Image ImageImage Image

PG: Thank you Jimmy Butler

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,169

Re: PG: Thank you Jimmy Butler 

Post#161 » by alucryts » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:22 am

Shameless self quote

viewtopic.php?p=28456199#p28456199

alucryts wrote:I've done a bit of research on Butler and I like the pick a lot. He is definitely the type of guy that will literally do everything he is asked to do on a team. In his limited highlights and game footage that is actually out there, he has shown a knack for finishing at the rim and grabbing offensive boards. He seems to finish well through contact and is excellent at getting to the line (also decent at ft shooting).

One of the key notes I found on him was the idea that the Bulls seem to be relying on the fact that he has shown improvements on his shot. I saw multiple places that his mid range game has improved a lot more in both actual production and confidence. If you give this guy range on his jump shot out to the NBA three point line, he can be a very, very good player for us. The fact that he has shown mid range improvement and is a decent free throw shooter combines with his work ethic to bode well for his future as a shooter. I'm by no means saying he's going to improve it and become a steal, but if he does Butler will be a major steal in the draft. His 3 point shot is going to be the biggest factor for him in his NBA career with the Bulls.

Another interesting bit of information I came across was the fact that he used to be a big scorer. When he first entered college (not the D1 level, it was a minor college), he said that he put up a few 30 and 40 point games before he got noticed by the D1 schools. It was after he was drafted is when Marquette asked him to essentially shed the scorer title and become a more well rounded player. That is when he made his game all about being the jack of all trades, master of none. He may have a bit more scoring talent than he showed on the D1 level.

Scoring by year on the D1 level:
Sophomore: 62.7% ts% on 3.05 fga, 5.6 ppg, 3.2 fta/g, 76.7% ft%
Junior: 64.5% ts% on 8.2 fga, 14.6 ppg, 7.17 fta/g, 76.6% ft%
Senior: 59.7% ts% on 10.3 fga, 15.7 ppg, 6.48 fta/g, 78.33% ft%

What can he do in the NBA for the Bulls in my opinion? Well I have no doubts in my mind he can play either sg or sf from all the information that I have gathered. He has been asked to guard everything from point guards to power forwards at the college level; he consistently guarded the other teams best player. From that, to me it is clear he will not be a liability defensively whether he ends up at the sg spot or playing sf, and he will become a plus on the defensive side giving the defense the ability to switch defensively and not suffer a mismatch. On offense, if Butler keeps a decent mid range game and does not add a three point shot, he will be the career backup of Luol Deng as his best outlook on the Bulls. If Butler adds range to the three point line and develops a good shot, he could potentially start at sg with his talent. Jimmy Butler with a three point shot is quite solidly a strong player on any NBA team.

This year, I expect him to be the person that allows Luol to sit a bit more. His potential to be a long-range threat is something that will come into play in my opinion a year or two down the road as he has more of a chance to develop it. His three point shot is the key to his career as it has been for a lot of players coming into the NBA. His ceiling in our system is a decent starting shooting guard with strong defense. It will be interesting to see if he can continue to develop his shot as well as how the Bulls use him. He is definitely a bit raw in the sense that he has shown the ability to add to his game combined with the fact that he is just beginning to take the learning curve as a shooter (mostly spot up). The Bulls took Butler in my opinion gambling on the idea that he can develop a three point shot.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#162 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:32 am

alucryts wrote:Shameless self quote

alucryts wrote:I've done a bit of research on Butler and I like the pick a lot. He is definitely the type of guy that will literally do everything he is asked to do on a team. In his limited highlights and game footage that is actually out there, he has shown a knack for finishing at the rim and grabbing offensive boards. He seems to finish well through contact and is excellent at getting to the line (also decent at ft shooting).

One of the key notes I found on him was the idea that the Bulls seem to be relying on the fact that he has shown improvements on his shot. I saw multiple places that his mid range game has improved a lot more in both actual production and confidence. If you give this guy range on his jump shot out to the NBA three point line, he can be a very, very good player for us. The fact that he has shown mid range improvement and is a decent free throw shooter combines with his work ethic to bode well for his future as a shooter. I'm by no means saying he's going to improve it and become a steal, but if he does Butler will be a major steal in the draft. His 3 point shot is going to be the biggest factor for him in his NBA career with the Bulls.

Another interesting bit of information I came across was the fact that he used to be a big scorer. When he first entered college (not the D1 level, it was a minor college), he said that he put up a few 30 and 40 point games before he got noticed by the D1 schools. It was after he was drafted is when Marquette asked him to essentially shed the scorer title and become a more well rounded player. That is when he made his game all about being the jack of all trades, master of none. He may have a bit more scoring talent than he showed on the D1 level.

What can he do in the NBA for the Bulls in my opinion? Well I have no doubts in my mind he can play either sg or sf from all the information that I have gathered. He has been asked to guard everything from point guards to power forwards at the college level; he consistently guarded the other teams best player. From that, to me it is clear he will not be a liability defensively whether he ends up at the sg spot or playing sf, and he will become a plus on the defensive side giving the defense the ability to switch defensively and not suffer a mismatch. On offense, if Butler keeps a decent mid range game and does not add a three point shot, he will be the career backup of Luol Deng as his best outlook on the Bulls. If Butler adds range to the three point line and develops a good shot, he could potentially start at sg with his talent. Jimmy Butler with a three point shot is quite solidly a strong player on any NBA team.

This year, I expect him to be the person that allows Luol to sit a bit more. His potential to be a long-range threat is something that will come into play in my opinion a year or two down the road as he has more of a chance to develop it. His three point shot is the key to his career as it has been for a lot of players coming into the NBA. His ceiling in our system is a decent starting shooting guard with strong defense. It will be interesting to see if he can continue to develop his shot as well as how the Bulls use him. He is definitely a bit raw in the sense that he has shown the ability to add to his game combined with the fact that he is just beginning to take the learning curve as a shooter (mostly spot up). The Bulls took Butler in my opinion gambling on the idea that he can develop a three point shot.

This is the second time you have shamelessly self quoted this very quote :wink: :D
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,169

Post#163 » by alucryts » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:37 am

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
alucryts wrote:Shameless self quote

This is the second time you have shamelessly self quoted this very quote :wink: :D

hey you have to milk the wins alright :lol: :lol:

But I was at this game. Niko seemed to have a large impact out there. Still some hesitation but he is a player.
Keller61
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#164 » by Keller61 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:40 am

meekrab wrote:Can someone explain why Jimmy doesn't play this way with Rose in the game? I understand his touches are limited with another first option player in the game but he needs to ask for the ball more.

I wouldn't mind if we run the offense through either Rose or Jimmy on every play when they're both healthy. I want to see less of those isolation Gasol/Gibson postups (unless they have a real mismatch) and set plays for contested Dunleavy jumpers.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#165 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:44 am

alucryts wrote:
hey you have to milk the wins alright :lol: :lol:

But I was at this game. Niko seemed to have a large impact out there. Still some hesitation but he is a player.

Yeah, Niko generally has a positive impact when he's on the court.

His defense I would say is the big surprise. Sure he could stand to improve, but he shows to have very good instincts on that side of the ball.

It will be very interesting to see how much better he can get. Generally, Euro player's take a year to get adjusted to the NBA game. To think how good he can be in a year, especially after he has a summer to work out with our coaching staff and maybe even weight train?

Man, this kid was a steal and worth the wait.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
PhilippineBulls
Junior
And1: 448

Post#166 » by PhilippineBulls » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:16 am

Meanwhile, Over at the Knicks Forum... getting delusional

Derkach77
Junior
And1: 192

Post#167 » by Derkach77 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:22 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpLKFnONdTI[/youtube]
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,806

Post#168 » by jc23 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:10 am

kdapiton wrote:
Jax Teller wrote:For those of you moaning about Butler's minutes, you do realize if he plays 5 less minutes we lose the game? Did you see Snell out there? I just don't understand why there are still a few people out there thinking Snell should get more minutes, he is useless!

If everyone else played worth a damn and we didn't struggle so much Jimmy would have gotten more rest. He had to play these minutes tonight, he was pretty much all we had for most of the game.

This is gonna be our undoing.

We need one more guy in that position, someone who can play.

It can be one of those huge mid-season signings ala Birdman.

corey brewer would be a great pickup but i dont think we have the right players to make the deal worth while.

Snell just isnt going to cut it, i can admit that now, darn.
Be curious, Not judgmental
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#169 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:28 am

Snell, Cam and Moore for at least something.. I would keep Moore,but he aint playin...so
jumpmanjay
Analyst
And1: 703

Post#170 » by jumpmanjay » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:31 am

Looked like a team that was playing one of the leagues worst teams and will play a very good team in a back to back the next day. We got what we needed.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#171 » by kingkirk » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:46 am

Just watched the game. That was **** ****.

Offense is crap. The ball sticks in the hand of the ball handler far too long whilst we wait around looking for guys to finish their cuts and routes.

Terrible game, and without Rose tomorrow, it could get ugly.
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#172 » by pylb » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:36 am

We should have played with more energy, but we put together enough good stretches to put a team like the Knicks away. I liked what Thibs did with Snell and Moore. They were both bad, but he kept them in to give Mike/Jimmy a breather and they weren't bad enough that it mattered vs the Knicks.
spectacularmove
Bench Warmer
And1: 316

Post#173 » by spectacularmove » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:01 am

Gasol worries me, I know his numbers are a lot better than expected and that he is on a perfect contract, but I just get the feeling like he is the anti-Noah or something, is like there is no fire in him, and this seems to spread into the rest of the team.
you are not your thoughts
SpinninHouse
RealGM
And1: 2,725

Post#174 » by SpinninHouse » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:17 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:I remember a Knicks fan once telling me that Jimmy Butler was a poor man's Iman Shumpert..

Now, it was funny then, but now.. .

:rofl:

A few years ago on the Knicks board there was a Felton vs DRose thread. One Knicks poster claimed Felton>Rose.
FIRE THE JOHN "THE SNAKE" PAXSON, FOR GARMAN, AND FRED HOIBERGER.

#CHICAGOBULLS
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#175 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:21 am

Lolo wrote:
kdapiton wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/545791371077226496[/tweet]

bae <3

This is why Jimmy takes a back seat to Derrick. Somewhere thru the course of the season, Jimmy needs to start seeing himself as a scorer AND a hard worker and not defer to Rose so much. They haven't played together very much, so they need to learn to play with each other, and Butler needs to learn to see himself as more than just a hard worker!

I agree. The Bulls will not reach true greatness until Rose learns to defer to Jimmy, at certain times, to create instead of just jacking up contested 3's early in the shot clock. He has a weapon who can take pressure off of him and even get hi a lot of easy ones, he just needs to learn to work with him,
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#176 » by dumbell78 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:11 am

Overall lacklustre win but whatever.

Niko still impressive. Making nice steady gains as the season goes on, as long as he gets his minutes that is.

Jimmy is flat out a stud and much more aggressive when Rose sits. Small sample size but could be a trend, he's deferring when Rose is out there. Don't know if it's Thibs system or Jimmy just falling back but I dont like it. Really think we need to run offense through Jimmy some more even when all are healthy.

Has Snell ever fought through one screen? Dead serious!
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,313

Re: PG:P Thank you Jimmy Butler 

Post#177 » by coldfish » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:44 am

mmmmmbeeer wrote:
coldfish wrote:Game summary

4.0 Nikola Mirotic. A very poor defensive showing. Getting lost quite frequently and even lost a bunch of defensive rebounds. Had some nice shots and passes though.

Coldfish, I love reading your game summaries, all your posts for that matter....with that said, what did Niko do to your family, man? You are harsh when it comes to Niko....it's like I'm reading Thibs post-game analysis, not wanting to give a rookie too big of a head. I read all the way through every one of your game summaries and you're constantly brutal when it comes to Niko.

Tonight, he scored 13pts efficiently, only 1 rebound but 3 dimes, 3 steals, and a block...and that doesn't even take into account some of the hustle plays he made that don't show up in the box score. It's as if you're grading him as a 5yr vet....he's a rookie in Thib's defense, he's going to make mistakes. Assuming a "5" on your scale is "satisfactory", I didn't see enough mistakes tonight to trump the positives he brought to this game that would give him a "4".

Jimmy was a beast tonight....if he can find some consistency with the 3, he's going to be a top player in this league. Good game from Pau and Brooks tonight. Interesting seeing Moore and Brooks in the backcourt...didn't work out too well but def a new look.

I don't grade versus expectations. 5.0 is your average NBA player. If Rose has a disappointing night for him and Snell has a good night for Snell, I would still give Rose a better rating. I also put a lot of weight on tactical correctness and defense. If someone is regularly out of position or missing defensive rotations, I knock them for it. Look at what I did with Pau tonight. I gave him a 6 when his box score looks really good.

In general, I see Mirotic making a LOT of mental mistakes. Its typical for a rookie, I agree, but not typical for an NBA player. That's why he regularly gets lower grades than fans here seem to want. Its also why he is the 4th big in rotation.

If you actually read through my posts, I have said Mirotic is a very impressive player for a rookie many, many times.
Vbulls213
Junior
And1: 157

Post#178 » by Vbulls213 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:49 am

Rewatching the game now.
Have'nt got the time earlier :)
rygar wrote:Afflalo is a perfect fit next to Melo and will have a monster season, book it.
CPThree
Banned User
And1: 126

Post#179 » by CPThree » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:09 pm

Damn, Jimmy went off last night. The atmosphere was electric every time he touched the ball. It was great being there.

So glad Rose decided to sit out with the sniffles and let Jimmy do his thing.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,222

Post#180 » by Red8911 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:17 pm

Hokie wrote:All of Butler's numbers in the box score look nice and pretty... except his minutes.

Board favorite Captain Kirk with a team-best +10 tonight.

Plus became 3rd bull all time in assists beating norm van lier.

Return to Chicago Bulls