Hawks are 17-24. What's happening?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Re: Hawks are 14-16. What's happening? 

Post#341 » by kg01 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:00 am

MGB8 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:As someone who doesn't follow the team, I'm confused. Is this just about injuries and Covid?

I thought this team was on the rise, but looking at the standings right now they seem like they're fighting for a playoff seed.

Take a look and let me know. Trae, Reddish and Capela are the only players available for tonight's game.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Iwundu played. But, unlike last game, Bogs and Dieng didn’t.

The best(sic) part is Iwundu going into and being cleared out of protocols before all our other guys since the regulars were all "grandfathered" into the previous, 10-day rules. Can't make this crap up.

That said, the team had struggles before all this. The covid (yes, I said 'the' covid) just made sure they couldn't recover.
king01 :king:
Else_where
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,510

Re: Hawks are 14-16. What's happening? 

Post#342 » by Else_where » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:43 am

midway to the season and they are 17-24 now,just toothless performances every single game. It's just bot happening for them, they should be active in trades.
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,108

Re: Hawks are 17-24. What's happening? 

Post#343 » by art_tatum » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:00 am

Was never high on trae, he might be one of those players who put up numbers inefficiently and doesn’t add up to elite winning. There’s been and will be many like that
TRik
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,445

Post#344 » by TRik » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:12 am

art_tatum wrote:Was never high on trae, he might be one of those players who put up numbers inefficiently and doesn’t add up to elite winning. There’s been and will be many like that

If regular season is boring, looks like Trae gonna be bored a lot.
‘Silly rabbit’
Gasolina
Junior
And1: 529

Hawks are 17-24. What's happening? 

Post#345 » by Gasolina » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:21 am

art_tatum wrote:Was never high on trae, he might be one of those players who put up numbers inefficiently and doesn’t add up to elite winning. There’s been and will be many like that

Trae is a maestro in the pick and roll. Might be the best in the league at it after Chris Paul, LeBron and Jokic. He’s anything but an inefficient chucker. The question with him is whether his undoubtedly immense offensive talent can overcome his incredibly bad defense. I think it can and I think it currently does, but there are certainly difficulties in constructing a very good team when your star player has such a disadvantage. The Hawks need a second, self-creating star and they need much better defensive personnel around Trae.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,716

Post#346 » by VanWest82 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:23 am

Most of the Hawks regulars playing tonight and yet again Trae is one of the worst +/- guys on the team with -20. They just can't stop anyone. At some point this falls on the team leader.
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Post#347 » by Sothron » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:51 am

Then you know nothing about basketball. Trae is having his best season. Team has the lowest turnovers in the entire NBA. Trae has been top five in scoring and assists all season on good numbers. This isn't Trae's fault. We have had a ton of injuries. I don't think we've had hardly any games with our starting five healthy at the same time. It is frustrating to watch as a Hawks fan.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,069

Post#348 » by MrBigShot » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:09 am

Trae just led them to ECF and now suddenly he's an empty stats guy? lol
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,584

Post#349 » by Rainwater » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:13 am

This team is just flawed. They are supposed to be good but they just aren't reminds me of the Blazers and the Celtics.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,889

Post#350 » by DaGawd » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:57 am

They’ve definitely quit on McMillan.. kinda ironic cause they quit on Pierce before that.. they need to do some serious soul searching with the next coaching hire as well as make some roster moves
BaF
Washington Wizards
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,311

Post#351 » by DrCoach » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:07 am

Bing Bong
herbiehancock00
Junior
And1: 110

Post#352 » by herbiehancock00 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:28 am

Sothron wrote:This isn't Trae's fault. We have had a ton of injuries. I don't think we've had hardly any games with our starting five healthy at the same time. It is frustrating to watch as a Hawks fan.

Most of the teams has had one or two of their starters out for majority of the season. The Hawks is just not a great team, health is not an excuse.
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Post#353 » by Sothron » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:48 am

herbiehancock00 wrote:
Sothron wrote:This isn't Trae's fault. We have had a ton of injuries. I don't think we've had hardly any games with our starting five healthy at the same time. It is frustrating to watch as a Hawks fan.

Most of the teams has had one or two of their starters out for majority of the season. The Hawks is just not a great team, health is not an excuse.

Wrong. Completely false. Hawks had SIXTEEN players out at one point. No one is dealing with that. Several teams have been healthy this season as well.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#354 » by Mr Puddles » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:17 am

Sothron wrote:
herbiehancock00 wrote:

Wrong. Completely false. Hawks had SIXTEEN players out at one point. No one is dealing with that. Several teams have been healthy this season as well.

Just looking at the games key Hawks players have played:

Young 37 games
Capela 36 games
Collins 36 games
Heuter 34 games
Gallinari 32 games
Bogdan 28 games

That really isn't THAT bad.

I mean compare that to the Cavs for instance, a team with a much better record right now:

Garland 37 games
Allen 36 games
Mobley 35 games
Markannen 34 games
Rubio 34 games
Okoro 28 games
Sexton 11 games

That's almost identical. The key players the Hawks have missed really doesn't seem that much worse than most other teams out there.

Having had 16 players out at one point also doesn't really explain the poor players of the Hawks right now.
Spoiler:
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#355 » by MikeM » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:34 am

They play 4 on 5 defensively. That's how they have a bottom 3 defence every year except last year. If you have bad defence, you usually are not good. Sometimes the answers are obvious.

It's a simple sport.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#356 » by Floody100 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:53 am

MikeM wrote:They play 4 on 5 defensively. That's how they have a bottom 3 defence every year except last year. If you have bad defence, you usually are not good. Sometimes the answers are obvious.

It's a simple sport.

& that’s exactly why they’re losing. Trae’s offence doesn’t make up for for his atrocious defence.

You could legitimately make an argument for Trae being the worst NBA defender of all time.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#357 » by shakes0 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:29 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
Sothron wrote:
herbiehancock00 wrote:

Young 37 games
Capela 36 games
Collins 36 games
Heuter 34 games
Gallinari 32 games
Bogdan 28 games

I mean compare that to the Cavs for instance, a team with a much better record right now:

Garland 37 games
Allen 36 games
Mobley 35 games
Markannen 34 games
Rubio 34 games
Okoro 28 games
Sexton 11 games

That's almost identical. The key players the Hawks have missed really doesn't seem that much worse than most other teams out there.

Having had 16 players out at one point also doesn't really explain the poor players of the Hawks right now.

Why did you leave key Hawks players off your list? Do DeAndre Hunter and Onyeka Okongwu not exist? Or would listing them ruin your biased point? :noway: :crazy: :nonono: :banghead:
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#358 » by MagicBagley18 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:40 pm

Hawks aren’t THIS bad but were also never as GOOD as last years playoff run. They got lightning in a bottle and rode the waves of momentum that started by an in season coaching switch and then got unbelievable playoff matchups.

the knicks who were happy to be there & Philly who notoriously underwhelms in the post season. Bucks played with their food and were banged up otherwise it’s a 4-1 at best series. They deserve credit for capitalizing on that and trae was great. That said they’ve been decimated by injury and covid and are not this bad but they were also overrated coming into the season.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#359 » by Mr Puddles » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:48 pm

shakes0 wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
Sothron wrote:

Young 37 games
Capela 36 games
Collins 36 games
Heuter 34 games
Gallinari 32 games
Bogdan 28 games

Garland 37 games
Allen 36 games
Mobley 35 games
Markannen 34 games
Rubio 34 games
Okoro 28 games
Sexton 11 games

Why did you leave key Hawks players off your list? Do DeAndre Hunter and Onyeka Okongwu not exist? Or would listing them ruin your biased point? :noway: :crazy: :nonono: :banghead:

I forgot about Hunter, fair point, but in all fairness he also didn't play much last year (24 regular season games, 5 playoff games) so it's not like missing him explains the difference between last year's team and this year's team.

Okongwu is a good prospect with the potential to become a very important player down the road, but let's be honest, at this stage of his career you're not seriously arguing that the Hawks are 12th in the East because your has been missing the services of Onyeka Okongwu. I mean, he's 9th on the team in minutes.

Adding Hunter and Okongwu to list really doesn't strengthen your argument to be honest.

Bottom line is you've had your three best players on the court for 36.5 out 42 games. That's 5,5 missed games on average between them. Like others have said, plenty of other teams have had to deal with similar to more significant injuries than the Hawks - and are holding far better records.
Spoiler:
Eye of Horus
Freshman
And1: 121

Post#360 » by Eye of Horus » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:11 pm

Young reminds me of IT when he was on the celtics. A nuclear offensive player, but limited defensively. Now even with that said, those celtics squads were pretty successful. even with opposing teams constantly hunting IT on defense. So is it the rest of the Hawks team that are a defensive liability? It seems like the team is not properly built around Young. You can infact win with a horrible defensive player. But you better make damn sure the rest of the team can ball out on the defensive end, or you end up with these kind of results. This is not a Trae Young issue in my opinion

Return to The General Board