Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,046

Reasonable vs. Irrational 

Post#21 » by Wammy Giveaway » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:42 pm

Read on Twitter

I'm reading the comments section, and the takeaway is this:

Fischer: George could end up missing the season alongside Leonard, so Clippers may look into punting the season.

Clipper fans: HOW DARE YOU SAY SUCH VILE THINGS! We got youth, chemistry, veterans, the best coach in Tyronn Lue, the best front office in Lawrence Frank*, the best owner in Steve Ballmer. AND Kawhi Leonard, remember him - he's coming back this year! But oh no, you want us to MISS THE PLAYOFFS so that the Thunder can steal a no. 1 draft pick WHILE MAKING THE PLAYOFFS OVER US!!! That's not gonna happen, bub, just you wait and see! WE'RE GONNA MAKE THE PLAYOFFS COME INJURIES OR SCHEDULE, AND THERE'S NOT A SINGLE THING YOU CAN DO TO STOP US FROM GETTING THERE! YOU HAVE INCURRED MY WRATH, AND YOU SHALL BE PUNISHED FOR DISRESPECTING THE LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS! MUA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA...

* It's actually Jerry West, but with his presence he helps make anyone in the front office look good.

If George is out for the season, the Clippers are going to need to dig deep into their Revenge Of The Role Players season of 2019 to really stay alive.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Re: PG out. Will be re-evaluated in 3-4 weeks 

Post#22 » by nickhx2 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:04 pm

such a dorky article. basically it's this:

a guy looks at the state of the team and poses that they COULD be sellers at the deadline, then he goes and finds outsider opinions/sources to prop this COULD-be idea. in the article there is no source from the team saying they want to be sellers. it's outside executives, and some random, detached source with "knowledge" of kawhi's thinking. all adding up to a clickbait article.
clipsfever
Junior
And1: 150

Post#23 » by clipsfever » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:09 pm

Hate B/R, but to boil it down to a few points:

"Shedding Ibaka's $9.7 million salary alone would save the Clippers over $40 million in tax penalties." (And/or Bledsoe, then even more.)

This being a "gap year" was always the plan

The Clips can still add in $3.3mil in Ballmer-cash to another trade(s) this season.

Keeping Bledsoe into the off-season is also an option, his salary doesn't fully guarantee for 2022-2023 until July 10, which is after the FA market opens and thus overall offers plenty of trade potential
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#24 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:52 pm

There is no news tbh. Yes PG13 might not return this season but that possibility was there on the christmas night as well. This is just like a couple days ago Kawhi report from Haynes. Someone just get bored wanted to have some hits.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#25 » by Goner » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:33 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:There is no news tbh. Yes PG13 might not return this season but that possibility was there on the christmas night as well. This is just like a couple days ago Kawhi report from Haynes. Someone just get bored wanted to have some hits.

Yeah, this does kinda smell like gamesmanship from the FO to make us look like sellers.
Bulls2021
Pro Prospect
And1: 544

Post#26 » by Bulls2021 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:48 am

So clippers bros, what's it gonna take to get Batum and possibly Ibaka? Bulls can take Batum for only picks with our TPE. I'm assuming he opts out next year, so no reason to keep him.
clipsfever
Junior
And1: 150

Post#27 » by clipsfever » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:05 pm

Not sure Batum is available, he's sorta "family" already and fits a "title run" roster for next season...

But Ibaka for D Jones Jr's expiring salary and a late pick seems to make a lot of sense (especially if Jones' injury is serious), and the salaries match nearly exactly... but we might also want to throw Justise Winslow into that TPE to lower our tax bill
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#28 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:43 pm

i doubt the team wants to move batum, and i'd say they consider him integral to future playoff runs. he's just that important.

serge i could see being moved, though. the team needs to make space for hartenstein, and i'm sure they don't want to see him unhappy if he gets relegated to spot usage again.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,631

Post#29 » by KL2 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:09 pm

If he’s out 3 more weeks to the day it’ll be 2 days before the trade deadline. Interesting.

Read on Twitter
?cxt=HHwWisCo0fLSzZYpAAAA
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#30 » by Clemenza » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:46 pm

Just shut him down for the season
KL2
Analyst

Post#31 » by KL2 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:32 am

You have to assume the rest is helping but just not enough yet. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the extra time is right after the big road trip/toughest part of schedule and right before the deadline.

If the team can hang on around the 7-8 seed then maybe George returns after the all-star break. Get that nice boost then Leonard maybe returns in March.

Or if it’s a train wreck of a trip, George isn’t responding as well, then you have decisions to make at the deadline.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,802

Post#32 » by esqtvd » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:33 am

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#33 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:01 am

KL2 wrote:You have to assume the rest is helping but just not enough yet. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the extra time is right after the big road trip/toughest part of schedule and right before the deadline.

If the team can hang on around the 7-8 seed then maybe George returns after the all-star break. Get that nice boost then Leonard maybe returns in March.

Or if it’s a train wreck of a trip, George isn’t responding as well, then you have decisions to make at the deadline.

Yes. This is kind of good news that PG shows improvements on his elbow, otherwise woj would be tweeting something like "his elbow doesn't heel and LAC considering surgery to repair it that shuts him down for the remainder of the season."

Also, the vets are notified that save your season in the next 2 weeks or you gone.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
KL2
Analyst

Post#34 » by KL2 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:32 pm

Batum gave an update on both Leonard and George.

Read on Twitter
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#35 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:50 pm

It's not going to kill me if it happens, because to be honest it is what it is. I think this article is more speculation than anything else though.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/01/25/paul-george-clippers-elbow-surgery-potentially-miss-season

Surgery reportedly remains an option for Los Angeles Clippers star Paul George as he tries to recover from a torn ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) in his right elbow.

ESPN's Brian Windhorst reported the update Tuesday on The Hoop Collective podcast (55-minute mark).

"It's almost like I'm waiting for bad news on Paul George because they just, you know—it sounds like surgery is a real option there, and if he has that, he's done for the year," Windhorst said.
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 761

Post#36 » by donemilio21 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:35 am

madmaxmedia wrote:It's not going to kill me if it happens, because to be honest it is what it is. I think this article is more speculation than anything else though.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/01/25/paul-george-clippers-elbow-surgery-potentially-miss-season

Surgery reportedly remains an option for Los Angeles Clippers star Paul George as he tries to recover from a torn ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) in his right elbow.

ESPN's Brian Windhorst reported the update Tuesday on The Hoop Collective podcast (55-minute mark).

"It's almost like I'm waiting for bad news on Paul George because they just, you know—it sounds like surgery is a real option there, and if he has that, he's done for the year," Windhorst said.

A surgery to repair UCL would mean he'd be out not only rest of this season, but potentially a good chunk of next season too.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#37 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:04 am

Well hopefully he and Kawhi still have a shot of coming back this season.

If we can win at Indy tomorrow, I think we are gonna make the play in even if they don’t come back. It may end up a ‘moral victory’ type season anyway, but after Kawhi’s injury that was looking like the best case scenario- before we lost PG.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#38 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:01 am

donemilio21 wrote:A surgery to repair UCL would mean he'd be out not only rest of this season, but potentially a good chunk of next season too.

I think it depends on the procedure?

The hope is that George can recover without surgery so that he is available for the end of the regular season and the playoffs. Nicholson says that he can’t recall any basketball player who has ever had to have reconstruction surgery on the UCL, which is known as Tommy John surgery in baseball. However, a partial tear can be treated with a surgical repair and an internal brace to stabilize the ligament. That type of procedure would most likely would keep George out six months, which isn’t an ideal outcome either.

https://www.clipsnation.com/2022/1/21/22893845/la-clippers-news-paul-george-ucl-injury-repair-rehab-surgery-timetable
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,802

Post#39 » by esqtvd » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:13 am

madmaxmedia wrote:Well hopefully he and Kawhi still have a shot of coming back this season.

If we can win at Indy tomorrow, I think we are gonna make the play in even if they don’t come back. It may end up a ‘moral victory’ type season anyway, but after Kawhi’s injury that was looking like the best case scenario- before we lost PG.

And now again we have a team of kids playing good ball, just like Doc's no All-Star playoff team.

Then that next year, the 2019-2020 team never found its identity on the court, especially with the 'load management' BS. And PRIVATE DRESSING ROOMS for the two new superstars??!! And it never found its grit, its personality either, so when Trezz lost his mojo both physically and mentally, we crashed and burned. [Lou's lemon chicken episode didn't help either.]

I do think those errors will not be repeated-- but doubts do niggle. It's not even if will they fit with the kids--after leading us to the WCFs, PandemicP is hopefully gone for good and Kawhi can fit in anywhere [SEE: Raptors].

So it's not whether the Clippers are a better team without Kawhi or PG, but with Kawhi AND PG..? Did they ever really learn how to play with each other?

If we can pull this off this year, THAT will be the rest of the story. The supporting cast is ready to do their part.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#40 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:33 pm

esqtvd wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:Well hopefully he and Kawhi still have a shot of coming back this season.

And now again we have a team of kids playing good ball, just like Doc's no All-Star playoff team.

Then that next year, the 2019-2020 team never found its identity on the court, especially with the 'load management' BS. And PRIVATE DRESSING ROOMS for the two new superstars??!! And it never found its grit, its personality either, so when Trezz lost his mojo both physically and mentally, we crashed and burned. [Lou's lemon chicken episode didn't help either.]

I do think those errors will not be repeated-- but doubts do niggle. It's not even if will they fit with the kids--after leading us to the WCFs, PandemicP is hopefully gone for good and Kawhi can fit in anywhere [SEE: Raptors].

So it's not whether the Clippers are a better team without Kawhi or PG, but with Kawhi AND PG..? Did they ever really learn how to play with each other?

If we can pull this off this year, THAT will be the rest of the story. The supporting cast is ready to do their part.

I'd say last year's playoffs is where our current roster finally learned how to really play together, and battle through adversity- not only losing Kawhi, but a couple of 2-0 deficits as well. The team hasn't wilted last year or this year, and seems to really respond well to adversity and the underdog role. Ty is doing a great job with lineups and generally putting the team in the best position to win.

I also believe we will hear (and see) all the right things from PG and Kawhi as each approaches returning to court. In particular, Paul got his ego knocked down a couple of pegs after 2019/20 (for good reason), but he has responded really well and seems to recognizes (and now embrace) true vs. assumed leadership.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers