ImageImageImage

Romeo Langford Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Re: Romeo Langford Thread 

Post#881 » by playa-hater » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:13 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Should play more .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing is, one way or another, in year 3, I was at least hoping to get a good idea of what Romeo can be. A good player, an OK or a bad player, at least we would know... right???.. I still have nothing more than a little idea..

Thanks Ime.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,127

Post#882 » by Hal14 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:18 pm

ballup wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:
Nate McMillan is absolutely trash lol.

Pacers fans said it and Hawks fans are realising it now

1) All fans say their coach is trash. Saying that pacers fans and hawks fans said it does nothing to support your argument.

2) the hawks were 14-20 last season before McMillan took over as head coach. He got them to game 7 of the conference finals vs the eventual champs, Milwaukee Bucks. He's not trash. McMillan finished 5th in coach of the year voting, with 12 votes

Blazers fans know about McMillan too. He has always been a mediocre coach. Dwaybe Casey won COTY once. See how Raptors fans view the man

To get back onto topic, it's strange that Udoka dropped Romeo from the rotation in January so suddenly. I get that no minutes are guaranteed and rotations are fluid throughout the year, but this decision is strange without any news of why. The only conspiracy like take that'd fit would be the Celtics keeping Romeo healthy for the trade deadline.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Udoka has been rolling with a 9 man rotation pretty much all year - unless it's a game we're really crippled by injuries/illness and he only rotates 8. 9 is pretty much the standard rotation in the NBA today..

We all know that 8 of the rotation guys (when everyone is healthy) are smart, rob, al, tatum, brown, schroder, j-rich and Grant.

kanter wasn't in the rotation for the first couple months. seems like kanter has replaced romeo. i don't know why, but....

-Kanter has played pretty good for the most part since being inserted into the rotation.
-romeo's shooting has cooled off after a hot start (he was around 40% from 3 early on, but that's dipped to 33%).
-Romeo has missed some games due to minor injuries and illness, whereas Kanter has been more durable/reliable this season
-Having Kanter in the rotation allows us to start both bigs (al and rob) and still be able to bring a big off the bench.
-Udoka likes his established, proven vets over young kids who are still developing. Romeo is the youngest guy on the team. kanter is one of the oldest

I'm guessing kanter getting mins over romeo is due to a combination of 1 or more of the above factors.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
SatchSanders
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#883 » by SatchSanders » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:24 pm

ballup wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:
Nate McMillan is absolutely trash lol.

Pacers fans said it and Hawks fans are realising it now

1) All fans say their coach is trash. Saying that pacers fans and hawks fans said it does nothing to support your argument.

2) the hawks were 14-20 last season before McMillan took over as head coach. He got them to game 7 of the conference finals vs the eventual champs, Milwaukee Bucks. He's not trash. McMillan finished 5th in coach of the year voting, with 12 votes

Blazers fans know about McMillan too. He has always been a mediocre coach. Dwaybe Casey won COTY once. See how Raptors fans view the man

To get back onto topic, it's strange that Udoka dropped Romeo from the rotation in January so suddenly. I get that no minutes are guaranteed and rotations are fluid throughout the year, but this decision is strange without any news of why. The only conspiracy like take that'd fit would be the Celtics keeping Romeo healthy for the trade deadline.

I think we're showcasing vets until the deadline.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,797

Post#884 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:26 pm

SatchSanders wrote:
ballup wrote:
Hal14 wrote:1) All fans say their coach is trash. Saying that pacers fans and hawks fans said it does nothing to support your argument.

Hopefully not that long.

SChroder and Horford out!

I am really ok with Richardson, I am loving what he brings.

pg/sg/sf he can play ALL those positions, plays super hard, cuts and moves WITHOUT the ball and is shooting very well.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#885 » by ddb » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:47 pm

Romeo stinks. Nesmith stinks. Pritchard is a solid backup PG at best. Grant is a 10th man. Great parting gifts from Danny Ainge. His last good pick was Timelord. I give him credit for Tatum & Brown. That's obviously huge....but let's also not act like it was some incredible feat either. He had the #1 pick in the draft. And the #3 pick....you have a better chance of drafting someone really good in that position then not.
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#886 » by ballup » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:02 pm

Hal14 wrote:
ballup wrote:
Hal14 wrote:1) All fans say their coach is trash. Saying that pacers fans and hawks fans said it does nothing to support your argument.

Udoka has been rolling with a 9 man rotation pretty much all year - unless it's a game we're really crippled by injuries/illness and he only rotates 8. 9 is pretty much the standard rotation in the NBA today..

We all know that 8 of the rotation guys (when everyone is healthy) are smart, rob, al, tatum, brown, schroder, j-rich and Grant.

kanter wasn't in the rotation for the first couple months. seems like kanter has replaced romeo. i don't know why, but....

-Kanter has played pretty good for the most part since being inserted into the rotation.
-romeo's shooting has cooled off after a hot start (he was around 40% from 3 early on, but that's dipped to 33%).
-Romeo has missed some games due to minor injuries and illness, whereas Kanter has been more durable/reliable this season
-Having Kanter in the rotation allows us to start both bigs (al and rob) and still be able to bring a big off the bench.
-Udoka likes his established, proven vets over young kids who are still developing. Romeo is the youngest guy on the team. kanter is one of the oldest

I'm guessing kanter getting mins over romeo is due to a combination of 1 or more of the above factors.

I forgot how long Richardson was out and the fact that December was a turnstyle for injuries/illness.

Looking at the game to game box scorea, Romeo is the 9th man and Udoka has been going with 8 if the team is healthy. Kanter shouldn't affect Romeo's minutes directly. At least not cut him out of the rotation seeing as the play drastically different positions. I don't think it's necessarily an age thing either. Romeo isn't constantly making detrimental mistakes.

He has only missed 7 out of 29 games before January. The guy is healthy now so it still doesn't make sense for his minutes to drop that hard so suddenly if Udoka wasn't trying to keep a tight 8 man rotation.

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#887 » by Parliament10 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:37 pm

Read on Twitter

With all Due Respect, I think it's time to Trade this Kid.
He's Officially "Injury Prone".
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#888 » by playa-hater » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:19 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

With all Due Respect, I think it's time to Trade this Kid.
He's Officially "Injury Prone".

and his current trade value may be Zero sorry to say. between his physical health issues and our fearless leader making the least of his potential.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#889 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:08 am

Shut him down, give his opportunities this season to Nesmith, work on a few skills with him when he's up to it, then really give him another chance next season.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,488

Post#890 » by Kalela » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:27 am

Is it possible teams asked about him in potential trades and the Celtics are leaking this "Achilles" issue to scare them away? Just trying to have a positive outlook. lol
Fire Mazzulla
ddb
RealGM

Post#891 » by ddb » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:20 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
SatchSanders wrote:
ballup wrote:

Hopefully not that long.

SChroder and Horford out!

I am really ok with Richardson, I am loving what he brings.

pg/sg/sf he can play ALL those positions, plays super hard, cuts and moves WITHOUT the ball and is shooting very well.

I agree on Richardson, although it takes something to get something. Probably not getting much of a return unless you're willing to move Smart and/or Richardson as part of a trade package. With that said, I agree that I like the player/role/relationships he has with this group. Plus, he's a guy that you can start in a pinch if there are any injuries to the starters. Just a nice guy to have around on a reasonable contract.
To me, I'm willing to finally trade Smart BECAUSE we have Richardson. Ideally, you have Smart/Richardson/Horford coming off the bench...That's a fantastic veteran bench unit for a title team. Probably being that who are the starters then? LMAO.
ddb
RealGM

Post#892 » by ddb » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:21 pm

Kalela wrote:Is it possible teams asked about him in potential trades and the Celtics are leaking this "Achilles" issue to scare them away? Just trying to have a positive outlook. lol

No it's far more likely that he has an actual issue with his achilles and is within 2-years of being out of the league.
ddb
RealGM

Post#893 » by ddb » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:22 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Shut him down, give his opportunities this season to Nesmith, work on a few skills with him when he's up to it, then really give him another chance next season.

Romeo is a season away from being a season away
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,833

Post#894 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:06 pm

ddb wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Shut him down, give his opportunities this season to Nesmith, work on a few skills with him when he's up to it, then really give him another chance next season.

Romeo is a season away from getting a vet min. contract. Celtics fans overrate their young players something fierce.
ddb
RealGM

Post#895 » by ddb » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:15 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
ddb wrote:

Romeo is a season away from getting a vet min. contract. Celtics fans overrate their young players something fierce.

Danny and his staff really struggled the last couple years drafting....Especially, when you factor in the picks & flexibility they had...They royally F'd up the 2019 draft with Romeo, Grant, Edwards, etc....Just brutal.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#896 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:20 pm

ddb wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
ddb wrote:

Danny and his staff really struggled the last couple years drafting....Especially, when you factor in the picks & flexibility they had...They royally F'd up the 2019 draft with Romeo, Grant, Edwards, etc....Just brutal.

Don't forget drafting Kelly Olynyk at 13, when Giannis Antetokounmpo went at 15.
That was Fantastic.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ddb
RealGM

Post#897 » by ddb » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:25 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
ddb wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Romeo is a season away from getting a vet min. contract. Celtics fans overrate their young players something fierce.

Don't forget drafting Kelly Olynyk at 13, when Giannis Antetokounmpo went at 15.
That was Fantastic.

How can anyone forget that! But to his defense, half the teams in the league missed on Giannis. I forgave the staff for that miss because Giannis was an absolute unknown, skinny, baby-looking, kid from Greece...NOBODY, not even the Bucks knew he would turn into an absolute monster. I officially forgave the staff for missing on Giannis when they moved down and still ended up with Tatum. I'd say the unpopular pick of Jaylen was a homerun too. Drafting Timelord late first was a great pick......and I understand that you can't hit on every pick you make....it's the nature of the business. but they had so many picks, so much flexibility, probably so many options....I just think they overthought it and really screwed up the last 2 drafts.
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#898 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:36 pm

I mean right now Javonte Green probably has more value in the league than Romeo Langford. Think about that for a minute.

That is a failure by Celtics management on so many levels. Javonte Green is a starter for the Bulls playing 22 minutes a game. Now I'm not saying Green is a stud. My point is the Celtics didn't play Green and they are not playing Langford and Nesmith. What the hell are they doing?

I don't think they know.
ddb
RealGM

Post#899 » by ddb » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:53 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:I mean right now Javonte Green probably has more value in the league than Romeo Langford. Think about that for a minute.

That is a failure by Celtics management on so many levels. Javonte Green is a starter for the Bulls playing 22 minutes a game. Now I'm not saying Green is a stud. My point is the Celtics didn't play Green and they are not playing Langford and Nesmith. What the hell are they doing?

I don't think they know.

IMO, both Romeo & Nesmith look the part but lack the intangibles. If I knew absolutely nothing about basketball, walked into an open practice with a bunch of basketball players and both Romeo & Nesmith were in there running, shooting, doing drills, etc....I would very likely walk out of that practice thinking they were good players. Then you see them in a game and you're like "WTF is wrong with these guys?" they show flashes here and there, but have demonstrated absolutely nothing that would lead me to believe they can be reliable NBA players over time.
Javonte is a great example of someone that at the very least works his a$$ off, and can jump through the ceiling....dude can't dribble and can't shoot....yet even when he was in Boston I loved when he was on the floor. He would always do at least SOMETHING to help the team. offensive rebound, a put back dunk, a steal.....he worked so damn hard. Romeo looks like he's on cruise control at all times...like "eh, I'm here". I see no fight in him. Nesmith has fight......but he plays too fast......shoot, I got it! Let's somehow combine Romeo & Nesmith into 1 guy! he would be awesome
Celts17Pride
RealGM

Post#900 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:58 pm

ddb wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:I mean right now Javonte Green probably has more value in the league than Romeo Langford. Think about that for a minute.

I don't think they know.

IMO, both Romeo & Nesmith look the part but lack the intangibles. If I knew absolutely nothing about basketball, walked into an open practice with a bunch of basketball players and both Romeo & Nesmith were in there running, shooting, doing drills, etc....I would very likely walk out of that practice thinking they were good players. Then you see them in a game and you're like "WTF is wrong with these guys?" they show flashes here and there, but have demonstrated absolutely nothing that would lead me to believe they can be reliable NBA players over time.
Javonte is a great example of someone that at the very least works his a$$ off, and can jump through the ceiling....dude can't dribble and can't shoot....yet even when he was in Boston I loved when he was on the floor. He would always do at least SOMETHING to help the team. offensive rebound, a put back dunk, a steal.....he worked so damn hard. Romeo looks like he's on cruise control at all times...like "eh, I'm here". I see no fight in him. Nesmith has fight......but he plays too fast......shoot, I got it! Let's somehow combine Romeo & Nesmith into 1 guy! he would be awesome

Doesn't matter. Celtics are not going to play either. Play them or trade them before it's too late. Pick a path!

Return to Boston Celtics