Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 5.0

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,344

Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 5.0 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:06 am

Can't believe we are on version 5 of this already. But so glad we decided to have a place for random thoughts and such not big enough for a thread.

I'll kick this one off by saying I'm cautiously optimistic Josh Green will see all 4 years of his rookie deal. And before you say so what, this is actually kind of a big deal for the little Mavericks who have more 1st rounds pick than you'd probably believe who haven't seen year 3. And many of those Dallas paid to dump their small 3rd year rookie salary even.

He's getting it. Now I'm not telling you he's good--the sample is so small. I'm definitely not saying he's a good trade asset now, he's not. Just he looks like he's going to belong as an NBA player particularly if he can make 35%+ of his 3's eventually. He's got great instincts as a cutter/passer.

Moses Brown otoh is terrible. I still can't believe we had posters calling him the next Artis Gilmore worth a 1st round pick just this past summer. Makes me think they never saw him play and just saw the double doubles he was putting up on a tanking OKC team. Because I dont' see how you watch this guy and think future star. I think future G-Leauge/CBA guy.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,344

Re: Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 5.0 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:23 am

Oh and on bigger things I think we should dial way back on the Simmons threads or else we are going to have to do a containment thread again and I really don't want to moderate that because it quickly stops being about trades or value/direction and just becomes a place for rants where people forget rich athletes are also human beings.

But this is ya'll's board. So if you guys really want to focus on Simmons as much as the board has lately, we'll put up a containment thread and shove everything into it.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,605

Post#3 » by toooskies » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:41 am

As jbk1234 mentioned in a Cavaliers forum thread, Simmons is the real-life domino that needs to fall so that everyone else can move onto smaller fish. If the Cavs need a guard/wing, Portland isn't trading them McCollum or Powell, and Minnesota isn't trading them Beasley, and Sacramento isn't trading anybody, until they know if they're getting Simmons.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:42 am

With Lillard out, I think Portland has several players Utah could use, especially Nance (but also Covington, Snell, and Little).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Post#5 » by shangrila » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:59 am

toooskies wrote:As jbk1234 mentioned in a Cavaliers forum thread, Simmons is the real-life domino that needs to fall so that everyone else can move onto smaller fish. If the Cavs need a guard/wing, Portland isn't trading them McCollum or Powell, and Minnesota isn't trading them Beasley, and Sacramento isn't trading anybody, until they know if they're getting Simmons.

Yep.

Someone posted a tweet on the MIN board that said we aren't making any moves that would compromise our ability to trade for Simmons. Which is...bizarre, since it seems we have no shot at acquiring him anyway and have been decent enough this season where making trades to go in on the playoffs makes way too much sense, but then I'm not an exec so what do I know?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,567

Post#6 » by Colbinii » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:59 am

After some podcasting I cant help but think the team that decides to "Sell" is going to reap the benefits as everyone else is trying to make the coveted Play-In Game.

I love Portland for this.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,399

Post#7 » by Blazinaway » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:16 am

Colbinii wrote:After some podcasting I cant help but think the team that decides to "Sell" is going to reap the benefits as everyone else is trying to make the coveted Play-In Game.

Everyone on Portland's roster sans Lillard is available IMO. Most likely to be moved are the usual suspects in Roco/CJ/Nurk/Powell. Simons is interesting as he looks to be breaking out yet he is an RFA next yr so he could be moved as well, Portland needs to shed at least one of CJ/Powell/Simons. I think Nas Little is only moved as part of a larger deal to bring in a star level player, kid has been playing very solid at a position of huge need, and has significantly more upside and defends well, something Portland severely needs. Guys like Zeller/DSJ/Mclemore(who has played well) and others are all available. Be interesting to see how much happens

In addition, we have an interim GM so who knows what latitude he has for making trades, could be fun or boring
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#8 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:30 am

Colbinii wrote:After some podcasting I cant help but think the team that decides to "Sell" is going to reap the benefits as everyone else is trying to make the coveted Play-In Game.

Portland/Indiana probably gonna win a lot at the trade deadline.

Others teams gonna sell too but less players/less return (Houston/maybe Clippers?)
b33nine
Senior
And1: 92

Post#9 » by b33nine » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:44 am

babyjax13 wrote:With Lillard out, I think Portland has several players Utah could use, especially Nance (but also Covington, Snell, and Little).

Probably have to overpay for Little since he's one of Portland's youth who shows promise. Covington and Nurkic for certain are available for the right price, and I'm guessing the 1 year minimum guys as well (Zeller, McLemore, Snell) but I think they have built in no-trade clauses as 1 year guys correct? I'd guess Nance and Powell are only available for the right deal.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,497

Post#10 » by zimpy27 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:52 am

yeah Portland could clean up i they wanted to sell this year

Lillard in a 3 way trade for a team to get Simmons
Sell everyone else to contenders for picks
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#11 » by Blazinaway » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:56 am

zimpy27 wrote:yeah Portland could clean up i they wanted to sell this year

I agree POR is open for business with the exception of Lillard - that ain't happening at this deadline for sure
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,497

Post#12 » by zimpy27 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:07 am

Blazinaway wrote:

I agree POR is open for business with the exception of Lillard - that ain't happening at this deadline for sure

Well they would get the biggest haul at this deadline. I think they get less in the future and Lillard would ruin their tanking this year.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#13 » by Blazinaway » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:22 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:

Well they would get the biggest haul at this deadline. I think they get less in the future and Lillard would ruin their tanking this year.

Disagree on Por getting less if they wait on Lillard. The guy is having surgery tomorrow and is out at least 6-8 weeks and likely the season and he had a poor yr up to this pt - seriously has his value ever been lower over the past several years? More importantly he has said he wants to remain in Portland and give a rebuild a try. Just not going to happen unless someone makes a crazy can't refuse offer and I really don't see that happening at this time.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#14 » by Ell Curry » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:27 am

shangrila wrote:
toooskies wrote:As jbk1234 mentioned in a Cavaliers forum thread, Simmons is the real-life domino that needs to fall so that everyone else can move onto smaller fish. If the Cavs need a guard/wing, Portland isn't trading them McCollum or Powell, and Minnesota isn't trading them Beasley, and Sacramento isn't trading anybody, until they know if they're getting Simmons.

Yep.

Someone posted a tweet on the MIN board that said we aren't making any moves that would compromise our ability to trade for Simmons. Which is...bizarre, since it seems we have no shot at acquiring him anyway and have been decent enough this season where making trades to go in on the playoffs makes way too much sense, but then I'm not an exec so what do I know?

I wouldn't say no chance. You have all your own first rounders, Prince's expiring and Beasley with only one year left (then team option) so a 3 way deal feels plausible enough to me IF there's a team with a guy Philly wants who wants the rebuild package instead of Ben. It is true that the picks might not seem that valuable since Towns-Simmons-Edwards-Russell should be a playoff team, so you might have to part with more.
Where's the D?
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#15 » by NYG » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:07 am

The players below are the ones mentioned in this article: https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/33034686/2022-nba-trade-deadline-watch-potential-deals-all-30-teams

Who are the top 5 players in order on this list besides Ben Simmons?

Danilo Gallinari
Cam Reddish
Bogdan Bogdanovic
De'Andre Hunter

Dennis Schroder
Josh Richardson
Marcus Smart

Mason Plumlee
James Bouknight
PJ Washington

Patrick Williams

Ricky Rubio
Collin Sexton
Cedi Osman
Dylan Windler

Jerami Grant

Kevin Porter Jr.
Christian Wood
Eric Gordon
John Wall
D.J. Augustin

Myles Turner
Caris LeVert

Serge Ibaka

Talen Horton-Tucker
Kendrick Nunn
DeAndre Jordan

Donte DiVincenzo

D'Angelo Russell
Malik Beasley
Jarred Vanderbilt
Jaden McDaniels

Tomas Satoransky

Kevin Knox
Mitchell Robinson

Terrance Ross

Ben Simmons

Dario Saric
Jalen Smith

Robert Covington
Jusuf Nurkic

Everyone on the Kings possibly?

Thaddeus Young

Goran Dragic
Chris Boucher

Bojan Bogdanovic
Joe Ingles
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#16 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:31 am

shangrila wrote:

Yep.

Not just teams that want to trade for Simmons, teams that Morey is trying to keep in the loop as third or fourth teams. He's freezing the market a bit, but I suspect that 48 hours after January 15th, teams start thinking about Plan B.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,657

Post#17 » by ejftw » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:49 am

What teams have a two year deal around 9.5-10M they'd deal for an expiring Ibaka? Or 14-15M for Ibaka and Winslow? Hopefully also willing to toss in a decent SRP or two.

Just looking for options to relay Ibaka's deal got a potential deal ballast during the summer
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 252

Post#18 » by Consequence » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:04 am

ejftw wrote:What teams have a two year deal around 9.5-10M they'd deal for an expiring Ibaka? Or 14-15M for Ibaka and Winslow? Hopefully also willing to toss in a decent SRP or two.

Just looking for options to relay Ibaka's deal got a potential deal ballast during the summer

Not much out there, I’d say. Maybe try to get in on the trade Charlotte makes for a better starting C and get something for taking Plumlee?
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,657

Post#19 » by ejftw » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:06 am

Consequence wrote:
ejftw wrote:What teams have a two year deal around 9.5-10M they'd deal for an expiring Ibaka? Or 14-15M for Ibaka and Winslow? Hopefully also willing to toss in a decent SRP or two.

Not much out there, I’d say. Maybe try to get in on the trade Charlotte makes for a better starting C and get something for taking Plumlee?

Yeah, that was my initial aim too but looking for any other alternates. Like would Detroit want a redo on Kelly O? Boston not want year 2 of Richardson?

But Charlotte is still where I circle back too since they do have a need for a C
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#20 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:08 am

ejftw wrote:
Consequence wrote:

Yeah, that was my initial aim too but looking for any other alternates. Like would Detroit want a redo on Kelly O? Boston not want year 2 of Richardson?

But Charlotte is still where I circle back too since they do have a need for a C

OKC for Favors?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Trades and Transactions