Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#1861 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:13 am

payitforward wrote:Sticks is

doing all this for CCJ !!

Lord knows he sure had some Bad play before this.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1862 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:44 pm

Another guy... from UVA is getting a chance and using it well. Kyle Guy. Super-smart little guard who can shoot the lights out. He just got his 2nd 10-day contract with Miami - after showing he's another 3 point shooter for them. Seems like Miami is better than everyone else at finding guys (ok I'll stop saying guy, guy) like that. Just one guy's opinion. That's the thing about getting small guards - get ones that can flat out shoot. Otherwise, pass.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1863 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:55 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:In general teams like Chicago and Atlanta are doing better than the Wizards.

I did not like that loss to Houston the other day and I have a feeling they’re gonna be better sooner than later.

The Memphis Grizzlies are doing way better than the Wizards.

Notice that JJJ is finally stepping up for Mem - 21 points, 12 rebounds, 6 blocks last night. Brutal game for the Lakers except for Lebron - who made 14 of 19 FG's. The other 4 Laker starters were 8 of... 39. Holy RW!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#1864 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:59 pm

Jaren Jr., as well as Mo Bamba and Wendell Carter Jr. have each enjoyed a spike in productivity after not showing very well early on in their NBA careers.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1865 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:16 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Jaren Jr., as well as Mo Bamba and Wendell Carter Jr. have each enjoyed a spike in productivity after not showing very well early on in their NBA careers.

Bamba improved the last 2 seasons, but he seems to have regressed this season. My gut say they'll try to trade him, because he and Carter are both strictly centers, and Carter's probably going to be better - and Bamba's going to be an RFA after this season that they probably won't want to pay. And they can keep the other Mo - Wagner and Robin "Hook" Lopez.
RealGM

Post#1866 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:15 am

<Bamboo> probably got worse once the numbers crunch happened. There are only so many minutes to go around.

I thought very early in the year <mow be> was playing a lot better
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1867 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1868 » by Dark Faze » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:59 pm

Hawks did what imo we should do with Rui. There's all the excuses in the world you could use to gas up Cam and wait until his contract expires to make a decision on him. If it works out, great, you keep the guy you developed. Problem is if it doesn't work out, you end up basically letting 4 years of development and minutes walk out the door.

It's a gamble either way, but the Hawks GM clearly made a decision on where he saw Cam's future going and preferred to maximize his value now. You have to do that sometimes. You need to be "recycling" some of your draft picks from time to time. That sort of thing can add up, keep young talent coming through the door.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1869 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:02 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Hawks did what imo we should do with Rui. There's all the excuses in the world you could use to gas up Cam and wait until his contract expires to make a decision on him. If it works out, great, you keep the guy you developed. Problem is if it doesn't work out, you end up basically letting 4 years of development and minutes walk out the door.

It's a gamble either way, but the Hawks GM clearly made a decision on where he saw Cam's future going and preferred to maximize his value now. You have to do that sometimes. You need to be "recycling" some of your draft picks from time to time. That sort of thing can add up, keep young talent coming through the door.
I think the difference here is cam was not particularly happy with his role and Rui is. I understand that's not the point you're trying to make and I do agree with you. But I feel rui isn't the one to give up yet.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1870 » by Dark Faze » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:44 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:Hawks did what imo we should do with Rui. There's all the excuses in the world you could use to gas up Cam and wait until his contract expires to make a decision on him. If it works out, great, you keep the guy you developed. Problem is if it doesn't work out, you end up basically letting 4 years of development and minutes walk out the door.

I think the difference here is cam was not particularly happy with his role and Rui is. I understand that's not the point you're trying to make and I do agree with you. But I feel rui isn't the one to give up yet.

Yeah just found out dude requested a trade last summer....after only 2 years on a team that was doing well while he was battling injuries and playing poorly? That's wild. Knicks might be getting a toxic player low key. But I dunno.
RealGM

Post#1871 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:11 pm

gambitx777 wrote:

Hachimura is just happy to be back right now but once his minutes are a lot less than what he’s been accustomed to in his first two seasons I think he’s not gonna be happy, either. It might be different if this team we’re winning every night and a 50+ win team. I could see Rui accept coming off the bench.

I would like to see the next five or so games just to see how the rotation goes and whether the Wizards start winning consistently again.

I do believe it’s time to make a trade of some sort but they need to wait at least two or three games. (That is unless it’s a trade of Bradley B or possibly Davis B—No need to hesitate on trading either one of them in my opinion).
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1872 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:08 pm

I got to see Milwaukee destroy GSW last night but really came away amazed by how well GS is set up. Sure, they're maybe the best team in the West, but they're not gonna fall apart when Curry's group gets old. They have all kinds of very young talent that haven't touched on what they'll become. Kuminga's raw, but he's 19... His talent level is stunning. I'd be surprised if he doesn't become one of the best players in the NBA - the only question is when. Jordan Poole is just 22 - a great talent who just needs to keep learning and develop a consistent 3 ball. And 2 guys who didn't play - 19 year old Moody and 20 year old Wiseman are valued pieces. Wiseman might be overrated, but there's definitely talent there. If the Wiz had been forward thinking... well, we don't need to go into that.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,351

Post#1873 » by doclinkin » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:59 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Hachimura is just happy to be back right now but once his minutes are a lot less than what he’s been accustomed to in his first two seasons I think he’s not gonna be happy, either.

Whereas I get the impression that is exactly what would make him happy. To be on a team, surrounded by his guys, and blend in without all the pressure. He can stand out in a highlight dunk here and there, play solid match-up defense as called upon, and otherwise disappear. The hungry players with competitive drive are the ones who scrap for rebounds and even snatch them away from teammates. Those are the guys who complain when they don't get playing time. Rui watches the action, even when on the court. I get the sense he would be happy to watch from the bench, and come in to help out when the coach calls upon him. The pressure has been on him when he is supposed to be the star.

In that respect, if he can stick in the league, I feel like he may develop slowly, on the Oubre/JaVale timeline. Once he has enough reps that wisdom and experience substitute for BBIQ instincts then his natural talent can take over.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#1874 » by payitforward » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:54 am

Rui wasn't a super-great college player, but he was certainly good! We'll have to see whether he develops into anything particularly valuable, but I don't see any reason to make a call on him yet.

Cam was awful at Duke. & he's never had a significant stretch of playing well in the league -- tho he did have a few very good games in the playoffs last year.

That said, I think the trade is more a sign of the mess in the Hawks FO. Travis Schlenk was supposed to gonna be a great GM, coming out of the GS system, but overall he sure hasn't looked that way to me.

They got a potted plant for the guy they picked #10 3 drafts ago. That's on management.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
RealGM

Post#1875 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:39 am

doclinkin wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Hachimura is just happy to be back right now but once his minutes are a lot less than what he’s been accustomed to in his first two seasons I think he’s not gonna be happy, either.

Whereas I get the impression that is exactly what would make him happy. To be on a team, surrounded by his guys, and blend in without all the pressure. He can stand out in a highlight dunk here and there, play solid match-up defense as called upon, and otherwise disappear. The hungry players with competitive drive are the ones who scrap for rebounds and even snatch them away from teammates. Those are the guys who complain when they don't get playing time. Rui watches the action, even when on the court. I get the sense he would be happy to watch from the bench, and come in to help out when the coach calls upon him. The pressure has been on him when he is supposed to be the star.

In that respect, if he can stick in the league, I feel like he may develop slowly, on the Oubre/JaVale timeline. Once he has enough reps that wisdom and experience substitute for BBIQ instincts then his natural talent can take over.

Kelly Oubre is a terrific comparison. I totally agree with you that Hachimura right now is not ready to be a lead dog but in a few years he might really be a good player. He’s definitely solid offensively and he has all the tools and the physicality and the size. He just doesn’t have any dog in them right now. That doesn’t mean he won’t in about for five years assuming he is still in the league and healthy mentally and physically.

If you are correct and he is the type of player who would flourish coming off the bench then I would say hold onto this young man.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#1876 » by closg00 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:35 pm

Los Angeles Lakers star Russell Westbrook benched late in loss; coach Frank Vogel had green light, sources say

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33106148/los-angeles-lakers-star-russell-westbrook-benched-late-loss-coach-frank-vogel-had-green-light-sources-say
Westbrick benched, the Wizards have never had to the courage to bench a star player stinking-up the joint
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1877 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 4, 2022 7:37 pm

Read on Twitter

What was Portland thinking? Great trade by LAC.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#1878 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 4, 2022 7:47 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Read on Twitter

Portland saves $4M, which might get them all the way below the luxtax threshold. That'll probably save them something like $20M in luxtax fees.

It also gets them over $20M in cap room next year, though I don't really know who they'd want to go after.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1879 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 4, 2022 7:52 pm

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Read on Twitter

Portland saves $4M, which might get them all the way below the luxtax threshold. That'll probably save them something like $20M in luxtax fees.

It also gets them over $20M in cap room next year, though I don't really know who they'd want to go after.

There's gotta be better ways to save 4 mil. Seems like - if they wanted Lillard to request a trade, this was the way to. If they did this just so they'd be able to afford keeping Simons, it's a pretty stupid move - and I like Simons. Gotta laugh that the only pick they get is a 2025 2nd rounder.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#1880 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 4, 2022 7:56 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Read on Twitter

There's gotta be better ways to save 4 mil. Seems like - if they wanted Lillard to request a trade, this was the way to. If they did this just so they'd be able to afford keeping Simons, it's a pretty stupid move - and I like Simons. Gotta laugh that the only pick they get is a 2025 2nd rounder.

Yeah, it's pretty bad for them long term. That cap room isn't really that useful since they have to resign Simons anyhow. His cap hold is like $12M, leaving them with maybe $8M in useful cap room - less than the MLE.

It really goes to show you how hard it is to build a team around two highly paid guards. With Lillard and McCollum being paid $75M combined, there's just no way to put a good team around them.

Return to Washington Wizards