Do you think the Mavs will try to target Steph the same way they targeted Chris Paul on the defensive end?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Blazingstorm
Sophomore
And1: 141

Do you think the Mavs will try to target Steph the same way they targeted Chris Paul on the defensive end? 

Post#1 » by Blazingstorm » Wed May 18, 2022 9:11 pm

During that series they were literally settings screens to get Chris Paul on Luka, Brunson or Dinwiddie. Luka and Brunson were posting him up and everything. The commentators talked about it. Do you think the Mavs try this same strategy on Steph to maybe try and wear him down like they did CP3?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,317

Re: Do you think the Mavs will try to target Steph the same way they targeted Chris Paul? 

Post#2 » by zimpy27 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:15 pm

Misread question, yeah they will target Steph as it's always the best strategy to tire him out.

Steph moves too much and rips holes in your defense to do this. He's literally trying to use his gravity to pull defenders too him as he runs. If they don't follow him he gets into space for a shot and if they do then someone else is very open.

They can't employ that CP3 strategy.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,128

Re: Do you think the Mavs will try to target Steph the same way they targeted Chris Paul? 

Post#3 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 18, 2022 9:15 pm

Players like Luka, who are capable of complete control will target players. Steph will survive, but if I am Kevon Looney, I expect either bench or a very bad time on the court.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,696

Re: Do you think the Mavs will try to target Steph the same way they targeted Chris Paul on the defensive end? 

Post#4 » by WarriorGM » Wed May 18, 2022 9:17 pm

The question probably isn't will they try. The question is will they succeed.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,418

Post#5 » by DaddyCool19 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:18 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Steph moves too much and rips holes in your defense to do this. He's literally trying to use his gravity to pull defenders too him as he runs. If they don't follow him he gets into space for a shot and if they do then someone else is very open.

Isn't he talking about Steph on Defense?
alebaba
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,393

Post#6 » by alebaba » Wed May 18, 2022 9:18 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Steph moves too much and rips holes in your defense to do this. He's literally trying to use his gravity to pull defenders too him as he runs. If they don't follow him he gets into space for a shot and if they do then someone else is very open.

What? :o
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,467

Re: Do you think the Mavs will try to target Steph the same way they targeted Chris Paul on the defensive end? 

Post#7 » by Big J » Wed May 18, 2022 9:19 pm

More likely they target Poole.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,136

Post#9 » by Lockdown504090 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:28 pm

thats going to be extremely difficult. the warrriors have been practicing this for 7 years.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,317

Post#10 » by zimpy27 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:31 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:

Isn't he talking about Steph on Defense?

Oh I misread the question.

Yeah they will try target Curry, that's the best way to attack the Warriors was you want Curry tired.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,003

Post#11 » by Apz » Wed May 18, 2022 9:40 pm

Big J wrote:More likely they target Poole.

I dont think they will. He will be 2nd option. First should be curry since he is older and more important for warriors in offense. Then when warriors get the ball, 1 of bullock or dfs will pick him up at latest halfcourt and stay on him all the time. Thats how I think it will be played. Unless Kidd surprise us and use Frank on him
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,640

Post#12 » by taikibansei » Wed May 18, 2022 9:55 pm

That's going to be the strategy, and I'm guessing that it will work to a point. However, and a big difference with Phoenix/CP3, the Warriors do not depend to the same extent on a single player to initiate/run their offense. Accordingly, even if Curry does get a bit worn down, I doubt we'll see a situation like the Suns in Game 7 (when CP3's inability to get free/space from defenders helped lead again and again to poor shots and embarrassing turnovers by the team). Also, the Warriors have more tools to guard Brunson and even Luka (though nobody's stopping Luka completely). Green is both more mobile and a more effective help defender than Ayton, and Wiggins--can't believe I'm writing this (as a confirmed Wiggins hater)--too has become a strong on-ball and help defender. Barring injury, I'm betting that it's Dallas that gets worn down by the end of the series. Should be really competitive though.
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!
Big J
General Manager

Post#13 » by Big J » Wed May 18, 2022 9:56 pm

Apz wrote:

I dont think they will. He will be 2nd option. First should be curry since he is older and more important for warriors in offense. Then when warriors get the ball, 1 of bullock or dfs will pick him up at latest halfcourt and stay on him all the time. Thats how I think it will be played. Unless Kidd surprise us and use Frank on him

Warriors will just double Luka and leave Frank wide open if he's on the floor. Steph is used to getting picked up at half court. That's what every team tries against him.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,003

Post#14 » by Apz » Wed May 18, 2022 10:20 pm

Big J wrote:
Apz wrote:

Warriors will just double Luka and leave Frank wide open if he's on the floor. Steph is used to getting picked up at half court. That's what every team tries against him.

We will see. As a mavs fan I hope curry get zero shots off in first game just to set the tone for the series
Big J
General Manager

Post#15 » by Big J » Wed May 18, 2022 10:40 pm

Apz wrote:
Big J wrote:
Apz wrote:

We will see. As a mavs fan I hope curry get zero shots off in first game just to set the tone for the series

That's probably a good strategy. Last time they played Mavs didn't let Curry get a shot off in the 4th quarter and that worked pretty well.
MindState
Veteran
And1: 3,467

Post#16 » by MindState » Wed May 18, 2022 10:53 pm

Didnt the Rockets try to do this with Harden and CP3 targeting him every single posession? Thats not a game plan, at some point your team has to get offense from somewhere else other then just "Luka targeting a player".
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,366

Post#17 » by Statlanta » Thu May 19, 2022 11:04 am

The answer is pre-switch and zone at least so far in San Francisco, I wonder if it changes in Texas.
Read on Twitter
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#18 » by giberish » Thu May 19, 2022 11:44 am

UcanUwill wrote:Players like Luka, who are capable of complete control will target players. Steph will survive, but if I am Kevon Looney, I expect either bench or a very bad time on the court.

???

Looney struggles against big centers who are also skilled enough to hurt you (Jokic, Embiid). Looney's defensive strength is switchability. In 2018 and 2019 he held up very well defensively when switched only Harden or Lillard in playoff series. Obviously didn't completely shut them down but defended them as well as anyone does 1 on 1. Dealing with Luka (bigger but somewhat less quick) would be even more in his wheelhouse defensively.

The plan of hunting a switch to get a slow big matched up on Luka is pretty much DOA against the Warriors as Draymond and Looney are both very good defensive matchups on Luka. (maybe try it a bit when Bjelica's in the game).

The only really bad matchups in the rotation are Poole and Curry. Poole is both undersized and the weakest defender making him the most likely target. Curry is stronger, more experienced and generally a clear better defender than Poole though there's always the argument that it's valuable just to make Steph work on D so he's got less energy on offense. Of course this is where Poole has value - between him, Klay and to some degree Wiggins there are other players who can create offense to the entire burden isn't on Steph.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,708

Post#19 » by Warriorfan » Thu May 19, 2022 11:51 am

Switching defense has been a thing GS has been doing for 7. Targeting Curry has been a strategy mitigated by a hard hedge and Curry going back to normal assignment

Luka already has a heavy load.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,321

Post#20 » by lambchop » Thu May 19, 2022 12:15 pm

I doubt the warriors are worried about that. It's a strategy teams that featured LBJ and Kyrie/ prime Harden and CP3 pursued, but it was still extremely difficult for them to win games.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.

Return to The General Board