ImageImageImageImageImage

2018-19 Rookies (Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Landry Shamet & Jerome Robinson)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Re: The Clippers select Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Jerome Robinson 

Post#41 » by Forte IV » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:05 pm

Introductory press conference going on right now. Can be viewed on fox sports go app
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#42 » by Forte IV » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:23 pm

Read on Twitter
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#43 » by mkwest » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:46 am

Full Introductory Press Conference

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander on Roggin and Rodney

Jerome Robinson interview with Petros & Don MacLean

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

213!
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,312

Post#44 » by Dynamix » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:51 am

Someone mentioned this on reddit and now I can't unsee it. Jerome looks a lot like Brock from Pokemon.

Shy Gorgeous-Al
Junior
And1: 299

Post#45 » by Shy Gorgeous-Al » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:32 am

Shai looks bigger than I had anticipated. Optimistic.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#46 » by esqtvd » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:17 am

good thing he's retiring this suit

looks like my grandma's couch

Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
statsman42
Freshman
And1: 62

Post#47 » by statsman42 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:53 am

mkwest wrote:213!

Now if that ain't a "we own LA" photo opp with the 213, I don't know what is.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#48 » by Neddy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:42 am

esqtvd wrote:good thing he's retiring this suit

looks like my grandma's couch

:rofl2:

my grandma had a similar couch, LMAO.
ehhhhh f it.
Dloading99
Pro Prospect
And1: 162

Post#49 » by Dloading99 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:49 am

Jerome Robinson Ray Allen talent.

Same Shooting form. you got a great player. steal of the draft. Jerry West this is why you have him. because he drafts Jerome Robinson an all star. That dude looks like buckets. great pick. looks like he's going to be great in the pick and roll and off of screens. catch and shoot. can pull up whenever he wants. just a great talent.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Front Office Quotes 

Post#50 » by Ranma » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:17 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
esqtvd
RealGM

Re: Front Office Quotes 

Post#51 » by esqtvd » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:27 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Doc Rivers sucks
statsman42
Freshman

Post#52 » by statsman42 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:37 pm

"These are the guys we wanted all along [at 12 and 13]" is what every team says and their draft presser.

"If they redid the draft in a few years, these guys would go 1 and 2" is lunacy.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,655

Post#53 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:13 pm

statsman42 wrote:"These are the guys we wanted all along [at 12 and 13]" is what every team says and their draft presser.

"If they redid the draft in a few years, these guys would go 1 and 2" is lunacy.

Not every team trades up for one of their picks and has half their fan base screaming, "noooooooo" before the other pick.

It's not far fetched or the party line in this case.
They drafted who they wanted all along.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
statsman42
Freshman

Post#54 » by statsman42 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:09 pm

That proves that they wanted these guys at 12 and 13. I accept and believe that.

But the notion that they'll be two of the three best players in the draft? C'mon.
Ranma
RealGM

More Snake-Oil BS from Doc 

Post#55 » by Ranma » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:06 pm

statsman42 wrote:"These are the guys we wanted all along [at 12 and 13]" is what every team says and their draft presser.

Quake Griffin wrote:Not every team trades up for one of their picks and has half their fan base screaming, "noooooooo" before the other pick.

statsman42 wrote:That proves that they wanted these guys at 12 and 13. I accept and believe that.

But the notion that they'll be two of the three best players in the draft? C'mon.

Come on, Quake. I'm totally with stats on this one. Shai & Jerome may have been the top targets for the Clippers late in the lottery, but for Doc to say that they'll be looked at in a re-draft down the line as the 2nd and 3rd overall best or even the 2 best players from their class is either dangerously delusional or self-promotional BS.

First, the Clippers were known to be eager to package both picks to move up for Luka Doncic. Jaren Jackson, Jr. was supposedly of interest to the team too. Plus, Jerry West supposedly liked Mo Bamba as well. That's also not to mention the intrigue we had in Michael Porter, Jr.'s health. So there's already an element of disingenuous rationalization on the first part of Doc's statement. The Clips may indeed have liked both SGA & JR as their top targets at the 12th and 13th overall selection slots, but it was also clear that they didn't want to remain at those positions.

Second, the Clippers seriously considered trading back to draft Robinson because they recognized from a value-proposition perspective that he was a reach at the 13th overall selection slot. To their credit, they stuck to their guns and picked the guy they wanted because other teams immediately behind them reportedly had interest in him as well.

Third, who knows if Doc's statement is representative of the front office or not, but to imply that both will be better prospects than practically everyone else in this draft class totally doesn't pass the smell or eye test. Even accounting for the bust factor, Ayton's upside is tremendous, Doncic's polish and instincts are already thought to be world-class, etc. This was a deep draft class full of upside that was available at every selection slot in the first round spilling over into the second round while Gilgeous-Alexander likely projects as possibly developing similarly into what Mikal Bridges is right now and Robinson is noted for his proficient scoring as a shooter but poses as a one-dimensional risk even with his playmaking given his lack of defensive prowess. In fact, I've made the point that it is quite likely that multiple players taken after our picks will prove to eventually be better than those drafted ahead of them.

Fourth, Doc put in the caveat that he believes SGA and JR's work ethic and character will eventually elevate them to atop this draft class in 5 years time. While it's true that both are projects in need of physical development that should help round out their respective games, it's a leap to think that they'll be the next Donovan Mitchell, Kawhi Leonard or Paul George, which is what Doc is implying. It also serves as a bit of self-promotional delusion on Doc's part implying that he'll be able to nurture these prospects to become more evolved players when that has proven to be the exact opposite with Austin Rivers and DeAndre Jordan being notable exceptions with asterisks.

I want to post more about our draftees, which I hope to do later, but suffice to say, I'm disappointed in what we came away with given our aims and where we drafted them. That is not at all to say that I don't like them as prospects, but from a value-perspective, we fell short of getting the most out of our draft position.

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

ESPN's draft analytics model believes the Clippers' selection of Jerome Robinson at No. 13 was a major reach. The model ranked the former Boston College Eagle as the 54th-best player in this class, with just a 17% chance to become a starting-caliber player or better.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,655

Re: More Snake-Oil BS from Doc 

Post#56 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Ranma wrote:

Quake Griffin wrote:Not every team trades up for one of their picks and has half their fan base screaming, "noooooooo" before the other pick.

statsman42 wrote:That proves that they wanted these guys at 12 and 13. I accept and believe that.

Come on, Quake. I'm totally with stats on this one. Shai & Jerome may have been the top targets for the Clippers late in the lottery along with 2 noted others, but for Doc to say that they'll be looked at in a redraft down the line as either the 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th overall best players from their class is either dangerously delusional or self-promotional BS.

First, the Clippers were known to be eager to package both picks to move up for Luka Doncic. Jaren Jackson, Jr. was supposedly of interest to the team too. Plus, Jerry West supposedly liked Mo Bamba as well. That's also not to mention the intrigue we had in Michael Porter, Jr.'s health. So there's already an element of disingenuous rationalization on the first part of Doc's statement. The Clips may indeed have liked both SGA & JR as their top targets at the 12th and 13th overall selection slots, but it was also clear that they didn't want to remain at those positions.

Second, the Clippers seriously considered trading back to draft Robinson because they recognized from a value-proposition perspective that he was a reach at the 13th overall selection slot. To their credit, they stuck to their guns and picked the guy they wanted because other teams immediately behind them reportedly had interest in him as well.

Third, who knows if Doc's statement is representative of the front office or not, but to imply that both will be better prospects than practically everyone else in this draft class totally doesn't pass the smell or eye test. Even accounting for the bust factor, Ayton's upside is tremendous, Doncic's polish and instincts are already thought to be world-class, etc. This was a deep draft class full of upside that was available at every selection slot in the first round spilling over into the second round while Gilgeous-Alexander likely projects as possibly developing similarly into what Mikal Bridges is right now and Robinson is noted for his proficient scoring as a shooter but poses as a one-dimensional risk even with his playmaking given his lack of defensive prowess. In fact, I've made the point that it is quite likely that multiple players taken after our picks will prove to eventually be better than those drafted ahead of them.

Fourth, Doc put in the caveat that he believes SGA and JR's work ethic and character will eventually elevate them to atop this draft class in 5 years time. While it's true that both are projects in need of physical development that should help round out their respective games, it's a leap to think that they'll be the next Donovan Mitchell, Kawhi Leonard or Paul George, which is what Doc is implying. It also serves as a bit of self-promotional delusion on Doc's part implying that he'll be able to nurture these prospects to more evolved players when that has proven to be the exact opposite with Austin Rivers and DeAndre Jordan being notable exceptions with asterisks.

I want to post more about our draftees, which I hope to do later, but suffice to say, I'm disappointed in what we came away with given our aims and where we drafted them. That is not at all to say that I don't like them as prospects, but from a value-perspective, we fell short of getting the most out of our draft position.

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

ESPN's draft analytics model believes the Clippers' selection of Jerome Robinson at No. 13 was a major reach. The model ranked the former Boston College Eagle as the 54th-best player in this class, with just a 17% chance to become a starting-caliber player or better.

I'm only defending the fact that they got who they wanted in the draft. They aren't lawyers who are going to be meticulous with every word, so I believe Frank's comments to a reasonable degree and I will read them generously to say that the Clips got who they wanted at the 12 and 13 slot. I obviously don't think if we had the 1st and 2nd overall that we would have drafted those 2.

I'm not defending Doc's comments that they will be top 3 players in this draft. We'll see soon enough if what he thinks is right.

Plus, we're apart of the NWO. Our main aims are to hate Doc and argue with ESPNtv on this forum. No way I'd support anything Doc said.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Jerome Robinson's Parting Gift to His College Coach 

Post#57 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 1, 2018 8:37 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

esqtvd
RealGM

Re: More Snake-Oil BS from Doc 

Post#58 » by esqtvd » Sun Jul 1, 2018 10:28 am

Ranma wrote:

By all means, as our resident genius, Brother Ramna, tell us all what Jerry West SHOULD have done.

:lol:
Ranma
RealGM

Canadian Kid 

Post#59 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 1, 2018 5:43 pm

Read on Twitter
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,525

Post#60 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jul 2, 2018 5:25 pm

I'm probably crazy but I had Robinson 3rd on my bigboard.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Los Angeles Clippers