Image ImageImage Image

Deng to GS PG.13 / PG.43 Bulls Say Otherwise

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

ChicagoStrong
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Re: Deng to GS PG.13 / PG.43 Bulls Say Otherwise 

Post#1101 » by ChicagoStrong » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:21 pm

Ron Harper wrote:Actually, just let me know when he looks like he is at all interested in putting the ball into the cup come playoff time.

There was one Philly game this postseason he looked to shoot. One!

And last years ECF...I don't think either of us want to get started on that nonsense. He almost quite literally didn't face the basket at all series in the 4th.

Against Philly this year he scored:

His shot attempts weren't the problem, he just didn't shoot any free throws.

You are correct Against Miami, in the 4th Quarters he was only 5-15 in the 5 games with 2 attempts at the rim.
Ron Harper
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#1102 » by Ron Harper » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:28 pm

ChicagoStrong wrote:
Ron Harper wrote:Actually, just let me know when he looks like he is at all interested in putting the ball into the cup come playoff time.

There was one Philly game this postseason he looked to shoot. One!

And last years ECF...I don't think either of us want to get started on that nonsense. He almost quite literally didn't face the basket at all series in the 4th.

Against Philly this year he scored:

His shot attempts weren't the problem, he just didn't shoot any free throws.

You are correct Against Miami, in the 4th Quarters he was only 5-15 in the 5 games with 2 attempts at the rim.

If you are someone like Sacramento, is that enough for you to want to deal the #5 pick?

It's not like I hate Deng, but when you start looking at him as a trade asset it kind of becomes hard to see him as a player that brings you back something real nice.

He's a player that has grown on us as fans for a multitude of reasons. But those reasons aren't all that exciting when he is not on your team.

I still think his greatest ability is that he eats up minutes. He would be a stabling force for a lot of teams looking to take the next step, but you still are going to need a ton of talent around a guy like Deng to go anywhere.
Keith Bogans does his job. Boo Hoo. You want him to quit?
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,237

Post#1103 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Ron Harper wrote:For sure, Deng's contract plays a part in all of this.

I was just saying we as fans have been saying "this and this for Deng" when the reality might be that teams are scoffing at the thought of giving up a lottery pick for him.

rumors from every published report (KC Johnson, Sam Smith and WOJ) and even our own posters (Ralph, Boogey and JOHN) teams are willing to give up a lottery pick for him but won't just absorb his contract. Bulls are trying to save money and not pay lux tax. If it was just about getting a lottery pick, then Deng would/will be traded to either Sacramento, GSW or Toronto.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Ron Harper
Assistant Coach

Post#1104 » by Ron Harper » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:32 pm

Also, I'm kind of nitpicking those Philly scoring stats but after Rose went down Deng comes out and drops 8 points? After Noah goes down he comes out and drops 5 points??

He took the game by the balls in game 5...but it was already too late.

He scored 8 points per game on 30% shooting in the 3 games after Rose went down. All losses.
Ron Harper
Assistant Coach

Post#1105 » by Ron Harper » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:34 pm

Pong-Man83 wrote:

I was just saying we as fans have been saying "this and this for Deng" when the reality might be that teams are scoffing at the thought of giving up a lottery pick for him.

rumors from every published report (KC Johnson, Sam Smith and WOJ) and even our own posters (Ralph, Boogey and JOHN) teams are willing to give up a lottery pick for him but won't just absorb his contract. Bulls are trying to save money and not pay lux tax. If it was just about getting a lottery pick, then Deng would/will be traded to either Sacramento, GSW or Toronto.

I feel like this is making my point. Teams won't just take on Deng for a lotto pick. It's not worth it to them. I feel like teams think Deng is making too much money. And why the Chandler to GSW rumors are starting. (and knowing rumors, probably has already died)
BULLHITTER
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#1106 » by BULLHITTER » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Also, I'm kind of nitpicking those Philly scoring stats but after Rose went down Deng comes out and drops 8 points? After Noah goes down he comes out and drops 5 points??

He took the game by the balls in game 5...but it was already too late.

He scored 8 points on 30% shooting in the 3 games after Rose went down. All losses.

this is kind of where i'm sitting on deng; he's shrunk enough times in games that matter to not dismiss him entirely because he's a bit more than serviceable, but not a guy that's going to be directly and impactfully instrumental to winning. when folks point to deng's stats, it's mostly because watching him there's no one talent that stands out. he's always given good effort on D, and for most of the matchups, he does fine; meaning the bulls don't get killed at that matchup.

he's a glue guy given enough shot attempts to score pretty well. i wouldn't have been disappointed to see the bulls admit that and look to upgrade. if they keep him.....oh well.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,461

Post#1107 » by samwana » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:49 pm

Put Deng in with Cousins and he has a big scorer as a big man, he doesn't have to do so much on offense, and Cousins is going to get a lot more attention as Noah or Boozer get and thus he has a lot more space, just what he needs. Don't act as if Deng is just an average player, he is not, he is a top SF.
BULLHITTER
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#1108 » by BULLHITTER » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Put Deng in with Cousins and he has a big scorer as a big man, he doesn't have to do so much on offense, and Cousins is going to get a lot more attention as Noah or Boozer get and thus he has a lot more space, just what he needs

put deng with other good players and he'll play good? novel idea. i submit to you, put deng in the position ben was in and he nor the pistons would've fared any better than they have; meaning, imho deng wouldn't make an bad to average team, like sacto OR detroit, a playoff team.

Don't act as if Deng is just an average player, he is not, he is a top SF.

cool; he's probably in the lower part of the top quarter; and tied with a few others at that.
AAU Teammate
RealGM
And1: 803

Post#1109 » by AAU Teammate » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Point blank, the Bulls can solve their issues with the amnesty of Boozer in 1-2 years. So unless they love someone in this draft, there'll be no trade of Lu for a pick. From the looks of it, they haven't really looked into these lottery prospects very much.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,817

Post#1110 » by DuckIII » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Ron Harper wrote:If you are someone like Sacramento, is that enough for you to want to deal the #5 pick?

Considering that the most likely result of a #5 pick's career is to become a player worse than Deng, you betcha. Not every team, of course, because different teams are in different stages of rebuilding. Which leads me to this:

But those reasons aren't all that exciting when he is not on your team.

They are for a team like Sacto. That team has some highly talented pieces around Deng. Guys that want the ball, love to score, and can create their own shot. What they baaaaaaadly need is a defensive stalwart and leader to galvanize that talent and give the team an identity and direction.

If I'm Sacto, Deng is absolutely the type of guy I'm looking to add instead of another young lottery pick of questionable quality.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
MVP Rose
Banned User
And1: 35

Post#1111 » by MVP Rose » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:06 pm

In an ideal world, you can keep Rose, Deng, Noah together. These are your 3 best players, all elite defenders (imo), starting with the superstar, down to the latter two being all-star caliber players. A perfectly constructed team has these 3 at the helm, with a scoring PF as your 2nd option (somebody like LMA would be ideal).

However, in light of Rose's injury, a Deng deal puts the Bulls in a more flexible position down the road, to potentially shed some salary and use that money to invest in an actually feasible 2nd option (assuming GS would absorb his salary, my apologies, I haven't read this entire thread).

I really, really hope the Bulls don't hesitate to pull the guns out and make some significant changes this off-season. The team as currently constructed isn't beating Miami. It's questionable if the team would have beaten Miami this year if they remained healthy, and while the Bulls are poised to lose depth Miami is in a position to add some with the Ray Allen rumors floating around. Not to mention, their big 3 will only get better with more chemistry and experience..I really, really think a significant move is necessary, and when I say 'significant' I'm talking Dwight Howard significant. You NEED a 2nd option to deflect that attention away from your best player. No player in modern era is good enough to single handedly carry a team of Tito's to the promised land without the help of a 2nd star. Heck, it can even be argued that the renowned 04 pistons wouldn't have won the championship without the Hollywood Drama going on between Shaq/Kobe/Phil Jackson and the rest of that mess of a squad that season. Want to point to the Spurs of the last decade as an example? Rose is NOWHERE near prime Duncan as an overall player, and might never be. Not to mention, those teams featured even MORE depth than the current Bulls, BETTER coaching, arguably a top 5 defender of all time, and two extraordinary players in Parker and Manu.

TL;DR summary: Bulls need a 2nd option, desperately. If it means trading Deng, depth, assets, or any combination of these, than so be it. JUMP on the Dwight Howard trade. SELL him on the idea of playing in Chicago. Even if he's hesitant at first, he'll buy into it after a season. Look at Deron Williams, you think he wanted to play in **** New Jersey? He'll more than likely turn down his home-town Mavs to stay in NJ because it'd be PR nightmare to change teams again..
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,817

Post#1112 » by DuckIII » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Ron Harper wrote:
Pong-Man83 wrote:

I feel like this is making my point. Teams won't just take on Deng for a lotto pick. It's not worth it to them. I feel like teams think Deng is making too much money. And why the Chandler to GSW rumors are starting. (and knowing rumors, probably has already died)

Its not. It makes the point that teams do view Deng as adequately talented and desirable to sacrifice a lottery pick for. That is the talent analysis.

The financial analysis is separate. The financial analysis is that they are willing to pay his contract (i.e., he's not so overpaid that teams don't want him), but they want the transaction to be cost neutral. They want to ship out a non-expiring deal along with the pick.

It should not be surprising that teams view Deng as a lottery talent asset, as he was a lottery pick and, more importantly, one of the few that actually went on to become an extremely good basketball player by NBA standards.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Ron Harper
Assistant Coach

Post#1113 » by Ron Harper » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:23 pm

So they don't want Deng for a lotto pick basically...
cubd8
Bench Warmer
And1: 61

Post#1114 » by cubd8 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Now that these Deng rumors appear to be false (or at least extremely unlikely), this is looking like an extremely quiet and predictable draft for the Bulls with them expected to target a perimeter player in the draft.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User
And1: 810

Post#1115 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:32 am

I don't think the Bulls are simply trying to unload Deng because of the tax. I believe that Deng is no longer in their future plans & they don't plan to re-sign him in two years.

It's better to get something for him now.
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#1116 » by theanimal23 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:35 am

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:I don't think the Bulls are simply trying to unload Deng because of the tax. I believe that Deng is no longer in their future plans & they don't plan to re-sign him in two years.

That would be the only thing that makes sense. Otherwise we let Brewer, Korver, and Watson go; would need to let Asik go too if there was no way around it. Deng > Asik in terms of value to this team. Rather keep Deng long-term that Asik. It makes no sense for the Bulls to shop Deng around this much unless as you said, he isn't in the long-term plans. If that's so, it may be best to make a move now unless they feel come playoffs we will still be a strong contender despite a weak bench.
cubd8
Bench Warmer
And1: 61

Post#1117 » by cubd8 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:11 am

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:I don't think the Bulls are simply trying to unload Deng because of the tax. I believe that Deng is no longer in their future plans & they don't plan to re-sign him in two years.

The Bulls would be writing off next season if they traded Deng. I just don't think they are willing to do that, even if it does make sense to consider using next season as an opportunity to get younger.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User
And1: 810

Post#1118 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:22 am

cubd8 wrote:

The Bulls would be writing off next season if they traded Deng. I just don't think they are willing to do that, even if it does make sense to consider using next season as an opportunity to get younger.

Next season was written off when D-Rose tore his ACL.
freshtrinity46
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#1119 » by freshtrinity46 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:59 am

Deng to CHA for #2 and Tyrus Thomas? :o
mschmidt64
Senior
And1: 231

Post#1120 » by mschmidt64 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:04 am

If the Bulls can get a top 5 pick for Deng, they are foolish not to take Salmons or Evans back.

They would still be saving money. Sure, Deng's 13 mil salary is replaced almost entirely by, say, Salmons' 8 mil and the rookies 2 mil.

But then since you have two players instead of just one in Deng, you can also waive Brewer or Korver and that's another 5 mil savings.

So you're saving 8 mil by doing that deal, still.

And now you've got MKG or Barnes in the fold to grow with Rose. I think MKG has more star potential as an inside scorer, but if you get Barnes, he's your outside shooter for Rose to kick to for the next decade.

Return to Chicago Bulls