am

Man he'd be perfect for us. Probably out of our range unfortunately.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#88 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:09 am

yoyoboy wrote:Man he'd be perfect for us. Probably out of our range unfortunately.

if not Davis, Mathurin seems like a good fit if he drops

i have high interest in the Cavs now that you got my boy Mobley :lol:
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#89 » by yoyoboy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:17 am

clyde21 wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:Man he'd be perfect for us. Probably out of our range unfortunately.

if not Davis, Mathurin seems like a good fit if he drops

i have high interest in the Cavs now that you got my boy Mobley :lol:

Mathurin is definitely the other guy I like for us who's at least semi realistic. With Rubio being out, I kinda view this season as a lost cause to some degree. He was so important to what we were doing on both ends of the floor and helped cover up JBB's coaching deficiencies. So I almost wouldn't mind and wouldn't be surprised if we fell down the standings to back end of lottery territory.

I just really don't see the advantage of finishing with a high seed in the East when this team clearly isn't built to succeed in the playoffs at this point given the lack of scoring and creation on the wing. Okoro, Lauri, Stevens, and Cedi is a brutal rotation. Mobley isn't ready to be a creator against set playoff defenses, so Garland is the only real ballhandler and playmaker on the team, outside of Rondo who's washed at that point. And I don't see any other way we acquire the talent on the wing necessary to compete with the top teams unless we manage to bring in another lottery talent. We don't have the assets to make a big trade and we're not going to be a free agent destination, so the draft is essentially the only way.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#90 » by DroseReturnChi » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:26 am

heavily disagree. ivey destroyed u19 game and his game is better on the nba. davis is solid but honestly hes on a streak compared to corey kispert.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#91 » by jman3134 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:04 pm

Can someone explain to me Keegan Murray over Johnny Davis? https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/1

I've watched them head to head, Keegan is like 2 years older......make it make sense. These ESPN guys are awful.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#92 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:22 pm

jman3134 wrote:Can someone explain to me Keegan Murray over Johnny Davis? https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/1

I've watched them head to head, Keegan is like 2 years older......make it make sense. These ESPN guys are awful.

i don't get Duren at 5, what am I missing here?
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#93 » by jman3134 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:03 pm

clyde21 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:Can someone explain to me Keegan Murray over Johnny Davis? https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/1

i don't get Duren at 5, what am I missing here?

Think that is more high school pedigree than anything we have seen on the court. That's why I put him at 6, though that could change dramatically by year end.
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#94 » by namlede » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:14 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:

heavily disagree. ivey destroyed u19 game and his game is better on the nba. davis is solid but honestly hes on a streak compared to corey kispert.
agreed. When I watch ivey I see superstar. just his personality, athleticism, not only is he quick and fast but he is pretty strong as well. great work ethic.

when I watch Davis i see a potentially good starter some day. maybe if he has Jimmy Butlers drive to succeed he can become great, but I'd take the chance on Ivey 100% over Davis if I had to chose to start my franchise.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,041

Post#95 » by The-Power » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:11 am

It's of course fine to be higher on Davis but a) why does one head-to-head match-up matter and b) Murray so far this year is as dominant as anyone we have seen since Zion, statistically speaking. Of course he gets a lot of love for having such an exceptional season.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#96 » by jman3134 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:13 am

The-Power wrote:

It's of course fine to be higher on Davis but a) why does one head-to-head match-up matter and b) Murray so far this year is as dominant as anyone we have seen since Zion, statistically speaking. Of course he gets a lot of love for having such an exceptional season.

It has nothing to do with the outcome of them matching up in a one game sample. My point was it is clear as day watching them who is the better prospect, as Davis has had the edge this season imo and the age gap is there.

Keegan Murray is scoring at a remarkable clip right now. And, don't get me wrong - I do like his game, but I believe that it needs to be put in the proper age/expectations-context. What Murray has is a great basketball intelligence. I wouldn't say his burst is spectacular, he is not physically imposing, and he scores on a lot of layups. He isn't a remarkable three point shooter, nor does he have an amazing handle. It is good relative to his size.

I just don't see a lotto talent watching him, and I am surprised they would go from not rating him at all to putting him towards the top of their list. If we are talking college accolades, he is right up there, no question. Also, he has been doing this all season long, and now he goes from a mediocre rating to #6?
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#97 » by getrichordie » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:27 am

How are we feeling about Johnny Davis right now fellas?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#98 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:31 am

Davis is essentially Booker with better defense. Crafty, intelligent, highly skilled with moxie and confidence. What's not to like? Because there's other great prospects at positions of need for most of these teams I could see him dropping. But what does OKC do if say, they get the 3rd pick with Banchero and Smith off the board. Do they pair him with SGA or take Chet?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#99 » by zimpy27 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:58 am

Still ranked 5th for me. I am one of the few that would choose Davis over Ivey.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#100 » by EMG518 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:47 pm

Work to improve and become an even better shooter and work to improve his ability to handle the ball and create for others besides himself and you have a really really good player imo. As it is he seems like you can throw him in at shooting guard on any team and he can get you 20 with above average defense.

Return to NBA Draft