Image ImageImage Image

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Michael Jackson, kulaz3000, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player?

Yes?
38%
No?
62%

Total votes: 119

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,907

Re: Is Dalen Terry an NBA level player? 

Post#161 » by dougthonus » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:23 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
League Circles wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
I'd probably let him go now. He looks hopelessly far away from being an NBA player.

I think there's a very substantial chance that AK is going to do the right thing and decline his option tomorrow. I think that's why he's being sent down to Windy City.

I think we'll pick up his 3rd-year option for two reasons: for AKME to save face and to use his contract as a small salary filler in a potential trade.

You can use him as salary filler now. If we decline the option, he's a UFA at the end of the season, but he's still an expiring now. Next season you could just use the room he would occupy in place of salary filler (especially now that you can use the MLE / BAE in trades).
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,371

Post#162 » by DASMACKDOWN » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:39 pm

I wonder if we will extend Terry or not. Today is the day.

I would actually be surprised if we didn't. We didnt get all that player development staff just to watch them walk out the door. So I say he worth at least one more year.
The Cult of Personality
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#163 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,613

Post#164 » by jacoby1us » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:51 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

But why?
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,205

Post#165 » by League Circles » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:52 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I know the impact is unlikely to be significant, but this is just an epic fail by AK. Furthers the notion that he can't admit mistakes. Smfh
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,692

Post#166 » by sco » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:56 pm

jacoby1us wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

But why?

Off season salary filler.

Man, if there was ever an obvious guy to not extend, it was Terry. He is soooo far from being an NBA player. He makes Marko look like an allstar.
:clap:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,907

Post#167 » by dougthonus » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:25 pm

sco wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

But why?

Off season salary filler.

Man, if there was ever an obvious guy to not extend, it was Terry. He is soooo far from being an NBA player. He makes Marko look like an allstar.

There's no reason to have off-season salary filler. You could just use cap space instead. The MLE/BAE/DPEs can now all act as cap space in a trade, there are some scenarios where his contract increases flexibility in terms of total dollars, but it likely hurts more than helps because those scenarios are limited and getting room back would be more valuable to anyone than Terry.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
League Circles
RealGM

Post#168 » by League Circles » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:45 pm

He'll probably spend all of this season and next with Windy City before signing an extension of his rookie deal for 8 mil a year to serve as our long term 4th string SF.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#169 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:07 pm

There's also the possibility that AKME actually likes Dalen's potential and they want to see how he progresses. They're not the best talent evaluators, so it's as likely as any other explanation.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#170 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:17 pm

Assuming everything else stays the same, how much would Dalen have to improve his 3-point shot to become a rotation player for us?

Let's put it in terms of 3P% and 3PA per 36. Would the same volume as Pat (3.4 3PA per 36 for his career) except on say, 34-37% be good enough?
League Circles
RealGM

Post#171 » by League Circles » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:51 pm

I really can't get over how dumb this was. Send a player to the G league and then pick up his third year option while you have a BUNCH of guys ahead of him at his position. Not saying it's impossible that he becomes good, but the significant likelihood is that he's a bad contract in 2024-25. 3rd string players should NEVER be under contract for multiple years except on title contending teams IMO.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,303

Post#172 » by Dan Z » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:24 am

League Circles wrote:I really can't get over how dumb this was. Send a player to the G league and then pick up his third year option while you have a BUNCH of guys ahead of him at his position. Not saying it's impossible that he becomes good, but the significant likelihood is that he's a bad contract in 2024-25. 3rd string players should NEVER be under contract for multiple years except on title contending teams IMO.

Doug suggests that Terry's contract could be used in a trade. Maybe that was part of their decision to pick up his third year option?

As for Terry's potential to become an NBA player, I have my doubts. AKME haven't done a good job with young players/prospects IMO. Terry, Phillips, Adama Sonogo are all G League level players and I have no idea if they'll ever be good enough to do much in the NBA. PW has his moments, but isn't living up to expectations. Ayo was okay in year one, but hasn't done much since that time.
Chicagoat
Pro Prospect
And1: 989

Post#173 » by Chicagoat » Wed Nov 1, 2023 12:53 am

Man what happened to our drafting? It never was that great, sure we had some hits here and there but we usually have our fair share of misses in recent years.. I understand scouting and drafting good players is very hard but good NBA franchises always find a way to find talent in the draft. I just don't want to go through a rebuild with this current front office regime because it would be just another repeat for when GARPAX did that rebuild post Butler.
AKME? More like MEAK with how they're afraid to make a move to push us in one direction.

Continuity :banghead: :banghead:
MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#174 » by MikeDC » Wed Nov 1, 2023 2:20 pm

Dan Z wrote:
League Circles wrote:I really can't get over how dumb this was. Send a player to the G league and then pick up his third year option while you have a BUNCH of guys ahead of him at his position. Not saying it's impossible that he becomes good, but the significant likelihood is that he's a bad contract in 2024-25. 3rd string players should NEVER be under contract for multiple years except on title contending teams IMO.

Doug suggests that Terry's contract could be used in a trade. Maybe that was part of their decision to pick up his third year option?

As for Terry's potential to become an NBA player, I have my doubts. AKME haven't done a good job with young players/prospects IMO. Terry, Phillips, Adama Sonogo are all G League level players and I have no idea if they'll ever be good enough to do much in the NBA. PW has his moments, but isn't living up to expectations. Ayo was okay in year one, but hasn't done much since that time.

Unless I'm mistaken, Doug's (correctly) saying that Terry's contract could be used in a trade this year regardless of whether we picked up his third year option.

If we decline his option, Terry is an expiring contract. That's a small positive as a trade.

By picking up his option, he's still tradable, but whomever we'd trade him to is on the hook for paying him $5.4M next year. Which is, frankly, a negative.

In short, it's another bad decision.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,084

Post#175 » by Wingy » Wed Nov 1, 2023 2:27 pm

Honestly wouldn’t be surprised one bit if his personality is one of the main reasons he is sticking. Guessing they like his energy in the locker room, and that he’s really popular amongst his teammates.

Is that a good reason to keep a guy? Objectively no. But it is the AKMEBD Bulls we’re talking here, not some franchise that’s serious about winning.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,079

Post#176 » by Chi town » Wed Nov 1, 2023 4:07 pm

League Circles wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I know the impact is unlikely to be significant, but this is just an epic fail by AK. Furthers the notion that he can't admit mistakes. Smfh

Exactly. He will say it’s because he believes in Dalen but it’s really because he wants to cover for his mistake and he thinks he could use him for salary filler trade.

The other issue is why stack a roster where a young player will never get Mins?!??

This is such AWFUL leadership on all sides.

Draft shooting you idiot!!!
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,062

Post#177 » by vxmike » Wed Nov 1, 2023 4:16 pm

Chicagoat wrote:Man what happened to our drafting? It never was that great, sure we had some hits here and there but we usually have our fair share of misses in recent years.. I understand scouting and drafting good players is very hard but good NBA franchises always find a way to find talent in the draft. I just don't want to go through a rebuild with this current front office regime because it would be just another repeat for when GARPAX did that rebuild post Butler.

The team appears incapable of drafting or developing young talent. They haven’t really hit on a pick since Jimmy.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,060

Post#178 » by FriedRise » Wed Nov 1, 2023 5:43 pm

vxmike wrote:
Chicagoat wrote:Man what happened to our drafting? It never was that great, sure we had some hits here and there but we usually have our fair share of misses in recent years.. I understand scouting and drafting good players is very hard but good NBA franchises always find a way to find talent in the draft. I just don't want to go through a rebuild with this current front office regime because it would be just another repeat for when GARPAX did that rebuild post Butler.

The team appears incapable of drafting or developing young talent. They haven’t really hit on a pick since Jimmy.

I think another element is that they keep swinging for the fences with their picks, putting a lot of weight on potentials based on the prospect's physical traits. Pat, Dalen, Philips, Ayo - all these guys are the long, athletic defensive-minded type who can do a little bit of everything and can play different positions. But because they're still so raw in many of the aspects of their game (they're all still so young), you have to spend a lot of time developing them before they're ready to contribute. But if they ever get there, you likely will end up with a stud.

So far, Ayo is the one who's looked the best because of how much of opportunity he's gotten AND how fast of a learner he is, but I remember how bad he looked his first couple games too even though he spent 3 years in college. He's closer to a mid/late 1st round selection talent-wise than a second rounder, so I'd say that was a steal.

Compare that to GarPax's drafting methods (the most recent ones anyway), going for the safer higher floor, lower ceiling picks. Coby, Carter, Lauri, Denzel, Bobby, McBuckets.. these guys are the exact opposite. Not much of an athlete, but they have a couple things they're already pretty good at so they're likely ready to contribute on Day 1. A lot of these guys are still in the NBA and have looked better than any of AKME's picks because of their high floor and they fit a role. You also know that we absolutely would've ended up with Haliburton (Iowa St!) if they were still in charge. We just threw away the broken clock before it could be right again.

Bringing it back to Dalen, I think he had to be a pivot pick because I believe they really wanted Tari Eason who was picked right before him. But even with how terrible he's looked, if he ever develops and reaches his potential, that's a two-way point forward who'd be stuffing the stat sheet (think Draymond Green). But on this team, we're requiring Draymond Green to shoot 3s to see the floor.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#179 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 5:56 pm

vxmike wrote:

We absolutely suck at player development but drafting was pretty solid under GarPax.

This is all relative to each player's draft position, but since Jimmy was drafted:

- Bobby Portis was a very good pick at 22

- Lauri was a great pick at 7

- WCJ was a solid pick at 7

- Coby was a solid pick at 7

- Gafford was a great pick at 38

- Ayo was a good pick at 38

It's notable that among these players, only Ayo was drafted under AKME. So we've historically been poor at developing players under both GarPax and AKME, but now it seems we're trending towards being poor at both developing AND drafting under AKME, as well as being poor at scouting and identifying talent, but I guess that goes hand in hand with drafting.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#180 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Nov 1, 2023 6:01 pm

MikeDC wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, Doug's (correctly) saying that Terry's contract could be used in a trade this year regardless of whether we picked up his third year option.

If we decline his option, Terry is an expiring contract. That's a small positive as a trade.

By picking up his option, he's still tradable, but whomever we'd trade him to is on the hook for paying him $5.4M next year. Which is, frankly, a negative.

In short, it's another bad decision.

$3.5M for next year, not $5.4M, the 5.4 figure is his fourth-year salary, if it gets picked up.

Return to Chicago Bulls