Image ImageImage Image

What if Rose is just average going forward?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

What if Rose is just average going forward? 

Post#1 » by sco » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:42 pm

Ok, so I'm a little bored and finding the banter amusing, between those of us who are think Rose is/will be fine and (near) MVP, "The Deny'ers", and those of us who see Rose as less than what he was and fragile, "The Hysterical". So getting that out of the way, I have a serious question for the group.

What should the FO do if Rose never returns to being MVP Rose (let's say he ranks in the middle 1/3 or starting PG's)? He's on the books for another couple years. His contract would likely be untradeable. Noah's contract will be up soon. With Noah, we are a playoff team and can only hope Sac's pick becomes something.

Thoughts? OP abuse? What you got?
:clap:
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,599

Re: What if Rose is just average going forward? 

Post#2 » by Ice Man » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:55 pm

We win 50-55 games, lose in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Year after year. I guess that would seem good for many NBA fans but yuck. May your prophecy not occur.
kuly1990
Veteran
And1: 441

Post#3 » by kuly1990 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:00 pm

he cant be player that he was, in like two real games, it takes time, he didnt play for like two years! Everybody says that there will be rust, it will take time, maybe few months, there may be sorrenes and missed games, but when that really happens, then there are threads like what if Rose is just average, or what if Rose is never the same as he was! Give the guy time, and we will see what will happen...
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#4 » by Mech Engineer » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:05 pm

I don't think Rose will be average or in other words, those chances are very low. If he is a functioning player(healthy enough to play 60-65 games, 30-33 minutes), he will be better than average or at-least an all-star type at the minimum.

That said, advancing deep into the playoffs/contending becomes a big challenge unless Mirotic or McDermott become all-star type players in the future.

I know Chris Paul has a better PG game than Derrick. But, if Derrick becomes a lesser Derrick in terms of being able to do his athletic stuff, the team becomes a "Chris Paul" led kind of team without the experience/PG abilities of Chris Paul. The ceiling is always low for a Chris Paul type PG team unless there is another stud in the rotation.

Or, in other words, a stud Derrick requires less help than a stud Paul.

The only thing I would worry is how the Bulls players, coaches can deal with inconsistency. It is one thing for Derrick to not play for the whole year. But, if he plays for 10 games and sits out 10 games...that is going to be a problem and I hope that doesn't happen. That is the worst case scenario other than another big injury.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#5 » by coldfish » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:10 pm

I think the chances of him being average are slim to none. He is either going to be good to great or bad to injured. And let's be honest, when he was playing last year he was bad.

If he is bad to injured, the Bulls are screwed for a very long time. 5-10 years before they can consider being a contender because by the time you clear Rose's contract, Noah, Gibson, Gasol, etc. will likely be old and gone too. Complete team rebuild after 3 years of mediocrity.
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#6 » by 6_Rings » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:19 pm

one thing's for sure, he'll never be MVP again.
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,959

Post#7 » by Wingy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:20 pm

coldfish wrote:I think the chances of him being average are slim to none. He is either going to be good to great or bad to injured. And let's be honest, when he was playing last year he was bad.

If he is bad to injured, the Bulls are screwed for a very long time. 5-10 years before they can consider being a contender because by the time you clear Rose's contract, Noah, Gibson, Gasol, etc. will likely be old and gone too. Complete team rebuild after 3 years of mediocrity.

Bah, screw the 3 years. Blow it up and capitalize on these assets, especially Noah and Taj.

Though, it would never actually happen. Too much money to be added to the coffers being average.
Chi
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,376

Post#8 » by Chi » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:41 pm

What if Rose is a SuperStar going forward?
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#9 » by boomershadow » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:45 pm

You guys are living in the same Eastern Conference that I am, and I think you go to the finals if Rose is even just good and not great, given the rest of your roster.
pb-ceo
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#10 » by pb-ceo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:50 pm

I think if he just takes care of the ball, hits open shots, plays defense and finds the open man, that's all we can ask for. I'm somewhat worried we may not get that derrick though.
MalikJoakim24
Banned User
And1: 3,420

Post#11 » by MalikJoakim24 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:59 pm

6_Rings wrote:one thing's for sure, he'll never be MVP again.

SpinninHouse
RealGM
And1: 2,725

Post#12 » by SpinninHouse » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:02 pm

Yeah, I think Derrick being "average" is the least likely of all scenarios. The two most likely scenario's are:

1) Rose basically doesn't play after breaking down physically.

OR

2) Rose misses 20-some odd games with various aches and injuries but plays at fairly high level.

For him to maintain his health all season but just be totally average is extraordinarily unlikely. Having said that, we'll probably win 50 games with or without him. We're pretty stacked and have good PG depth with Brooks and Hinrich.
FIRE THE JOHN "THE SNAKE" PAXSON, FOR GARMAN, AND FRED HOIBERGER.

#CHICAGOBULLS
mj234eva
General Manager
And1: 3,570

Post#13 » by mj234eva » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:13 pm

coldfish wrote: And let's be honest, when he was playing last year he was bad.

First 5 games:

34% from 2.
27% from 3.
4 APG.
5 TOV per game.

Last 5 games:

37.5% from 2.
40% from 3.
4.6 APG
1.8 TOV per game.

No denying he was improving.
Michael Jordan wrote:Sometimes I wish I could be my teammates looking at that
defense. It must be nice. But it isn't nice for me.
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#14 » by Bandit King » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Average? :lol:

Rose has already shown he is back to form.
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,081

Post#15 » by sisibilio » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Agree. The question with Rose is if he can play more or less injury free or not. If he can, he'll be above average for sure, wich doesn't neccessarily mean MVPlike.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
otwok
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,327

Post#16 » by otwok » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:36 pm

If Rose is just average moving forward then we are paying a large amount of money for an average player, and when he enters free agency we pay him average money unless someone else wants to overpay for an average player.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#17 » by Rerisen » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:37 pm

Suns are shopping Bledsoe. Consolidation trade could be a savior in such a scenario.

This team is not well built if Rose isn't close to 100%. It's like they just assumed he would be.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#18 » by Stratmaster » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:40 pm

I agree that Rose is unlikely to be average. It is a healthy or not healthy question. However, I do believe he could likely be less than what he was, and be a bottom tier all-star player if healthy. Still a good bit above average. Not quite what he was. In that case, I still believe the Bulls will be serious Cahmp contenders; certainly contenders for the East Championship.

If Rose isn't healthy, I can see the bulls being a 2nd round playoff team without him ever seeing the court; heck, in the East, if they avoid the Cavs until then, maybe even the losers of the Eastern Conference Finals.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#19 » by jc23 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:55 pm

nah, he will either be great or he will be a guy who never gets healthy.
Be curious, Not judgmental
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#20 » by the ultimates » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:10 pm

mj234eva wrote:
coldfish wrote: And let's be honest, when he was playing last year he was bad.

First 5 games:

34% from 2.
27% from 3.
4 APG.
5 TOV per game.

Last 5 games:

37.5% from 2.
40% from 3.
4.6 APG
1.8 TOV per game.

No denying he was improving.

I'm going to need you to stop posting factual stat's. This board needs the doom and gloom of a ten game sample size to say a player will never again be or be close to what he once was.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.

Return to Chicago Bulls