Image ImageImage Image

Coby White has leveled up

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,360

Re: Coby White has leveled up 

Post#721 » by DASMACKDOWN » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:15 am

kodo wrote:The big jump in ppg for Coby is probably also qualified by the fact that he's averaged 15 ppg in the past, so it's not like some guy who has never averaged more than 9 ppg in the league all of a sudden jumped to 19 ppg.

Coby 2nd year: 15 ppg 5 apg 36% 3P
Coby this year: 19 ppg 5 apg 37% 3P

Similarly nobody is really impressed with Collin Sexton improving from 14 ppg to 19 ppg...he's averaged even more than that in the past.

People simply cant boxscore watch when it comes to decisions like this.

Firstly anyone who actually watched Coby in his second season, can easily tell you Coby this year was 10 times better than that second season. He had absolutely no clue how to run the point in his second year. He admitted it himself.
The Cult of Personality
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,337

Post#722 » by coldfish » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

On/off net rating by year:
24 +2.2
23 +4.3
22 -1.2
21 -3.9
20 -2.7

I think Coby is clearly a better player than he was early in his career. Better defender, has a better understanding of offense, etc. His handle is better.

That said, he isn't a world beater and his shot continues to be streaky as hell.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,665

Post#723 » by sco » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:08 pm

I have to say that I don't like the MIP award as it conveys a sense that a player is objectively great, but in truth, it is predicated on a performance baseline that is variable from player to player...so is it better to improve say 20% starting from a starting-level set of statistics or 40% starting from a bench-level set of statistics?

While I think Coby has made the "leap" from bench-level to starter level, he isn't objectively great (e.g. allstar-level talent). Maxey went from starter-level to allstar-level, and is objectively great.
:clap:
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,327

Post#724 » by Stratmaster » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:53 pm

League Circles wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
League Circles wrote:Which 7 guys do you think are better than him right now from his draft?

You often like to point to very broad stats as some kind of precise indication of how good a player is. I don't see things that way at all. Coby is a 3 level scorer who can also playmake, rebound, defend pretty well and has emerging leadership skills. There's a reason he just narrowly missed the MIP award.

Hasn't been starting quality??? He's a good starter right now. He's definitely better than a bunch of starting guards we've put out there over the past 8 years or so.
Yes. The objective data means nothing in the face of your assessment. What 3 levels does he score at? He shot 36% from 3 to 10 feet (worse than last season). 27% from 16' to the 3 point line. He was pretty good from 10-16' and average from 3 point (relative to players considered 3 point shooters).

He was 22nd among guards in PPG. 41st among guards in 3 point percentage.

Coby is a fantastic threat when he is hot but is very inconsistent. I like Coby. But he wasn't what the Bulls PR machine convinced some of us that he was.

Sent from my SM-S911U using RealGM mobile app

He can shoot threes, drive to the basket (and get fouls) and shoot from mid range.

So he was 22nd in the league in your go-to metric, in a league with 60 starting guards, but he's not starter quality. Gotcha.

The Bulls were a thoroughly mediocre team. Which players were compensating for Coby's alleged bench-player level performance to lift the Bulls up to mediocre? Vuc, Demar? Patrick Williams? Ayo?

Still waiting for the list of 7 guys currently better than him from his draft whenever you're ready.

You're just wrong.
My go-to metric? I've given numerous metrics on Coby. So I need to restate them on every post, or are you just purposely ignoring them?

Coby scored 9.4 more points than the previous season. He took 7. 3 mote shots per game. He was a relatively inefficient scorer.

Your demand that I list 7 players better than him in the current draft is ridiculous. There will be significantly more than 7 players who end up better than him, but I don't get paid to watch every college basketball team and game. That's why there are scouts FFS. They also won't be "currently" better than him. But by their 5th year they sure as hell will be.

But hey. If you say I am just wrong, with nothing to back it up, you must be right.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#725 » by Stratmaster » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:54 pm

coldfish wrote:On/off net rating by year:
24 +2.2
23 +4.3
22 -1.2
21 -3.9
20 -2.7

I think Coby is clearly a better player than he was early in his career. Better defender, has a better understanding of offense, etc. His handle is better.

That said, he isn't a world beater and his shot continues to be streaky as hell.
Well put. Although I think on/off is the most overrated and overused stat. Still, your summary is spot on.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#726 » by Stratmaster » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:55 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
kodo wrote:The big jump in ppg for Coby is probably also qualified by the fact that he's averaged 15 ppg in the past, so it's not like some guy who has never averaged more than 9 ppg in the league all of a sudden jumped to 19 ppg.

Coby 2nd year: 15 ppg 5 apg 36% 3P
Coby this year: 19 ppg 5 apg 37% 3P

Similarly nobody is really impressed with Collin Sexton improving from 14 ppg to 19 ppg...he's averaged even more than that in the past.

People simply cant boxscore watch when it comes to decisions like this.

Firstly anyone who actually watched Coby in his second season, can easily tell you Coby this year was 10 times better than that second season. He had absolutely no clue how to run the point in his second year. He admitted it himself.
Now he is 10x better? Lol

kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,291

Post#727 » by kodo » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:38 pm

There's a lot of narrative with the MIP just like MVP.

Another case where the actual most improved player didn't win MIP, Jerami Grant:

2020: 12 ppg 3.5 rpg 1.2 apg
2021: 22 ppg 4.6 rpg 2.8 apg

Lost MIP to Julius Randle who went up only 4 ppg due to increased playing time up to 38 mpg under new HC Thibs. Randle was a 7 year veteran at this point, not a young kid developing. But there was a bigger narrative of NYK being competitive in 2021 (41 wins) when they were a 21 team before. Grant was on a bad Detroit team.

If the Bulls had actually been better this year, I think Coby takes this award easily. But that didn't happen. Even on the clutch Ws we did get, a lot of media watched Derozan sinking those shots not Coby.

Another example:
Cam Thomas
2023: 10.5 ppg
2024: 22.5 ppg

Not even considered for MIP.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,164

Post#728 » by League Circles » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:17 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
League Circles wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:Yes. The objective data means nothing in the face of your assessment. What 3 levels does he score at? He shot 36% from 3 to 10 feet (worse than last season). 27% from 16' to the 3 point line. He was pretty good from 10-16' and average from 3 point (relative to players considered 3 point shooters).

He was 22nd among guards in PPG. 41st among guards in 3 point percentage.

Coby is a fantastic threat when he is hot but is very inconsistent. I like Coby. But he wasn't what the Bulls PR machine convinced some of us that he was.

He can shoot threes, drive to the basket (and get fouls) and shoot from mid range.

So he was 22nd in the league in your go-to metric, in a league with 60 starting guards, but he's not starter quality. Gotcha.

The Bulls were a thoroughly mediocre team. Which players were compensating for Coby's alleged bench-player level performance to lift the Bulls up to mediocre? Vuc, Demar? Patrick Williams? Ayo?

Still waiting for the list of 7 guys currently better than him from his draft whenever you're ready.

You're just wrong.
My go-to metric? I've given numerous metrics on Coby. So I need to restate them on every post, or are you just purposely ignoring them?

Coby scored 9.4 more points than the previous season. He took 7. 3 mote shots per game. He was a relatively inefficient scorer.

Your demand that I list 7 players better than him in the current draft is ridiculous. There will be significantly more than 7 players who end up better than him, but I don't get paid to watch every college basketball team and game. That's why there are scouts FFS. They also won't be "currently" better than him. But by their 5th year they sure as hell will be.

But hey. If you say I am just wrong, with nothing to back it up, you must be right.

You said he hasn't lived up to his #7 draft slot, which means you think there are at least 7 guys FROM HIS DRAFT that are better than him. That's what I asked. Didn't mention anything about this draft. There are very rarely 7 guys from one draft who end up being better long term than Coby is now (which is what should matter to most people).

Coby wasn't a relatively inefficient scorer this season. That's nonsense. He was right about league average on high volume.

And yeah, you often cite ppg in a lot of discussions on this board. You're among the only people still trying to use that to establish player value in any context.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,951

Post#729 » by Axl Rose » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:20 pm

Maxey deserved it, and he had the better case in that he ascended into an all-star. If Coby played like he did versus Atlanta against Miami and got the Bulls into the playoffs just maybe that would've been enough.

Also how much i wish we could have pried Maxey away from Philly for LaVine.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#730 » by Stratmaster » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:41 pm

League Circles wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
League Circles wrote:

You're just wrong.

You said he hasn't lived up to his #7 draft slot, which means you think there are at least 7 guys FROM HIS DRAFT that are better than him. That's what I asked. Didn't mention anything about this draft. There are very rarely 7 guys from one draft who end up being better long term than Coby is now (which is what should matter to most people).

Coby wasn't a relatively inefficient scorer this season. That's nonsense. He was right about league average on high volume.

And yeah, you often cite ppg in a lot of discussions on this board. You're among the only people still trying to use that to establish player value in any context.

No, I don't. Maybe you are thinking of someone else. The PPG is what supporters of Coby are using to justify the MIP, which is why I responded to that, AND PUT THEM IN CONTEXT by mentioning about 4 times, in various discussions, that he took 7.3 more shots per game. Talk about twisting the discussion. So, for your case, take his PPG increase away and tell me how he improved.

And he absolutely was relatively inefficient. Relative probably isn't even a necessary adjective. The Bulls gave 7.3 more shots per game to a player scoring at .570 TS%? Should we give Torrey Craig 7.3 more shots per game? How about Alex Caruso and Javonte Green? Coby had the 7th best TS% on the team of the major rotational players. Also the 7th highest PER. The 8th best FG%. The 5th best 3 point %. The 6th best eFG%. That is just ON THE BULLS team.

7 guys from Coby's draft who are better and more valuable overall players? Zion Williamson. Ja Morant. RJ Barrett, Darius Garland, Tyler Herro, Brandon Clarke, Claxton, KPJ, Gafford. That's 10. Throw out whatever 3 you "feel" aren't better. But the objective data will say otherwise.

A case could be made for Hunter,Jordan Poole, but I wouldn't buy it.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,164

Post#731 » by League Circles » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:14 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
League Circles wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:My go-to metric? I've given numerous metrics on Coby. So I need to restate them on every post, or are you just purposely ignoring them?

No, I don't. Maybe you are thinking of someone else. The PPG is what supporters of Coby are using to justify the MIP, which is why I responded to that, AND PUT THEM IN CONTEXT by mentioning about 4 times, in various discussions, that he took 7.3 more shots per game. Talk about twisting the discussion. So, for your case, take his PPG increase away and tell me how he improved.

And he absolutely was relatively inefficient. Relative probably isn't even a necessary adjective. The Bulls gave 7.3 more shots per game to a player scoring at .570 TS%? Should we give Torrey Craig 7.3 more shots per game? How about Alex Caruso and Javonte Green? Coby had the 7th best TS% on the team of the major rotational players. Also the 7th highest PER. The 8th best FG%. The 5th best 3 point %. The 6th best eFG%. That is just ON THE BULLS team.

7 guys from Coby's draft who are better and more valuable overall players? Zion Williamson. Ja Morant. RJ Barrett, Darius Garland, Tyler Herro, Brandon Clarke, Claxton, KPJ, Gafford. That's 10. Throw out whatever 3 you "feel" aren't better. But the objective data will say otherwise.

I think stats, even "advanced" ones, are often misleading. To me and most others, Coby has obviously improved in virtually all aspects of his game. Sometimes the eye test is most revealing. Are you under the impression that a player can be established as better or worse than another player objectively via stats? I strongly disagree.

I'd take Coby over Barrett, Herro, Clark, Claxton, KPJ, and Gafford. I admit they can all be debated. Can you?

You can't "give" players more shots. If you could, a guy like a Tyson Chandler would have simply been given 40 shots a game and be the GOAT. We've tried to give Caruso more shots. He often wouldn't take them at least last year. Same with Ayo. Coby had the 7th best TS% among the major rotation players? You're really gonna include Green and Zach with a straight face? Only Ayo and Alex beat Coby by more than 1% TS, and they were lower volume.

You're really on an island with Coby and have been all year.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#732 » by Jcool0 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:16 pm

Axl Rose wrote:Maxey deserved it, and he had the better case in that he ascended into an all-star. If Coby played like he did versus Atlanta against Miami and got the Bulls into the playoffs just maybe that would've been enough.

He didn't ascend to anything this year. His jump was from his rookie year to year 2 where he finished 6th for most improved. He just took more shots this year. Most improved isn't increasing your ppg by 5 more.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,951

Post#733 » by Axl Rose » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:36 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
Axl Rose wrote:Maxey deserved it, and he had the better case in that he ascended into an all-star. If Coby played like he did versus Atlanta against Miami and got the Bulls into the playoffs just maybe that would've been enough.

He didn't ascend to anything this year. His jump was from his rookie year to year 2 where he finished 6th for most improved. He just took more shots this year. Most improved isn't increasing your ppg by 5 more.

Well regardless that all-star being on his sheet helped his case, as well as his 3 50 point games.

Not to mention contributing to a more successful team.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#734 » by Stratmaster » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:03 pm

League Circles wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
League Circles wrote:

I think stats, even "advanced" ones, are often misleading. To me and most others, Coby has obviously improved in virtually all aspects of his game. Sometimes the eye test is most revealing. Are you under the impression that a player can be established as better or worse than another player objectively via stats? I strongly disagree.

I'd take Coby over Barrett, Herro, Clark, Claxton, KPJ, and Gafford. I admit they can all be debated. Can you?

You can't "give" players more shots. If you could, a guy like a Tyson Chandler would have simply been given 40 shots a game and be the GOAT. We've tried to give Caruso more shots. He often wouldn't take them at least last year. Same with Ayo. Coby had the 7th best TS% among the major rotation players? You're really gonna include Green and Zach with a straight face? Only Ayo and Alex beat Coby by more than 1% TS, and they were lower volume.

You're really on an island with Coby and have been all year.
No, I'm not on an island. Quit saying that crap. I was definitely in a minority. And was the first to state it. Turns out every single thing I said was correct.

Alex and Ayo beat Coby by 4%. Not 1%. And you understand there is a reason TS% is extrapolated to the thousandth, right?

Why wouldn't you include Lavine? Only having 25 games and the injuries resulted in his lowest TS% since 2019; and it was still better than Coby who had his 2nd best ever TS, and hit .570 for only the 2nd time in his career. Javonte Green is a lifetime .626. His PER last season was the same as Coby's this season.

I will admit there are valid arguments comparing some of those players I listed to Coby. You asked my opinion, I gave it.

As far as admitting goes, how about you admit that you and a lot of others got all hyped about Coby during his hot streak forgetting he has had similar streaks in previous seasons. Coby regressed to the mean in every way. Shooting, ball handling (still better than he used to be) defense...and absolutely in his decision making.

Coby is exactly who he has always been. Which isn't bad. It just isn't MIP, all-star, or high quality starter caliber like many were saying...or hoping...or wishing.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#735 » by Stratmaster » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:03 pm

Jcool0 wrote:

Exactly

Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#736 » by Hangtime84 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:58 pm

More motivation for Coby
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,852

Post#737 » by jc23 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:11 am

I think Coby wins it if we kept a top 8 seed for the majority of the season.
Be curious, Not judgmental
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 3,079

Post#738 » by jordanwilliams6 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:35 am

Anyone who is trying to argue that Coby has barely improved from his second season is straight up delusional.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,223

Post#739 » by Red8911 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:55 am

Who cares about this meaningless award ? I’m sure Coby have made money out of it but for us as fans these awards don’t really matter.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,661

Post#740 » by Ice Man » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:35 pm

jc23 wrote:I think Coby wins it if we kept a top 8 seed for the majority of the season.

No, he wouldn't. It seemed like Coby took a big leap forward in his game in the middle of the season, when he had some strong stretches, but with his poor start and finish his overall improvement was incremental. I'm with Strat on this one.

Return to Chicago Bulls