Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Would the 2017 Warriors win against the 96 Bulls?

Yes
49%
No
51%

Total votes: 280

michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Re: Steph Curry: "2017 Warriors would win in 6 against the 96 Bulls" 

Post#181 » by michaelm » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:34 am

TheLand13 wrote:
alebaba wrote:
Antinomy wrote:The fact that the Bulls are winning this poll is an indictment on this forum & basketball as a whole.

An entire generation of basketball fans have been fed a myth about Jordan & the 90s.

Kinda sad actually.

Show how much little you know about basketball. :crazy: The Rockets literally took that same team to game 7, and cp3 was out for game 6 and 7

The bulls in 6, they match up perfectly against them.

Yeah, and the Rockets, like the Warriors, would rofl stomp the Bulls.

And btw, they aren't literally the same team. The 2018 Warriors were a far cry from the 2017 Warriors. Much less defensive effort, multitude of injuries and inconsistencies in regards to the lineups, and less depth.

Don't know about either team stomping the Bulls, but the 2018 team was certainly not the 2017 team, not as hungry, KD less happy, as well as other factors such as those you mention, including an injury to Iguodala who was fairly crucial to them in their pomp, in that Rockets series.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#182 » by TheLand13 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:13 am

BigGargamel wrote:This is fun to think about but Jordan just does not lose NBA Finals matchups. I wouldn't bet against the 96 Bulls vs. any team in NBA history.

The laughably bad takes continue to rear their ugly head.
jerok
Junior
And1: 586

Post#183 » by jerok » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:17 am

Man, seems like RealGm are mostly either Middle aged women/men going through mid life crisis.
Or a whole brainwashed generation about the mythical Michael Jordan.

Like I said earlier. If each teams didn't know anything about the other team, and they just played their games. GSW would win in 5 or 6. Likely 5. They'll be raining 3s and Bulls wouldn't know how to deal with it.

There are some ridiculous/delusional posts about the Bulls here. Some things off top of my head.

MJ Scoring - Bull Offense
MJ would score for sure, no one can stop a great offensive player.
But he would be facing probably the toughest defenders he's ever seen. Klay/Iggy/Dray/KD/Shaun ain't no Danny Ainge, Craig Ehlo, Dan Majerle, Rick Carisle, Bryon Russel, please.
We all know what undersized GP can do to MJ, now MJ is getting guarded by bigger/faster/stronger players than GP, and they ain't slouches on Defense.

GSW would sag away from players that can't shoot 3s and clamp the paint on MJ.
They would likely live with Rodman/Wennington/Longley Shooting Js, Pippen and Harper shooting 3s. But maybe stay home on Kukoc and Kerr.

Bulls would shut down GSW - MJ doesn't get tired.
Bulls have great defenders for sure.
Pippen would have to be on Durant 100%, its the Bulls best matchup for KD.

Rodman is one of the greatest defensive players ever. But he ain't seen anything like KD. Need length and speed to hopefully contain Durant. Rodman and Dray would be so good though.

MJ and Harper would have to chase Steph and Klay around. Chasing one of the splash Bro's would have no doubt affect MJ on the offensive end. He can't rest on defense like he is guarding Jeff Hornacek.
I have no words to whoever said MJ doesn't get tired. I mean come on he is human. Brainwashing at its finest.

As mentioned above, you can't stop MJ, a great offensive player, that also applies to KD / Steph / Klay

Steph and Klay wouldn't be able to get shots off
Reggie took MJ to game 7. Steph and Klays game evolved from Reggie's, I mean way evolved.
Bulls would have to deal with 3 Reggies, and all of them shoot as good if not better than him. Think about that.

I don't recall Hand checking eliminated picks in basketball. Reggie got through some picks, I have no doubt in my mind Steph and Klay would as well.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#184 » by TheLand13 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:28 am

I still can't believe someone stated with a straight face that Rodman is the one who should be guarding Durant. That just blows my mind.
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#185 » by Antinomy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:12 am

There are many teams like the 87 Lakers, 14 Spurs, or 01 Lakers that would matchup better against that 2017 GS team than the 96 Bulls would.

The Bulls dominated an era devoid of other All-Time Great teams like the 80s Pistons, Celtics, Lakers & Sixers.

Amazing that many analysts & former players recognized that fact way back in 96, but we still have people in 2022 who have been brainwashed.

Some of you need to look up some interviews on YouTube or articles from back then regarding how watered down the league was.
chefo
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,386

Post#186 » by chefo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:16 am

The 96 Bulls wouldn't be able to guard shooters--is that argument for real? If anything, they made the life of every guard/wing they went against (outside of Penny) utter misery that year.

Harper and Starks on the Knicks. Tim Hardway, Chapman and Danilovic on the Heat. Hawkings and Payton on the Sonics.

They swept a 60-win Magic team with prime Shaq and Penny that had lost only a single playoff game until the ECF and had been to the finals the year before, while holding them to 85 points per game, 20 below their average. The Magic's high-volume shooters like Dennis Scott and Nick Andeson were barely able to get a shot off pretty much all series. The Bulls made it a point to make their lives miserable and they did--neither of these guys were chumps.

They held an absolutely superb 64-win Sonics team that was loaded with good shooters to 89 points per game, 16 below their average.

I really don't think people comprehend how the 96 Bulls won their title. Forget their regular season dominance. They were insane on D in the playoffs. They made excellent, 60-win, high-scoring teams unable to break 90-points per game over a series. That's what these guys were capable of when locked in on D. This was not the Heat and Knicks having a wrestlemania in the paint for 48 minutes 3 years later. The Bulls crushed several of the best shooting teams in the NBA. Over the playoffs, they held teams to less than 87 points per game.

Just for some context, the Heat were at 37.9% from 3 that year, the Knicks were at 37.7%, the Magic were at 37.8% and the Sonics at 36.4%. Yeah, the Bulls held that group to 28.8% over their 18 games that year. Taking away scoring from the outside was the one thing that this Bulls team was probably GOAT at.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#187 » by michaelm » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:33 am

chefo wrote:The 96 Bulls wouldn't be able to guard shooters--is that argument for real? If anything, they made the life of every guard/wing they went against (outside of Penny) utter misery that year.

Harper and Starks on the Knicks. Tim Hardway, Chapman and Danilovic on the Heat. Hawkings and Payton on the Sonics.

They swept a 60-win Magic team with prime Shaq and Penny that had lost only a single playoff game until the ECF and had been to the finals the year before, while holding them to 85 points per game, 20 below their average. The Magic's high-volume shooters like Dennis Scott and Nick Andeson were barely able to get a shot off pretty much all series. The Bulls made it a point to make their lives miserable and they did--neither of these guys were chumps.

They held an absolutely superb 64-win Sonics team that was loaded with good shooters to 89 points per game, 16 below their average.

I really don't think people comprehend how the 96 Bulls won their title. Forget their regular season dominance. They were insane on D in the playoffs. They made excellent, 60-win, high-scoring teams unable to break 90-points per game over a series. That's what these guys were capable of when locked in on D. This was not the Heat and Knicks having a wrestlemania in the paint for 48 minutes 3 years later. The Bulls crushed several of the best shooting teams in the NBA. Over the playoffs, they held teams to less than 87 points per game.

Just for some context, the Heat were at 37.9% from 3 that year, the Knicks were at 37.7%, the Magic were at 37.8% and the Sonics at 36.4%. Yeah, the Bulls held that group to 28.8% over their 18 games that year. Taking away scoring from the outside was the one thing that this Bulls team was probably GOAT at.

I don’t disagree about the Bulls defense, but those aren’t the 3 point percentages the Bulls would be reducing with Durant, Curry and Thompson shooting with a short 3 point line.
Hitachi77
Senior
And1: 641

Post#188 » by Hitachi77 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:38 am

Funny thing is Curry was likely being modest. Warriors likely sweep, win in 5 at most.
bullsaficianado
Rookie
And1: 333

Post#189 » by bullsaficianado » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:52 am

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:Under which NBA Rules?

90s rules with handchecking, no defensive 3 second rule, physical defense?

or 2010s cupcake defense?

in fact, Jordan would be even MORE lethal in todays cupcake defense.

'96 bulls in 6.

Exactly. People aren't even considering the NBA rules and how it would impact a series. That 2017 Warriors team wouldn't be as good in the 90's with the way the game was played and the Bulls would be even more lethal with the NBA rules in todays league.

Bulls in 6 games if they played with 90's NBA rules and Bulls in 5 games if they played with todays NBA rules. That 1996 Bulls team would be even more lethal in todays NBA. Jordan would tire Curry/Thompson and Pippen/Rodman would all over Durant. I don't think they could play Longley that much vs 2017 Warriors, Kukoc would definitely see more playing time.

I love it how people including Curry (to be expected) are not giving that 1996 Bulls team their due.

Bulls would smoke them with both NBA rules.
jerok
Junior
And1: 586

Post#190 » by jerok » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:47 am

bullsaficianado wrote:

'96 bulls in 6.

Exactly. People aren't even considering the NBA rules and how it would impact a series. That 2017 Warriors team wouldn't be as good in the 90's with the way the game was played and the Bulls would be even more lethal with the NBA rules in todays league.

Bulls in 6 games if they played with 90's NBA rules and Bulls in 5 games if they played with todays NBA rules. That 1996 Bulls team would be even more lethal in todays NBA. Jordan would tire Curry/Thompson and Pippen/Rodman would all over Durant. I don't think they could play Longley that much vs 2017 Warriors, Kukoc would definitely see more playing time.

I love it how people including Curry (to be expected) are not giving that 1996 Bulls team their due.

So you telling me Reggie can take bulls to game 7, as the only star in his team, his game primarily moving off ball through screens.
And somehow,3 better shooters/scorers, Steph, KD, Klay won't be able to do it? Please.

Show me proof that hand checking eliminated screens and picks. During 90s.

Lol Jordan would be chasing Klay or Steph around cause Pippen would have to take KD. If anyone will be tired it'll be the ones chasing Steph and Klay. MJ won't resting on D cause he won't be guarding players like Jeff hornacek and Hershey Hawkins,

They got you brainwashed my friend.
trueballer7
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,153

Post#191 » by trueballer7 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:06 am

jerok wrote:
bullsaficianado wrote:

'96 bulls in 6.

So you telling me Reggie can take bulls to game 7, as the only star in his team, his game primarily moving off ball through screens.
And somehow,3 better shooters/scorers, Steph, KD, Klay won't be able to do it? Please.

Show me proof that hand checking eliminated screens and picks. During 90s.

Lol Jordan would be chasing Klay or Steph around cause Pippen would have to take KD. If anyone will be tired it'll be the ones chasing Steph and Klay. MJ won't resting on D cause he won't be guarding players like Jeff hornacek and Hershey Hawkins,

They got you brainwashed my friend.

As I said before, pre first retirement Jordan would be more than enough to beat the Warriors, they lack everything that could even reduce the slaughter to somewhat manageable levels. That said, Indiana took the 1998 Bulls to 7, not the 1996 Bulls.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#192 » by GYK » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:25 am

All time perimeter defense vs all time perimeter offense. I’ll side with the 17 Warriors because the Bulls are from a 3pt deficient era. A modern Bulls with an era appropriate 3ball they are the best team ever and no one would get close.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#193 » by GYK » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:25 am

All time perimeter defense vs all time perimeter offense. I’ll side with the 17 Warriors because the Bulls are from a 3pt deficient era. A modern Bulls with an era appropriate 3ball they are the best team ever and no one would get close.
BookerBulls
Senior
And1: 415

Post#194 » by BookerBulls » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:31 am

First off - Bulls fan - so definitely biased....however.

The only real answer here is that it depends on the era in which the game is played.

In the 90's era with 90's rules and defense actually allowed, illegal screens actually being called by the refs - the Bulls win in 5, maybe 6. Curry would be lucky to make it out of Game 1 and Rodman would have Draymond suspended by the end of Game 2 (Semi-serious).

With the 2017 rules where screens can move as much as you want and you can't breathe on shooters without giving up 3 free throws and teams are jacking up 3's all game (ie more efficient shot, GSW with 3 All Time shooters) - the Warriors probably do win in 6.

However, as many have previously mentioned the 96 Bulls weren't slouches from 3 either (shortened line helped obviously) - so it wouldn't be some cakewalk as suggested by many with recency bias. Additionally, if the Bulls adapt a little and play 'Small Ball' with Harper, Jordan, Pippen, Rodman and Kukoc - the smallest player on the court is 6'6" - so they would likely kill the rebounding battle.

Plus Jordan has now heard this little 'media byte' from Curry and would take it personally....so definitely the Bulls
dshearn
Sixth Man
And1: 2,936

Post#195 » by dshearn » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:33 am

We are only dealing with 10 point per game difference, and being this would be one of the best perimeter defenses matched up against one of the best perimeter scoring teams, I would not buy into the Bulls losing in 6.

3 or no 3, the warriors averaged 115 points per game. Does not matter how they got there, that's what they score.

The Bulls averaged 105

What do you think is more likely?

a) Jordan and Pippen are going to score less points now that they don't have to deal with Shaq, Alonzo Morning and Patrick Ewing in the paint? On top of now having a 3 second rule to clear the lane for them??

or

B) Some how Curry, KD and Klay are going to do better then their average against Jordan(96 all defensive 1st team), Rodman(96 all defensive 1st team), and Pippen(96 all defensive 1st team). Honestly is not even the 1st team defense, you are dealing with 3 historically GREAT defenders.

One set of these stars actually does have it easier.

Now Factor in the Warriors are likely going to get absolutely CRUSHED on the glass. Your most likely starters on the Warriors average 42 rebounds per 100pos, and your most likely starters for Chicago (meaning not playing Longley) average 55 (if you put Longley back in the rebounds go up to nearly 57). That something that could have a cascading effect on the game.

Yeah sorry, I don't buy the warriors in 6.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#196 » by michaelm » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:52 am

dshearn wrote:We are only dealing with 10 point per game difference, and being this would be one of the best perimeter defenses matched up against one of the best perimeter scoring teams, I would not buy into the Bulls losing in 6.

3 or no 3, the warriors averaged 115 points per game. Does not matter how they got there, that's what they score.

The Bulls averaged 105

a) Jordan and Pippen are going to score less points now that they don't have to deal with Shaq, Alonzo Morning and Patrick Ewing in the paint? On top of now having a 3 second rule to clear the lane for them??

or

B) Some how Curry, KD and Klay are going to do better then their average against Jordan(96 all defensive 1st team), Rodman(96 all defensive 1st team), and Pippen(96 all defensive 1st team). Honestly is not even the 1st team defense, you are dealing with 3 historically GREAT defenders.

Now Factor in the Warriors are likely going to get absolutely CRUSHED on the glass. Your most likely starters on the Warriors average 42 rebounds per 100pos, and your most likely starters for Chicago (meaning not playing Longley) average 55 (if you put Longley back in the rebounds go up to nearly 57). That something that could have a cascading effect on the game.

Small ball with Rodman very likely out rebounds any other small ball line up in NBA history.

Draymond Green was not the primary rebounder for the 2017 GSW team however.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,177

Post#197 » by mowcrowbar » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:12 am

Could go either way.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,619

Post#198 » by OdomFan » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:38 am

jerok wrote:Man, seems like RealGm are mostly either Middle aged women/men going through mid life crisis.
Or a whole brainwashed generation about the mythical Michael Jordan.

Like I said earlier. If each teams didn't know anything about the other team, and they just played their games. GSW would win in 5 or 6. Likely 5. They'll be raining 3s and Bulls wouldn't know how to deal with it.

There are some ridiculous/delusional posts about the Bulls here. Some things off top of my head.

MJ Scoring - Bull Offense
MJ would score for sure, no one can stop a great offensive player.
But he would be facing probably the toughest defenders he's ever seen. Klay/Iggy/Dray/KD/Shaun ain't no Danny Ainge, Craig Ehlo, Dan Majerle, Rick Carisle, Bryon Russel, please.
We all know what undersized GP can do to MJ, now MJ is getting guarded by bigger/faster/stronger players than GP, and they ain't slouches on Defense.

GSW would sag away from players that can't shoot 3s and clamp the paint on MJ.
They would likely live with Rodman/Wennington/Longley Shooting Js, Pippen and Harper shooting 3s. But maybe stay home on Kukoc and Kerr.

Bulls would shut down GSW - MJ doesn't get tired.
Bulls have great defenders for sure.
Pippen would have to be on Durant 100%, its the Bulls best matchup for KD.

Rodman is one of the greatest defensive players ever. But he ain't seen anything like KD. Need length and speed to hopefully contain Durant. Rodman and Dray would be so good though.

MJ and Harper would have to chase Steph and Klay around. Chasing one of the splash Bro's would have no doubt affect MJ on the offensive end. He can't rest on defense like he is guarding Jeff Hornacek.
I have no words to whoever said MJ doesn't get tired. I mean come on he is human. Brainwashing at its finest.

As mentioned above, you can't stop MJ, a great offensive player, that also applies to KD / Steph / Klay

Steph and Klay wouldn't be able to get shots off
Reggie took MJ to game 7. Steph and Klays game evolved from Reggie's, I mean way evolved.
Bulls would have to deal with 3 Reggies, and all of them shoot as good if not better than him. Think about that.

I don't recall Hand checking eliminated picks in basketball. Reggie got through some picks, I have no doubt in my mind Steph and Klay would as well.

Reggie Millers Pacers took the Bulls to game 7 in 1998, not 1996 (the squad this topic is about) yet you're acting like the gap between those 2 seasons make no difference then turn around and call other peoples post in here ridiculous and delusional. Hilarious.

Not to mention that you're ignoring the how and why the 98 series even went to game 7 in the first place like for one.. game 4 of that series(and likely the most important one) where Reggie Miller gets nothing called on him for pushing Michael Jordan in front of everybody before drilling that bucket that went on to win them that game.
The 1996 Bulls would have more than likely beaten them in fewer games, and would most definitely do well against the 2017 Warriors as well which is why Curry himself agrees on hence why he believes it would go to 6 games, which in fact does make it a good series regardless of what the outcome of it all ends up being. He says the Warriors win, others say the Bulls but when it comes down to none of us will ever get to actually see what would happen.
dshearn
Sixth Man
And1: 2,936

Post#199 » by dshearn » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:18 pm

michaelm wrote:
dshearn wrote:We are only dealing with 10 point per game difference, and being this would be one of the best perimeter defenses matched up against one of the best perimeter scoring teams, I would not buy into the Bulls losing in 6.

The Bulls averaged 105

or

Small ball with Rodman very likely out rebounds anybother small ball line up in NBA history.

Draymond Green was not the primary rebounder for the 2017 GSW team however.

Its a hell of a what if,

Drop out Iggy and put in Zaza for rebounding to much and the Bulls might be able to start fouling out defenders. I closed those tabs down earlier, but i think Jordan took 67 free throws in that final series. Chicago had 169? that series, for comparison Durant lead the Warriors with something like 44 and the Warriors had 130ish? FTs.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#200 » by TheCage4 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:30 pm

I can't stand questions like this.

We're talking two different eras of basketball entirely. If the 2017 Warriors suddenly had to play with 1996 defense and physicality, they'd get beat up. If the 1996 Bulls suddenly had to play with 2017 run and gun rules, they'd foul out and/or be gassed.

Stop trying to debate something that can't be debated. Recognize both teams for how great they were, when they were, and move on.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore

Return to The General Board