ImageImageImageImage

The 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Who is your early favorite?

Chet Holmgren
32%
Paolo Banchero
23%
Jaden Hardy
7%
Jabari Smith
35%
Jalen Duren
4%

Total votes: 101

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,371

Re: The 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#481 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:43 pm

There is just something missing with Paolo for me.

I can't exactly put my finger on it. The numbers are there and he's clearly a dominant collegiate basketball player, but I'm just not as sold on him as I am with Jabari/Chet.

It actually reminds me quite a bit of how I felt about RJ Barrett coming out of Duke. 22ppg, 7rpg, 4apg, consensus AA, All-ACC, All-Region, good measurables, great kid, and yet I just couldn't sell myself on him as an elite NBA prospect. Banchero will assuredly rack up many of the same accolades, but I don't think I'll ever quite get there with him either.

The game he played against Miami highlights some of the concerns I have. I'm really not sure how skilled he is. He's able to use his physical advantage to get anywhere he wants against other college athletes, but this won't come as easily against grown men in the NBA. His shot is nowhere near as developed as Jabari's and he has somewhat questionable defensive intangibles.

I just can't point to what he's going to be elite at in the NBA. Jabari will be an elite shooter. Chet will be an elite defender/shotblocker. What is Paolo's elite skill when his physical advantage is diminished?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,292

Post#482 » by Knightro » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:46 pm

MagicMatic wrote:So what’s the deal with Smith? Is he projected to be a better version of Rashard Lewis? Haven’t really kept up with the rest of this class outside of Chet and Paolo.

Pros
-Great shooter (45% from 3PT on high volume) with a virtually unblockable high release
-Willing passer (4.2 AST/100)
-Very good defensive potential (3.1 STL/100, 2.2 BLK/100)
-Frame looks good to add weight and strength
-One of the youngest players in the class, will be 18 his entire freshman season and 19 his entire NBA rookie season

Cons
-Meh rebounder (13.4 REB/100)
-Meh finisher (.457 2PT)
-Meh ball handler
-Doesn't get the to the FT line as much compared to other top prospects

I don't think Smith has the sort of advanced ball handling chops to put him into any sort of super elite prospect tier. The Durant comparisons are especially ludicrous, but that's not a knock on Smith so much that Durant is a once in a generation type of talent and it's unfair to compare anyone to him.

Smith, to me, looks like one of the best stretch 4 prospects in a very long time. Maybe ever.

3&D PF who has the potential to be tremendous at both the shooting and defense pieces -- but also plays within himself, doesn't hijack possessions and can make good reads as a passer.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#483 » by BCS » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:27 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:There is just something missing with Paolo for me.

I can't exactly put my finger on it. The numbers are there and he's clearly a dominant collegiate basketball player, but I'm just not as sold on him as I am with Jabari/Chet.

It actually reminds me quite a bit of how I felt about RJ Barrett coming out of Duke. 22ppg, 7rpg, 4apg, consensus AA, All-ACC, All-Region, good measurables, great kid, and yet I just couldn't sell myself on him as an elite NBA prospect. Banchero will assuredly rack up many of the same accolades, but I don't think I'll ever quite get there with him either.

The game he played against Miami highlights some of the concerns I have. I'm really not sure how skilled he is. He's able to use his physical advantage to get anywhere he wants against other college athletes, but this won't come as easily against grown men in the NBA. His shot is nowhere near as developed as Jabari's and he has somewhat questionable defensive intangibles.

I just can't point to what he's going to be elite at in the NBA. Jabari will be an elite shooter. Chet will be an elite defender/shotblocker. What is Paolo's elite skill when his physical advantage is diminished?
I only like him if he can play the 3 more than the 4. I just don't see him as a 4. If he can play like Lebron then ok, but can he?

Chet has the obvious body issues that I will not get over and Jabari also has his own flaws but imo the most manageable flaws of those 3 that is why I rank him above the other 2.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,158

Post#484 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:28 pm

Smith reminds me of a much better Jaren Jackson. Elite shooting 3&D modern big that can fit on any team in the league.. as of today he seems like the #1 guy.

Maybe I'm just trying to sell myself on this draft, but I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be. There's no Zion/AD/Doncic unanimous superstar guy but I think there can be multiple all stars in the top of this draft. Smith/Banchero/Chet/Ivey are all top 5 quality guys in *normal* draft classes. Mathurin, Griffin, and Davis are emerging as interesting options on the perimeter after the top guys as well.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#485 » by Skybox » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:34 pm

Just a thought...would you trade our pick for Kuminga? How about Kuminga and Wiseman (we add Bamba + filler), How about Kuminga & Moody?

where would (for example) Kuminga be in this draft? what about other recent picks? How about a pick swap where we get a promising, if unspectacular player back (Kispert, Reddish, Nesmith, Vassell) in addition to their frp?

* I just think we are talking about very good players at the top of the draft that would not be so high in other drafts, so it's not so unthinkable to trade away such an elite pick. Where would Jabari/Chet be in last year's draft?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#486 » by Knightro » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:03 pm

BCS wrote:I only like him if he can play the 3 more than the 4. I just don't see him as a 4. If he can play like Lebron then ok, but can he?

Chet has the obvious body issues that I will not get over and Jabari also has his own flaws but imo the most manageable flaws of those 3 that is why I rank him above the other 2.

I don't think there's any chance Banchero will be able to play the 3. He's a lot closer to Wendell Carter's measurements (height/weight, less length) than he is any sort of wing. He also plays way more like a big than a wing defensively.

He seems like a modern 4 through and through.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#487 » by BCS » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:13 pm

Knightro wrote:
BCS wrote:I only like him if he can play the 3 more than the 4. I just don't see him as a 4. If he can play like Lebron then ok, but can he?

I don't think there's any chance Banchero will be able to play the 3. He's a lot closer to Wendell Carter's measurements (height/weight, less length) than he is any sort of wing. He also plays way more like a big than a wing defensively.

He seems like a modern 4 through and through.
That is what I am thinking as well and also why I would be reluctant with him.

The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,045

Post#488 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:16 pm

I'm gonna wait until Skin's yearly draft choice thread before I get too hyped on a prospect. Skin almost always knows how to get me hyped on a prospect.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,913

Post#489 » by MagicMatic » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:46 pm

BCS wrote:

I only like him if he can play the 3 more than the 4. I just don't see him as a 4. If he can play like Lebron then ok, but can he?

I feel the same way about Paolo. I don’t believe his skill set will be AS valuable as a big. IF he’s able to be a wing, next to two bigs, then his value increases massively. I think he legitimately has the ability to do it. If not, then he’s a rich man’s Julius Randle.

The other top prospects have a lot of potential but I just don’t see the massive value they carry at the next level. Is Chet is really capable of creating shots off the dribble like Dirk? Is Jabari is really more than a 3&D stretch 4? If those answers are “no”, then I’m not sure how to gauge them.

There are a lot of flaws at the top of this draft and no “sure thing” and as always I’ll stick to the idea that bigs are always riskier investments at the top regardless of hype.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,158

Post#490 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:11 pm

Banchero is a 4 with maybe some ability to play as a small ball 5.

I can definitely see a little bit of the Randle comparison. But looking at the film and the stats, Banchero is farther along at the same age. Randle had no jump shot, no mid range game, very limited play making ability, could only use one hand.. totally relying on bullying opponents and crashing the offensive glass. He also looked smaller than Banchero.

Banchero right now looks closer to 2021 Randle than 2014 Randle IMO. If his jump shot continues to develop I think he will almost be a lock to be atleast be a 20PPG guy. He’s one of the more skilled front court /big scorers to come out in recent years. It's just a matter of the "other" parts of his game developing - play making ability and the ability to defend out in space. Which he has shown flashes of both at times (but still needs to improve, especially defensively)

Randle just wasn’t showing anything close to this at the same age

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#491 » by Knightro » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:59 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:Banchero right now looks closer to 2021 Randle than 2014 Randle IMO.

I like the way you've worded this and I feel similarly. Banchero does have his warts - particularly his defensive upside which may not be very high and his lack of vertical pop.

But offensively? Banchero at 19 reminds me of Randle at 26 after six years of NBA development under his belt.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,712

Post#492 » by basketballRob » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:40 pm

Banchero looks like he'll be an empty stat guy to me. He has no length and he's probably 6'8".

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
JTG_92940618
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#493 » by JTG_92940618 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:15 am

Tough game Johnny Davis today. Looks like Ohio State decided they would play him close even if he was on the weak side. It sure slowed Davis down but the rest of the team shot like 57% with one less defender helping.

Still, in this game, Davis didn't really cook players off the dribble and didn't make any shots that were contested. He also didn't show that much catching in the post after a slice cut - mainly just contested jumpers that missed. Also, there wasn't much playmaking there... So, yeah, tough game.

On the plus side, he did try on defence for the whole game, he never seemed to get frustrated and he actually boxes out, particularly if he has been switched onto a big. I felt like he got bulk minutes and I suspect this was so that he could be a decoy. If so, well coached by the Wisconsin coach.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,006

Post#494 » by KillMonger » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:18 am

Banchero

Athleticism......8
Size...............9
Defense..........7
Strength.........9
Quickness.......6
Leadership.....6
Jump Shot.....7
NBA Ready.....9
Rebounding....7
Potential.......9
Post Skills......8
Intangibles....8

93/100

**Great prospect, Any team would be happy to have him....not sure i'd say he's a cornerstone prospect for me i tend to attribute that to generational talents but Banchero has the talent to be a key piece for any team....Questions are definitely there though, is he a tweener? Is he sort of a prospect that's good at everything but a master at none? I'd like to find out, hopefully we can win that 1st pick and see if he really lives up to the hype**
Petre1978
Sixth Man
And1: 373

Post#495 » by Petre1978 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:22 pm

OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,066

Post#496 » by OrlMagic05 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:29 pm

Paolo reminds me of Carlos Boozer. A very good player that will give you 20/10 but thats it, not a star. I am starting to really like Jabari Smith, kinda reminds me of Evan Mobley and would fit nicely next to JI.
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,600

Post#497 » by 3ddman23 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:00 pm

I dont understand how banchero is getting comparisons to guys like Wendell and boozer. He moves way more like a guard/forward then those guys. He reminds me more of a bigger Rudy guy type of player. The few times I've seen him play us way more offensive game off the bounce then guys like that.
GO MAGIC
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#498 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:54 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:

Paolo reminds me of Carlos Boozer. A very good player that will give you 20/10 but thats it, not a star. I am starting to really like Jabari Smith, kinda reminds me of Evan Mobley and would fit nicely next to JI.

Wow, I actually love that comp and first time hearing it.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
ucfmay2000
Junior
And1: 50

Post#499 » by ucfmay2000 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:56 am

I am good with CHET HOLMGREN.
The lineup with

SUGGS
FULTZ
FRANZ
ISAAC
CHET