Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Re: Bradley Beal - Part III 

Post#1881 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:21 pm

Frichuela wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:The difference is, Shams had already tweeted that the Wizards and Rockets were discussing a trade. Tommy was doing the non-denial denial.

There's been zero rumors of Beal wanting out or the Wizards discussing him in packages. Windhorst was saying this last week with Bontemps and McMahon on his podcast. Woj all season has been saying that Tommy and Brad's agent are on the same page.

It's inevitable. Let us just pray Brad stays healthy.

Let us pray they go back in this forum and remember what I said before they resigned Arenas. I was almost alone on that There might of been one or two people that no longer post here that agreed with me when I said Arenas knows he is hurt; Why on earth would you re-sign the guy now?!

I was one of the few that said do not sign John Wall to a Supermax deal. I remember I was not the only anti Wall guy here, But I was called a hater for a long time until it became obvious that John was not the same player anymore. John Wall was really a sad case because he really did improve right before he got hurt. He was balling! I have nothing but respect for the effort that young man gave him for his character despite a little bit of petulance. He loved DC and the city really loved him back. I am not mad at him or Gilbert forgetting that paper!

Bradley Beal should sign for as much money as he can get. That is the smart thing and the right thing for him to do. Even though I am seeing trade the guy I think he is a great human being. Comes from a great family. And I expect he will have a great future.

From a business standpoint I do not think that Washington should sign him to a Supermax deal UNLESS … Perhaps the Wizards could force a three-way deal with the Lakers.

I think Anthony Davis is pretty soft and pretty fragile and he wants to end his career playing small forward.

Somehow someway if the Washington Wizards can send Bradley to the Lakers …

What that would do would be to re-energize Russell Westbrook. I don’t know how they could replace Anthony Davis but a team like Atlanta is sort of desperate right now. Maybe John Collins along with Bradley Beal could be enough for LeBron for now. Anthony Davis comes to Washington and that is enough said

Or if Anthony Davis went to Atlanta they send something to Washington

Actually, that would be an interesting proposition....say a a Beal+Rui for Davis+something swap...Dunno what to think of it. Davis is a top 10 talent but quite injury prone...

AD is a top 10 player. But he's in, as Charles Barkley says, street clothes a lot.

Brad is our best guard. We have no other good guards.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1882 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:25 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Terrible. Davis has fallen off a cliff from 3 years ago. He cant stay healthy, doesn't work on his craft, doesn't spread the floor, doesn't have the mentality/physicality to work the paint... Hard pass

He definitely has fallen off recently, but that criticism is a little over the top. He did win an NBA Championship in 2020 - playing brilliantly at both ends. Even with all the injuries, I'd be shocked if the Lakers traded him - still just 28. Beal and Rui is not gonna get him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1883 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:30 pm

Duplicate post
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1884 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:31 pm

Ruzious wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:Terrible. Davis has fallen off a cliff from 3 years ago. He cant stay healthy, doesn't work on his craft, doesn't spread the floor, doesn't have the mentality/physicality to work the paint... Hard pass

He definitely has fallen off recently, but that criticism is a little over the top. He did win an NBA Championship in 2020 - playing brilliantly at both ends. Even with all the injuries, I'd be shocked if the Lakers traded him - still just 28. Beal and Rui is not gonna get him.
Precisely why you offer those two because you just don't know how desperate the Lakers are going to get
Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#1885 » by doclinkin » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:34 pm

Let us pray they go back in this forum and remember what I said before they resigned Arenas. I was almost alone on that There might of been one or two people that no longer post here that agreed with me when I said Arenas knows he is hurt; Why on earth would you re-sign the guy now?!

To hear Arenas tell it, he was ready to bolt to a different team. Grunfeld was playing hardball with his agent because he was injured and Gil had one foot out the door feeling disrespected. Abe Pollin came down and said F-- all that, I told him I was going to take care of him and I will, give him whatever he wants. Abe was super appreciative that Arenas saved the franchise when Jordan drove off steaming.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#1886 » by NatP4 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:37 am

Still holding out hope that Brad and Sheppard sit down and have a honest discussion about what’s best for both parties. Beal needs to go play competitive basketball on a playoff contender, and we need obviously need to rebuild for the future.

Brad has always been one of the smartest players in the league with a relatively small ego, I think there’s a happy ending here even if we move him.

Just take whatever lottery pick+expiring contracts you can get.
RealGM

Post#1887 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:22 am

doclinkin wrote:

To hear Arenas tell it, he was ready to bolt to a different team. Grunfeld was playing hardball with his agent because he was injured and Gil had one foot out the door feeling disrespected. Abe Pollin came down and said F-- all that, I told him I was going to take care of him and I will, give him whatever he wants. Abe was super appreciative that Arenas saved the franchise when Jordan drove off steaming.

Mom and pop right to the end. That sounds about right and I see why Jordan left angry. Jordan made this franchise hand over fist money.Being appreciative is just not good biz Ness.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1888 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:25 am

That said at least he wasn’t underhanded like Danny Ainge did with Washington Isaiah Thomas. (He both played at University of Washington plus he was a Washington Wizards player.) Ainge basically left IT rode wet and put out to dry in the cold, alone; after IT got injured playing in that playoff series for Boston.

I just criticized Abe Pollin but I believe he was honorable by keeping his word to Gilbert
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1889 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:29 am

Here is the one detail that I have not forgotten: Gilbert Arenas opted out of a deal in order to renegotiate a new deal. I would have let that dude walk. He had just come back and ruined what was Eddie Jordan‘s best coaching in my opinion.Washington made the playoffs with Antonio Daniels and DeShawn Stevenson playing pretty well together. Stevenson would go on to be part of a Dallas championship team.

Gilbert Requested and Required huge money for a lot of years, and I saw that it was too steep a price to pay before it was agreed-upon. Bradley Beal is not a $40 million a year player. It’s ridiculous to give him 50 million before the contract is up.

Look at Gordon Hayward with Charlotte. Do you really think Boston misses that guy at the price that he negotiated?
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1890 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:31 am

Bradley Beal please sign for the max money because you earned it.

I’m just saying I don’t think that the Wizards should pay it WITHOUT some roster changes.
Bye bye Beal.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1891 » by queridiculo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:26 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Bradley Beal please sign for the max money because you earned it.

I’m just saying I don’t think that the Wizards should pay it WITHOUT some roster changes.

This is all on Ted Leonsis.

He's about the repeat the same mistake he made with John Wall.

I would have no problem with maxing Beal had the Wizards managed to build a competitive team around him, but as predicted by many around here, the Wizards **** the bed and it's just not going to happen while Beal is in his prime.

Washington has handled the Beal situation so poorly that Brad opting out and moving to another team would probably be the best outcome for the Wizards.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,017

Post#1892 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:43 pm

queridiculo wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Bradley Beal please sign for the max money because you earned it.

I would have no problem with maxing Beal had the Wizards managed to build a competitive team around him, but as predicted by many around here, the Wizards **** the bed and it's just not going to happen while Beal is in his prime.

Washington has handled the Beal situation so poorly that Brad opting out and moving to another team would probably be the best outcome for the Wizards.

Yep. Best to worst.
1) Trade him before the trade deadline
2) He opts out and goes somewhere else
3) He resigns with the Wizards for the Max
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#1893 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:25 pm

queridiculo wrote:

I've been thinking the same, even though I get that letting him go for nothing is a bad thing. Something feels right to just let him walk from a fan perspective. Alas coming back to reality, it's a pipe dream at this point given Teddy. There aren't many legit options for him to walk to what would be an improvement in circumstances for him. San Antonio on paper would appear to be the biggest threat as they'll have cap and maybe they figure that Beal's flaws can be improved with "The Spurs' Way." One would imagine that they'd want to move one of White or Murray (I would guess White) if they were to make an effort.

Other than them, its kind of a situation where we are the last two people at the prom without a dancing partner, and while we may look awkward together, there's no other option but to embrace each other until the end of the night breakups begin. Of course teams could make moves to clear space, but as of today, this is the situation that we find ourselves in.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1894 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:16 am

Read on Twitter
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1895 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:12 pm

doclinkin wrote:

Yeah, it seemed like Polin said the Wizards would take care of Arenas if he came back towards the 2008 season since there was a risk of injury if he were to come back and play. Warriors had also offered the Arenas the max.

I also like the story where Arenas said about the Hughes negotiation. Grunfeld was playing hardball with Hughes and Hughes ended up leaving during a time when Abe Pollin was having an operation. When Pollin awoke from his surgery to hear the news, he was apparently crying.

Hughes certainly didn't mesh well with LeBron- but an Arenas/Hughes/Butler/Jamison/Haywood lineup always intrigued me. At least it it would have been good enough to beat LeBron's Cavs once. It's funny how many former Wizards have ended up playing with LeBron over the years (Hughes, Jamison, McGee, Howard, Markieff, Trevor Ariza, Westbrook).
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1896 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:24 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Here is the one detail that I have not forgotten: Gilbert Arenas opted out of a deal in order to renegotiate a new deal. I would have let that dude walk. He had just come back and ruined what was Eddie Jordan‘s best coaching in my opinion.Washington made the playoffs with Antonio Daniels and DeShawn Stevenson playing pretty well together. Stevenson would go on to be part of a Dallas championship team.

Gilbert Requested and Required huge money for a lot of years, and I saw that it was too steep a price to pay before it was agreed-upon. Bradley Beal is not a $40 million a year player. It’s ridiculous to give him 50 million before the contract is up.

Look at Gordon Hayward with Charlotte. Do you really think Boston misses that guy at the price that he negotiated?

Antonio Daniels kind of just fell apart after that playoff season. It looked like his body just couldn't handle being a full time starter at that state of his career. Part of the reason why they ended up trading Daniels for Crittenton IRRC (sigh)

Yeah, it was a bad move to fire Jordan at the time largely because Haywood/Arenas were inured. McGee was actually quite productive - not to mention the Wizards were somehow getting good minutes from Juan Dixon- the roster construction was coming to show finally in the 2008-09 season. At least the move from Jordan to Saunders was a significant downgrade. Eddie Jordan had his faults although certainly a better coach than Grunfeld was a GM. Andray Blatche being in Eddie Jordan's doghouse probably was justified looking back at how his career turned out.

That Arenas contract certainly didn't age well but actually think the Wizards did the most out of a bad situation- ended up trading that for Rashard Lewis which turned into Ariza/Okafor. Okafor got injured but Ariza proved to be valuable player that would help a team get to the championship level- as he was part of that Rockets team that took the Rockets to 7 against the Curry/Durant Warriors. Perhaps the Wizards could have done better with that cap space although they could have done much worse.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1897 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:05 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
queridiculo wrote:

Yep. Best to worst.
1) Trade him before the trade deadline
2) He opts out and goes somewhere else
3) He resigns with the Wizards for the Max

I'm not even sure option 3 is that bad if the Wizards go on to trade Beal afterwards.

Here were some of the trade offers that the Wizards were offered for Wall prior to him being injured.
https://www.bulletsforever.com/2018/12/5/18126193/john-wall-washington-wizards-los-angeles-lakers-rashomon
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,012

Post#1898 » by Dark Faze » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:41 pm

There's a scenario that could exist where Brads numbers continue to decline moving forward and his trade value falls with it, but yea, even then you'd get a positive asset back more likely than not, which is better than nothing.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#1899 » by closg00 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:34 pm

Beal is a one org lifer player like Dirk, he is going to sign a crazy off-season deal to stay in DC, that is what's going to happen. Beal will also have reason for optimism after Tommy does some kind of trade by the deadline, some player(s) here are going to be traded.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#1900 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:45 pm

closg00 wrote:Beal is a one org lifer player like Dirk, he is going to sign a crazy off-season deal to stay in DC, that is what's going to happen. Beal will also have reason for optimism after Tommy does some kind of trade by the deadline, some player(s) here are going to be traded.

I agree that this is likely. I also think it's bad for the franchise. I really do think the Beal era has run its course.

As I said before, I just don't think a coach has enough power to discipline Beal so long as he is the face of the franchise. And as long as Beal consistently takes plays off on defense while showing terrible body language, it's going to be impossible for the coach to demand excellence out of the rest of the roster.

I bear no ill will toward Beal. He's an excellent player and a good man, but I think it's best for everyone if he moves on. The team needs a new voice and a new direction. Other players need a reason to believe that this can one day be their team, rather than always playing second-fiddle to a guy who was never even a top 15 player in the league.

Return to Washington Wizards