PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics]

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#1161 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Jan 7, 2022 3:30 am

Movics wrote:What basketball books would you guys recommend? Dream Team, Three Ring Circus, Showtime, When the garden was eden, Loose Balls, When the Game Was Ours, eleven rings, the book of basketball, and Shaq’s biography are in my collection already. I’d really appreciate books that focus on the pre merger times

The Rivalry by John Taylor. (about Chamberlain vs Russell).
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 652

Post#1162 » by Movics » Fri Jan 7, 2022 6:58 pm

Thank you all, I just ordered your recommendations. Blood in the Garden by Chris Herring is coming out on the 26th, a book on the 90’s Knicks.
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Post#1163 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jan 8, 2022 8:57 pm

Movics wrote:What basketball books would you guys recommend? Dream Team, Three Ring Circus, Showtime, When the garden was eden, Loose Balls, When the Game Was Ours, eleven rings, the book of basketball, and Shaq’s biography are in my collection already. I’d really appreciate books that focus on the pre merger times

Russell's book Go Up for Glory - cool part is it came out in 1965
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,517

Post#1164 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:33 pm

My brother really enjoys all those sports talk shows. I rarely watch em. Anyway hanging out with him I listened to a bunch of the Fox guys for the first time in years.

Coming away from it, I actually understand why Skip is succesful on TV. If you listen to him during his rants the same way you listen to a heel wrestler give a promo he's enjoyable. He's full of BS. Basically acknowledges it and Shannon has real charisma. More importantly the show tries to keep a fun vibe. Both of them spend 10 minutes making a 30 second point but whatever. I can see why people listen to it during their commute.

For the life of me I can't get why anyone would listen to Cowherd. He's joyless and sanctimonious. I don't even get the impression he enjoys sports. He certainly can't convey enjoyment. He'll also spend ten minutes making the same point but does it in a miserable way.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,965

Post#1165 » by falcolombardi » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:14 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:My brother really enjoys all those sports talk shows. I rarely watch em. Anyway hanging out with him I listened to a bunch of the Fox guys for the first time in years.

Coming away from it, I actually understand why Skip is succesful on TV. If you listen to him during his rants the same way you listen to a heel wrestler give a promo he's enjoyable. He's full of BS. Basically acknowledges it and Shannon has real charisma. More importantly the show tries to keep a fun vibe. Both of them spend 10 minutes making a 30 second point but whatever. I can see why people listen to it during their commute.

For the life of me I can't get why anyone would listen to Cowherd. He's joyless and sanctimonious. I don't even get the impression he enjoys sports. He certainly can't convey enjoyment. He'll also spend ten minutes making the same point but does it in a miserable way.

people sometimes enjoy seeing someone complain about thinghs in righteous anger i guess
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,517

Post#1166 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:16 pm

falcolombardi wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:My brother really enjoys all those sports talk shows. I rarely watch em. Anyway hanging out with him I listened to a bunch of the Fox guys for the first time in years.

people sometimes enjoy seeing someone complain about thinghs in righteous anger i guess

I have a boss for that
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,567

Post#1167 » by Colbinii » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:19 pm

Its a shame someone with a different view point [Johnathan Isaac] is being used as a puppet by Ben Shapiro.

Another one bites the dust
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,355

Post#1168 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:47 pm

Colbinii wrote:Its a shame someone with a different view point [Johnathan Isaac] is being used as a puppet by Ben Shapiro.

What leads you to believe that Isaac's political viewpoint is distinct from Shapiro's?

In football, when Aaron Rodgers speaks it's really clear that his view point is just a collection of talking points from political media sources. What gives you the impression Isaac is different?
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,584

Post#1169 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:10 pm

I grew up with a Washington legend named Ken Beatrice. Massively knowledgeable about everything from international sports to Division 2 football. Like listening to Marty Blake talk about the draft except about almost everything. Spoiled me for talk radio; it seems all they do is pick blowhards with shallow knowledge and hot takes. It's part of what led me here, to listen to people who know more about the sport than I do and hopefully learn as well as participate.

As for Shapiro, I enjoy watching him debate equally knowledgeable opponents with different viewpoints or on a show like Bill Mahrer's but all too often, he just comes across as a bully on his own show.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,965

Post#1170 » by falcolombardi » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:40 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Its a shame someone with a different view point [Johnathan Isaac] is being used as a puppet by Ben Shapiro.

What leads you to believe that Isaac's political viewpoint is distinct from Shapiro's?

In football, when Aaron Rodgers speaks it's really clear that his view point is just a collection of talking points from political media sources. What gives you the impression Isaac is different?

i dont think this is the correct way to think about it

people who share somethingh in common like antivaxxw beliefs are not a single circle venn diagram in their political beliefs

thst conspiracy thinking, antivaxxing, etc are all present strongly from the left end of the polítical Extreme to the furthernost right is the proof
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#1171 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:05 am

Skip is literally paid millions of dollars per year to be a professional troll. It's mind boggling. His only concession is being a public mockery but he's clearly fine with it.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#1172 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:55 pm

falcolombardi wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

i dont think this is the correct way to think about it

people who share somethingh in common like antivaxxw beliefs are not a single circle venn diagram in their political beliefs

thst conspiracy thinking, antivaxxing, etc are all present strongly from the left end of the polítical Extreme to the furthernost right is the proof

Okay so let me say first that we may need to halt the conversation because it does involve politics, and if we do, I apologize for me perhaps stoking that further.

My point though was less about politics than it was about identifying sources of knowledge. While I wouldn't assume that the entirety of a person's beliefs are based on a single source, we do know that people are being profoundly shaped by the media they consume, and thus when someone is revealed to be in alignment with a political source, this doesn't surprise me. What's more surprising, and more interesting, is when a person clearly diverges from any particular source, and this was what I was asking about with Isaac.

On Rodgers: The thing is that I've just seen so much use of erudite vocabulary from the populace shortly after a particular phrase becomes repeated in political media. I'm a teacher and so one of the things I'm getting inundated with right now are questions about critical race theory. Where the hell did this come from? Surely not based on the populace randomly getting obsessed with the influence of Immanuel Kant's key works and their descendants. It's happening because media sources are telling them that this thing they've never heard of is a huge problem, and them repeating it typically without seeking to understand the intellectual foundations of the ideas.

Colbinii
RealGM

Post#1173 » by Colbinii » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:22 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:

Johnathan Isaac appears to have a deeply religious background and his morals appear to be shaped directly from this while Shapiro's ideology is built upon making money off a mindless group of idiots who refuse to ever think beyond themselves.

I think you're misreading what I originally wrote though. I didn't say Isaac and Shapiro have different view points, I said Isaac has a differing view point [in comparison to most of the NBA] and Ben Shapiro is quick to jump on this individual.

He is much younger and has an extremely strong religious background.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#1174 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:42 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Johnathan Isaac appears to have a deeply religious background and his morals appear to be shaped directly from this while Shapiro's ideology is built upon making money off a mindless group of idiots who refuse to ever think beyond themselves.

I think you're misreading what I originally wrote though. I didn't say Isaac and Shapiro have different view points, I said Isaac has a differing view point [in comparison to most of the NBA] and Ben Shapiro is quick to jump on this individual.

He is much younger and has an extremely strong religious background.

Appreciate the clarifications and yeah, as I alluded to, we need to tread really carefully with the "idiots" stuff.

Here's the thing that was really on my mind:

There's nothing in the Bible that says anything about whether it's appropriate to protest a government by kneeling during a governmental anthem, so we must ask where Isaac got this idea from. It may well have come from specific religious figures in his life (including family) where none of the reason seemed at all political...but given that one political faction drove the criticism of these kneeling protests, to me that says it is very unlikely that Isaac's beliefs here - even if he thinks they aren't from political factions - do not have their roots in political talking points.

As such, when Isaac writes a book that embraces a direct connection to that political faction above all else - he's not collaborating with a religious leader - this seems to be confirming something that I think many suspected right from the jump. Disappointing perhaps, but I wouldn't call it surprising unfortunately.

MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#1175 » by MisterHibachi » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:43 am

I'm not a baseball fan and don't know much about the history of the sport but a guy like this not being in the Hall of Fame seems insanity. I don't even know what the NBA equivalent of this would be.

Read on Twitter
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,505

Post#1176 » by GSP » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:54 am

MisterHibachi wrote:I'm not a baseball fan and don't know much about the history of the sport but a guy like this not being in the Hall of Fame seems insanity. I don't even know what the NBA equivalent of this would be.

Read on Twitter

I dont know diddly about baseball either but is this b/c of the steroid stuff?
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#1177 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:38 am

MisterHibachi wrote:I'm not a baseball fan and don't know much about the history of the sport but a guy like this not being in the Hall of Fame seems insanity. I don't even know what the NBA equivalent of this would be.

Read on Twitter

Not having Lebron in the HOF, basically.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#1178 » by Colbinii » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:18 pm

GSP wrote:

Read on Twitter

I dont know diddly about baseball either but is this b/c of the steroid stuff?

Yeah, which is unfortunate, because the entire era was filled with people using them.

Young Bonds [pre-steroids] was a 40 HR/40 Steals type player, already a generational athlete in baseball.

The Clip Mister Hibachi posted is the equivalent of intentionally fouling Steph Curry when you are up 2 because you are worried he will hit a 3.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#1179 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Achievement and era wise, this is leaving out Jordan.

Every time people bash the basketball Hall I shake my head because the baseball HOF - often held up as the gold standard - is the one with true problems.

The voters there do all sorts of things that make no sense from a perspective of what a Hall of Fame museum is for.

1. Valuing immensely raw cumulative stats over superstars or champions. A guy who no fan cares about who just plays long enough will get in.

2. Making “first ballot” a thing to the point where there are some voters who basically never end up voting for the greats of the game - they get in in first ballot with non-unanimous votes.

3. And no worst of all holding a purity line in the steroid era that doesn’t make because a) there have always been known cheaters in the hall, b) they are still voting steroid users in just not the faces of steroids, c) the MLB looked the other way for so long that a guy like Bonds started using in order to compete with those he knew were juicing, and thus when voters hold the line they essentially censor the history of the highest quality (and last popular) era.

There’s no sport I know of where tradition and culture has gotten more ass backwards than baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colbinii
RealGM

Post#1180 » by Colbinii » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:59 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:

Read on Twitter

Achievement and era wise, this is leaving out Jordan.

Every time people bash the basketball Hall I shake my head because the baseball HOF - often held up as the gold standard - is the one with true problems.

The voters there do all sorts of things that make no sense from a perspective of what a Hall of Fame museum is for.

1. Valuing immensely raw cumulative stats over superstars or champions. A guy who no fan cares about who just plays long enough will get in.

2. Making “first ballot” a thing to the point where there are some voters who basically never end up voting for the greats of the game - they get in in first ballot with non-unanimous votes.

3. And no worst of all holding a purity line in the steroid era that doesn’t make because a) there have always been known cheaters in the hall, b) they are still voting steroid users in just not the faces of steroids, c) the MLB looked the other way for so long that a guy like Bonds started using in order to compete with those he knew were juicing, and thus when voters hold the line they essentially censor the history of the highest quality (and last popular) era.

There’s no sport I know of where tradition and culture has gotten more ass backwards than baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's not forget recently the MLB Commissioner had the power to fire one of the most popular MLB Network correspondences because he criticizes the Commissioners actions during the 2020 Pandemic.

Or how Rob Manfield [The MLB Commissioner] knew about the Astros cheating and attempted to cover-up what had happened in order to protect Baseball--the sport with significantly more cheating than any other sport.

I grew up playing and loving baseball more than any other sports. By my late-teen years I couldn't stand it.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022

Return to Player Comparisons