Image ImageImage Image

GT Play-In #1: Atlanta Hawks @ Chicago Bulls - Wed 4/17 @ 8:30pm CT - ESPN

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,255

Re: GT Play-In #1: Atlanta Hawks @ Chicago Bulls - Wed 4/17 @ 8:30pm CT - ESPN 

Post#41 » by Dan Z » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:09 am

2weekswithpay wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

Right, I mostly agree. The play in - or excuse me, the “postseason” - is a pathetic organizational goal.

But then you have situations like this year’s Western Conference where ten teams were legitimately gunning for the playoffs and in most years each would’ve been good enough to qualify. And now we get to see 4 of them face off in do or die games, which I find really exciting.

In truth, only two teams seem to have been content to chase the play-in as an end, and we unfortunately are one of them. I don’t consider that an indictment of the tourney — we just follow a truly garbage org.

Before the play-in 53% of the teams in the NBA made the playoff. Why allow more than that?

Shouldn't the playoffs be a goal that is something special that you earned? I'm not saying the Bulls didn't earn it, but the Raptors, Wizards, Pistons, Hornets and Nets weren't competition this year. They were done a long time ago.

The play-in does help address two issues. It reduces tanking and helps keep the NBA competitive after the ASB.

Were the following teams competitive?

Raptors, Wizards, Pistons, Hornets, Nets, Spurs, Grizzlies, Jazz and Blazers? All those teams either were terrible to start the year or tanked a long time ago. The Rockets are the only non play-in/playoff team that tried to win until the end of the season.

That's 9 teams out of 30. 30% of the league.

Without the play-in do you think the Bulls would purposely tank? I doubt it. The Hawks? Maybe, but with the roster/coach I lean towards no. The play-in teams in the west wouldn't tank even if there was no play-in.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#42 » by FriedRise » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:35 am

jump wrote:What a depressing bunch of comments. Except for a couple of people who see the intent of the play in. I love watching Coby, Ayo, DeMar, Alex work their asses off and grow throughout the season. I like the hope of development of the younger players. Drummond is easy to root for. Even Vuc has games when I’m totally impressed. And who doesn’t love Jevonte? Most teams in the world of sports don’t get to the top. I love it when the Bulls win and hate it when they lose. Just like almost every sports fan. But I don’t hate my team because they underachieve. That attitude is just weak and sad.

Yeah I'm with you there, I'll always root for my team to win. I will be watching this play-in game and hope they can advance. Some of our players are frustrating (mostly Vooch and Carter really), but I generally like this group of guys. Coby and Ayo are easy to root for and they're making their leaps while still in a Bulls jersey. They saved this season for being a complete throwaway.

This season, believe it or not they actually overachieved. bballreference has their expected W total at 37 and they won 2 extra games (and really it should be more if they didn't lose to the damn Pistons and Wizards). Last year sucked because their expected win total was 44, but they could only muster 40; most of it due to dropping games they were supposed to win.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,790

Post#43 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 am

Dez wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:I hope we lose.

That's stupid.

Playoff experience for Ayo, Coby etc is far more valuable than the late lottery pick we've got regardless in a weak draft.

Yeah I’m sure that sweep against Boston will do us wonders. I’d rather try to get lucky in the draft. Coby and Ayo aren’t taking this team anywhere.

Our GM thinking like you is why this team is doomed to mediocrity.
DropStep
Junior
And1: 155

Post#44 » by DropStep » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:59 am

madvillian wrote:I don't want to argue about this team with anybody anymore. It's just not worth it. So I'll just say **** Trae Young and beat Atlanta.

This squad fought hard all year and they deserve to have a moment. I'll be rooting for them. Forget everything else - send Atlanta home.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,417

Post#45 » by Muzbar » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:06 am

jump wrote:What a depressing bunch of comments. Except for a couple of people who see the intent of the play in. I love watching Coby, Ayo, DeMar, Alex work their asses off and grow throughout the season. I like the hope of development of the younger players. Drummond is easy to root for. Even Vuc has games when I’m totally impressed. And who doesn’t love Jevonte? Most teams in the world of sports don’t get to the top. I love it when the Bulls win and hate it when they lose. Just like almost every sports fan. But I don’t hate my team because they underachieve. That attitude is just weak and sad.

No one hates the team, they just hate the fact that it really has no direction, they hate that treading water is the top goal. This team has run its course.

Ayo and Coby have been great this year, no one is denying that and absolutely no body hates that they've raised they're games. But Coby and Ayo aren't guys you build a team around, they aren't taking you to the next level (prove me wrong Coby and Ayo).

DeMar has been amazing and a true leader to this team, but with him taking up presumably a bunch of cap next year along with Lonzo, Zach and Vucevic, what's the path forward? Hope Ayo and Coby become unlikely superstar's? Hope Patrick Williams becomes Kawhi? You can't sign your next start as you capspace will tied up into 4 players and they're hardly positive trade assets.

Everyone wants the team to win, some just want it to be long term rather than short term. The team either needs a retool or a rebuild, running back the same team from the last 3 years plus some band-aid players isn't going to magically work this time around.

It's fine if you enjoy watching the team, there's nothing wrong with that, others just have differing opinions to you, but that doesn't make them weak and sad.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
jump
Assistant Coach

Post#46 » by jump » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:16 am

Muzbar wrote:

No one hates the team, they just hate the fact that it really has no direction, they hate that treading water is the top goal. This team has run its course.

Ayo and Coby have been great this year, no one is denying that and absolutely no body hates that they've raised they're games. But Coby and Ayo aren't guys you build a team around, they aren't taking you to the next level (prove me wrong Coby and Ayo).

DeMar has been amazing and a true leader to this team, but with him taking up presumably a bunch of cap next year along with Lonzo, Zach and Vucevic, what's the path forward? Hope Ayo and Coby become unlikely superstar's? Hope Patrick Williams becomes Kawhi? You can't sign your next start as you capspace will tied up into 4 players and they're hardly positive trade assets.

Everyone wants the team to win, some just want it to be long term rather than short term. The team either needs a retool or a rebuild, running back the same team from the last 3 years plus some band-aid players isn't going to magically work this time around.

It's fine if you enjoy watching the team, there's nothing wrong with that, others just have differing opinions to you, but that doesn't make them weak and sad.

Not saying posters are weak and sad, just their attitude. And yes, plenty of people here actually say they hate this team. Being a sports fan involves a lot of disappointment. Comes with the territory. Get used to it. I’m not saying I love the FO and their decisions. I’m just sick of the whiney mob mentality around here.
Muzbar
Starter

Post#47 » by Muzbar » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:12 am

jump wrote:
Muzbar wrote:

Not saying posters are weak and sad, just their attitude. And yes, plenty of people here actually say they hate this team. Being a sports fan involves a lot of disappointment. Comes with the territory. Get used to it. I’m not saying I love the FO and their decisions. I’m just sick of the whiney mob mentality around here.

I'm not sure they hate the Chicago Bulls, but moreso this current roster construction and the FO that has put it together and done nothing to fix the holes that have existed for years.

So people just have to get used to being disappointed and not want their team to be better?
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,683

Post#48 » by Dez » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:15 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
Dez wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:I hope we lose.

That's stupid.

Playoff experience for Ayo, Coby etc is far more valuable than the late lottery pick we've got regardless in a weak draft.

Yeah I’m sure that sweep against Boston will do us wonders. I’d rather try to get lucky in the draft. Coby and Ayo aren’t taking this team anywhere.

Our GM thinking like you is why this team is doomed to mediocrity.

Nobody said anything about Coby and Ayo "taking this team anywhere". They'll be valuable parts of the team for the future but they don't need to be the main guys nor did anyone hint at that.

Also we won't get swept by Boston, we'd lose but we won't get swept.

You're trying to force a position on me that I never took to make you look like you're making a good point, but you're not doing a good job.

I'm more than happy to blow it up in the off-season and rolling with Coby, Ayo, Williams, Terry, Phillips etc next season but trying to go as far as possible makes the most sense given that we'll still have a worthless pick.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,790

Post#49 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:17 am

This team probably overachieved. It’s still dead end roster. If think AK will ever build another team with watching then good for you. I don’t. I’m not sugarcoat it just because it’s my favorite team. The Bulls are one the worse positioned teams in the NBA. Possibly the worst. We have no present and no future.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,086

Post#50 » by MrSparkle » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:35 am

If Atlanta has a good night shooting 3Ps, we lose. If not, we win.

*paid, professional analysis*
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,649

Post#51 » by Mk0 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:19 am

LET'S
F#%KING
GOOOOO

NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,364

Post#52 » by 2weekswithpay » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 am

Dan Z wrote:
2weekswithpay wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Before the play-in 53% of the teams in the NBA made the playoff. Why allow more than that?

Shouldn't the playoffs be a goal that is something special that you earned? I'm not saying the Bulls didn't earn it, but the Raptors, Wizards, Pistons, Hornets and Nets weren't competition this year. They were done a long time ago.

The play-in does help address two issues. It reduces tanking and helps keep the NBA competitive after the ASB.

Were the following teams competitive?

Raptors, Wizards, Pistons, Hornets, Nets, Spurs, Grizzlies, Jazz and Blazers? All those teams either were terrible to start the year or tanked a long time ago. The Rockets are the only non play-in/playoff team that tried to win until the end of the season.

That's 9 teams out of 30. 30% of the league.

Without the play-in do you think the Bulls would purposely tank? I doubt it. The Hawks? Maybe, but with the roster/coach I lean towards no. The play-in teams in the west wouldn't tank even if there was no play-in.

Last season was the best example of the play-in stopping teams from bottoming out. With Wemby coming over, only 4 teams won less than 30 games.

Maybe they don't strip the entire team down like the Jazz or Raptors did but I don't see how they can justify not trading at least Caruso or Drummond for assets when there's no postseason basketball for them.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,086

Post#53 » by MrSparkle » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:44 pm

Any word on Drummond and Ayo?

IMO an easy way to lose to any team in the NBA is playing Vuc for 44 minutes, and Billy’s got no problem doing that if Drummond’s out. He won’t play Sanogo or anybody else.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#54 » by FriedRise » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:26 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Any word on Drummond and Ayo?

IMO an easy way to lose to any team in the NBA is playing Vuc for 44 minutes, and Billy’s got no problem doing that if Drummond’s out. He won’t play Sanogo or anybody else.

Sanogo is a 2-way contract, so he's not eligible to play in the playins/playoffs. Same with Drell and Funk.

They had days off, but we're supposed to get an update on Drummond and Ayo at practice today. These two are crucial because if Drummond can't suit up, we're boned; we'll have no choice but to play Javonte or Torrey Craig at the 5 (probably why Billy tried it last time against the Wizards). If Trae's father can't play, we'll have no one who can slow him down.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,273

Post#55 » by kodo » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:17 pm

‘‘Ayo is having issues with the running and the starting and the sprinting and the stopping,’’ coach Billy Donovan said.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,813

Post#56 » by jc23 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:31 pm

kodo wrote:
‘‘Ayo is having issues with the running and the starting and the sprinting and the stopping,’’ coach Billy Donovan said.

Ayo seems to do well vs Trae from what i remember. Sucks when your entire season leads up to this one game and you dont even have the team that got you there.
Be curious, Not judgmental
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#57 » by weneeda2guard » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:44 pm

We are going to lose

Donovan will be the reason

Close game and Donovan will put a closing line up on the floor that is going to get burned.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,315

Post#58 » by Mbrahv0528 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:10 pm

weneeda2guard wrote:We are going to lose

Donovan will be the reason

Close game and Donovan will put a closing line up on the floor that is going to get burned.
We are definitely not going to lose to the Hawks.

Sent from my SM-S928U using RealGM mobile app
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
And1: 466

Post#59 » by Mr. Tibbs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:18 pm

Can only speak for myself. I have no issues with the players, they've tried hard and pulled themselves out of a rough start and enduring an obvious malcontent in Lavine. I enjoy watching games to teach my son numbers (and basketball), and watching Coby/Ayo develop has been enjoyable. Also fun to see Derozan battle father time as well as he has. That being said, it has also been a pretty forgettable year of basketball. Sadly the most unforgettable moment of this season was making a widow cry.

The FO and more broadly ownership have made it abundantly clear their goal is mediocrity, and man they have succeeded. Watching every other Chicago sports team have real hope really highlights just how pathetic the Reinsdorf teams are.

This board consists of the die hardest of die hard fans, so I think the malaise really should say something more about the FO/ownership than it does about us. I'm never going to root against them, but I'll change my dead inside attitude when they give me any reason to deserve it.
RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,273

Post#60 » by kodo » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:46 pm

Last month of play:

Code: Select all

Derozan: 27.2 ppg 5.6 apg   50% FG  31% 3P   58.7% TS
Ayo:     19.7 ppg 4.6 apg   57% FG  47% 3P   67.2% TS
Vucevic: 18.2 ppg 10  rpg   52% FG  32% 3P   58.6% TS
Coby:    17.1 ppg 4.7 apg   42% FG  30% 3P   51.8% TS