ImageImageImage

Conversion Complete

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,635

Conversion Complete 

Post#1 » by benhillboy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:24 pm

I’m a 40 year old that has followed the Hawks due to being born and raised in Atlanta but it’s over now. I’ve been a Jimmy fanatic since he was a rookie; he is my favorite player of All Time along with Steph (Jimmy has a better career net rating than LeBron if you weren’t aware. I will cite net ratings pretty regularly because I’ve found them to be terribly accurate as I can guess them very well with only a few box columns and player recollection).

I’ve been a Spo fan since he fashioned the best defensive and team-oriented version of the aforementioned LeBron. Buying the Heat league pass sometime today. Would’ve happened much earlier if not for Mike Budenholzer’s tenure where I truly learned about some of the nuts and bolts of Popovich Play. You all have enjoyed this for some time as Spo has adopted so much from Pop (and probably improved upon some things as he approaches Phil Jackson’s career win total).

I just respect the heck out of the continuity and no-nonsense approach of the franchise top to bottom. I view 80% of the league in an opposite light.

Hawks fans are a pretty casual lot, even the more knowledgeable ones. I was a member of a Hawks message board with hundreds of contributors but I’m the only one who realizes Delon Wright (120 O Rating, 114 D Rating) has been considerably better than Trae Young (115/ 117) without having to cite advanced metrics. I wanted to join a community who doesn’t see that as a “hot take” (and familiar with his brother lol). Y’all know Spo wouldn’t dare play a player with Trae Young’s profile (non-arguably the worst combination of off ball play and defending in the Association), on-ball mastery be damned.

I know you all saw the difference in this past two-game set (Wright +5, Young -35).” Delon extended the defense into the backcourt with a solid point of attack and made sound decisions. Young unbalances the defense on every play, has to be hidden from the point of attack, and commits horrible turns because he doesn’t understand non-assist, possessing-advancing passing. Kyle Lowry has historically dominated Trae only playing at about 75% intensity. Along with a host of BUs who care about defense and ball protection.

Floor Game isn’t readily apparent to a majority of NBA viewers: how a great one piles up wins (Jimmy, Kyle) and an awful one (Trae Young, Dame Lilliard, Westbrick) contributes to losing. They can’t fathom how certain high usage, high volume guys hurt their teams’ offense with predictability and shaky chemistry. Many times the Heat send out 5 guys with well above average spatial recognition, defensive effort and IQ, off ball prowess, shot selection, unselfishness, boxing out, adherence to scouting, and about a dozen other facets of great floor approach. A player like Tyler doesn’t pile up rebounds deep in the playoffs without a coach who brow-beats it out of him like Spo. Who else would’ve turned Kendrick Nunn into a good starter? Nurse is a long shot.

So y’all are stuck with me. When Bam returns (and Oladipo sometime this decade) the East is gonna be a stick of margarine for the heated katana sword that is the Heat.

I’m from a neighborhood in Atlanta called Ben Hill but maybe I change my name to “Biscayne Boy?” I like the ring of it lol.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,368

Re: Conversion Complete 

Post#2 » by RexBoyWonder » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:12 pm

You are welcome to the culture brother ben.

beware of demon OP and enjoy your first championship.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
JLop
Analyst
And1: 7,833

Post#3 » by JLop » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:20 pm

Welcome to the Forum, benhillboy. Do not feel pressure to change your nickname. Take your time and make friends. You will find many members with a vast knowledge of basketball. I am looking forward to reading your comments. Good luck!
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,008

Post#4 » by DayofMourning » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:39 pm

Welcome to the board! I like the angle at which you view the game after reading your essay. Happy to have you.
insfo
General Manager
And1: 10,874

Post#5 » by insfo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:16 pm

Welcome BHB!

We are like most fan bases, a quirky mix of personalities who all have their fair shake of hot takes! Hope you stick around to see them all :lol:

Agree with a lot of things you said, but not the Trae/Wright comparison. Trae affects the game in a way that Wright can never ever. Spo said something to the effect of having to stretch the defense much farther away from the basket because of Trae’s range. That’s a team having to game plan because of one single player. Not happening for Wright.

But, on the flip side, I truly believe that if Young played for the Heat, Spo would not bench him like you suggest, but we’d see a more efficient version of him.

Love JC as well, and it was sad to see him be such a bit part player. Not sure if the last 2 games were outliers, but a lot of times I had to do a double take when I realized he was on the court.

Welcome again!
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,635

Post#6 » by benhillboy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:19 pm

insfo wrote:Welcome BHB!

We are like most fan bases, a quirky mix of personalities who all have their fair shake of hot takes! Hope you stick around to see them all :lol:

Agree with a lot of things you said, but not the Trae/Wright comparison. Trae affects the game in a way that Wright can never ever. Spo said something to the effect of having to stretch the defense much farther away from the basket because of Trae’s range. That’s a team having to game plan because of one single player. Not happening for Wright.

But, on the flip side, I truly believe that if Young played for the Heat, Spo would not bench him like you suggest, but we’d see a more efficient version of him.

Love JC as well, and it was sad to see him be such a bit part player. Not sure if the last 2 games were outliers, but a lot of times I had to do a double take when I realized he was on the court.

Welcome again!

Thanks for the welcome! Be honest though, I’ve seen players sent to Spo’s doghouse for much less than this type of effort. He likely busted a gut laughing at it on film today from a $190 million franchise face:

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?ContextMeasure=STL&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=28800&GameID=0022100636&PlayerID=200782&RangeType=0&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612748&flag=1&sct=plot&section=game

That’s quite unlike Trae to not fire off a behind the back bounce pass once he saw the double but he was clearly apprehensive of PJ, as he should’ve been. The screen attempt by Huerter was quite poor, gotta make contact. But this play encompasses Trae’s fatal flaws in a nutshell: not getting off the ball at the appropriate time to empower his teammates and nonexistent physicality. Can’t have a floor burn now can we!
HEAT_ME_UP
Junior
And1: 363

Post#7 » by HEAT_ME_UP » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:05 pm

Welcome! I am Looking forward to reading your posts
goodboys lats
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,159

Post#8 » by goodboys lats » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:08 am

Welcome. Hope you've been working out your lats. If you could get into gamethreads before Iggy you'll make a lot of friends here.
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,302

Post#9 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:52 pm

Welcome

I would like to talk to you about Tyler Herro and his inefficiency and invite you to our weekly meeting . Do you have a moment OP
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 33,747

Post#10 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:17 pm

benhillboy wrote:I’m a 40 year old that has followed the Hawks due to being born and raised in Atlanta but it’s over now. I’ve been a Jimmy fanatic since he was a rookie; he is my favorite player of All Time along with Steph (Jimmy has a better career net rating than LeBron if you weren’t aware. I will cite net ratings pretty regularly because I’ve found them to be terribly accurate as I can guess them very well with only a few box columns and player recollection).

I’ve been a Spo fan since he fashioned the best defensive and team-oriented version of the aforementioned LeBron. Buying the Heat league pass sometime today. Would’ve happened much earlier if not for Mike Budenholzer’s tenure where I truly learned about some of the nuts and bolts of Popovich Play. You all have enjoyed this for some time as Spo has adopted so much from Pop (and probably improved upon some things as he approaches Phil Jackson’s career win total).

I just respect the heck out of the continuity and no-nonsense approach of the franchise top to bottom. I view 80% of the league in an opposite light.

Hawks fans are a pretty casual lot, even the more knowledgeable ones. I was a member of a Hawks message board with hundreds of contributors but I’m the only one who realizes Delon Wright (120 O Rating, 114 D Rating) has been considerably better than Trae Young (115/ 117) without having to cite advanced metrics. I wanted to join a community who doesn’t see that as a “hot take” (and familiar with his brother lol). Y’all know Spo wouldn’t dare play a player with Trae Young’s profile (non-arguably the worst combination of off ball play and defending in the Association), on-ball mastery be damned.

I know you all saw the difference in this past two-game set (Wright +5, Young -35).” Delon extended the defense into the backcourt with a solid point of attack and made sound decisions. Young unbalances the defense on every play, has to be hidden from the point of attack, and commits horrible turns because he doesn’t understand non-assist, possessing-advancing passing. Kyle Lowry has historically dominated Trae only playing at about 75% intensity. Along with a host of BUs who care about defense and ball protection.

Floor Game isn’t readily apparent to a majority of NBA viewers: how a great one piles up wins (Jimmy, Kyle) and an awful one (Trae Young, Dame Lilliard, Westbrick) contributes to losing. They can’t fathom how certain high usage, high volume guys hurt their teams’ offense with predictability and shaky chemistry. Many times the Heat send out 5 guys with well above average spatial recognition, defensive effort and IQ, off ball prowess, shot selection, unselfishness, boxing out, adherence to scouting, and about a dozen other facets of great floor approach. A player like Tyler doesn’t pile up rebounds deep in the playoffs without a coach who brow-beats it out of him like Spo. Who else would’ve turned Kendrick Nunn into a good starter? Nurse is a long shot.

So y’all are stuck with me. When Bam returns (and Oladipo sometime this decade) the East is gonna be a stick of margarine for the heated katana sword that is the Heat.

I’m from a neighborhood in Atlanta called Ben Hill but maybe I change my name to “Biscayne Boy?” I like the ring of it lol.

Welcome brother! I’ve been saying Jimmy is top 8 for years now because he’s great on both sides of the ball and as you stated his impact is very elite. He’s always top 5 impact wise I feel like.
#FreeBam
#FreeJimmy
#FreeDuncan
#FreeTerry
#FreeWright
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,433

Post#11 » by gom » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:39 am

benhillboy, welcome home!
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
dshearn
Sixth Man
And1: 2,925

Post#12 » by dshearn » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:54 am

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:Welcome

I would like to talk to you about Tyler Herro and his inefficiency and invite you to our weekly meeting . Do you have a moment OP

haha .....rotfl

We have an early entry for post of the year.... :D :D :D

Return to Miami Heat