Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#883 » by superunknown » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:53 am

Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 331

Post#884 » by Mac1958 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:57 am

I freakin' love this guy.

Coach him up, find him PT, watch him go.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,391

Post#885 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:34 pm

Happy to see they are running plays for him finally. And they finally are cutting when he draws the double team.

For a while there they had Secretariat on the team giving out pony rides at a kids park. His talent wasn’t being fully utilized. There’s still more they can unlock.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,769

Post#886 » by michaelm » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:52 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:Happy to see they are running plays for him finally. And they finally are cutting when he draws the double team.

For a while there they had Secretariat on the team giving out pony rides at a kids park. His talent wasn’t being fully utilized. There’s still more they can unlock.

The great thing is that he is a 2 year old Secretariat. There is more to come anyway.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,700

Post#887 » by whatisacenter » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:08 pm

compare Kuminga last night to the beginning of the season and you can see the new coaching hires already paying dividends. really looking forward to watching this guy continue to develop and the other young players as well!
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 828

Post#888 » by marthafokker » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:33 pm

The issue I had with JK's rotation last night was him standing in the corner.

I wanted him slashing to the basket. Even if he doesn't get the basketball for a dunk, he will draw a defender for someone with an open shot.

I rather have him in the paint than shooting 3s.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,493

Post#889 » by Skybox » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:44 pm

I love this kid...I'm an ORL fan and I'd trade our unprotected first this year for Kuminga. I think he's going to be really good - a smaller Giannis...not necessarily even an All-Star, but a difference maker on both ends, in various ways. His physical profile and his attacking mentality = star power...I think him spending a humbling season with GSW (before my hypothetical trade :D ) is the best thing for his development and potential. He's getting to see how to play a role and be accountable on a REAL championship team. If he had gone to ORL (or other young team in disarray) he might be ROY candidate, scoring 20 inefficient, selfish ppg and learning nothing about winning (see Jalen Green).Have Draymond yell out defensive mistakes until the deadline and then send him to us...
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#890 » by EvanZ » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:30 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Badly Browned wrote:
BongBoyKlay wrote:Why does Kuminga dunk with two hands a majority of the time? Does he have small hands?

I think he would finish some plays better if he went up with one hand like his dunk against the Suns would’ve been an and one if he went to dunk that with one hand. He has also shown that he has the ability to jump off one or two feet, but he usually only goes up off two feet.

He's shown one handed dunks in the G-League and Summer League, or do you mean being able to palm into one handed gathers like Jordan?

But yeah, I agree though. I feel like some of his attempts these past few weeks could've been one handed dunk attempts.

He missed two dunks in a row in the G league. Since then he’s been doing two handed dunks. It doesn’t really matter for him that much because he doesn’t have to leave the floor much to jam it, also there is more area for the defender to foul him with two arms up.

It’s been observed by some folks that he has relatively small hands. Probably has some grip issues going up with one hand.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,391

Post#891 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:52 am

EvanZ wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Badly Browned wrote:
He's shown one handed dunks in the G-League and Summer League, or do you mean being able to palm into one handed gathers like Jordan?

But yeah, I agree though. I feel like some of his attempts these past few weeks could've been one handed dunk attempts.

He missed two dunks in a row in the G league. Since then he’s been doing two handed dunks. It doesn’t really matter for him that much because he doesn’t have to leave the floor much to jam it, also there is more area for the defender to foul him with two arms up.

It’s been observed by some folks that he has relatively small hands. Probably has some grip issues going up with one hand.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Yeah noticed when they did a top view slow motion
video of his dunk. Doesn’t have complete grip on the ball. Seems like he is throwing it in. It really doesn’t matter, not everyone is born with Jordan and Kawhi hands. He’s blessed with being able to jump off two feet so effortlessly that he makes it up in other ways.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#892 » by watch1958 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:00 am

I thought I’d heard that he was purposely doing the two hand throw through to avoid banging the rim. Maybe I imagined that.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 828

Post#893 » by marthafokker » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:10 pm

Hell... I was hoping Wiseman STOP using one handed dunks. He fumbles so many going up with just one hand.

Wiseman and Kuminga are so quick going up, who cares how it looks like going in as long as it counts for 2.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#894 » by northoakland510 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:33 pm

Was listening to the Plus Minus podcast and they were saying Kerr wants Kuminga to play like rookie Shawn Marion. He watched film with him and showed him times where he was just out there floating around not doing much.
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#895 » by Badly Browned » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:53 pm

northoakland510 wrote:Was listening to the Plus Minus podcast and they were saying Kerr wants Kuminga to play like rookie Shawn Marion. He watched film with him and showed him times where he was just out there floating around not doing much.

Shawn Marion sounds like a good floor to me.

And in context I think Kerr was saying the Warriors development focus for rookie Kuminga is to get his motor high and constant.
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#896 » by watch1958 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:03 pm

Early in the season, Kerr said basically that the goal for the youngsters was to get them to play with purpose the entire time on the floor.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#897 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:15 pm

I have hilton armstrong pants every time I watch this kid play
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#898 » by HiRez » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:00 pm

It looked to me like Kuminga hurt his hand on one of those plays in the Minny game (same hand he already has some kind of brace on) and he kept trying to shake it off for a long time after. Hope it’s not something that lingers. But I think it was the left hand so maybe it’s not as critical.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Post#899 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:46 pm

HiRez wrote:It looked to me like Kuminga hurt his hand on one of those plays in the Minny game (same hand he already has some kind of brace on) and he kept trying to shake it off for a long time after. Hope it’s not something that lingers. But I think it was the left hand so maybe it’s not as critical.

Noticed the same.

I've *loved* watching him play the last two games. I had expressed concern earlier in the season that I didn't like to see him just lurking at the 3 point line so much. The last two games are more what I was hoping to see him do, with results that far exceeded what I would have had any right to expect. Very excited to see where he goes from here.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#900 » by Coxy » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:11 pm

On offence, when JK gets a big on him on the perimeter, he goes to the dribble drive. If he gets a smaller guy, he back them down and overpowers them. At this tender age, he already has a go to game that can be a 1 or 2 option for a team, it’s insane. As he works on his game and his shot, this will only get better and better as he understands the game more.

I agree with Kmac, Hilton Armstrong pants for this kid.

Return to Golden State Warriors