ImageImageImage

Trade Ideas

Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Re: Trade ideas 

Post#181 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:00 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:With the Atlanta reset, is a deal for DeAndre Hunter viable or cost prohibitive?

Why'd you call it a reset?

As far as I know, they're just clearing up a log jam everyone expected them to clear up and avoiding having to worry about Reddish's next contract.

Presumably Hunter is still in their plans unless someone wants to send them someone better/healthier for him. It would be kind of sweet to end up with both Hunter and Garland, but his ongoing inability to be on the floor is a concern for us too ... and he played so well when he was healthy surely the cost would be high unless somehow his contract just broke free in a big deal.

And if this move was a precursor to a Simmons deal, well, maybe Philly would prefer someone ready to help them now ... but that's going to be some kind of deal to pull that off. We'd likely have to eat Tobias Harris for starters, probably send them Lauri and Ricky, but that's not enough to get us Hunter too I can't imagine.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#182 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:12 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:With the Atlanta reset, is a deal for DeAndre Hunter viable or cost prohibitive?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Seems like they picked their horse there, no?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,605

Post#183 » by toooskies » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:32 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

Seems like they picked their horse there, no?

Yeah, I don't see a reason for Atlanta to move Hunter unless there's a second move coming that uses the pick.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#184 » by KuruptedCav » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:39 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

As far as I know, they're just clearing up a log jam everyone expected them to clear up and avoiding having to worry about Reddish's next contract.

Presumably Hunter is still in their plans unless someone wants to send them someone better/healthier for him. It would be kind of sweet to end up with both Hunter and Garland, but his ongoing inability to be on the floor is a concern for us too ... and he played so well when he was healthy surely the cost would be high unless somehow his contract just broke free in a big deal.

And if this move was a precursor to a Simmons deal, well, maybe Philly would prefer someone ready to help them now ... but that's going to be some kind of deal to pull that off. We'd likely have to eat Tobias Harris for starters, probably send them Lauri and Ricky, but that's not enough to get us Hunter too I can't imagine.

The Jake Fischer piece saying that anyone on the Hawks not named Trae Young or Clint Capela are available.

That type of language usually means a number of dominos are falling.

JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#185 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:27 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The Jake Fischer piece saying that anyone on the Hawks not named Trae Young or Clint Capela are available.

Ahh, my interpretation was more along the lines that their GM is clearly unhappy with how the season is going and is willing to shake things up, but that doesn't necessarily mean a fire sale so much as trying to make a bid for Ben Simmons or similar big trade.

In theory they could decide having someone who can actually play is better than Hunter, but that seems like a leap. I'd see his return as important to righting their ship.

Hey, they can always fire their coach again ... :lol:
KuruptedCav
Analyst

Post#186 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:10 am

JonFromVA wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Ahh, my interpretation was more along the lines that their GM is clearly unhappy with how the season is going and is willing to shake things up, but that doesn't necessarily mean a fire sale so much as trying to make a bid for Ben Simmons or similar big trade.

In theory they could decide having someone who can actually play is better than Hunter, but that seems like a leap. I'd see his return as important to righting their ship.

Hey, they can always fire their coach again ... :lol:

Yeah, I figured they’d breaking and shaking. But you’re prob right. Shaking some pieces settles others.

LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#187 » by LivingLegend » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:00 pm

How much smoke is around Lavert? He is not my #1 choice but dumping Rubio for him seems ill-advised.

Ive been begging to get a guy like Rubio on this team since 2007 and we finally have one (albeit hes injured) and we want to dump him for a average player who would fight for mins with Okoro/Stevens/Cedi?

I just dont see it as a clear enough upgrade to basically demote Okoro/Stevens.

This offense/team fires on all cylinders when Garland/Rubio are on the court together. I would like to continue that for the next 3 years or so until Rubio is fried. His impact on this team is immeasurable as we have seen the Cavs struggle to win games against bad teams since his injury and the defenses can hone in on Garland.

I would much rather package Sexton + protected 1st for a good player rather than getting rid of Rubio.

The question is.....what could we get for Sexton + protected 1st? It better be somebody better than Lavert lol
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#188 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:25 pm

LivingLegend wrote:How much smoke is around Lavert? He is not my #1 choice but dumping Rubio for him seems ill-advised.

Ive been begging to get a guy like Rubio on this team since 2007 and we finally have one (albeit hes injured) and we want to dump him for a average player who would fight for mins with Okoro/Stevens/Cedi?

This offense/team fires on all cylinders when Garland/Rubio are on the court together. I would like to continue that for the next 3 years or so until Rubio is fried. His impact on this team is immeasurable as we have seen the Cavs struggle to win games against bad teams since his injury and the defenses can hone in on Garland.

I would much rather package Sexton + protected 1st for a good player rather than getting rid of Rubio.

The question is.....what could we get for Sexton + protected 1st? It better be somebody better than Lavert lol

If Sexton had a higher salary to match with the players then sure, but the problem is that any trade involving Sexton + protected 1st to get a better player would likely still include someone like Rubio to match salaries. Also Sexton is a better version of LeVert, just shorter. The Cavs aren't winning a title this year unless they avoid bad match-ups the entire run, so they'd be better off just letting the guys learn and then next year making a move at the deadline if they are still competitive. Also the only reason it makes sense to trade Rubio now is if they don't plan on trying to resign him in the offseason.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#189 » by LivingLegend » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:20 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:How much smoke is around Lavert? He is not my #1 choice but dumping Rubio for him seems ill-advised.

If Sexton had a higher salary to match with the players then sure, but the problem is that any trade involving Sexton + protected 1st to get a better player would likely still include someone like Rubio to match salaries. Also Sexton is a better version of LeVert, just shorter. The Cavs aren't winning a title this year unless they avoid bad match-ups the entire run, so they'd be better off just letting the guys learn and then next year making a move at the deadline if they are still competitive. Also the only reason it makes sense to trade Rubio now is if they don't plan on trying to resign him in the offseason.

I mean, I am perfectly fine letting Okoro/Stevens/Windler get all of the PT and staying pat.

The problem is people are impatient with development. Odds are, if you give those 3 players significant mins for a year or two, ONE of them is going to take off and turn into a real player.

Good news is...... The last 4 games Windler has played since his G-League stint (even the whopping 4 mins he is given) he is 6/12 from 3 for 50%. Its time to...ahem...give him some actual mins. There is no reason Stevens should be getting starters mins and Windler still cant even crack the normal rotation for 10 mins per game with Okoro out.

I will still say, the handling of Windler has been strange...its almost like they are trying to suppress him but for some reason every other scrub in the world like Lamar Stevens, Kevin Pangos and Brandon Goodwin get legitimate PT.

Its just.....baffling. Free Dylan Windler for godsake.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#190 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:57 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I mean, I am perfectly fine letting Okoro/Stevens/Windler get all of the PT and staying pat.

The problem is people are impatient with development. Odds are, if you give those 3 players significant mins for a year or two, ONE of them is going to take off and turn into a real player.

Good news is...... The last 4 games Windler has played since his G-League stint (even the whopping 4 mins he is given) he is 6/12 from 3 for 50%. Its time to...ahem...give him some actual mins. There is no reason Stevens should be getting starters mins and Windler still cant even crack the normal rotation for 10 mins per game with Okoro out.

I will still say, the handling of Windler has been strange...its almost like they are trying to suppress him but for some reason every other scrub in the world like Lamar Stevens, Kevin Pangos and Brandon Goodwin get legitimate PT.

I mean if the Cavs had a better match-up vs the Bucks, 76ers, and a healthy Heat team then I could understand making a big move, but right now I don't see the Cavs having more than a 30% chance of beating any of those teams in a playoff series.

Also I would love if one of those 3 players really took off. That means they are either going to be big in a championship run or able to be used in a trade for a player that will. Also I agree Windler definitely needs another look. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the Cavs brought in someone like Ochai Agbaji in the draft that would replace Windler in his role as a similar type of player but younger and without the injury history.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#191 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:20 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I mean if the Cavs had a better match-up vs the Bucks, 76ers, and a healthy Heat team then I could understand making a big move, but right now I don't see the Cavs having more than a 30% chance of beating any of those teams in a playoff series.

Also I would love if one of those 3 players really took off. That means they are either going to be big in a championship run or able to be used in a trade for a player that will. Also I agree Windler definitely needs another look. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the Cavs brought in someone like Ochai Agbaji in the draft that would replace Windler in his role as a similar type of player but younger and without the injury history.

I think 30% against the Bucks is overstating it. There aren't really shortcuts for development. As good as he is, Mobley still makes rookie mistakes and is still in a 20 year old body. No one on our team can set even a halfway decent screen, and if they can, it's clearly not a priority for them. You play three guys 21 or younger in the postseason, and there are going to be unforced errors. The Cavs could benefit from some knock down shooters, but I'm very skeptical that knock down shooters alone turn us into true contenders. We're not ready for the physicality of the playoffs.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#192 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:07 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

I think 30% against the Bucks is overstating it. There aren't really shortcuts for development. As good as he is, Mobley still makes rookie mistakes and is still in a 20 year old body. No one on our team can set even a halfway decent screen, and if they can, it's clearly not a priority for them. You play three guys 21 or younger in the postseason, and there are going to be unforced errors. The Cavs could benefit from some knock down shooters, but I'm very skeptical that knock down shooters alone turn us into true contenders. We're not ready for the physicality of the playoffs.

30% was the max for any of the three, aka Heat/76ers, I put the Cavs at maybe 10% for beating the Bucks. Just a horrible match-up until Mobley gets the strength to properly defend Giannis.
KuruptedCav
Analyst

Post#193 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:21 pm

With how tight Altman has played everything to the best since Kyrie, I doubt LeVert is a real target. But the rumors being out there are good for both the Cavs and the Pacers, so it simmers.

Windler is a talented shooter, but the fit is weird on court because while he has the size, speed, etc. but seems to get pushed from his spot and pushed around on defense. He becomes overpaid next year.

Cavs aren’t ready for a big move. The Cavs need seasoning and at least a full off-season of conditioning, practice, etc. to develop. They also need those pressure games for playoff seeding and rough matchups right there.

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#194 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:23 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:With how tight Altman has played everything to the best since Kyrie, I doubt LeVert is a real target. But the rumors being out there are good for both the Cavs and the Pacers, so it simmers.

Windler is a talented shooter, but the fit is weird on court because while he has the size, speed, etc. but seems to get pushed from his spot and pushed around on defense. He becomes overpaid next year.

Cavs aren’t ready for a big move. The Cavs need seasoning and at least a full off-season of conditioning, practice, etc. to develop. They also need those pressure games for playoff seeding and rough matchups right there.

I really hope you're right on LeVert. Maybe brings the asking price down on another target. But Windler still has another year on a rookie contract, and unless he's considerably more available than he has been to date, his RFA offers will underwhelm in 2023.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#195 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:32 pm

Revenged25 wrote:

I'm not enthralled with LeVert but he does check some important boxes in that he can create offense, create his own shot, and as a scorer is better than Rubio ... and he's not a PG that would be trying to play SG ... he is a combo guard with solid height/length.

He's also run point before if we decide we like how that looks, or he can be paired with Rondo when Garland is sitting. And if you're looking for a connection, it's that he and Allen played together in Brooklyn and are presumably friendly/friends.

Also trading Rubio does not prevent us from re-signing him this Summer (or after he recovers), it just means we can't use Bird rights. In fact, if he's not ready to play well in to next season we can incentivize him re-signing with us by committing to him before he's recovered. We should have all the medical information to at least consider taking calculated risk that other teams may not. Double ACL surgery to the same knee is going to scare teams off of a player with a lot of mileage.

If the price is right, I'd love to see Altman try to shore up the roster. There's plenty of reasons why we may not be ready to make any noise in the post season, but things don't always happen as you expect; and failing to exploit an opportunity because we didn't bother to make some small tweaks would be sad.

Also, in every possible way these guys are hitting well above their weight and a playoff series often comes down to how the refs decide to call the games. The faster we gain the respect of the refs in comparison to that of our opponent in a series - the faster we will make a dent in the playoffs. The seed is being planted ... the idea that Mobley and Allen can't be scored on in the paint is growing.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#196 » by LivingLegend » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:02 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

We have a knockdown shooter on our roster and we refuse to play him even though they invested a FRP into him. So I find it hard to believe the Cavs are going to shell out any major asset for a shooter in a trade.

All Im asking for is a 20-25 game stretch with 15 min per night just to simply see what you have in him. Thats all Im asking.

If this team has mins for Stevens (UDFA), Goodwin (UDFA), Valentine (Was out of the NBA) and Pangos (No NBA Exp)...then they sure as hell can find 10-15 mins a night for your former FRP going into his final year next season.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,831

Post#197 » by mcfly1204 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:37 pm

I would really like to resign Rubio, and I can't get over the fact that we only got to see Sexton for 11 games with this group. Hopefully Okoro can get healthy, because this feels like the ideal situation for him to develop. All that said, if a great opportunity arises, where we can bring in an All-Star-caliber wing (who can shoot, sorry, Ben...), all 3 of them would be on the table.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#198 » by Harper4Ferry? » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:39 pm

I feel like Harrison Barnes could be a good fit as a playmaker but it also seems like he hasn’t played at SF/SG in years. Also think we botched the Reddish thing. We don’t necessarily need another rookie next season.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#199 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:23 am

Harper4Ferry? wrote:I feel like Harrison Barnes could be a good fit as a playmaker but it also seems like he hasn’t played at SF/SG in years. Also think we botched the Reddish thing. We don’t necessarily need another rookie next season.

I'm not sure how good Reddish actually is. That pick the Knicks traded is protected to the nth degree. If the Cavs botched it, so did a lot of other teams around the NBA. Whatever was going in Atlanta, they sure did ship out quick. They didn't even wait until the deadline.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
KuruptedCav
Analyst

Post#200 » by KuruptedCav » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:28 am

Harper4Ferry? wrote:I feel like Harrison Barnes could be a good fit as a playmaker but it also seems like he hasn’t played at SF/SG in years. Also think we botched the Reddish thing. We don’t necessarily need another rookie next season.

Outside of an excellent corner 3, what does Reddish bring to the table that Cedi Osman doesn’t already do better?

I personally don’t see him as the type of player who is part of the solution. He’s inefficient on his best day and contributes nothing when his game is off. And once you choose that road, you foreclose others.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers