Image ImageImage Image

Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,473

Re: Bears 2024: 5.0 It's Caleb Williams time 

Post#841 » by fleet » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:59 am

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

That blog is known for some super clickbait headlines, but that takes the cake on taking liberties with the truth. Neither of those guys claimed one single thing.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,131

Post#842 » by NecessaryEvil » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:00 am

Read on Twitter
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,915

Post#843 » by biggestbullsfan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:01 am

Read on Twitter
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,302

Post#844 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:02 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:
League Circles wrote:I hope another team moves to give us a 2nd nfl team and play in soldier field where the Bears belong. I consider it disgusting that a new stadium is being considered at all, let alone being paid for by the city even partially.

I can easily see it though. Probably lots of people in the city govt and even some residents will convince themselves that what this decaying broke ass city needs is more expensive NFL football games.

The city actually does need the stadium I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face that it doesn't.

Great take.

I love how confident you are in your posts. That worked out well when you told people over and over there is no shot Fields gets traded.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,302

Post#845 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:03 am

Caleb is friends with too many dudes, lol. Rome should tell tell other teams to not bother. Olu at 9, Rome at 75.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,443

Post#846 » by jnrjr79 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:07 am

League Circles wrote:I hope another team moves to give us a 2nd nfl team and play in soldier field where the Bears belong. I consider it disgusting that a new stadium is being considered at all, let alone being paid for by the city even partially.

I can easily see it though. Probably lots of people in the city govt and even some residents will convince themselves that what this decaying broke ass city needs is more expensive NFL football games.

The city actually does need the stadium I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face that it doesn't.

I have no idea why the city would need two giant stadiums next to each other. And, as you’ll see from the renderings today, part of this plan is to demolish much of SF, leaving the colonnades but turning the rest of into some sort of park space.

I don’t support the public funding aspect of the plan, but it would be major overkill to have a 60K seat stadium and a new stadium (80K?) next to each other.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,165

Post#847 » by League Circles » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:11 am

I can't imagine any lesser need. What do you think it does for the city? Make money? Ok, just make the city a corporation and run all the entertainment in town. Maybe they can sign Kevin Hart to do a residence at Soldier. Maybe there is something that I'm ignorantly overlooking, but no level of projected " economic activity" or " return on investment" type of argument has any merit. As far as I'm concerned, the Parks District owns the stadium and if the selfish Bears don't want to play there anymore because it's not enough billions of profit for their billionaire asses, the Parks Department should put it to the next best use they can. That could include many things, but they shouldn't let the corporate creep of the Bears could their thinking. This is a city with many serious problems and the last thing ON EARTH they need is more expensive and luxurious high end entertainment for an extra half a percent of the population.

To me it's an environmental issue, a civic dignity issue, a priority issue, an a historical issue. To me Soldier Fields needs to stand indefinitely. Doesn't have to be football, but you can't tear it down.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,935

Post#848 » by Dresden » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:28 am

League Circles wrote:

I can't imagine any lesser need. What do you think it does for the city? Make money? Ok, just make the city a corporation and run all the entertainment in town. Maybe they can sign Kevin Hart to do a residence at Soldier. Maybe there is something that I'm ignorantly overlooking, but no level of projected " economic activity" or " return on investment" type of argument has any merit. As far as I'm concerned, the Parks District owns the stadium and if the selfish Bears don't want to play there anymore because it's not enough billions of profit for their billionaire asses, the Parks Department should put it to the next best use they can. That could include many things, but they shouldn't let the corporate creep of the Bears could their thinking. This is a city with many serious problems and the last thing ON EARTH they need is more expensive and luxurious high end entertainment for an extra half a percent of the population.

To me it's an environmental issue, a civic dignity issue, a priority issue, an a historical issue. To me Soldier Fields needs to stand indefinitely. Doesn't have to be football, but you can't tear it down.

I tend to agree with this. What's wrong with SF other than the turf? Why does the football team need a shiny new, 3.5B arena, when people are living in dilapidated, rat infested housing?
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,889

Post#849 » by NZB2323 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:30 am

There were 2,450 shootings throughout Chicago last year and the dropout rate was 9.4%, but we should spend taxpayer money on a football stadium and pray about it.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,142

Post#850 » by CjayC » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:37 am

Some anonymous GM tried knocking him, and ended up giving him possibly the greatest player comparison ever.

Read on Twitter
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,581

Post#851 » by dice » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 am

jnrjr79 wrote:Wilco appearing in a Bears thread on a Bulls message board - all my favorite things in life collide.

years ago tweedy's wife's club was closing in chicago. wilco was playing for free on closing night. my friends and i decided to go, but they reached capacity. bun e carlos (drummer for cheap trick) went in right in front of us. i was the first rejection. had i been the only one in the group let in i would've said "see y'all later." just then the band emerged behind us from the street with many bottles of alcohol. as tweedy passed me i asked him if there was room on stage. he mumbled something about not having any control over that and walked in. i assume that i/we missed a great show

the jayhawks are probably the only band i've seen more times. saw both bands on a double bill ages ago
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
boozapalooza
Rookie
And1: 656

Post#852 » by boozapalooza » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:05 am

NecessaryEvil wrote:
Read on Twitter

If we pass on Odunze because Alt is there, I get it. But this…I would be upset.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach

Post#853 » by jnrjr79 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:05 am

dice wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:Wilco appearing in a Bears thread on a Bulls message board - all my favorite things in life collide.

years ago tweedy's wife's club was closing in chicago. wilco was playing for free on closing night. my friends and i decided to go, but they reached capacity. bun e carlos (drummer for cheap trick) went in right in front of us. i was the first rejection. had i been the only one in the group let in i would've said "see y'all later." just then the band emerged behind us from the street with many bottles of alcohol. as tweedy passed me i asked him if there was room on stage. he mumbled something about not having any control over that and walked in. i assume that i/we missed a great show

the jayhawks are probably the only band i've seen more times. saw both bands on a double bill ages ago

Oh, God, what a horrifying story about the closure of the Lounge Ax! I would have been busted up. I was definitely one of those nerds that went to all 5 of the residency shows at the Riv some years back when they played their entire catalog even though in retrospect that seems hilariously unreasonable.

I have seen more Wilco shows than any other band by an order of magnitude, and (this is totally, totally obnoxious, I know) gotten to play with Jeff at a few living room shows due to some people I knew at the Old Town School of Folk Music where I played in their Wilco class for a bunch of years. Through the people I met in that Wilco class I ended up playing in a few different bar bands around town for maybe 5 or 6 years, more or less until I had kids and didn’t have the time for it anymore.
dice
RealGM

Post#854 » by dice » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:06 am

pretty fun, but occasionally screwy

https://espnanalytics.com/draft-sim/

results of 10 personalized simulations, trading down for reasonable (not greedy) return if odunze not available:

9 hunt (EDGE slipping to rd. 4)
7 dorlus (DT slipping to rd. 3)

4 odunze
3 future 1st
2 sweat (DT)
1 coleman (WR), franklin (WR), kneeland (EDGE), latu (trade down w/ denver), rice (WR), laumea (C), later round picks, p. wilson (LB), future 3rd and 4th
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,774

Post#855 » by Jeffster81 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:08 am

Charlesareed wrote:If I’m the bears and I’m going defensive ba offense I’m trading back try get 11&23 I doubt minny would trade to a division rival tho I’d go get the best available WR then grab DT Jerzahn Newton from Illinois and

Minnesota will not trade 23 to jump 2 sports. Bears might get a 2nd, but most likely a 3rd for the 9th.
dice
RealGM

Post#856 » by dice » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:15 am

jnrjr79 wrote:
dice wrote:

Oh, God, what a horrifying story about the closure of the Lounge Ax! I would have been busted up. I was definitely one of those nerds that went to all 5 of the residency shows at the Riv some years back when they played their entire catalog even though in retrospect that seems hilariously unreasonable.

i went to 1 of those shows the year they recorded it for the live album. i think (?) they were only playing 3 shows that year, but it might've been 5

a couple more notables for me were w/ jay bennett at U. of notre dame in the '90s (they tried to get fans on stage, were rejected by security, so came down on the floor to play) and at a small club at U of I when tweedy was in the midst of his drug problem and out-of-sorts

I have seen more Wilco shows than any other band by an order of magnitude, and (this is totally, totally obnoxious, I know) gotten to play with Jeff at a few living room shows due to some people I knew at the Old Town School of Folk Music where I played in their Wilco class for a bunch of years. Through the people I met in that Wilco class I ended up playing in a few different bar bands around town for maybe 5 or 6 years, more or less until I had kids and didn’t have the time for it anymore.

very cool. saw a reunited grant lee buffalo there once. one of the very best '90s bands. grant lee is another guy i've seen a bunch of times

one of the friends i attempted to go to lounge ax with has become quite successful. one of his co-workers lives down the street from tweedy. says it's weird seeing a guy who's probably worth several mil up on the roof cleaning his gutters
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach

Post#857 » by jnrjr79 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:21 am

dice wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
dice wrote:years ago tweedy's wife's club was closing in chicago. wilco was playing for free on closing night. my friends and i decided to go, but they reached capacity. bun e carlos (drummer for cheap trick) went in right in front of us. i was the first rejection. had i been the only one in the group let in i would've said "see y'all later." just then the band emerged behind us from the street with many bottles of alcohol. as tweedy passed me i asked him if there was room on stage. he mumbled something about not having any control over that and walked in. i assume that i/we missed a great show

i went to 1 of those shows the year they recorded it for the live album. i think (?) they were only playing 3 shows that year, but it might've been 5

Yeah, I went to one of the Kicking Television shows as well, which was another multi-night thing but not the same shows as the Residency. Maybe both were at the Riv? As time passes, it’s hard to keep it all straight.

a couple more notables for me were w/ jay bennett at U. of notre dame in the '90s (they tried to get fans on stage, were rejected by security, so came down on the floor to play) and at a small club at U of I when tweedy was in the midst of his drug problem and out-of-sorts

very cool. saw a reunited grant lee buffalo there once. one of the very best '90s bands. grant lee is another guy i've seen a bunch of times

one of the friends i attempted to go to lounge ax with has become quite successful. one of his co-workers lives down the street from tweedy. says it's weird seeing a guy who's probably worth several mil up on the roof cleaning his gutters

Ha, yeah, it’s funny to think of a multi-Grammy-winning lead of one of the most critically acclaimed bands of his generation just…trying to get the damned leaves out of his gutters in his house in Old Irving Park.
dice
RealGM

Post#858 » by dice » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:29 am

jnrjr79 wrote:Yeah, I went to one of the Kicking Television shows as well, which was another multi-night thing but not the same shows as the Residency. Maybe both were at the Riv? As time passes, it’s hard to keep it all straight.

you may be right. i seem to recall his kids up in the lincoln seats rocking out to 'spiders'

edit: 4 kicking TV shows were at the vic
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 745

Post#859 » by Charlesareed » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:41 am

Jeffster81 wrote:
Charlesareed wrote:If I’m the bears and I’m going defensive ba offense I’m trading back try get 11&23 I doubt minny would trade to a division rival tho I’d go get the best available WR then grab DT Jerzahn Newton from Illinois and

Minnesota will not trade 23 to jump 2 sports. Bears might get a 2nd, but most likely a 3rd for the 9th.

Bears will give up the other pick in this draft & the 6th pick they got for fields
Chicago Raised me
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,131

Post#860 » by NecessaryEvil » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:28 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls