ImageImageImage

Welcome Tyrese Maxey!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#921 » by blargh » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:24 pm

76ciology wrote:I like how they say great players takes what they want.

Maxey is not that and is likely will never be that. But it doesnt mean he isnt good.

Wouldn’t agree he likely will never be that. I think his natural instinct is to take over, but with the team getting starters back, and with his current skill level, that’s not the role he’s being asked to play. His recent poor play is him trying to reconcile those two things.

If he continues to work and build his scoring ability, I think his aggressive mentality will be there.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,409

Post#922 » by 76ciology » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:45 am

blargh wrote:

Maxey is not that and is likely will never be that. But it doesnt mean he isnt good.

Wouldn’t agree he likely will never be that. I think his natural instinct is to take over, but with the team getting starters back, and with his current skill level, that’s not the role he’s being asked to play. His recent poor play is him trying to reconcile those two things.

If he continues to work and build his scoring ability, I think his aggressive mentality will be there.

He can be that but I still think he will never be that.
Right now, he’s more of a system scorer. We should be realistic with our guys.

To be where you want to be, you need to know where you are.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#923 » by blargh » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:41 pm

76ciology wrote:
blargh wrote:

He can be that but I still think he will never be that.
Right now, he’s more of a system scorer. We should be realistic with our guys.

To be where you want to be, you need to know where you are.

Yeah, he might not get to being a top-level scorer, but if he doesn’t, it will be because his skills never make that leap, not because he doesn’t have the right mentality. At least that’s my take.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,530

Post#924 » by SixthStreet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:55 am

Is Maxey evolving into consistently upping his 3PA volume? It seems he's making a concerted effort to shoot more of them off the dribble and we are running sets to get him the corner looks. He still passes up catch and shoot opportunities more than I'd like but he's getting closer to firing away as he needs to to make the jump.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,574

Post#925 » by Slacktard » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:06 am

SixthStreet wrote:Is Maxey evolving into consistently upping his 3PA volume? It seems he's making a concerted effort to shoot more of them off the dribble and we are running sets to get him the corner looks. He still passes up catch and shoot opportunities more than I'd like but he's getting closer to firing away as he needs to to make the jump.

He said in the post-game presser to media he realized after being criticized for taking too many long 2's, running floaters, contested 2's/pump-faking on 3s and is trying to shoot more especially not pass up any open shot.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#926 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:07 am

Slacktard wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:Is Maxey evolving into consistently upping his 3PA volume? It seems he's making a concerted effort to shoot more of them off the dribble and we are running sets to get him the corner looks. He still passes up catch and shoot opportunities more than I'd like but he's getting closer to firing away as he needs to to make the jump.

He said in the post-game presser to media he realized after being criticized for taking too many long 2's, running floaters, contested 2's/pump-faking on 3s and is trying to shoot more especially not pass up any open shot.

Honestly we need a legit lob threat at the 4 so that people can’t play his floater as tight or if they do he just feasts
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#927 » by Skates » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:58 am

Sportfan73 wrote:
Slacktard wrote:

Honestly we need a legit lob threat at the 4 so that people can’t play his floater as tight or if they do he just feasts

Goes with adding athleticism and speed the team is lacking this year without Simmons playing, Maxey has few on the team who can join him in creating those hyper athletic moves and finishes right now.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach

Post#928 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:15 am

Skates wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:
Slacktard wrote:

Goes with adding athleticism and speed the team is lacking this year without Simmons playing, Maxey has few on the team who can join him in creating those hyper athletic moves and finishes right now.

Yeah I’m just thinking and like Trae and how much that opens up his passing and finishing. Collins really would be sick in the right scenario
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#929 » by stormi » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:31 am

Sportfan73 wrote:
Slacktard wrote:

marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#930 » by marcush » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:55 am

Coming along well. Gradually improving his shot.

A bit boring for a Sixers guard.

Used to them forgetting how to shoot or refusing to shoot. Severe food allergies.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach

Post#931 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:54 am

Doc letting Maxey get more high usage with the reserves instead of featuring Tobias there, I like that a lot.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,030

Post#932 » by Sixerscan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:55 pm

Read on Twitter

Maxey says he’s making this change because of Doc and Embiid but I think it was really the 500 Twitter bots I set up to yell at him whenever he passes up a 3 or a layup to take a floater.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,762

Post#933 » by HotelVitale » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:18 pm

Slacktard wrote:

I don't mind giving him some more time to keep attacking closeouts and figuring out when it's time to do that and when to take the shot. He's obviously very good at filling an open lane and finishing off those drives and we don't have even penetration as is, so I don't think he should just cut it from his game (plus he need to learn how to pass better out of those situations).

For shots off the dribble, I've been liking the way he calmly takes stepbacks when the shot clock's running down or when he's feeling it. Feel like he's gone from bad at that last year to basically nailing his decision-making on those. Knows which shots are in his zone and which aren't most of the time.
sodmoraes
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#934 » by sodmoraes » Mon Feb 7, 2022 3:22 am

Maxey stats on his last 15 games: 17 ppg, 46% on 3s( on 4 attempts per game) and 6 apg. He may not be a natural pg but in the last games it seems hes becoming a better passer. He will never be a great passer but i think he can be a competent one in a couple of years, specially if Doc let him become a more focal part of the offense. He still defers to much. If he handles more the ball i can see him averaging 7-8 apg in the future.
And if he can up his 3 pt volume, shooting 5-6 3s per game , mantaining a 37-40% , i really think he will be close to an allstar reserve kinda of player. He may not have godly physical atributes, but his work ethics are awesome.
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 724

Post#935 » by Lou_23 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 2:35 pm

Read on Twitter
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,417

Post#936 » by Eyeamok » Mon Feb 7, 2022 2:42 pm

The other day someone had a poll on the General Board. Is Maxey a better player that BS ? The answer was a rousing no. But maybe the question should have been. Is Maxey going to be a better playoff player than BS ?
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#937 » by Sixerscan » Mon Feb 7, 2022 2:49 pm

Eyeamok wrote:The other day someone had a poll on the General Board. Is Maxey a better player that BS ? The answer was a rousing no. But maybe the question should have been. Is Maxey going to be a better playoff player than BS ?

If we're talking the version of Ben that is going to literally refuse to touch the basketball when the team is in the penalty, sure, but not sure what that says about Maxey. He's not better than Ben when Ben has his head on straight. He's still a pretty good player though, which is a big reason this team has the record it does in the absence of Simmons. If he's Killian Hayes or Kira Lewis or some other young guard that's struggling, as many young guards do, they would be up a creek.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,854

Post#938 » by Phila Tough » Tue Feb 8, 2022 12:32 am

It's nice to have a young guard who doesn't act like he's above any criticism.
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,089

Post#939 » by TroubleS0me » Tue Feb 8, 2022 2:13 am

Phila Tough wrote:It's nice to have a young guard who doesn't act like he's above any criticism.

hmm who are you throwing shade to? please elaborate for us.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#940 » by Sixerscan » Tue Feb 8, 2022 3:24 am

TroubleS0me wrote:
Phila Tough wrote:It's nice to have a young guard who doesn't act like he's above any criticism.

hmm who are you throwing shade to? please elaborate for us.

Evan Turner.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers