Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024 4.0

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,622

Re: Bears 2024 4.0 

Post#1061 » by Betta Bulleavit » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:01 am

madvillian wrote:
Mbrahv0528 wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:I think the idea is that if you’re moving on from the QB that you had and are in position to draft the best one available in the draft, why wouldn’t you do that? It’s not really about who all people would take over Fields. Fields is gone now. It’s about getting the best QB possible and if Poles feels that Caleb is that guy, then that’s who you draft in expeditious fashion.
Exactly. If you move on from Fields, you take the #1 rated QB off the board. Otherwise, you trade down and build the team up around Fields. Obviously, Poles chose the former.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

You can't build the team around a guy that is going to want to be paid 5x what his on field value is. That was never an option. But, myths die hard.

I think it’s all a matter of opinion based on what you think about the other QB prospects in relation to both Fields and Williams. I (personally) am fine with moving on from Fields in favor of Williams. I am not nearly as comfortable doing so with the other candidates. That’s just me though and I understand that others may feel differently.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#1062 » by Dresden » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:04 am

I saw a mock draft today that had the Bears trading down twice from #9 to acquire 2 second round picks plus some later picks. A move like that makes a lot of sense given our lack of draft picks.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,622

Post#1063 » by Betta Bulleavit » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:07 am

Dresden wrote:I saw a mock draft today that had the Bears trading down twice from #9 to acquire 2 second round picks plus some later picks. A move like that makes a lot of sense given our lack of draft picks.

Here’s the thing. Given how Poles has set up the roster up to this point, how many more picks do you feel like we’d need and where should we go (position-wise) with those picks? Not that I mind going this route. But I do wonder.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,297

Post#1064 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:08 am

HearshotKDS wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
HearshotKDS wrote:Id be all over this but Bears probably have to throw in their 4th round pick this year to make the points work. Although I realize fans have unilaterally decided this is the year that the NFL is going to stop using the charted point system that they have been using for the last 3 decades.

Keep in mind picks get devalued roughly a round a year out. So a 2025 1st draft value loses a round, roughly worth a 2024 2nd. Obviously you need a team to play ball, but 1st rounders are not the same the further out there are.

Bears are giving up value in this scenario.

Very familiar with the time value of picks - 9 = 1350 points, 24+87+'25 1st = 1475, or if you want to use Rich Hills model its 387 vs. 465. Bears are getting value not giving it up in your trade, but the difference is actually close enough to be within historical norms after comparing to the last 10 years of trades (swings of about 10% either way and yours inside 10%).

Oh yeah you’re right, poor math by me.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,352

Post#1065 » by Kurt Heimlich » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:15 am

Jeffster81 wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Such a trash take

All I can do is LOL at RGIII. 99.9999999999999% will be a Bear. RGIII can deal with it.

It's ashame RG3 is such a cheesey/corny kinda person because he does come accross as pretty smart with interesting/insightful things to say from time to time. Butttt yeahhh cool story rg3 you got some decent clicks I suppose.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#1066 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:14 am

Chi town wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:Looks like Chase is going to NOLA. This makes me all the more confident that we’re going to go with and Edge at 9 or a bit later with a modest trade back.

I will be surprised if we don’t trade back go with an edge.

I think there is a huge drop off from Turner and Verse to Chop Robinson. And Poles generally stays away from players with injury issues so I don't think Latu is an option in the 1st. With that said, if the Bears are targeting a DE in the 1st then I think it makes sense to just draft eother Verse or Turner at 9. One of them mught he gone by then.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#1067 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:23 am

No one should be surprised if the Bears go OT at 9. Some rumblings about Olu at 9. High school teammates with Caleb.

Read on Twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,447

Post#1068 » by fleet » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:43 am

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:No one should be surprised if the Bears go OT at 9. Some rumblings about Olu at 9. High school teammates with Caleb.

Read on Twitter

If he passes the Bears grade system, that would be fantastic if he could. OT or edge all the way. If the Bears went with Odunze, that would be great too. But bookend OTs and a quarterback will keep the offense elite over 10 years. Receivers come and go tbh. Opportunities to grab those freak OTs are rare.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,617
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#1069 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:43 am

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:No one should be surprised if the Bears go OT at 9. Some rumblings about Olu at 9. High school teammates with Caleb.

Read on Twitter

You've just summoned fleet like Beetlejuice :lol:

Edit: he slightly beat me to it.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#1070 » by Dresden » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:49 am

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
Dresden wrote:I saw a mock draft today that had the Bears trading down twice from #9 to acquire 2 second round picks plus some later picks. A move like that makes a lot of sense given our lack of draft picks.

Here’s the thing. Given how Poles has set up the roster up to this point, how many more picks do you feel like we’d need and where should we go (position-wise) with those picks? Not that I mind going this route. But I do wonder.

In the mock I saw, they had us taking Late at 21, then another DE and a DT in the second round, WR's in the 3rd and I think 5th rounds, and a OT in the 4th. I think that would help fill a lot of holes.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst

Post#1071 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:52 am

Dresden wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:

In the mock I saw, they had us taking Late at 21, then another DE and a DT in the second round, WR's in the 3rd and I think 5th rounds, and a OT in the 4th. I think that would help fill a lot of holes.

Yeah I saw the same one. Double trade downs from #9. I wonder how likely that is, but it would be an amazing result if Poles could pull it off.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#1072 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:57 am

ThisGuyFawkes wrote:

Read on Twitter

If they want to draft LT at 9 then they better have a plan for acquiring another pass rusher, because Sweat and a bunch of guys who can get 2-7 sacks a season just won't cut it.
JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 371

Post#1073 » by JockItch43 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:24 am

MissileMike wrote:In other news... I cannot express how much I'm looking forward to next season. Caleb Williams with weapons all over the field! I'm only worried about the OL.

Good thing is Caleb is well trained at running for his life and still balling out. Now what I really want to see is this guy with a good pass pro line... watch out. Part of the reason why I wouldn't even be mad if they snagged an LT with the 2nd 1st round pick. While not our biggest need, might be our last opportunity to get a dude there.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst

Post#1074 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:46 am

JockItch43 wrote:
MissileMike wrote:In other news... I cannot express how much I'm looking forward to next season. Caleb Williams with weapons all over the field! I'm only worried about the OL.

Good thing is Caleb is well trained at running for his life and still balling out. Now what I really want to see is this guy with a good pass pro line... watch out. Part of the reason why I wouldn't even be mad if they snagged an LT with the 2nd 1st round pick. While not our biggest need, might be our last opportunity to get a dude there.

Might be our last opportunity to grab a difference maker on the edge as well. Should be an interesting draft.
JockItch43
Analyst
And1: 371

Post#1075 » by JockItch43 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:11 am

ThisGuyFawkes wrote:
JockItch43 wrote:

Might be our last opportunity to grab a difference maker on the edge as well. Should be an interesting draft.

True... both are highly valued, high dollar positions. But I've seen premium edges become available on the market after their rookie contract either by trade or sometimes free agency. But, how many times have you seen that happen with an elite LT? Maybe I'm off base here, but it sure seems teams just don't let those guys go.

That, combined with our all in investment with Caleb and the fact that Poles addressed the skill positions talent issue more than adequately, it may just make sense if Poles and company grade an LT that high that falls into our laps.

Personally, I think they very well may target Fuaga after a trade down at 9. That has Poles written all over it and I read a report they like him. I've also seen a video interview with Poles where he briefly makes a comment how he really likes the o-lineman in this class. Braxton is great value but he's not that dude, he can provide much needed line depth, perhaps in a swing tackle role or they can trade him.

Not the biggest need, but given all the circumstances it does make a lot of sense, at least in my mind.

With that said I think they are doing the obvious and going edge.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,903

Post#1076 » by nomorezorro » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:14 am

Read on Twitter

imo, national guys like schefter are not as tuned into the nuances of individual team needs the same way a local reporter or even a well informed fan would be, and with more than a month to go until the draft, they're not getting fed leaks on who we're targeting at 9. my guess is that the extent of his thinking is "the bears gave up a lot of sacks under fields, they have a former 5th rounder starting at LT, there are well regarded LTs in this draft, so they might go for an upgrade there." not accounting for the reality that jones has not been the weak point on our OL and there's been no indication poles is eager to replace him.

you saw this play out to a smaller extent last season, when a bunch of people were mocking skoronski to the bears, using the rationale "even if he doesn't stick at tackle, the bears could use an upgrade to their offensive line." but we weren't looking for just a general upgrade to our o-line — we needed a tackle specifically, and poles had talked directly about the importance he places on length when evaluating tackle prospects, which was a strong indicator that we specifically wouldn't be going after skoronski. but naturally, national-level reporters aren't obsessively tracking bears news, and stuff like that slips through the cracks for them. instead, they went "hey, a good o-lineman — and he went to school near chicago! he might go to the bears!" and that was the extent of how long they thought about it.

not saying we definitely won't pick a LT in the draft, but i wouldn't put any credence into speculation at this point in the process from anyone who isn't super plugged into the team.
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,447

Post#1077 » by fleet » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:04 am

Just a small comment on Schefter and Rapoport, pay more attention to Schefter. Rapoport has been all over the map, reporting false information/team propaganda as fact. Schefter at least has been right on the big stuff, and reporting good information. Scheftys speculation was off on the Fields compensation though. But Rapoport has lost something on his fastball this year. Velo is down.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,352

Post#1078 » by Kurt Heimlich » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:30 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:
ThisGuyFawkes wrote:

Read on Twitter

If they want to draft LT at 9 then they better have a plan for acquiring another pass rusher, because Sweat and a bunch of guys who can get 2-7 sacks a season just won't cut it.

A LT at 9 makes total sense if the board goes chalk in the top 8, meaning only 3 qb's go along with the 3 WRs, Alt and Turner. High value position and a position that Poles has a proclivity for. Trading back to the Verse/Latu/Murphy range would be great obviously, especially if a team(s) were willing to pay to get up to 9 for that QB potentially. But having your franchise bookends for your franchise qb all on the cheap for the next 3-4 years is a high value proposition.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,800

Post#1079 » by Jcool0 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:20 pm

fleet wrote:Just a small comment on Schefter and Rapoport, pay more attention to Schefter. Rapoport has been all over the map, reporting false information/team propaganda as fact. Schefter at least has been right on the big stuff, and reporting good information. Scheftys speculation was off on the Fields compensation though. But Rapoport has lost something on his fastball this year. Velo is down.

Schefter is the biggest mouthpiece for teams there is. He is all about promoting false info if it keeps his sources providing him info.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#1080 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 pm

Biggs noted OT a while back too, and he’s local.

I wouldn’t care much about the report at this time. The Bears could change their minds 10 times between now and the end of April.

But the logic is sound.

I’ll say this: The Bears OTs weren’t as strong as people like to think they were, certainly not by some advanced metrics. People just tend to not nuance rankings of lineman, it’s either “good” or “bad”. Braxton may only rank as a top 20 LT, and if they think Olu can be top 5 at the position, then it makes a lot of sense.

Return to Chicago Bulls