2021-22 English Premier League Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,247

Re: 2021-22 English Premier League Discussion Thread 

Post#401 » by Baseline81 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:42 pm

The_Brecht wrote:It's simple. It's nearly impossible to have that many false positives.
It should be investigated.

Liverpool underwent at least two rounds of testing prior to the postponement. The first round, involving the use of lateral flow device (LFD) tests, highlighted a number of positive cases. The second round, involving the use of polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests carried out by an independent laboratory, also highlighted a number of positive cases. It wasn't until the third round where the false positives appeared.

Regardless, I again ask what benefit Liverpool receives from delaying the match. In fact, in doing so the club has lost the advantage of having the second leg at home.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#402 » by Foye » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:33 am

Are Newcastle really going to spend 25 mil. on freaking Chris Wood?

Jesus, things are getting out of control in the Premier League...
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,592

Post#403 » by Baphomet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:03 pm

Foye wrote:Are Newcastle really going to spend 25 mil. on freaking Chris Wood?

It's a relegation battle signing. While he isn't especially good, they desperately needed a Premier League experienced forward to replace the injured Callum Wilson. I'd wager that they probably offered less initially, but Burnley know how much money Newcastle have and the weakness of their negotiating stance, so they requested the whole release clause fee. He's a solid, unspectacular forward who can do a job when called upon and I suppose that's what they need.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#404 » by Baphomet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:04 pm

I think Arsenal or West Ham will get top four.

United and Spurs are **** and don't look up for it.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#405 » by HIF » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:54 am

Unlike Baph I think that Chris Wood is a decent player. He's a big man, who can hold the ball up well, win headers, pass to players and has a brain. He isn't a top half team striker but he's certainly a good lower half prem player and would be outstanding in the championship. The downside is that he doesn't have speed and is now 30 (still that's 5 years younger than Vardy).

Newcastle need anyone they can get at the moment because they are on a relegation path which they can ill afford. What is strange to me is that Burnley are willing to sell. They haven't been willing to sell players over the last few years - I'm thinking particularly of Tarkowski here - because they realise it'll mean they get relegated ad they are not the type of team that players are drawn to sign for. Now they intend to sign for a team which will probably go above them and ensure relegation. Staying up is worth far more than £25m to both teams.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Foye

Post#406 » by Foye » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:23 am

HIF wrote:

Unlike Baph I think that Chris Wood is a decent player. He's a big man, who can hold the ball up well, win headers, pass to players and has a brain. He isn't a top half team striker but he's certainly a good lower half prem player and would be outstanding in the championship. The downside is that he doesn't have speed and is now 30 (still that's 5 years younger than Vardy).

Newcastle need anyone they can get at the moment because they are on a relegation path which they can ill afford. What is strange to me is that Burnley are willing to sell. They haven't been willing to sell players over the last few years - I'm thinking particularly of Tarkowski here - because they realise it'll mean they get relegated ad they are not the type of team that players are drawn to sign for. Now they intend to sign for a team which will probably go above them and ensure relegation. Staying up is worth far more than £25m to both teams.

Burnley can buy Mateta from Mainz for 20 mil. I guarantee he is going to score more than the 3 goals that Wood has scored if given the same amount of minutes. He is a good finisher. Just struggles with putting in effort on defense. :lol:
HIF
RealGM

Post#407 » by HIF » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:36 pm

Foye wrote:
HIF wrote:

Burnley can buy Mateta from Mainz for 20 mil. I guarantee he is going to score more than the 3 goals that Wood has scored if given the same amount of minutes. He is a good finisher. Just struggles with putting in effort on defense. :lol:

I don't know Mateta so I can't talk about him but Wood knows the Prem which is very important in the relegation battle. I'm sure that you rate Werner and Havertz higher than wood (and probably mateta) but they are still trying to find their feet in what is a very different league to the bundesliga. Newcastle have got a player that can play for them this weekend and taken away a starter and an important morale piece from another relegation battling team. I'm surprised that Burnley agreed.

LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 850

Post#408 » by LDNMagic90 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:58 pm

Thing is with Newcastle, they need to actually survive in the prem in order for them to make better signings. Wood is not that bad of a striker in the prem he can get you goals, very traditional striker.

I think for Newcastle they can't do a City or Chelsea straight away. First of the need to improve their infrastructure, there's reports of there training ground having no upgrades in nearly 20 years I think (correct me if I'm wrong)? Second, they can on paper splash money in the next few windows however they need to stabilize themselves in order to seriously attract that level of player people expect them to get. They have struggled to get their first targets, so they are doing the next smartest thing in their position and thats to poach the other relegation rivals top players in order to survive.
HIF
RealGM

Post#409 » by HIF » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:52 am

So Liverpool Arsenal first shot on target is in the 71st minute. Only 2 in the whole match. I don't think they should be laughing at Burnley after that . :-)

Foye

Post#410 » by Foye » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:57 pm

HIF wrote:
Foye wrote:
HIF wrote:

I don't know Mateta so I can't talk about him but Wood knows the Prem which is very important in the relegation battle. I'm sure that you rate Werner and Havertz higher than wood (and probably mateta) but they are still trying to find their feet in what is a very different league to the bundesliga. Newcastle have got a player that can play for them this weekend and taken away a starter and an important morale piece from another relegation battling team. I'm surprised that Burnley agreed.

Even Lukakus goal scoring has decreased on Chelsea.That team is just incredibly deep to the point where it almost hurts the offensive players because they often find themselves on the bench and cant build rhythm.

Anyone of those players that may be looking like they are struggling at Chelsea…whether it is Havertz, Lukaku, Ziyech, Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi and even Werner would be the best Burnley and/or Newcastle players the second they step on the pitch for them.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#411 » by Baphomet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:05 pm

Well Arsenal are definitely going to make the top four if the FA and Premier League keep bending over for them.

Amazing that they managed to get the game postponed with only a few of their absences being COVID related, this is clearly completely driven by opportunistic self-interest. Don't want to hear them complain about Liverpool's shenanigans again.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#412 » by Baphomet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:15 pm

Coutinho is gravy, a player built for the Premier League. Villa did well to sign him.
HIF
RealGM

Post#413 » by HIF » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:31 am

Surprised that Spurs are so annoyed with Arsenal getting a postponement. They asked for and got at least one themselves, in fact aren't they the team who started this all off?

I can understand the injury rule the question is what is classed as an injury and what players are classed as being "senior" or able to be included. It must be much easier for a team like Arsenal than a team like Norwich to field a decent team even with injuries. I can agree with the AFCON problem too. It's not the team's fault that their players have been removed during the season to play for national teams. this is more a question of when National competitions should take place. For example we're stopping the entire league season next winter because european and south American players will also be representing their countries. The only big question I have is when teams like arsenal send players out on loan and then don't have enough players to play - that seems wrong to me.

HIF
RealGM

Post#414 » by HIF » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:36 am

Watched the Man city Chelsea match yesterday and enjoyed it. Man city were clearly the better team but they really need to play a striker and not someone like Foden as a fake 9. Foden was terrible, if they had kept Iheanacho he would have been the ideal player up front for them now. I feel sorry for Grealish, he's a very good player but is lost in the Man city system and I'm sure his confidence will start to leak. He should've stayed at Villa where he was superman. Sterling was outstanding. Chelsea decided they'd defend until conceding and never deserved anything more than the loss. They defended with 5 at the back well but they were always going to concede eventually. they were lucky it wasn't more and earlier. The midfield battled well but had no attacking intent and the attack was almost non-existent , Lukaka had no service, Ziyech was horribly bad and Pulisic invisible. Mount should have started or come on earlier and Werner just confirmed again what a poor buy he was. He's so second rate in the prem - no matter what foye says. ;-)

HIF
RealGM

Post#415 » by HIF » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:40 am

I also watched the Newcastle Watford game and it was a great watch. The crowd are so passionate and the players were full on blood and spirit stuff. Sure the quality was championship level but as an independent supporter it was a great match to watch. The two new signings will help Newcastle to survive, they played well yesterday and that'll translate into goals sooner rather than later. They need a couple of experienced defenders/defensive midfielders to secure the points required. Watford were poor until late in the second half but they do have a couple of mercurial attackers, can't see anything except relegation for them though.

HIF
RealGM

Post#416 » by HIF » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:41 am

Wonderful to see Norwich get a win, especially against Everton who I really don't like much. I can't see Norwich surviving but I'd rather have them in the prem than Everton.

The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#417 » by The_Brecht » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:17 am

Baphomet wrote:Well Arsenal are definitely going to make the top four if the FA and Premier League keep bending over for them.

Amazing that they managed to get the game postponed with only a few of their absences being COVID related, this is clearly completely driven by opportunistic self-interest. Don't want to hear them complain about Liverpool's shenanigans again.

Well, the rules are there.
Arsenal are allowed to ask for a postponement by these rules.

Wolves vs Arsenal was postponed after Wolves only had two covid cases. There wasn't any complaining then.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
The_Brecht
Starter

Post#418 » by The_Brecht » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:18 am

That's Benitez gone.
Was always going to be the case.

- Dust means thirsty.
The_Brecht
Starter

Post#419 » by The_Brecht » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:20 am

Tuchel complaining about Lukaku.
How about changing your football mindset and start playing to your players strengths instead of just defending deep and hope that one counter is enough.

Brilliant analysis by Shearer about the service to Lukaku and the way Chelsea plays.

- Dust means thirsty.
The_Brecht
Starter

Post#420 » by The_Brecht » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:32 am

Also, Butland back in the Prem.
You love to see it. Always liked him as a goalkeeper.

- Dust means thirsty.

Return to The General Soccer Board