RealGM
And1: 18,934

Blazer Rumors Roundup 2022 

Post#1 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:19 pm

Read on Twitter

https://omny.fm/shows/dirt-sprague/brian-windhorst-1-13-22

Let the ideas fly...

Turner and LeVert for CJ and picks?

My guess is KP would want Simons, and maybe even Little though. Doubt he wants a "fair" trade with the Blazers, he probably wants to take the team to the cleaners and he wants someone who can become a long-term star, which Simons has a better future than CJ obviously just considering age.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM

Re: Windhorst (on 1080 The Fan): Blazers Interested in Myles Turner 

Post#2 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:27 pm

Other notes:

NBA execs saying the word around the league is the Blazers are not interested in a full tear-down rebuild, but retrofits around Lillard.

Blazers more interested in tanking for a year vs trying to make the play-in just to get knocked out in the first round.

Blazers are in a good spot because they are sellers (RoCo, CJ, Nurk) in a year where not many teams are sellers at the deadline.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Post#3 » by Norm2953 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:48 pm

I've long given up on Portland/Indiana ever doing to a trade together for its amazing to see these personal
animosities get in the way of doing business.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Post#4 » by Case2012 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:33 pm

Joe Cronin and Pritchard are fairly close, KP hired him and took him under his wing and called to congratulate him when he was promoted…. PA passed away…. I think the hatched is buried.

I think the deal will be some combo of Nurk, Roco and Ant with maybe some draft considerations going either way. My guess is it will be a 3 team deal.
Instagram: @casetwelve
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#5 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:42 pm

I love Turner, but really dont like Caris (Who is just another ball stopping chuckster IMO).

Maybe IND wants to stay relevant and likes the idea of CJ adn Brogdan in the backcourt? I would do CJ + Vet Min Deal for Turner + Lamb personally.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#6 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:45 pm

Case2012 wrote:Joe Cronin and Pritchard are fairly close, KP hired him and took him under his wing and called to congratulate him when he was promoted…. PA passed away…. I think the hatched is buried.

I think the deal will be some combo of Nurk, Roco and Ant with maybe some draft considerations going either way. My guess is it will be a 3 team deal.

Yeah, while I definitely think the animosity between KP and the previous Blazers regime was real, I question if it’s still happening. No one knows what’s happening behind closed doors, but it was telling that Pritchard gave such a long and glowing interview to Jason Quick and Cronin recently. Definitely would seem to suggest that the ice has melted some in that regard… but who knows.

Not sure how I feel about the idea of trading Simons for Turner. I like Turner well enough but I guess just kinda like-warm on him as an impact player… he does improve the Blazers athleticism tho. But if the Blazers are trading their blue-chip pieces, I definitely want higher level return. On the flip side tho, Turner seems like more of a player who Billups wants. He’s also still pretty young and leads the league in blocks, soooo yeah… I donno.
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,192

Post#7 » by BNM » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:47 pm

I wonder if IND is looking to dump salary. POR has a LOT of expiring contracts, at all positions, of sizes from vet min to RocCo at almost $13 million and Nurk at $12 million. Maybe one or two expiring contracts + Nassir Little for Turner gives IND some cap relief this summer and an emerging cheap young player they can evaluate this season and next to see if they want to keep him long term.

I suppose it all depends on what other teams are offering. We have the expiring contracts to also take back another significant contract if IND is serious about cutting salary.

Turner is exactly the type of big that would play well next to Simmons. Turner attempts 4.4 3FG/G, so can help provide some of the spacing you lose with Simmons. The upgrade on defense with Turner at the 5 and Simmons at the 4 would be huge, and would give POR one of the best defensive frontcourts in the league.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#8 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:47 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I love Turner, but really dont like Caris (Who is just another ball stopping chuckster IMO).

Maybe IND wants to stay relevant and likes the idea of CJ adn Brogdan in the backcourt? I would do CJ + Vet Min Deal for Turner + Lamb personally.

My guess is Indy would want Simons over CJ. Don’t think they would have interest in CJ for Turner as the cornerstone of a trade. Simons is younger, better upside and chance to resign him at a cheaper rate.

Myles also is only 25 tho. I think he is who he is at this point, but that’s a solid player. He’s a FA soon tho, so if you make that trade, you need to get him extended quickly so he doesn’t leave after next season.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#9 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:55 pm

BNM wrote:I wonder if IND is looking to dump salary. POR has a LOT of expiring contracts, at all positions, of sizes from vet min to RocCo at almost $13 million and Nurk at $12 million. Maybe one or two expiring contracts + Nassir Little for Turner gives IND some cap relief this summer and an emerging cheap young player they can evaluate this season and next to see if they want to keep him long term.

I suppose it all depends on what other teams are offering. We have the expiring contracts to also take back another significant contract if IND is serious about cutting salary.

Turner is exactly the type of big that would play well next to Simmons. Turner attempts 4.4 3FG/G, so can help provide some of the spacing you lose with Simmons. The upgrade on defense with Turner at the 5 and Simmons at the 4 would be huge, and would give POR one of the best defensive frontcourts in the league.

Again, I think there’s no world where portland can get Turner while keeping Simons. Hope I’m wrong, but if I’m KP, that would be my demands.

KP just recently did an interview saying how important it is they find a new star to build with, Simons fits that bill as a potential budding star with “it” potential. Simons fits that bill, Little doesn’t and CJ did but that time has passed.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#10 » by Village Idiot » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:57 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:I love Turner, but really dont like Caris (Who is just another ball stopping chuckster IMO).

My guess is Indy would want Simons over CJ. Don’t think they would have interest in CJ for Turner as the cornerstone of a trade. Simons is younger, better upside and chance to resign him at a cheaper rate.

Myles also is only 25 tho. I think he is who he is at this point, but that’s a solid player. He’s a FA soon tho, so if you make that trade, you need to get him extended quickly so he doesn’t leave after next season.
Interesting I was at the game when the Pacers visited Portland and sat right behind our bench. From Chauncey's body language and facial expressions I got the very clear impression that he felt Nurk is an exasperating drama queen and Turner was a guy who's game he liked.

I wouldn't have any issues with Simons and RoCo for Turner. If we're going to build around Dame we don't need Simons nor do we need to hold him back. It also gives the additional benefit of getting CJ back into the spotlight for the rest of the season and gives him a chance to show what he can do as the unequivocal leader of a team.

If we do trade for Turner I really hope we have something lined up to off-load Nurk cause you just know he's going to get pouty.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#11 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:52 pm

I think we are being a bit too rosy on our evaluation of Simons based on a super small sample size. He is still a scoring guard who doesnt get to the line, doesnt create and is really poor on defense (The whole team sucks here as we are both low in plus defenders and dont have any chemistry either, but Anfernee is posting a near unheard of negative DWS at -0.1)

Teams are more likely to see him as a complimentary starter if they have the defense to sandwich between him (IE Plus defenders at PG + SF) or a nice young 6th man than a building block, future star.

There is a good argument to be made that Simons is on track to be a rich mans Buddy Hield with a much better attitude than there is that he is some type of late blooming top-3 option type player. (And a rich mans Hield who doesnt ball stop is a much better fit next to Dame tha CJ, so I am not saying that is a bad trajectory perse)

I think the general dumpster fire of a season we have had is causing us to lean HARD into the only bright spot, Simons scoring improvement, and lose a bit of our footing in reality. We need something to cling to, right now its Anfernee.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#12 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:53 pm

I'd be really surprised if you had to give Simons to get Myles Turner, his value's not that high. Nurkic, Nas Little and a protected 1st..
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#13 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:05 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:I'd be really surprised if you had to give Simons to get Myles Turner, his value's not that high. Nurkic, Nas Little and a protected 1st..

If the Blazers can swing that, I’d be happy… just don’t buy it tho. He’s only 25 and has led the league in blocks for multiple years, including right now. Only thing that should be holding back his value is his contract situation.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#14 » by Village Idiot » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:06 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:I'd be really surprised if you had to give Simons to get Myles Turner, his value's not that high. Nurkic, Nas Little and a protected 1st..
I actually have Little, Nurk and a 1st as being worth more than Simons and Roco but a lot of that is based on the assumption that Lillard is staying. Note also that Nassir Little is really highly regarded. He's really starting to put it together and Portland could really use a quality, young, cost-controlled 3 and D wing. The Portland staff have done a fantastic job developing both Simons and Little.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#15 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:36 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I think we are being a bit too rosy on our evaluation of Simons based on a super small sample size. He is still a scoring guard who doesnt get to the line, doesnt create and is really poor on defense (The whole team sucks here as we are both low in plus defenders and dont have any chemistry either, but Anfernee is posting a near unheard of negative DWS at -0.1)

Teams are more likely to see him as a complimentary starter if they have the defense to sandwich between him (IE Plus defenders at PG + SF) or a nice young 6th man than a building block, future star.

There is a good argument to be made that Simons is on track to be a rich mans Buddy Hield with a much better attitude than there is that he is some type of late blooming top-3 option type player. (And a rich mans Hield who doesnt ball stop is a much better fit next to Dame tha CJ, so I am not saying that is a bad trajectory perse)

I think the general dumpster fire of a season we have had is causing us to lean HARD into the only bright spot, Simons scoring improvement, and lose a bit of our footing in reality. We need something to cling to, right now its Anfernee.

What anyone thinks of Simons' long-term potential is a bit irrelevant. The NBA is a "what have you done for me lately" league. Simons, more than any other Blazer, has done the most with his increased role and is showing the kind of growth you would hope to see out of a player that could potentially be a real building block for a team. That part is undeniable. Whether he becomes a Ja Morant-lite or a rich mans Buddy Heild is anyones guess.

If you read KP's interview, he talks about finding a player with that "it" quality. All it takes is one team to think Simons has that "it" quality. That's entirely in the eye of the beholder. I think it's fair to assume some GM's may see that in him. If KP does, then there's no question he's going to demand Simons in return for Turner.

Of the assets the Blazers have for trade, he's clearly the shiniest to other teams given his age, potential, and current play. Little probably is a close second. If the Blazers has their 1st round pick able to trade, that would probably be the biggest asset atm... but thanks to Olshey... that's not in the cards currently.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#16 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:02 pm

DusterBuster wrote:

If the Blazers can swing that, I’d be happy… just don’t buy it tho. He’s only 25 and has led the league in blocks for multiple years, including right now. Only thing that should be holding back his value is his contract situation.

Indiana has tried to trade him for years and hasn't liked any of the offers. A number of teams have been interested. Out of Boston, the word was that Ainge turned down the Hayward sign and trade specifically because he was concerned about what he'd be able to flip Turner for if he wanted to. Maybe this is the year teams bid the price up, but it's also the year Indiana is likely to decide they're better off just taking him out of the mix.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#17 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:03 pm

Turner/Warren for McCollum actually makes some sense to me from the outside..
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#18 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:16 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:I think we are being a bit too rosy on our evaluation of Simons based on a super small sample size. He is still a scoring guard who doesnt get to the line, doesnt create and is really poor on defense (The whole team sucks here as we are both low in plus defenders and dont have any chemistry either, but Anfernee is posting a near unheard of negative DWS at -0.1)

What anyone thinks of Simons' long-term potential is a bit irrelevant. The NBA is a "what have you done for me lately" league. Simons, more than any other Blazer, has done the most with his increased role and is showing the kind of growth you would hope to see out of a player that could potentially be a real building block for a team. That part is undeniable. Whether he becomes a Ja Morant-lite or a rich mans Buddy Heild is anyones guess.

If you read KP's interview, he talks about finding a player with that "it" quality. All it takes is one team to think Simons has that "it" quality. That's entirely in the eye of the beholder. I think it's fair to assume some GM's may see that in him. If KP does, then there's no question he's going to demand Simons in return for Turner.

Of the assets the Blazers have for trade, he's clearly the shiniest to other teams given his age, potential, and current play. Little probably is a close second. If the Blazers has their 1st round pick able to trade, that would probably be the biggest asset atm... but thanks to Olshey... that's not in the cards currently.

I dont understand how you see 'it' in Simons. He is a shooter that is hitting his shots as of late. He still has an abysmal FTr, doesnt regularily play guys open and is a sieve on defense by any and all advanced metrics.

I like the kid, like his quiet and professional demeanor. But the idea that he can develop into a Ja'lite caliber guy would hinge on development of traits that are now weaknesses (Passing, defense, getting to the line) in a way that is near unprecedented. Simons has taken what he is good at, hitting the 3, attacking when closed out, stepping in for the mid J when closed out, and become better at them. But I just dont see the argument where he is literally adding new elements to his skillset, which is what it would take to move from 4-5th starter / 6th man to legit building block.

That isnt to say I wouldnt pay him. I think there is a good shot he could be the 4th offensive option on a good PO team (Assuming the other guys play D).
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#19 » by DusterBuster » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:23 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

I dont understand how you see 'it' in Simons. He is a shooter that is hitting his shots as of late. He still has an abysmal FTr, doesnt regularily play guys open and is a sieve on defense by any and all advanced metrics.

I like the kid, like his quiet and professional demeanor. But the idea that he can develop into a Ja'lite caliber guy would hinge on development of traits that are now weaknesses (Passing, defense, getting to the line) in a way that is near unprecedented. Simons has taken what he is good at, hitting the 3, attacking when closed out, stepping in for the mid J when closed out, and become better at them. But I just dont see the argument where he is literally adding new elements to his skillset, which is what it would take to move from 4-5th starter / 6th man to legit building block.

That isnt to say I wouldnt pay him. I think there is a good shot he could be the 4th offensive option on a good PO team (Assuming the other guys play D).

You're overthinking this and splitting hairs my dude... switch to decafe.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Post#20 » by Case2012 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:29 pm

At the deadline

For the record, I’m a Simons believer and to me his value is equal to Turner but making the contracts work is tricky.

Simons, Roco Future pick swap for Turner

Nurkic and Little plus future pick for Grant

Draft night

CJ plus our pick in the 4-8 range for Simmons

Next year

Dame
Powell
Simmons
Grant
Turner

Let me dream
Instagram: @casetwelve