ImageImageImageImageImage

Dragic

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

howiezbt
Bench Warmer
And1: 60

Dragic 

Post#1 » by howiezbt » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:58 pm

What's the deal with him? Is he coming back or will he get bought out etc?
Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Re: Dragic 

Post#2 » by Raps1103 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:00 pm

In before the clickbait lock !!
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,889

Post#3 » by ItsDanger » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:12 pm

I was told that he was a good acquisition at the time. How things change! Sad.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,748

Post#4 » by Badonkadonk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:16 pm

ItsDanger wrote:I was told that he was a good acquisition at the time. How things change! Sad.

You should be more mindful of who you listen too.

He was salary ballast. Masai wanted Precious, Dragic was necessary player to make that happen.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#5 » by SharoneWright » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:19 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:I was told that he was a good acquisition at the time. How things change! Sad.

He was salary ballast. Masai wanted Precious, Dragic was necessary player to make that happen.

Masai wanted to make Kyle happy by trading him to a contender/South Beach with his friend Jimmy. Masai was taking anything,, but tried to make a deal that included some/any potential.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,748

Post#6 » by Badonkadonk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:23 pm

SharoneWright wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:

Masai wanted to make Kyle happy by trading him to a contender/South Beach with his friend Jimmy. Masai was taking anything,, but tried to make a deal that included some/any potential.

No, that's false. Masai specifically wanted Achiuwa. Masai won't make bad business moves JUST to make a player happy, it's a minor consideration. Business comes first.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
That was his agenda, in his own words.
Raps1103
Veteran
And1: 3,235

Post#7 » by Raps1103 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:25 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:

Literally everyone with a brain knows this … nobody , and I mean nobody .. told this guy that dragic was a good trade .. it was a S&T and we wanted Precious .. and HOPEFULLY, we could move dragic for more pieces afterwards .. or lose Lowry for nothing .. changing the narrative, bulls#%t talking points … it’s what they do…. You can’t take these guys seriously .. they’re allowed to consistently spread negativity and lies, with no ramifications ..
it is what it is
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#8 » by SharoneWright » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:28 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:You should be more mindful of who you listen too.

No, that's false. Masai specifically wanted Achiuwa. Masai won't make bad business moves JUST to make a player happy, it's a minor consideration. Business comes first.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
That was his agenda, in his own words.

There was no market for Kyle. So Masai really had nothing to lose. Precious came with a bit of history/storyline that helped the optics. But like you said, Masai's taking the better talent if there would have been any on the table. I trust Masai's eye for talent too much to believe he targeted Precious. He settled for "some" potential and just flushed any effort to scour the league for a better return because 1. the market for Kyle never emerged and 2. he decided to help Kyle. Anyway, that's my reading.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,673

Post#9 » by VanWest82 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:34 pm

If Raptors continue to play well and the FO decides this team is ready to compete then I could see them packaging a FRP with Dragic to go get some help. That's how his salary is useful.

He's not coming back to the Raptors and no one is trading anything useful for Dragic without a sweetener attached. If that was going to happen it would've happened prior to the season.

If Raptors struggle or guys get injured or we just decide the team isn't ready to push chips in the middle then he'll be bought out.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,003

Post#10 » by kalel123 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:47 pm

SharoneWright wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:

It wasn't all about making Kyle happy. You are giving Ujiri way too little credit. If Ujiri was so hung up on that kind of thing, he would've never traded DeRozan in the first place. If there was a team that was going to offer better value or if Heat wasn't offering anything of value, he would've pulled the trigger with another team.

Not everything works out as you plan and that happens to the best of us. He probably thought Dragic would show enough value and they would be able to trade him. That's no longer the case so they'll probably still try to get what they can out of him and if not, buy him out after the deadline.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#11 » by Indeed » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:59 pm

howiezbt wrote:What's the deal with him? Is he coming back or will he get bought out etc?

Isn't trading him an option?

Clippers is selling, didn't you read the news? More teams to follow soon.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/265421/Clippers-Could-Become-Sellers-At-Trade-Deadline
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,850

Post#12 » by rocky_da_best » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:02 pm

I for one am glad this guy is nowhere near our team. I **** hated him on Miami with a passion. He's a dirty player. I had a really hard time coming to terms with this guy being on our roster so I have no issues he isn't anywhere near our guys. Dude was disrespectful in the summer eventhough we've been his father the entire time he played on Miami. Then he has the audacity to work out in another NBA team's gym lol. LA Fitness closed or something in South Beach?
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,620

Post#13 » by Psubs » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:23 pm

VanWest82 wrote:If Raptors continue to play well and the FO decides this team is ready to compete then I could see them packaging a FRP with Dragic to go get some help. That's how his salary is useful.

He's not coming back to the Raptors and no one is trading anything useful for Dragic without a sweetener attached. If that was going to happen it would've happened prior to the season.

If Raptors struggle or guys get injured or we just decide the team isn't ready to push chips in the middle then he'll be bought out.

Lots of teams have 2 year contracts they'd like to unload.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,371

Post#14 » by phanman » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:37 am

With no interest on the trade market front, i'd love to the team just integrate him back into the rotation. He's realistically what we are missing off the bench with everybody else essentially unplayable.

God forbid Freddy goes down with an injury.. or has an off night.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,199

Post#15 » by Dalek » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:49 am

I am re-resigned that we have seen the last of Dragic. I had a moment where I thought they might bring him back, but even with the COVID issues, they still kept him home.

Honestly, the way Toronto wants to play with tough defense, lengthy contests, running with pace, might be too much for Dragic anyway. Toronto is a team that demands top athletes. Even our top player, FVV is creating havoc on both ends, chasing guards around. If you were to throw Dragic in now he might actually break.

He needs a team that runs slow pick and rolls and has a rim protector that allows him to coast on defense. He could play with Bam Adebayo, and Toronto doesn't have that luxury. Toronto is trying to be a team on a string with zero weak points.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,785

Post#16 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:43 am

This is one of the few failed transactions during Masai's tenure. No one's perfect so it is what it is.
WeThe2019Champs
Veteran
And1: 2,638

Post#17 » by WeThe2019Champs » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:52 am

19+ mil dead weight.. disgusting.
No More Tanking!
Snowwy
Junior
And1: 209

Post#18 » by Snowwy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:06 am

Tor_Raps wrote:This is one of the few failed transactions during Masai's tenure. No one's perfect so it is what it is.

I'm so confused by this, can you help me out? Do you prefer Precious on the Raptors or nothing on the Raptors?
mihaic
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,071

Post#19 » by mihaic » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:15 am

Snowwy wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:This is one of the few failed transactions during Masai's tenure. No one's perfect so it is what it is.

I'm so confused by this, can you help me out? Do you prefer Precious on the Raptors or nothing on the Raptors?

It seems a lot of fans have limited understanding how it works. Not particularly Tor Raps, just saying
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,785

Post#20 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:15 am

Snowwy wrote:

I prefer trading a player when you've decided not doing your best to win, which happened the moment we didn't re-sign Ibaka. Hanging onto Lowry for the last season was pointless when you already knew he had no real future with the team. Hope that clarifies your confusion.

Return to Toronto Raptors