What is the most the Lakers could get in return for Russell Westbrook?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 313

Re: What is the most the Lakers could get in return for Russell Westbrook? 

Post#41 » by TimeisIllmatic » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:59 pm

planetmars wrote:Kevin Love and Rubio's contract for Westbrook and Nunn.

$49M get passed around.. Cavs get a Sexton replacement. Love goes to LA to play with Lebron again for a couple of years.

K Love has been playing well this year so I don't think even CLE would do it.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,067

Post#42 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:34 pm

TimeisIllmatic wrote:

$49M get passed around.. Cavs get a Sexton replacement. Love goes to LA to play with Lebron again for a couple of years.

They absolutely would not do it. Not a snowball's chance in hell.

This is the problem with Westbrook. He is a chemistry killer on a winning team, and he is potential floor raiser on a tanking team, which costs lottery balls. Nobody wants him.

The only team that might consider taking him is a team that secretly needs to tank for more lotto picks, but doesn't want to tell their fans. Perhaps New York fits this description? They need a PG with Rose out 8 weeks, and they have Fournier's bad salary that they wouldn't mind jettisoning. The problem is, it would still require a 4-for-1 deal. The Knicks wouldn't mind including Kemba with Fournier, but I don't know who else they'd include to get them up to Westbrook's cap number. Burks has been too good to just give away as filler.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 313

Post#43 » by TimeisIllmatic » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:39 pm

nate33 wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:

This is the problem with Westbrook. He is a chemistry killer on a winning team, and he is potential floor raiser on a tanking team, which costs lottery balls. Nobody wants him.

The only team that might consider taking him is a team that secretly needs to tank for more lotto picks, but doesn't want to tell their fans. Perhaps New York fits this description? They need a PG with Rose out 8 weeks, and they have Fournier's bad salary that they wouldn't mind jettisoning. The problem is, it would still require a 4-for-1 deal. The Knicks wouldn't mind including Kemba with Fournier, but I don't know who else they'd include to get them up to Westbrook's cap number. Burks has been too good to just give away as filler.

Westbrook to the NYK would be a good destination, but yeah, Knicks don't have enough contracts to make it work. It would have to be a super complicated multi-team deal which probably isn't worth the headache for the Knicks or Lakers to begin with. Lakers are prioritizing roster space anyways after trading Rondo and releasing Jay Huff yesterday. It's also been rumored they are looking to dump Jordan and Bazemore.
Jack Dempsey
Pro Prospect
And1: 509

Post#44 » by Jack Dempsey » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:51 pm

A buy out?
A WB + picks for Porzingis sounds reasonable as well considering the financial aspect of that deal. If they think they could get Jokic in FA it would be worth it.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,747

Post#45 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:19 pm

Horford, nesmith and Boston 1st, 2 Laker seconds 2nds, 1 laker 1st to Houston (Wood and Theis, Augustine out)

Schroder, Porzingas to Lakers (Westbrook and Picks(1-1st, 2-2nds out)

Westbrook, Wood and Augustine to Dallas (THjr, Brunson, KP out)

Brunson, THjr, Theis to Boston (Horford, Schroder, 1st)
Hoop Heavy
Rookie
And1: 601

Post#46 » by Hoop Heavy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:19 pm

Well ...

I have a couple of cans of corn and a package of hotdog buns that might be a fair swap.

Still, that's what the negotiated limit of his value would be. My opening offer is one can of corn and a package of hotdog buns.
Jazz9
Analyst
And1: 6,482

Post#47 » by Jazz9 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:29 pm

As many already said, they deserve Westbrook and no one should bail them out.

They could have kept the same team as last year and be a contender.
What they did instead was trade their whole depth for a guy they exploited in the playoffs the year before.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#48 » by Catchall » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:49 pm

They'll have to trade him during the off-season to a team with a lot of cap space and attach a FRP or two. The alternative is to take back another bad contract, but there aren't many of that size.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 4,996

Post#49 » by R-DAWG » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:51 pm

TimeisIllmatic wrote:
nate33 wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:

Westbrook to the NYK would be a good destination, but yeah, Knicks don't have enough contracts to make it work. It would have to be a super complicated multi-team deal which probably isn't worth the headache for the Knicks or Lakers to begin with. Lakers are prioritizing roster space anyways after trading Rondo and releasing Jay Huff yesterday. It's also been rumored they are looking to dump Jordan and Bazemore.

Knicks have the contracts to make it work:

Founier, Nerlens Noel and Derrick Rose works under the cap.

They could also sub out Rose with Kemba and Gibson.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 23,795

Post#50 » by NyKnicks1714 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:00 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:
nate33 wrote:They absolutely would not do it. Not a snowball's chance in hell.

It would be a pretty easy trade.

Westbrook, Reaves, vet min guy like Ariza or Bazemore for Fournier/Noel/Kemba/Gibson

No idea why the Knicks would do that though, and it would be a godsend for the Lakers
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 4,996

Post#51 » by R-DAWG » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:01 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:

It would be a pretty easy trade.

Westbrook, Reaves, vet min guy like Ariza or Bazemore for Fournier/Noel/Kemba/Gibson

No idea why the Knicks would do that though, and it would be a godsend for the Lakers

Only reason Knicks would do this would be to get off of the last year of Fournier's deal. Westbrook would likely be bought out.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#52 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:05 pm

No team is taking him mid season.

There is a chance they could attach the 27' and 29' picks to him this offseason in a salary dump (The 29' pick will open up to trade once the 22' draft happens I believe).

The Rockets should jump this offseason and offer Wall + Wood + KPJ for Westbrook + Filler + 2027 FRP (Unprotected) + 2029 FRP (Top-5 Protection)
10DayContract
Starter
And1: 2,267

Post#53 » by 10DayContract » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:10 pm

I'm a Laker fan, why would any team trade for him?
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#54 » by Lalouie » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:13 pm

Egg Nog wrote:Hypothetically...if a trade were to happen...at this moment, what is the most value the Lakers could get in return for Westbook?

I'm just here for the takes, folks

less whining by posters
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,280

Post#55 » by phanman » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:34 pm

lamscott wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:He's probably the most untradable player in the NBA right now, so most likely nothing. No team is going to trade for him because they think he'll help them win, so the Lakers only avenue is to find a team looking to offload an even less desirable contract, and those don't really exist.

KP maybe? 3 years/$101 million vs Westbrook's 2 years/$91 million. It gives Dallas a chance to sign Jokic outright in 2023.

I was thinking about Porzingis as well here.

Nah, they like KP in Dallas and he's finally playing well again under Kidd. Taking the ball out the hands of Doncic to give to Westbrook is just :banghead:
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,000

Post#56 » by jokeboy86 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:41 pm

Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#57 » by Beethoven » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:47 pm

Probably nothing. But I like us to just go forward with going to war w him, where ever that ends up. Im not a fan of making a decision on a big piece and then trying to drastically change things up mid-season, doesnt work. I think the coaching staff has to really reel him in during certain stretches of the game. It is not really about Westbrook , but on how to use him correctly. and making sure he fits well in our schemes, I mean the coaching staff is being paid for this it is on them dam!
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#58 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:22 pm

Beethoven wrote:Probably nothing. But I like us to just go forward with going to war w him, where ever that ends up. Im not a fan of making a decision on a big piece and then trying to drastically change things up mid-season, doesnt work. I think the coaching staff has to really reel him in during certain stretches of the game. It is not really about Westbrook , but on how to use him correctly. and making sure he fits well in our schemes, I mean the coaching staff is being paid for this it is on them dam!

Come one. LBJ isnt letting some coaches belittle his bro Westy. There isnt a chance in hell that happens.

The rot in LA starts with the pecking order. Right now you have two coaches, Vogel and Bron. One draws up plays, the other actually runs the team. Until the hierarchy of command is fixed the team is going nowhere. Its the same in any business.
Clav
Sixth Man
And1: 1,473

Post#59 » by Clav » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:25 pm

I'm having a hard time finding a trade partner this year.

I don't think many western conference teams want to help LAL - Maybe the only one that makes sense is Dallas, but I highly doubt they send Zinger + DFS or Brunson for WB, it just ruins their defensive presence (but the salary is available at least). I would hard-pass from every other WC team.

Eastern conference teams like TOR/BOS/NYK/ORL/CLE may have a passing interest, but overall it doesn't play well for them because of what each team has to give up in return - which amounts to multiple players - or that these teams have their 1 guards for the future.

You could say that NYK and BOS could use a lead guard like WB, but for $40+ M WB isn't the right way to answer that question. Boston has to send a lot, and probably Brown or Horford, whereas the Knicks have to send Fournier and a variety of other pieces - it's not the worst idea ever, but it isn't a championship move.

The most I can generate is Love + pieces / Zinger + pieces / Fournier + pieces and that's iffy.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#60 » by thamadkant » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:35 pm

Sam Presti would probably take him back to OKC but would ask Lakers for 5 First Rounders

Return to The General Board