Image ImageImage Image

OT: Read a Book. Read many Books.

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Re: OT: Read a Book. Read many Books. 

Post#581 » by transplant » Sun Mar 1, 2015 9:22 pm

I recommend author John Hart (first novel - King of Lies). Action/mystery. Very literate and can tell a story.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Spimothy Leary
Head Coach
And1: 1,643

Post#582 » by Spimothy Leary » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:29 pm

DuckIII wrote:Doug and others: There is a lot of discussion about fantasy novels in this thread. I've gotten into fantasy the last 5-6 years, specifically because of A Song of Ice and Fire. Other than that, I'd not read any fantasy dating back to the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in my youth.

I've read all of the ASOIAF novels so far. I've read both of the Kingkiller Chronicles novels so far. And I'm about half-way through the 9th book of The Malazan Book of the Fallen series. All three of these are very, very different types of fantasy series, but I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them.

I'll probably finish Malazan in the next couple of months, so I'm going to be looking for something new while I wait for Martin and Rothfuss to get their **** together.

I suspect there will be a lot of fantasy I wouldn't like, so I'm a little hesitant. Others that sounded interesting to me that I am considering are The First Law series and The Black Company series. (I'm aware of Wheel of Time, but not currently interested.)

Any other recommendations and reasons why?

Michael Moorcock's Elric Of Melnibone,,, easy reads, several in the series: I thought the character's were compelling enough to read the entire series, read them wayyyy back in high school.

Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant Series: well done, especially the first 6, excellent character development, my only complaint is that he tended to use too many 5 dollar words starting in book 7 and beyond.

Roger Zelanzy Chronicles of Amber, havent read this since my college years but I remember really enjoying it, somewhat unique.

best short read is Robert Howards Black Vulmea's vengance, 4 short stories in a 150 page book: will remind you why Howard is considered one of the classic's.

I haven't read Mistborn but i've had two people insist that I try them, just haven't gotten around to it yet... I took a break off of fantasy for several years with the only exception being GOT, and got into other stuff.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,440

Post#583 » by ImSlower » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:16 pm

Modern fantasy nerd here as well!

I am also slogging through Toll the Hounds in my fifth or so attempt at finishing the non-Esselmont Malazan series. After that, I will be looking for something new as well!

I'd enormously recommend R Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy. A second trilogy has two more books out as well. It's absolutely fantastic. Not for the faint of heart - it is enormously complex, brutal, and at times completely baffling. Much like Malazan, in a sense.

I'm also a devout fan of anything Joe Abercrombie publishes. Gritty, page-turning works with plenty of bits of humor tossed in - something Bakker entirely ignores.

After I finally start (and finish) the Crippled God in the next month or so, I think I'll dive into Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet - the first one was fantastic, and I have been meaning to finish off the series.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,749

Post#584 » by dougthonus » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:04 am

Gar Paxdorf wrote:Thanks doug, I'm gonna try along came a spider - I've been looking to try a patterson book now i know where to start. I watch the bourne movies pretty much every weekend as they are on tv non stop. Love them. Not sure the book will be as awesome for me but i don't know?

I've since read the first four books in the Alex Cross series and probably won't continue. I enjoyed the first two books, but by book three he was already in a rut and it got no better in book four. I suspect the rest are similarly formulaic and bland.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
tedwilliams1999
Veteran
And1: 1,787

Post#585 » by tedwilliams1999 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:24 am

Is anyone interested in investing at all? I read a few books on personal finance over this past year (Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Millionaire Next Door), and now I was hoping to read something that has a few more specifics on what the options out there are. I'm still a complete noob as for as Investments are concerned.
kdapiton
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#586 » by kdapiton » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:03 am

Bro Mistborn was cray cray.

Spoiler:
Kinda sad though because I wanted a happily ever after (I know, lame). That twist with sazed in the end tho

Gonna start Madame Bovary soon for some elective class which I am not looking forward to. I always tell myself to shift genres for some time now, but fantasy is just too good. I was really looking forward to the Alloy of Law.
we go jim
TheEndIsNigh
Junior
And1: 472

Post#587 » by TheEndIsNigh » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:47 am

DuckIII wrote:Thanks doug. Thoughts on First Law and Black Company?

Hey Duck, it looks like you appreciate series with complex characters, expansive world building and tangled, subversive plot lines. Based on this I'll throw a couple series out there for your consideration. The first is Tad Williams, "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" series. It takes awhile to get rolling, but when it takes off it doesn't stop. The world is huge and the characters are deep. I recommend it highly. The second I haven't actually read yet, but it's been pushed by other Malazaan fans so I think it's worth mentioning, and that is Scott Bakker's, "The Prince of Nothing" series. It's supposed to be extraordinarily epic in scale and ambitious in story. It's on my short list, and you may want to look into it as well. I hope this helps.
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,311

Post#588 » by d boy gentleman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:35 am

Not that into fiction or novels at this point of my life so I've recently purchased 48 Laws of Power and Art of War for now. Will get The Undefeated Mind and Mastery after I'm done with the first 2. Really want to get back into reading even though I've been doing classes as of late and want to work towards my Masters eventually...
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#589 » by CoreyVillains » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:29 pm

Not sure if it has been recommended yet, but if you are a fan of Batman, I just read "Batman and Psychology" by Travis Langely which was an awesome read. It goes into psychological theory of Batman and all of his Villains and why they may act and do the things they do. It takes you through the history of the comics, tv shows,and movies and is very thorough. Definitely gives some cool perspective on some of the characters!
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,429

Post#590 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:11 pm

DuckIII wrote:Doug and others: There is a lot of discussion about fantasy novels in this thread. I've gotten into fantasy the last 5-6 years, specifically because of A Song of Ice and Fire. Other than that, I'd not read any fantasy dating back to the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in my youth.

I've read all of the ASOIAF novels so far. I've read both of the Kingkiller Chronicles novels so far. And I'm about half-way through the 9th book of The Malazan Book of the Fallen series. All three of these are very, very different types of fantasy series, but I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them.

I'll probably finish Malazan in the next couple of months, so I'm going to be looking for something new while I wait for Martin and Rothfuss to get their **** together.

I suspect there will be a lot of fantasy I wouldn't like, so I'm a little hesitant. Others that sounded interesting to me that I am considering are The First Law series and The Black Company series. (I'm aware of Wheel of Time, but not currently interested.)

Any other recommendations and reasons why?

Man you are going to love reading a different author. Erickson is great but it is so laborious. Try Sanderson.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#591 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:20 pm

As none of these are new books and all were bestsellers - I'm sure they've all been talked about - but if I could recommend three very different books/series:

The Prince of Nothing: The Darkness That Comes Before R. Scott Bakker
Classic fantasy with wizards, warlocks, the supernatural, and epic battles. The first book of a trilogy. Took a little bit for me to get into it - stopped and started several times over the last couple of years. Finally committed to reading it last year when on a flight to Germany - glad I did. Once I got into the meat of the story - I devoured it. Excited to finish the trilogy once I get a little time.

The Martian Andy Weir
Self-published through Amazon a couple of years ago - now coming to a theater near you as a Matt Damon vehicle. Great story about a mans survival on the red planet. One of the best I've read in a long while - cant recommend it enough.

Silo Series (Wool / Shift / Dust) Hugh Howey
Another self-published through Amazon - started out as a short story that was so well received that he just kept writing until he had three full length novels. Really interesting sci-fi, in a sort of M. Knight Shamalamadingdong kind of way. Fun read.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#592 » by jc23 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:46 pm

Be curious, Not judgmental
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#593 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:57 pm

jc23 wrote:http://deadline.com/2015/03/ready-playe ... 201398299/

please be good.

Such a good story - but so poorly written. I expect Spielberg will make a better movie than Cline did a book.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
kdapiton
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#594 » by kdapiton » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:45 pm

Having to read Madame Bovary for an elective class reminded me why I never ever want to deviate from the fantasy genre ever.

Sorry but I really don't give a **** about the every day trivial trials and moral dilemma of the French bourgeoisie thank you very much. Swords and castles please.
we go jim
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,749

Post#595 » by dougthonus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:56 am

I recently read: The Girl with all the Gifts

It was really enjoyable. I probably wouldn't have read it had I realized it was zombie book, but seriously, read it despite that fact. It's awfully good.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#596 » by jc23 » Sat Jun 6, 2015 3:25 am

Finished "War God" by Graham Hancock, it was ok, but im not sure i care to read the next two books in the trilogy.

My next reads will be American Gods by Neil Gaimen and the final book in the Strain series. Also reading the graphic novel "preacher", want to experience the story before Seth Rogen comes out with his TV version of it.
Be curious, Not judgmental
The 6ft Hurdle
Lead Assistant
And1: 493

Post#597 » by The 6ft Hurdle » Sat Jun 6, 2015 8:00 am

Always about nonfiction for me, and for every Friends of _____ Library sale, I'm sure to add a book or three.

It's been a while since I've actually read a book book (as opposed to something like a manual, textbook, how-to, etc) cover to cover, just finished Atul Gawande's Better, which is basically anecdotes about being a neurosurgeon, and expectations placed on them

Also, I am slogging through what is a classic: Society of Mind by Marvin Minsky, which to my surprise was a dollar at a library book sale. Slow, but I feel connected with what used to be my academic interests. I'll probably need to read through it again.
TLDR: Current Pulse Readings (9/2/22)
Bulls: :pray:
UCLA Basketball: :dontknow:
UCLA Football: Chip Kelly magic time
Cubs: Uh, 2016
Blackhawks: Uh, 2015
Bears: Poor Justin Fields
FC Barcelona: Economic levers :dontknow: :cheesygrin:
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#598 » by SHO'NUFF » Sat Jun 6, 2015 9:36 am

This is how i feel about this thread....

#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#599 » by SHO'NUFF » Sat Jun 6, 2015 9:37 am

Now that i got that out of the way.....has anyone read Devil in the White City?

Waiting for the Movie so i don't have to read the book.

I never knew about HH Holmes before hearing about this book. I did actually read a bit of it (as much as im not a reader) and it really got me into the history of Chicago in general. I really wish the 1893 Worlds Colombian Exposition structures still stood. Almost nothing is noticeable from the pictures. Maybe just a statue. I also purchased some memorabilia from the 1893 Colombian Exposition. This will probably be the first book i finish since 'Where's Waldo?'.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
bentheredengthat
General Manager
And1: 1,606

Post#600 » by bentheredengthat » Sat Jun 6, 2015 1:21 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:As none of these are new books and all were bestsellers - I'm sure they've all been talked about - but if I could recommend three very different books/series:

The Prince of Nothing: The Darkness That Comes Before R. Scott Bakker
Classic fantasy with wizards, warlocks, the supernatural, and epic battles. The first book of a trilogy. Took a little bit for me to get into it - stopped and started several times over the last couple of years. Finally committed to reading it last year when on a flight to Germany - glad I did. Once I got into the meat of the story - I devoured it. Excited to finish the trilogy once I get a little time.

damn if it was in Kindle that looks like something I'd like to read. Kindle has spoiled me, fortunately almost everything is available... but not this :cry:

The Martian Andy Weir
Self-published through Amazon a couple of years ago - now coming to a theater near you as a Matt Damon vehicle. Great story about a mans survival on the red planet. One of the best I've read in a long while - cant recommend it enough.

Silo Series (Wool / Shift / Dust) Hugh Howey
Another self-published through Amazon - started out as a short story that was so well received that he just kept writing until he had three full length novels. Really interesting sci-fi, in a sort of M. Knight Shamalamadingdong kind of way. Fun read.

YES! Loved both of these. I think I've read Silo 3 times.

Martian is unlike any book you'll read. Main character has such a personality & sense of humor. Bet it will be a great movie.

Every read the Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson? Would have been a good series but it's about 4X as long as it should be.

Any more Magilla? Sounds like we have the same taste in books.

Return to Chicago Bulls