Keegan Murray

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Re: Keegan Murray 

Post#41 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Jan 7, 2022 4:38 pm

elite production guys from major conferences (euros fall here as well) seem to find a way to make it work in the league even if there are things about their game we can pick apart - the exception might be big lumbering big men or really small guards - iow, guys whose bodies simply aren't nba fits.

how good murray will be, nobody knows, but he'll figure it out and be a productive rotation guy in the league at worst. and because of that, he's a guy you take in the top 14. but as a jazz fan, i hope like hell enough nba gms are stupid enough to let him slip and they can trade into the last part of the 1st round and grab him.

also, cpn crunch, i guess the hot streak comment didn't age too well. fact is, dude gets it done.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#42 » by Goldbum » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:04 am

If Portland picks up a 2nd first round pick(we will be in the lottery) this is my guy. I know I'll get blasted for this but I see some poor man's Jason Tatum in his game.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#43 » by The-Power » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:46 am

Goldbum wrote:If Portland picks up a 2nd first round pick(we will be in the lottery) this is my guy. I know I'll get blasted for this but I see some poor man's Jason Tatum in his game.

A second first? You mean a second one in the lottery? Because that's where he'll go unless a lot of teams screw up. Tatum is a lot more of a jump shooter (and had more advanced handles to create for himself), whereas Murray likes to operate closer to the basket even though I believe he'll be a reliable shooter at various distances in the NBA.

With players like him, people often ask ‘what's his elite skill?’. And while it's not the traditional answer, I will say that Murray's touch around the basket – with either hand and through contact – is ridiculously good. Also, that crunch-time defensive possession against Minnesota where he ended up with a block demonstrates his upside as a switch-defender in the NBA. That's important because he'll need to be a good defender considering that his path to becoming a high-end – and not just very useful – offensive player seems somewhat blocked by his limited playmaking instincts in college.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#44 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:43 am

Probably should take 2 lottery picks just for a chance to draft one Keegan Murray with how this mans is playing in the NCAA these days.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#45 » by Goldbum » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:17 pm

Yeah I really like the kid, I think his range is in the teens and I'm hoping Portland's pick is top 5. So we would need to acquire a second mod first to acquire him (Rumors are RoCo is going to return a 1st and an expiring).
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,508

Post#46 » by jezzerinho » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:25 pm

He really needs to be watched against credible opposition in multiple games before his draft range is set.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,905

Post#47 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:07 am

Get some TJ Warren vibes from him.

I like alot of his game but that 1.1 APG is pretty concerning given his usage, even if Iowa isnt a team with a ton of talent to pass to.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#48 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:30 am

just a nightmare eval imo, doesn't have really any elite traits or an outlier toolset, senior aged, but the production and efficiency are bonkers and does a lot of things at at least a passable level.

this guy could be Brandon Clarke, where he'll be serviceable in some capacity but high end and consistent production is capped, or just hits the NBA running and turns into a legitimate starter quickly.

i think both paths are equally likely and I might prefer to go someone younger with a higher potential ceiling in the lotto even tho it'd be riskier.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#49 » by EMG518 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:40 am

I personally love the idea of playing him at the 5 for smaller lineups and believe you can move him anywhere in the lineup depending on the matchup. I think he will be extremely versatile once in the league. I'm in on the guy. Definitely top 10 for me.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#50 » by SeattleJazzFan » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:44 pm

subpar scoring game last night in a low scoring contest, but i really like the fact that he had 13 boards in that game. guys are going to have off nights offensively, but his ability to contribute like that on an off night is impressive.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#51 » by The-Power » Mon Feb 7, 2022 10:23 am

One of his better passing games, an area where improvement is important for him.

Also, step-back 3s like the one at 1:38 are important signs for potentially untapped scoring versatility and upside.

MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#52 » by MemphisX » Mon Feb 7, 2022 10:47 am

Do not think he is an offensive player in the NBA at all. Scores in college but nothing real clean. Think he is really going to struggle against bigger more athletic NBA athletes.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#53 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 7, 2022 11:41 am

Thing is - he can score in so many ways - now that he looks more comfortable taking the 3 off the dribble - that I think he's gonna be hard to stop in today's NBA. There's a lot of dimensions to his game - at both ends. I'm a fan.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,715

Post#54 » by Ell Curry » Mon Feb 7, 2022 5:49 pm

I think he goes to Memphis with the Lakers pick. They could use a big forward and he's a solid rebounder which they could use at the 4 when they play Jaren Jackson at the 5.
Where's the D?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#55 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 7:15 pm

worth noting that in conference is metrics have dropped off considerably

37 PER -> 30 PER
63 TS% -> 58 TS%
.307 WS -> .207 WS

raw production as well relative to usg

that said, the prod was absolutely absurd to begin the year, i think a drop off was expected.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#56 » by The-Power » Mon Feb 7, 2022 7:30 pm

MemphisX wrote:Do not think he is an offensive player in the NBA at all. Scores in college but nothing real clean. Think he is really going to struggle against bigger more athletic NBA athletes.

I don't see him as someone who you can just throw the ball and tell him to go to work. But I do believe he's someone who can attack switches in the post, be effective in the pick and pop, finish around the rim on drop-offs and grab some offensive boards pretty much from day one. To say that this is ‘not an offensive player in the NBA at all’ is a bit odd to me. He's just not going to be your best offensive player. He's probably about as bust-proof as a player can be outside the absolute best prospects and part of that is his offensive versatility.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#57 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Tue Feb 8, 2022 4:44 am

clyde21 wrote:worth noting that in conference is metrics have dropped off considerably

37 PER -> 30 PER
63 TS% -> 58 TS%
.307 WS -> .207 WS

raw production as well relative to usg

that said, the prod was absolutely absurd to begin the year, i think a drop off was expected.

37 PER, I can't believe I ever believed in this bum. He is my bolbol. You fool, GWS, you absolute FOOL.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#58 » by MemphisX » Tue Feb 8, 2022 5:30 am

The-Power wrote:
MemphisX wrote:Do not think he is an offensive player in the NBA at all. Scores in college but nothing real clean. Think he is really going to struggle against bigger more athletic NBA athletes.

I don't see him as someone who you can just throw the ball and tell him to go to work. But I do believe he's someone who can attack switches in the post, be effective in the pick and pop, finish around the rim on drop-offs and grab some offensive boards pretty much from day one. To say that this is ‘not an offensive player in the NBA at all’ is a bit odd to me. He's just not going to be your best offensive player. He's probably about as bust-proof as a player can be outside the absolute best prospects and part of that is his offensive versatility.

When I watch him, I do not think most of the stuff he does in college to score is going to be effective in the NBA. No different than 100s of other guys who scored well in college. Just watch his finishes in the paint. Or the fact he is posting up so much. How little separation he gets off the dribble and his inability to blow by college defenders. Would not be happy if the team I rooted for took him in the lottery. Just a lot of better prospects in this draft.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
The-Power
General Manager

Post#59 » by The-Power » Tue Feb 8, 2022 10:23 am

MemphisX wrote:When I watch him, I do not think most of the stuff he does in college to score is going to be effective in the NBA. No different than 100s of other guys who scored well in college. Just watch his finishes in the paint. Or the fact he is posting up so much. How little separation he gets off the dribble and his inability to blow by college defenders. Would not be happy if the team I rooted for took him in the lottery. Just a lot of better prospects in this draft.

I do, and he has elite touch around the rim. That translates. As for separation off the dribble and inability to blow by defenders: that's what you look for in your primary or secondary option. The other aspects that I pointed out are a lot more important for a player with his NBA role.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,243

Post#60 » by SNPA » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:10 pm

Seems like he might fit with Sabonis in Sac.

Return to NBA Draft