Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,480

Re: Jabari Smith Jr. - Auburn 

Post#141 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:22 pm

clyde21 wrote:i don't get these Ja-Ivey comps at all, Ja averaged 10 assists in college, one of the best assist rates of all time in college...Ivey's a secondary playmaker at best. Ja is/was MUCH more of a true PG than Ivey is and probably will be.

Ya facilitating is kind of one of his weak points. I mean he's the 4th best facilitator on his own college team at the moment. He has a 1.3:1 assist to turnover rate and this is while not being asked to be the primary facilitator.

This is why I continue to bring up his ideal role would be a LaVine/Ball or Mitchell/Conley kind of role. That is level of facilitator you can hope (not expect) to get from Ivey at the next level. Ivey is an on ball scorer who if everything goes right can be a solid secondary facilitator. Again that is if he progresses properly.

The only comparisons I see with Ja is the quickness (not explosion but quickness) and the form on the jumper. He's not close to the same level as a facilitator as Ja was coming out of college and its not like Ja was the next coming of Stockton, Nash or Malone.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,720

Post#142 » by spree8 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:20 pm

EvanZ wrote:
spree8 wrote:
Ivey I think will improve immensely once he hits the NBA game. I think the Ja/Mitchell comps are pretty close… let’s see what he can do with that speed on the next level… he’s gotta learn to maximize/get the most use of that skill.

Are we just ignoring the whole passing thing? Ja was on another level as a passer in college. I think Oladipo is probably a better upside comp for Ivey.

clyde21 wrote:i don't get these Ja-Ivey comps at all, Ja averaged 10 assists in college, one of the best assist rates of all time in college...Ivey's a secondary playmaker at best. Ja is/was MUCH more of a true PG than Ivey is and probably will be.

Not comparing Ivey to Morant in that aspect. That’s why I said Ja/Mitchell… shades of both. I’m referring to Ja’s athleticism, speed, above the rim style, shooting form, etc. I thought mentioning Mitchell (not a point guard) too kinda explained that but I guess I gotta spell it all out for some people.
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#143 » by clyde21 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:32 pm

someone being a true PG vs. a secondary playmaker or combo guard changes their entire archetype and paths to success in the NBA...you can comp their physical profiles all you want (still not even that good of a comp, Ivey is more DeAaron Fox than Ja Morant), but if their archetypes are not aligned then the comp becomes useless.
spree8
RealGM

Post#144 » by spree8 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:29 pm

clyde21 wrote:someone being a true PG vs. a secondary playmaker or combo guard changes their entire archetype and paths to success in the NBA...you can comp their physical profiles all you want (still not even that good of a comp, Ivey is more DeAaron Fox than Ja Morant), but if their archetypes are not aligned then the comp becomes useless.

Wrong. You compared Jabari to Tatum… practice what you preach. I’m not the only one to compare him to Ja in that regard…. I’ve seen countless amounts of them. You know, I’ve seen other posters call you out for your god complex… please sit down because you’re nothing close to an expert.

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
clyde21
RealGM

Post#145 » by clyde21 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:32 pm

spree8 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:someone being a true PG vs. a secondary playmaker or combo guard changes their entire archetype and paths to success in the NBA...you can comp their physical profiles all you want (still not even that good of a comp, Ivey is more DeAaron Fox than Ja Morant), but if their archetypes are not aligned then the comp becomes useless.

Wrong. You compared Jabari to Tatum… practice what you preach. I’m not the only one to compare him to Ja in that regard…. I’ve seen countless amounts of them. You know, I’ve seen other posters call you out for your god complex… please sit down because you’re nothing close to an expert.

lol...sorry i disagree with your comp?
spree8
RealGM

Post#146 » by spree8 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:
spree8 wrote:

lol...sorry i disagree with your comp?

Na, that ain’t it and you know it. I spelled it out for you, but you can keep playing stupid.

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#147 » by Skybox » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:03 pm

I see a lot of GSW fans on here...just for kicks, IF ORL gets the pick for Jabari, would you trade Kuminga and Moody for it?

where would Kuminga be in this draft?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#148 » by clyde21 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:37 pm

Skybox wrote:I see a lot of GSW fans on here...just for kicks, IF ORL gets the pick for Jabari, would you trade Kuminga and Moody for it?

it's tough, Moody was my #5 last year and Minga was my #8, for #1 this year in a weaker class. Minga has looked better than advertised so far and Moody's been killing it in the G League, but I love Jabari.

problem for Orlando is that Jabari and Franz will essentially play similar roles.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#149 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:19 pm

Skybox wrote:I see a lot of GSW fans on here...just for kicks, IF ORL gets the pick for Jabari, would you trade Kuminga and Moody for it?

I would take Kuminga #1 in this draft with no hesitation. So ya I wouldnt do a straight Kuminga #1 swap (assuming Jabari), let alone throwing in another young 1st round pick (and I’ve never been super high on Moody).
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#150 » by EvanZ » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:40 am

I'd trade Kuminga, Moody, and Wiesman for Jabari. :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,164

Post#151 » by God Squad » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:23 am

EvanZ wrote:

I'd trade Kuminga, Moody, and Wiesman for Jabari. :lol:

Because you think highly of Jabari? Or just not a fan the other guys?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#152 » by clyde21 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:50 am

Read on Twitter
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#153 » by WargamesX » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:34 am

Duke4life831 wrote:

I would take Kuminga #1 in this draft with no hesitation. So ya I wouldnt do a straight Kuminga #1 swap (assuming Jabari), let alone throwing in another young 1st round pick (and I’ve never been super high on Moody).

Is that because he’s shown upside in the NBA and is a more know quantity or do you think he is just a better overall players than everyone in this year’s draft?
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#154 » by Skybox » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:42 am

WargamesX wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Is that because he’s shown upside in the NBA and is a more know quantity or do you think he is just a better overall players than everyone in this year’s draft?

For me, it's all about upside with Kuminga...he hasn't gotten to show much this year, but he's even more valuable for having spent a humbling year learning team play in GS. If ORL drafted him, he'd be our leading scorer already, with awful habits and efficiency...his physical profile and mentality alone puts him way up in the draft and he showed a lot of promise (and made youthful mistakes) in the G league. Guys like Jabari, IMO, will almost certainly be good. Kuminga has bust potential but also STAR potential...I'm really not interested in just drafting "solid pieces" at the top of the draft.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#155 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:51 am

WargamesX wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Ive been a huge Kuminga guy for a long time. Just really love the sky high ceiling he has. The way he has played so far has just made me feel more confident in him.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#156 » by EMG518 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 3:07 pm

Can someone explain to me the case for him at #1. I am just not seeing what everyone else is. I don't see why someone would take him over an Ivey, Davis, or Chet although I guess people can be scared off of Chets weight, I am personally not but lets say Ivey and Davis then. Why would someone take Jabari over those two.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#157 » by EvanZ » Wed Feb 9, 2022 5:39 pm

EMG518 wrote:Can someone explain to me the case for him at #1. I am just not seeing what everyone else is. I don't see why someone would take him over an Ivey, Davis, or Chet although I guess people can be scared off of Chets weight, I am personally not but lets say Ivey and Davis then. Why would someone take Jabari over those two.

He's a year younger than Chet. He's two years younger than Ivey and Davis. He's 6'10" with a great frame and a lights out shooter.

How do people not see him as #1 is my question?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#158 » by EMG518 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 6:13 pm

EvanZ wrote:
EMG518 wrote:Can someone explain to me the case for him at #1. I am just not seeing what everyone else is. I don't see why someone would take him over an Ivey, Davis, or Chet although I guess people can be scared off of Chets weight, I am personally not but lets say Ivey and Davis then. Why would someone take Jabari over those two.

He's a year younger than Chet. He's two years younger than Ivey and Davis. He's 6'10" with a great frame and a lights out shooter.

That really doesnt explain why you should take him 1st overall.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#159 » by EvanZ » Wed Feb 9, 2022 6:36 pm

EMG518 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

That really doesnt explain why you should take him 1st overall.

It really does though, unless you don't think production accounting for age is important. Jabari is one of the most productive 18-year olds ever basically. And like I said, he's just about the perfect archetype for the modern game.

Again, what exactly do you not get? Explain to me what "you're not seeing".
clyde21
RealGM

Post#160 » by clyde21 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 6:47 pm

i think you need to explain why anyone else should be taken ahead of him.

Return to NBA Draft