Welcome to OKC Aleksej POKUsevski

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,168

Re: Welcome to OKC Aleksej POKUsevski 

Post#181 » by Mickey8 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:34 pm

If he can get stronger and put some quality mass on that frame, he's the multiple all star player at least, I mean its hard to find 7 footer being so smooth with the ball in his hands, the way he dribbles , taking not just the tall players off the dribble but the guards as well , its very impressive . When he gets stronger , his shooting will improve, those jump shots off the dribble will go in regularly , we know he can pass too. Its all about his physical development. If he's able to improve his body he will have successful NBA career. And then OKC will have to make the choice between Pokusevski or Bazley . I have noticed that Pokusevski plays very bad when he shares floor with Bazley , Bazley is the ball dominate player so he cancels Pokusevski game.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,026

Post#182 » by slick_watts » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:30 pm

multiple all-star at least? huh? this guy was one of the worst players in the league, and perhaps one of the worst 1st round pick rookies ever for most of the season.

going from his rookie season, even making it to 'positive contributor' would be a big accomplishment.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#183 » by bbms » Mon Aug 2, 2021 5:37 am

Pokusevski can be a very high impact player if he cleans up his shooting. There's definitely no middle ground here. From his tape I think 17th pick is about right but he definitely shown flashes of possibly ending up as one of the best players of his class.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#184 » by spearsy23 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 11:27 pm

I'd caution that shooting variance is easily mistaken for potential.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#185 » by Old Man Game » Tue Aug 3, 2021 1:53 pm

I don't know enough to guess but for what its worth, Ryen Russillo a few months back on the Bill Simmons podcast when discussing Poku (he was sort of a running joke on that pod all season) said something to the effect of 'when you talk to scouts they're still super high on him. I don't see it but scouts think there's something there.'
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#186 » by spearsy23 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 5:41 pm

Old Man Game wrote:I don't know enough to guess but for what its worth, Ryen Russillo a few months back on the Bill Simmons podcast when discussing Poku (he was sort of a running joke on that pod all season) said something to the effect of 'when you talk to scouts they're still super high on him. I don't see it but scouts think there's something there.'

I think that makes sense to an extent. He exceeded my expectations the second half of last year. Granted, that's because of how low they were to begin with. But the things he was drafted for proved to exist, now he just has to learn how to do everything basketball related.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#187 » by nolang1 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 12:43 am

spearsy23 wrote:I'd caution that shooting variance is easily mistaken for potential.

In this case shooting variance would be reason to be optimistic on him, no? He started the season on an awful slump from three, his free throw percentages compared to his three-point percentages have always suggested a regression to the mean in a positive direction, and there have there have been plenty of other skinny teenage rookies who struggled from three (KD, Trae, etc.). He's also extra aggressive in taking them in the first place, which dampened his numbers and isn't likely to happen on a non-tanking team with better players.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,168

Post#188 » by Mickey8 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:03 am

Does anyone know if Pokusevski gain any weight or if he got some muscles , he didn't participate in the summer league, so I guess he was working on his body.
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#189 » by namlede » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:38 pm

thoughts on Poku after his first 2 seasons?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#190 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:39 am

namlede wrote:thoughts on Poku after his first 2 seasons?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app

Maybe. But I doubt it.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#191 » by timO » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:18 pm

he was clearly not nba ready

he needed to expend this 2 years in europe and come now...

hes still 20 some guys in this draft are older, Holmgren the pick 1 is only 5 months younger

he improves at least a litle this year, shooting 34 to 41%

The 3 point shot still bad 28 to 29%

and less turnovers
EnragedThunder
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#192 » by EnragedThunder » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:00 pm

I had hope, but unfortunately this was not a good draft pick in terms of making it back to the playoffs.

Like Roberson, the GM needs to move past his philosophy of drafting experimental type players with hopeful potential, and instead he must draft players that are 100% NBA ready.

If not, he's going to be left in the dust and its already started. Several people I know have lost interest in the Thunder and its not surprising when its hard to even see them on TV.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#193 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:13 am

EnragedThunder wrote:I had hope, but unfortunately this was not a good draft pick in terms of making it back to the playoffs.

Like Roberson, the GM needs to move past his philosophy of drafting experimental type players with hopeful potential, and instead he must draft players that are 100% NBA ready.

If not, he's going to be left in the dust and its already started. Several people I know have lost interest in the Thunder and its not surprising when its hard to even see them on TV.

This isn’t going to happen. If you have two hours to listen to Presti’s exit interview.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,077

Post#194 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:15 pm

here comes our future MVP

Read on Twitter
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 817

Post#195 » by 1bigfan13 » Sun May 1, 2022 12:39 pm

EnragedThunder wrote:I had hope, but unfortunately this was not a good draft pick in terms of making it back to the playoffs.

I've said the same thing about Presti's draft philosophy.

I lost some interest in the team as well. I'm still a fan but for the first time in over a decade I didn't purchase NBA League pass because I had no interest in paying $200 just to watch a team purposely tank and shut down their best players. I watched about about 20 games this year either on NBA TV or thru various streams....other than that, I just followed the season through the box scores.

I also hate how Thunder fans have bought into the asinine notion that rebuilds have to take ~5 years.

I've actually had Thunder fans tell me Poku was the right pick over Bane just because Bane was ready to contribute immediately and he wouldn't fit our rebuild timeline.

What?!?! Excuse me for assuming the purpose of the draft was to add the best player available. Bane would have been a huge help with the rebuild. I'm sure SGA would love to be able to play with an elite shooter on the court who could create more space for him to operate.

If the Thunder actually placed a little more prirotiy on drafting experienced players whose bodies are also NBA ready, that rebuild timeline could easily be cut to 3 years.
Johnston797
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#196 » by Johnston797 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:22 pm

Poku had a nice year. Doubled his PER. FG% improved from 34% to 41%. +/- improved dramatically especially on the defensive side of the ball which matched the eye test. Clearly, worked on his body and gained critical strength. Looks to be able to guard 2-5 a year or two down the line. Clearly, the swing skill is distance shooting. He will make a lot of money in the NBA if we becomes an average 3pt shooter or better given his ability to shoot on the move and all his other skills.
Tankathon is my 2nd home!
Johnston797
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#197 » by Johnston797 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:32 pm

1bigfan13 wrote:I also hate how Thunder fans have bought into the asinine notion that rebuilds have to take ~5 years.

I've actually had Thunder fans tell me Poku was the right pick over Bane just because Bane was ready to contribute immediately and he wouldn't fit our rebuild timeline.

What?!?! Excuse me for assuming the purpose of the draft was to add the best player available. Bane would have been a huge help with the rebuild. I'm sure SGA would love to be able to play with an elite shooter on the court who could create more space for him to operate.

If the Thunder actually placed a little more prirotiy on drafting experienced players whose bodies are also NBA ready, that rebuild timeline could easily be cut to 3 years.

Yea, clearly a pick of a Bane over a Poku is the right call. If you can pick the one guy at the end of the first round whom is a top 5 pick in a re-draft, you should take it. No way Presti argues that. Trade him then for more draft picks if you needed.

But, to your larger point, I disagree. Thunder are a small market team. It doesn't make sense to build the most competitive roster every year and eke out every possible win. OKC was super competitive. They pivoted. And are only finished their 2nd year of not full competing. Personally, I find the young guys super fun to watch (ignoring the lineups put out in the last 15 games of both years). And picking for potential vs. best able to contribute right now has a couple advantages: You will get more potential & your pick in the next draft will be better. Pretty smart for a small market team.
Tankathon is my 2nd home!
vtime
Rookie
And1: 245

Post#198 » by vtime » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:39 pm

Is anyone else shocked he wasn’t dealt at the deadline? Sort of like Bazley was the year before. Seems like some asset may have been available, even if it was only a 2nd rd pick. Is the plan to let him walk?
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,606

Post#199 » by Clav » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:57 am

vtime wrote:Is anyone else shocked he wasn’t dealt at the deadline? Sort of like Bazley was the year before. Seems like some asset may have been available, even if it was only a 2nd rd pick. Is the plan to let him walk?

I agree with you, but maybe up to like 70%

Poku needs a new team, that much is evident... He hasnt' played well lately or much at all. He's racking up injuries every year. Aggregation was tricky bc low salary...

and finally since he'll be RFA, any team may offer him a contract.

Thunder aren't likely to match unless it's a really good deal (and they'll use that contract as salary aggregation later im sure)

Poku has talent but he's had issues putting it all together, he can't remain healthy unfortunately (and if he does get 3-years in a row of no injuries, he'll likely be worth more than MLE value)

He's a good buy low candidate this offseason.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,026

Post#200 » by slick_watts » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:36 pm

there's a rumor that poku denied a g-league assignment at some point this year and that has resulted in a rift with the team and it's why he hasn't played much.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder